School handcuffs 6-year-old, sends he...

School handcuffs 6-year-old, sends her to mental facility

There are 317 comments on the www.tcpalm.com story from Feb 11, 2010, titled School handcuffs 6-year-old, sends her to mental facility. In it, www.tcpalm.com reports that:

A 6-year-old Port St. Lucie girl being disruptive at school first was handcuffed to bring her under control.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.tcpalm.com.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Parden pard

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Feb 11, 2010
The little kid does not like the Nazi brain washing classes....she's a free spirit and needs an appropriate environment....

“Commentaries”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 11, 2010
I wish these headlines weren't so negative.

“ the old fart”

Since: Nov 09

millicent

#3 Feb 11, 2010
I wish I had handcuffs when my kids were of that age. BOY can they be little ######s .

Since: Aug 09

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Feb 11, 2010
It's not as bad as it sounds. They were Smurf themed handcuffs.
ICU812

Swannanoa, NC

#5 Feb 11, 2010
Hell, I'm surprised they didn't tase her!
stupid cops

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Plum, Purplonia

#6 Feb 11, 2010
I admit the kid has a problem, but this is extreme. If this is acceptable, then why weren't her name-callers tazed? And how much do you want to bet that her name-callers were set-up or paid by the faculty to harass this child?

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Well I don't doubt this children has a problem and needs to go somewhere. It may call for restraints in the Student Handbook. Personally, I would have put her in a room and sat on the other side.
LuckyGal

Coxsackie, NY

#8 Feb 11, 2010
greeneyedmexi wrote:
Well I don't doubt this children has a problem and needs to go somewhere. It may call for restraints in the Student Handbook. Personally, I would have put her in a room and sat on the other side.
And glared at her until she submits?

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#9 Feb 11, 2010
this kid needs to be put into therapy to undo all of this now!!!!
-
This is exactly the sort of bullying that leads to incidents like columbine, the teacher clearly had no control of the class if they were all teasing her.
-
What a friggin' load.
Charles P

Lawrenceville, GA

#10 Feb 11, 2010
There is NO REASON for this.
The teachers should have stopped the teasing, and used the event to teach kids to get along with others.
They are old enough to be taught that, at least as much as possible.(No, I do not expect small kids to be perfect.)

I have seen too many cases like this where school taechers need to be talked to and have it explained to them that polite/respectful social interaction between students is part of running the classroom.(Again, allowing for some mistakes with younger kids, who are still learning these skills.)
podunk

Corydon, IA

#11 Feb 11, 2010
Yeah, it takes a whole platoon of cops to handle a 40 pound 6 year old...
podunk

Corydon, IA

#12 Feb 11, 2010
Stephany McDowell wrote:
I wish these headlines weren't so negative.
If they wern't negative, people would'nt read 'em, would they??
Gummy

Butler, PA

#13 Feb 11, 2010
Teachers dont care...When they graduate with there 3.o, get a job and automaticly in the teachers union starting at 45,000 a year they dont have a worry till they retire. They get 3mo vacatiopn every year, buy there lesson plans over the internet and even get a teachers aide to do all the grunt work. what a scam.

“behind curtain #1”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#14 Feb 11, 2010
When this little girl kicked the 7 or 8 months pregnant school worker in the stomach,this 40 pounder needed some stern control.Since she's a kicker,the cops should of foot cuffed her feet instead of her hands.But yes,the cops were a little extreme in what they did,but she definitely needed to be controlled.

“Now do whats right!”

Since: Jan 09

Doolittle, Mo.

#15 Feb 11, 2010
Gummy wrote:
Teachers dont care...When they graduate with there 3.o, get a job and automaticly in the teachers union starting at 45,000 a year they dont have a worry till they retire. They get 3mo vacatiopn every year, buy there lesson plans over the internet and even get a teachers aide to do all the grunt work. what a scam.
"3.o," we see why you don't agree with the teaching profession.
Russ

AOL

#16 Feb 11, 2010
Yogalattelover wrote:
THE Passing of Common Sense,
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.
Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a Band-aid to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.
Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone
From Russ:
Very powerful, thank you Yoga.
I'd like to add that as a child whom got spanked at school a few times, by different teachers, over different years, for different reasons, that I LEARNED something from each incident. At its lowest form I learned that there was one teacher to not mess with, still it was a good lesson. People SHOULD know that there are people you can't mess with. At its highest form, of which I am still thankful for, I got paddled by a principal for calling a black kid the n-word and she also took the time to explain EXACTLY why this was not acceptable. I was just repeating my father's stupid crap, and I was horrified that I had said something to that kid so hateful. I wasn't going to learn that lesson at home.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Plum, Purplonia

#17 Feb 11, 2010
LuckyGal wrote:
<quoted text>And glared at her until she submits?
Or a pillow fight, or a good tickling?

Since: Jul 07

Vancouver, Canada

#18 Feb 11, 2010
I see a future psychopath in the making.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#19 Feb 11, 2010
No body needs this kind of trash in school with their kids.
Kudos to all for clearing the garbage out so education can begin.
dave

Brattleboro, VT

#20 Feb 11, 2010
home skooling would be appropriate fot this gurl

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port St. Lucie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Art by 'Florida Highwaymen' on display in Montr... 27 min Jimmy Carter 2
Review: FUR Dogs Only (Jan '12) 20 hr Sharon 3
Evan McMullin, former CIA agent, in race agains... Thu EvanMcMullin4prez 3
Fort Pierce - America's Armpit ! Wed Dirk Diggler 1
How many guys have screwed Janetta Ball Aug 20 Boner 4
News Florida's water woes are bad and getting worse.... Aug 18 HAHAHAHAHA 4
LAHIA enabling criminals to victimize you. (Feb '14) Aug 13 Paragon of Virtue 19

Port St. Lucie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port St. Lucie Mortgages