Massive Sugar Plant Explosion in Georgia

Massive Sugar Plant Explosion in Georgia

There are 17 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Feb 7, 2008, titled Massive Sugar Plant Explosion in Georgia. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

An explosion and fire at a sprawling sugar refinery rattled this Savannah suburb Thursday night, severely injuring dozens of people and sending authorities into a nearby river to search for possible victims, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

DeLane

Orange Park, FL

#1 Feb 8, 2008
Prayers for the victims & the families. May God bless all of you & heal your wounds. Some of my family live in Port Wentworth, thankfully none were involved.
jsocuzn

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Feb 8, 2008
I HOPE THE 6 MISSING PEOPLE HAD CALLED IN SICK OR WERE ON LUNCH BREAK. MAY GOD BE WITH ALL THE FAMILY AND THE BURN VICTIMS THE HAVE A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF THEM .
Courtney

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Feb 8, 2008
How does a sugar plant explode. I hope other people are ok i dont want anyone hurt.
Courtney

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Feb 8, 2008
jsocuzn wrote:
I HOPE THE 6 MISSING PEOPLE HAD CALLED IN SICK OR WERE ON LUNCH BREAK. MAY GOD BE WITH ALL THE FAMILY AND THE BURN VICTIMS THE HAVE A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF THEM .

Me too I will pray for those families whos loved ones are missing.

Since: Feb 08

Savannah, GA

#5 Feb 8, 2008
Courtney wrote:
How does a sugar plant explode. I hope other people are ok i dont want anyone hurt.
Sugar dust oddly enough, is highly explosive. In the mills where it is kept, there is so much compression that something as simple as static can cause an explosion.

Since: Feb 08

Savannah, GA

#6 Feb 8, 2008
Thanks goes to those praying, this is such a horrific event for this city. Almost everyone who has grown up in Savannah has or has family that has worked in the sugar refinery at one point. Some, started there when they were 18 when it first opened, and retired there.
Jacki Turpin

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Feb 8, 2008
My thoughts and prayers are with their families. I myself was in the blast that happen here in Jacksonville in December and understand the horror and nightmares. Again god bless them

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Feb 9, 2008
this is a shame...prayers to everyone including the residents of the town. in such a small place everyone most likely knows someone who works there.

“It's not about me.”

Jacksonville

#9 Feb 9, 2008
Sugar is flammable and especially in dust form. The most explosive natural substance is grain dust. You used to hear about grain silo explosions rather frequently in the old days. Minute airborne combustible particles surrounded by plenty of oxygen and you have the makings for an explosion.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 9, 2008
dont forget that saw dust will explode as well.
citizen

Hillsborough, NJ

#11 Feb 9, 2008
This is very, very sad for the workers and the families, my heart goes out to them.
citizen

Hillsborough, NJ

#12 Feb 9, 2008
Just for anyone that may not know, non dairy creamer is flamable.

Location hidden

#20 Feb 9, 2008
as5lan wrote:
<quoted text>
baby i would sooner sit next to him than you..i dont like idiots..remember that is how to spell it hun i-d-i-o-t-s..got it,get it? good.
am i the only one who knows you are a female?

“It's not about me.”

Jacksonville

#21 Feb 9, 2008
scott1 wrote:
dont forget that saw dust will explode as well.
Yeah, they use the sawdust from pine stumps to make dynamite.

Location hidden

#24 Feb 9, 2008
as5lan wrote:
<quoted text>
zzzzzz....this is soooo repetative....
eh..ignore it..it will go away eventually....

“walkin the dream....”

Since: Dec 07

jacksonville,fl

#26 Feb 9, 2008
scott1 wrote:
<quoted text>
eh..ignore it..it will go away eventually....
but i am having so much fun! i have two days off with nothin better to do.
tatterhead9

Covington, LA

#27 Feb 11, 2008
I work at A sugar plant that get sugar from theme.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Wentworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Talent scout now charged with scamming six clients (Aug '08) Thu Know better 460
Review: Abbott, Greg DDS - Greg Abbott DDS (Jul '10) Sep 16 Celeste symthe 23
i have heard patricia heaton has dated black men Sep 15 gene 1
Interracial Dating (Feb '13) Sep 15 gene 33
Poll Is it bad my gf has slept with 80-90 men before... (Sep '13) Sep 13 Main man 46
News Nearly 540,000 ordered to flee Georgia coast ah... Sep 8 iKnow 2
dead beet shit head cops in port wentworth GA (Jul '08) Jul '17 Uncle Dew 82

Port Wentworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Wentworth Mortgages