Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter...

Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter bicyclist

There are 104 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 22, 2011, titled Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter bicyclist. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

An ode to the winter bicyclist, as imagined he might be. Jim was certain that he was bothering traffic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mike

West Des Moines, IA

#1 Jan 23, 2011
I started riding year 'round 3 years ago and love it. You captured the reasons I ride in the winter just about perfectly; desire to fend off the 'I can't ride my bike' blues, the rugged individualness and challenge, saving gas money, and just otherwise being a physical specimen to behold (still working on that part).

I commute about a mile each way every day on mostly sleepy 2 AM residental roads here in Waseca, MN (pop 10,000) and even ride out on the lake ice because I also have Nokian studded tires for my bike. During the other months of the year, I use another bike to tackle all the lovely gravel roads in our state, and particularly love the Iron Range and Duluth areas for a great getaway on the bike.

Since: Feb 08

Springfield, MO

#2 Jan 23, 2011
Bicycles are for people too lazy to walk.
candyman

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 23, 2011
Good piece Joe... You da man. I was though a bit taken a back by you not being more critical of these types. You must recognize the "primal toughness" of people who choose to do something like this. I am not quite that tough. I'll start commuting by bike for the first time when winter is gone. 12 miles from Frogtown to VA in Minneapolis. I expect to get pretty fit and let my mind wander (safely) twice a day. Looking forward to it.
Old Vet

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 23, 2011
They say God protects idiots, drunkards, and children. Must be true.
Derek

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jan 23, 2011
I would love to ride a bike in the winter. Anyone know what would be a good bike to buy? I heard the Pugsley was god but it is a bit expensive.
Simple observation

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 23, 2011
After reading the article I have come to a simple conclusion, Joe, I think you may be suffering from Alzheimer’s or Dementia. You wrote the article as if you are Mark Twain writing about Huck Finn.
Kirk

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 23, 2011
Beautifully written, Joe. Kinda makes me want to try winter biking (and I never thought I'd be saying that).
C and J

AOL

#8 Jan 23, 2011
When will the Pioneer Press Get it though their pea-brains, that Joe just keeps rehashing old topics from old writings he`s done year after year after year after year after year after year after year..........

Good lord, he`s used the "winter bike" thing forever!

Hay Joe, retire already!
Mary White-Homes

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 23, 2011
Why all the hate'n on Joe? Although he's a lefty, he's our lefty, and the closest thing the PP has to a Conservative. Back off and let Joe ride.
Wheres Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Where's Joe? Who wrote his column,James Goodhue IV?
Walt Kowalski

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jan 23, 2011
C and J wrote:
When will the Pioneer Press Get it though their pea-brains, that Joe just keeps rehashing old topics from old writings he`s done year after year after year after year after year after year after year..........
Good lord, he`s used the "winter bike" thing forever!
Hay Joe, retire already!
I don't recall Joe writing a winter bike column in recent winters. Why don't you enlighten us as to when such a column was published?
Nothappy2paymore

Kansas City, MO

#12 Jan 23, 2011
Where is the medallion Joe? We know your the clue writer.
Taylor

Portland, OR

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Good article. Whenever I go for night jogs in the winter I think the same stuff. It's cool and refreshing to be out there too. Makes you think.
Dr Evil

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 23, 2011
Nothappy2paymore wrote:
Where is the medallion Joe? We know your the clue writer.
I don't like to correct people but you meant "clueless writer".
Norm Sukcx

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 23, 2011
Lefty? LEFTY? I hope you mean that Joe is left-handed.
Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 23, 2011
Pave the Earth, Joe. Pave the Earth.

You miserable, miserable person.
Patriot

AOL

#18 Jan 23, 2011
I wonder where are all those Critical Mass nuts are that will clog the streets during the summer?
Liberal Bill in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 23, 2011
Jeffrey MacDonald wrote:
When I see a bicycle on the street peddling in the snow, watch for finger and horn from my 5000# SUV.
Big man hidding in a big truck. I'll bet this driver wouldn't stand face to face with the cyclist to give him the "salute". Some drivers are so possesive about their turf. A real man is courtious and a gentleman. And the ladies don't like truck driv'n gas burners, they respect a fit cyclist more.

“Government breeds Poverty”

Since: Jan 11

Woodbury

#20 Jan 23, 2011
Yea keep the peddling bikes on the sidewalks and off the road. They are a nuisance.
Soros funded NPR

United States

#21 Jan 23, 2011
Can't stand these biking fruit cakes in their spandex, grow up and grow a pair.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sequim Schools' survey says community would sup... Aug 5 Im Awake Now 2
Review: Platinum Dental (Sep '11) Jul '16 mjohnson 5
News Port Townsend City Council considers committee ... Jul '16 Banicki Harvey 1
leighton huerta (Oct '11) Jun '16 him 2
News Basics of Islam offered during two discussions ... May '16 The Prophet MO Sm... 3
anyone remember doug roberson???? (Mar '12) May '16 Paul Bain 3
News Air quality mostly good in Port Townsend, study... Mar '16 AynRandsLeftHand 1

Port Townsend Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Townsend Mortgages