Savannah Bound

Horse Cave, KY

#1 Feb 23, 2008
We are planning a move to Savannah in the next two years. We was in hopes of gathering information regarding some of the neighborhoods, housing prices, etc and thought we might start here by speaking to some of the Savannah locals on the forum.

The area we were looking at on moving to would be someplace in the Victorian district. Our plan is to buy one of the old two story homes and restore it to its original beauty and possibly use a portion of the home as a B&B and allow our home to make us money. We haved looked at a few homes in the neighborhoods of 34th & 35th Streets online and was wondering if these streets are quiet neighborhoods just outside the shopping and historical district or would this neighborhood be a bad choice? Should we look for another area of Savannah to live in? Our daughter will be attending SCAD, and we'd like to find something in relatively close proximity.
tom

AOL

#2 Feb 24, 2008
You couldn't pay me enough to live in downtown savannah. The thugs and home invaders come out after dark.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Feb 25, 2008
tom wrote:
You couldn't pay me enough to live in downtown savannah. The thugs and home invaders come out after dark.
I agree, downtown Savannah is only appealing if you are a tourist. Yes the history of this city is amazing and in the spring the scenery is beautiful, but it is a dangerous city, more so than it should be for its size and if I didn't work in Savannah I would keep my butt in Midway all the time. Where I live. I'd rather drive 45 minutes a day back and forth and live in a peaceful area than live in Savannah with all the thugs.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Feb 25, 2008
Savannah Bound wrote:
We are planning a move to Savannah in the next two years. We was in hopes of gathering information regarding some of the neighborhoods, housing prices, etc and thought we might start here by speaking to some of the Savannah locals on the forum.
The area we were looking at on moving to would be someplace in the Victorian district. Our plan is to buy one of the old two story homes and restore it to its original beauty and possibly use a portion of the home as a B&B and allow our home to make us money. We haved looked at a few homes in the neighborhoods of 34th & 35th Streets online and was wondering if these streets are quiet neighborhoods just outside the shopping and historical district or would this neighborhood be a bad choice? Should we look for another area of Savannah to live in? Our daughter will be attending SCAD, and we'd like to find something in relatively close proximity.
I wouldn't move to Savannah or Garden City. I hear the best schools for small children are in the Rincon area, but I am quite happy in Midway and Richmond Hill. Check out Richmond Hill is convienant to Savannah and most of the entire town is clean and safe.
Savannah Bound

Horse Cave, KY

#5 Feb 25, 2008
We have rented a house on St. Julian Street for our little jaunt we plan on making in June. Is St. Julian a safe are to stay for three nights and four days?

Appreciate your help folks, without a forum like this for folks to talk about things, I would not know where to turn.
Savannah is Nice

Richmond Hill, GA

#6 Feb 27, 2008
I have not heard anyone mention this but there are several housing developments in Godly Station in Pooler and Savannah Quarters located off of Pooler Parkway. A brand new school is being built in Godly Station. All of this is in West Chatham county. The houses start at around $200,000 on up with additional home association fees.
Savannah Bound wrote:
We have rented a house on St. Julian Street for our little jaunt we plan on making in June. Is St. Julian a safe are to stay for three nights and four days?
Appreciate your help folks, without a forum like this for folks to talk about things, I would not know where to turn.
Savannah is Nice

Richmond Hill, GA

#7 Feb 27, 2008
You will be staying right in the heart of the historical district. It is well patroled in that area. We stayed in corporate housing at the Merrit in Pooler when we relocated. It is really nice.
Savannah Bound wrote:
We have rented a house on St. Julian Street for our little jaunt we plan on making in June. Is St. Julian a safe are to stay for three nights and four days?
Appreciate your help folks, without a forum like this for folks to talk about things, I would not know where to turn.
Savannah Bound

Horse Cave, KY

#8 Feb 27, 2008
TY Savannah is Nice for the information. I am really looking forward to getting acquainted with the city some before we move there.

Can anyone tell me about the local hospitals, clinics, doc's offices in Savannah? I am a nurse by career choice and will be needing to find employment in the area.

My husband is a toolmaker by trade and was also wondering about large factories that may use toolmakers in their facilities. What the names of some of those places might be? He says to say thanks ahead of time for any info you may have.

Folks we sure do appreciate this info.:)
Savannah is Nice

Richmond Hill, GA

#9 Feb 29, 2008
There are a lot of factories in Savannah Metro. There is a lot of building going on, infrastructure being built and developing going on.

I know we have St. Joseph Candlier. http://www.sjchs.org/ It is a very nice facility. Memorial Health is the other facility. We have not visited that hospital. http://www.memorialhealth.com/
There are a lot of clinics and offices being added to the Pooler area.

Here are a few websites that have some information for the Savannah area.
http://www.ci.savannah.ga.us/cityweb/Savannah...
http://www.savannah.com/
http://www.savannahnow.com/
The Shooter

Savannah, GA

#10 Mar 2, 2008
Savannah is Nice wrote:
I have not heard anyone mention this but there are several housing developments in Godly Station in Pooler and Savannah Quarters located off of Pooler Parkway. A brand new school is being built in Godly Station. All of this is in West Chatham county. The houses start at around $200,000 on up with additional home association fees.
<quoted text>
Pooler is quickly becoming the section 8 town of Chatham County. Rising tax rates are making rental property disapper in Savannah and people are moving to Pooler. Pooler is nice but in 10 years, watch out!

Since: Oct 07

Port Wentworth, GA

#11 Mar 5, 2008
straight from savannah wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't move to Savannah or Garden City. I hear the best schools for small children are in the Rincon area, but I am quite happy in Midway and Richmond Hill. Check out Richmond Hill is convienant to Savannah and most of the entire town is clean and safe.
When we moved here we looked into the Rincon and Richmond Hill schools and found them mediocre at best. Even though the SCCPS have a large underclass, the Magnet and charter schools within the system offer the best educational opportunities in the region. Savannah Arts Academy is the only top ranked high school in the area and the Honors Academies at Derenne and Jenkins are good. Few if any successful Advanced Placement courses are offered in the other areas. Academics are not what makes the other county schools "Better".
http://savannahnow.com/node/355944

http://www.usnews.com/directories/high-school...
Savannah is Nice

Richmond Hill, GA

#12 Mar 6, 2008
I can't say that I know many section 8 people that can afford to live in $200,000-$1,000,000 homes. Obviously you have not been to Pooler lately to see all the sub-divisions being built.
You might be thinking about Garden City when you talk about Section 8.
The Shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
Pooler is quickly becoming the section 8 town of Chatham County. Rising tax rates are making rental property disapper in Savannah and people are moving to Pooler. Pooler is nice but in 10 years, watch out!
The Shooter

Savannah, GA

#13 Mar 8, 2008
Savannah is Nice wrote:
I can't say that I know many section 8 people that can afford to live in $200,000-$1,000,000 homes. Obviously you have not been to Pooler lately to see all the sub-divisions being built.
You might be thinking about Garden City when you talk about Section 8.
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to open you're eyes dumbass. I said in the next 10 years also. It's easy with section 8 and 10 people in a house.
louie

Fort Stewart, GA

#14 Mar 11, 2008
LYBERTY COUNTY. GA IS THE BEST PLACE.
Robert

Halethorpe, MD

#15 Mar 11, 2008
My wife and I have been looking into the Savannah area recently, and we've found some seemingly very nice houses online in a new neighborhood in Port Wentworth.

It looks like the city may be very close to the airport. Should this be a concern? Any other advice? Schools are not an issue for us, but we are looking for a family-friendly area.

Thanks in advance!
McKoon

Richmond Hill, GA

#16 Mar 13, 2008
howdy folks!
anyone with an idea about moving down here aught to subscribe to the 'Savannah Morning News' to get an idea of what's really goin' on...
we got all kinda things goin' on down here and we love for you to build your new foundation in our community.
there is nothing theres nothing more unpleasent than taking a wrong turn on a one way street.
i got an efficiency for a few months while i investigated the area i wanted to live in...i'd suggest the same for you.
By mentioning that your daughter is going to SCAD tells me much about the type of people you are. Which is excellent...the main hospitals are on @67th street. There is much hiring going on at Gulfstream which is in need for skilled tradesman/craftsmen.
As for moving to 34th or 35th st's...you couldnt pay me to live over there, no where near there...i'll drive right through it and stop at the lights but keep driving when they change...
I live on 55th and the houses in this area are around 220,000 up. location, location, location...

Since: Oct 07

Port Wentworth, GA

#17 Mar 22, 2008
Robert wrote:
My wife and I have been looking into the Savannah area recently, and we've found some seemingly very nice houses online in a new neighborhood in Port Wentworth.
It looks like the city may be very close to the airport. Should this be a concern? Any other advice? Schools are not an issue for us, but we are looking for a family-friendly area.
Thanks in advance!
I live in Port Wentworth on the developing side.
The developing areas of Port Wentworth are not in the approach/ departure path (crash Zone) and noise is not a problem. That area would be in Pooler, mostly in commercial areas.(Canal Street)
nick jonas lover

Metairie, LA

#18 Mar 24, 2008
I AM SAVANNAH PURCELLA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Wentworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Racist Walmart Employees Unpunished after... (Jul '13) Mar 2 amberrose 33
interesting Mar 1 not there yet 1
The Devil Fled Down to GA (Dec '09) Mar 1 meca 426
Talent scout now charged with scamming six clients (Aug '08) Mar 1 Friendly fire 454
Andres Felipe Blackburn Cardona Feb 28 Colombiana 1
interesting Feb 28 ahimsa 1
Interracial Dating (Feb '13) Feb 27 jtr304 19

Flood Warning for Chatham County was issued at March 06 at 8:03PM EST

Port Wentworth Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Port Wentworth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:57 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 5:57PM
Jones-Drew retires from NFL
ESPN 6:28 PM
Jaguars' Lee sues over loss-of-value policy
Bleacher Report 8:52 AM
Monster Hitter LB an Ideal Fit for Jaguars in Round 2
Bleacher Report 1:29 PM
Pre-Free Agency Salary Cap Update for Jaguars
Bleacher Report 2:08 PM
Veteran Sack Artist Headlines Falcons FA Big Board