List of LI school and other closings ...

List of LI school and other closings due to snow

There are 73 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 19, 2008, titled List of LI school and other closings due to snow. In it, Newsday reports that:

ACDS Plainview Plainview Child's World Nursery School - Port Washington Port Washington The Community Synagogue Early Childhood Center Port Washington Friends Academy Locust Valley Friends Together Nursery ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Chris

Holland, MI

#68 Dec 19, 2008
Calm Down wrote:
<quoted text>
Another OVER PAID Teacher speaks.
You know, I am tired of idiots saying teachers are overpaid. I have to beg, borrow, and scrape to pay over $50,000 in student loans,$1400 a month in daycare for one daughter, AND hundreds to get to work, buy supplies, and feed- yes feed the students who forget their lunches, snacks, and drinks EVERYDAY. So please, take your comment and shove it. I am up until 2 am every morning planning for 3 different levels of learning- low, middle and high. I spend my weekends planning lessons, grading piles of projects and work. I respond to parent complaints about the most trivial and irrelevant crap- yes, crap. I try to teach your sons and daughters to grow up to be respectful, responsible and tolerant human beings. I wipe their tears and their noses and I tell them it will be ok after you people send them to school with a teaspoon of tylenol and a bad cold. I love teaching. I truly do and I know I am great at it. What I can not stand is ignorant, disrespectful, know-it-alls who seem to disregard my work as being one of the toughest and thankless professions out there. Are we underpaid? YOU BET WE ARE! When you can doctor, counsel, mediate, direct, act, construct, parent, nurse, judge & jury, police and educate all in one job in one day like I do then you have the right to speak. Until then, go get a life.
Chris

Holland, MI

#69 Dec 19, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I am tired of idiots saying teachers are overpaid. I have to beg, borrow, and scrape to pay over $50,000 in student loans,$1400 a month in daycare for one daughter, AND hundreds to get to work, buy supplies, and feed- yes feed the students who forget their lunches, snacks, and drinks EVERYDAY. So please, take your comment and shove it. I am up until 2 am every morning planning for 3 different levels of learning- low, middle and high. I spend my weekends planning lessons, grading piles of projects and work. I respond to parent complaints about the most trivial and irrelevant ****- yes,****. I try to teach your sons and daughters to grow up to be respectful, responsible and tolerant human beings. I wipe their tears and their noses and I tell them it will be ok after you people send them to school with a teaspoon of tylenol and a bad cold. I love teaching. I truly do and I know I am great at it. What I can not stand is ignorant, disrespectful, know-it-alls who seem to disregard my work as being one of the toughest and thankless professions out there. Are we underpaid? YOU BET WE ARE! When you can doctor, counsel, mediate, direct, act, construct, parent, nurse, judge & jury, police and educate all in one job in one day like I do then you have the right to speak. Until then, go get a life.
AND I only make $48,000 a year. This is my 6th year teaching.
fritz fontaine

Mill Neck, NY

#70 Dec 19, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
AND I only make $48,000 a year. This is my 6th year teaching.
$48,000- you're just retarted. I started out in my field @ 22 years old making almost double that. Teachers complain about all the work they have to do outside of work and how hard it is and blah blah blah. Teachers do not work harder than anyone else...paid more or not. Secondly, I don't really feel bad for you b/c a) you CHOSE that job, and b) you work HALF as many days as I do and HALF as many hours a day doing it. Oh yeah and you get to lay on the beach all summer while all the rest of us are working. Also, you can sy you have to pay for daycare for your kid, but no one told you to have a kid. So, sorry I don't have one ounce of sympathy for you.
Chris

Holland, MI

#71 Dec 19, 2008
fritz fontaine wrote:
<quoted text>
$48,000- you're just retarted. I started out in my field @ 22 years old making almost double that. Teachers complain about all the work they have to do outside of work and how hard it is and blah blah blah. Teachers do not work harder than anyone else...paid more or not. Secondly, I don't really feel bad for you b/c a) you CHOSE that job, and b) you work HALF as many days as I do and HALF as many hours a day doing it. Oh yeah and you get to lay on the beach all summer while all the rest of us are working. Also, you can sy you have to pay for daycare for your kid, but no one told you to have a kid. So, sorry I don't have one ounce of sympathy for you.
What kind of student loan debt do you have, Fritz? I have never sat on the beach during a summer. I am either taking classes required by the state or teaching enrichment classes. You will never understand because you do not teach. I, too, at 22 years old made more money with an undergraduate degree in another field. I chose to leave because I new there was something better and I found it in teaching.$48,000 does not make a person rich financially- but it makes one a hell of a lot richer inside. My job, although trying at times, will never make me the obnoxious troll that you, sir, have made yourself out to be. I feel sorry for you that you get your jollies out of putting others down. How truly empty and sad.

Since: Jun 08

Melville, NY

#72 Dec 22, 2008
OK the storm has past and most schools stayed open. So you are all blowhards who just like to complain about teachers.
I'm not a teacher but I think this is a free country that allows everyone to choose their own job. Sorry you picked the wrong one.
You must

AOL

#73 Dec 22, 2008
I Heart LI wrote:
OK the storm has past and most schools stayed open. So you are all blowhards who just like to complain about teachers.
I'm not a teacher but I think this is a free country that allows everyone to choose their own job. Sorry you picked the wrong one.
be married to one then. Or your kid is a teacher.

The bottomline is teachers ARE OVERPAID and they accomplish this by stealing from taxpayers ... END OF STORY !!!

“Rockin' in the Free World”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#74 Dec 22, 2008
OldTimer55 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong, the idiots ruining the schools are the parents. Get a life grandpa.
I disagree, some parents are just idiots, and seeing your name, I'm younger Old Man.
Chris

Holland, MI

#75 Dec 22, 2008
You must wrote:
<quoted text>
be married to one then. Or your kid is a teacher.
The bottomline is teachers ARE OVERPAID and they accomplish this by stealing from taxpayers ... END OF STORY !!!
You know, you just made me feel better about moving off of Long Island- I no longer have to deal with ignorant moose like you everyday! There are bigger fish to fry about stealing your money than the teachers- try your elected officials, your Federal government, your LIPA, Your Cablevision, Your LIRR, Your unemployed by choice, uninsured, unwed, baby mommas, living off the systems.

“Politically Incorrect ”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#76 Dec 24, 2008
"Their" - Jesus, you're a Moron.
The unwashed wrote:
<quoted text>
Good going.. now you hurt there feelings and we'll never get home tonight...Thanks
Even my

AOL

#77 Dec 30, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, you just made me feel better about moving off of Long Island- I no longer have to deal with ignorant moose like you everyday! There are bigger fish to fry about stealing your money than the teachers- try your elected officials, your Federal government, your LIPA, Your Cablevision, Your LIRR, Your unemployed by choice, uninsured, unwed, baby mommas, living off the systems.
sister-in-law (who is a teacher in MD) agrees that the teachers on LI are WAY OVERPAID !!

She can't believe the amount of criminal activity the unions are able to get away with. But that's LI for you .. "the cesspool of corruption."
jack

Northwich, UK

#79 Feb 1, 2009
schools dont have electricity and teachers can't use there cars.

“Politically Incorrect ”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#80 Feb 6, 2009
"Their" - Jesus, you're a Moron.
jack wrote:
schools dont have electricity and teachers can't use there cars.
GEddy in Albany

West Sand Lake, NY

#81 Jan 21, 2011
The problem is we have no actual statistics here. How many buses went off the road when there was fewer snow days. Perhaps we are kinder and gentler today toward our children rather then the days when children were "Seen but not heard" Sure...get them to shovel, but don't put their lives at risk on icy roads during chaotic weather. And for those people who think its a play day for the teachers...think again...they will be making up any excess snow days in June so, they are NOT being given a free ride.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gangstalking.com 10 hr Marked 1
News Bayville bans bonfires, will impose fines (Jun '09) 19 hr Big carmine 67
Why do people like Bayville? (Jun '08) 19 hr Big carmine 26
News Cuomo stumps for Mayer in heated special election Apr 24 BDS 2
NRHS Fire 1968 (Feb '09) Apr 23 Den Glecker 57
News Store owner charged in sale of fake Gibson guit... (Sep '07) Apr 22 P Malone 54
New Rochelle (Sep '07) Apr 21 Nick Gaza 3,404

Port Washington Jobs

Personal Finance

Port Washington Mortgages