Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter...

Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter bicyclist

There are 104 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 22, 2011, titled Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter bicyclist. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

An ode to the winter bicyclist, as imagined he might be. Jim was certain that he was bothering traffic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
MNNice

Minneapolis, MN

#105 Jan 28, 2011
You forget: They can't read. They can only think of...SPANDEX!
Morgan Christian

Minneapolis, MN

#106 Jan 28, 2011
Wow Joe! After all these years of hate'n your guts and especially after becoming a victim of yours last june. You write something that doesn't boil my blood. I like to ride in the winter if there is less or no snow. This fifty five year old body won't bounce the way it used to. So I slide around on my skinny skis and fall into the fluffy snow when possible. You and your little band of brothers write about the athletic endeavors of celebrated others, yet don't seem to understand the concept of personal fitness and what is required to maintain it. Or for that matter, the joy of living lightly upon this earth. Maybe this hometown St.Paul, former Press Dispatch paperboy can see things differently.
Cyclist who knows

Minneapolis, MN

#107 Oct 19, 2014
Only suicidal psychopaths would dare ride a bicycle in winter's deep freeze! No less than one would try to beat a train at a railroad crossing, even when the train is less than 5 seconds away and barrelling towards you at 60 miles per hour. Don't you know, people!? Your SWEAT saturates winter clothes quickly! Even dressed in layers, those layers only provide brief temporary protection from the cold, until your sweat saturates them from the inside out, reducing and eventually eliminating their insulating capabilities, and leaving you totally exposed to the deep freeze and certain hypothermia, as your sweat then acts as a conductor, pulling heat out and pulling the cold in.

Additionally to that, ice patches, when run over on only two wheels, will send you immediately cartwheeling straight into the ground, which in the middle of a deep freeze, is commonly as hard as solid cast iron! It is also of my understanding that metal-studded bicycle tires are illegal in the United States of America.
BoHawg

Commerce, GA

#108 Oct 24, 2014
Derek wrote:
I would love to ride a bike in the winter. Anyone know what would be a good bike to buy? I heard the Pugsley was god but it is a bit expensive.
Nah. The Pugsley isn't God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Platinum Dental (Sep '11) Wed mjohnson 5
News Sequim Schools' survey says community would sup... Jul 22 Kerozene 1
News Port Townsend City Council considers committee ... Jul 10 Banicki Harvey 1
leighton huerta (Oct '11) Jun '16 him 2
News Basics of Islam offered during two discussions ... May '16 The Prophet MO Sm... 3
anyone remember doug roberson???? (Mar '12) May '16 Paul Bain 3
News Air quality mostly good in Port Townsend, study... Mar '16 AynRandsLeftHand 1

Port Townsend Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Townsend Mortgages