Lewistown Sentinel - Worst Newspaper In the World

Posted in the Port Royal Forum

First Prev
of 52
Next Last
Lewistown Resident

United States

#1 Aug 4, 2008
I'm extremely frustrated with the local news coverage in the Lewistown area, primarily the Lewistown Sentinel.

The Sentinel does not follow up on local stories, treat 70% of their employees like crap, no local community sponsorship or support, consistently substitute liberal dogma for 'facts'(which it then prints as 'news') and conjures the most knee-jerk editorials I've ever seen. Remember this one Hows this for an exclusive? I just heard the greatest tales from a 'soldier' in a barber shop, its front page material. The Sentinel ran the story on and then found out that it was all made up from one of the biggest BSers in Lewistown.

Has anybody else ever noticed that the police report is usually anywhere but Mifflin County? It usually has to do with the crime in Juniata County and every so often has some reports about the Mifflin County area.

My real problem is the amount of space this paper dedicates to news. There is very little in the paper and I am hard-pressed to find local news in the whole paper. Until the philosophy up in Highland Park changes, the people of Lewistown will be poorly served by their daily newspaper.

I'm done supporting this newspaper. Its not even worth using for lining my hamster cage.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#2 Aug 4, 2008
I am sure glad someone besides me is not happy with the news coverage in Mifflin County. If you just listen to the scanner information that they will tell you anymore ( most of that is done with cell phones ) but if you put together the bits and pieces you do get and then go to the Mifflin County Correction Facility website and see how many people are going to jail and for what reason, then you will really see how much crime is being hidden here in Mifflin County. I am with you after buying this Sentinel for a lot of years, I am ready to give it up. As a side note ,I put the Sentinel in the Bird cage the other day when we ran out of gravel paper, and I think the bird was still reading the paper, at least it was looking it over pretty good. I don't think it saw anything interesting just different than what it was use to seeing in the gravel paper.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#3 Aug 4, 2008
Lewistown Resident wrote:
I'm extremely frustrated with the local news coverage in the Lewistown area, primarily the Lewistown Sentinel.
The Sentinel does not follow up on local stories, treat 70% of their employees like crap, no local community sponsorship or support, consistently substitute liberal dogma for 'facts'(which it then prints as 'news') and conjures the most knee-jerk editorials I've ever seen. Remember this one Hows this for an exclusive? I just heard the greatest tales from a 'soldier' in a barber shop, its front page material. The Sentinel ran the story on and then found out that it was all made up from one of the biggest BSers in Lewistown.
Has anybody else ever noticed that the police report is usually anywhere but Mifflin County? It usually has to do with the crime in Juniata County and every so often has some reports about the Mifflin County area.
My real problem is the amount of space this paper dedicates to news. There is very little in the paper and I am hard-pressed to find local news in the whole paper. Until the philosophy up in Highland Park changes, the people of Lewistown will be poorly served by their daily newspaper.
I'm done supporting this newspaper. Its not even worth using for lining my hamster cage.
You did not mention it, but Wgal TV which holds town meetings with this newspaper and radio stations is not much help in reporting what goes on here either. If you are a Dish Network user, they will not allow you to get your local news from Altoona , you have Lancaster and Harrisburg as your local channels and they don't report like Altoona does.

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#4 Aug 5, 2008
The problem is that the Sentinel is the only show in town so they can do what they want. They could care less if you don't spend 50 cents on their paper, the profit is made from the advertisers anyhow.

On the flip side of this, its not just the Sentinel attempting to cover up the local crime, its the Mifflin County Regional Police Department as well. They very rarely release information to the media unless its something that makes them look really good. If you pay attention you'll notice most mifflin-county related crime reports that make it to the media are the ones that the State Police handled, because they release their reports to the media. That's why you see a lot of huntingdon/juniata county reports as well.
Amishville Res

University Park, PA

#5 Aug 5, 2008
You're right, at least the area that I am in carries the Huntingdon Daily News and the CDT. I have been purchasing these papers rather than the Sentinel. I often wonder how their processes work. They bring you the news when it first happens, but that's about all you hear. How about following up, even if it's just to say nothing has happened or interviewing people after some time has passed. Good example, the incident that happened over at WTLR a few weeks ago. This past Sunday, the CDT ran a two page story on the perpetrator. They began early in the man's life and followed it up right to the time he was shot. Talking to family, friends and people from his past. When have you ever seen the Sentinel do something like this. Not to mention that as soon as there is late breaking news, the CDT has it on their website. They don't wait until the following day.

Also, I have known some people that work/have worked at the Sentinel. They have all said that if you work in the right areas, you are treated like you are on a pedestal. There are some employees who work in a back room and they are treated like dirt. I have only dealt with them a few times for classifieds and special things and I can tell you that their customer service skills are equivalent to a rock. They show no courtesy or compassion, always about the bottom dollar. I hate to stereotype, but I would be willing to be my bottom dollar the woman I spoke to was blonde who seriously lacked common sense and academic intelligence so they put her at a desk answering phone calls.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#6 Aug 5, 2008
JunkE wrote:
The problem is that the Sentinel is the only show in town so they can do what they want. They could care less if you don't spend 50 cents on their paper, the profit is made from the advertisers anyhow.
So why not change the name of the Sentinel to the Lewistown Shopper instead of being a newspaper, and make it free ,let advertisers pay for it .

Lewistown, PA

#7 Aug 5, 2008
<quoted text>
So why not change the name of the Sentinel to the Lewistown Shopper instead of being a newspaper, and make it free ,let advertisers pay for it .
That's a good idea actually.
Amishville Res

University Park, PA

#8 Aug 5, 2008
I third that motion.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#9 Aug 5, 2008
People need to start listing things that deserve attention here, and let the Sentinel know if they don't want to report the news ,there are other ways for it to get out. A good place to start is Why is a young girl, that just had her 16th birthday last month,in the Mifflin County Correction Facility? It says she has charges of simple assault, aggravated assualt, and purchasing alcohol as a minor. With all the money that we put into programs,do you think this is the best place for this young girl to start out her life? Since the newspaper does not seem to want to report,Does anyone know what this young girl done to deserve jail? 16 YEARS OLD.

Lewistown, PA

#10 Aug 6, 2008
Since the newspaper does not seem to want to report,Does anyone know what this young girl done to deserve jail? 16 YEARS OLD.
She's a transfer from Perry County, she stabbed somebody:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/inde...

She's schizophrenic, so I'm with you in thinking that jail is not the best place for her at this young age.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#11 Aug 6, 2008
Thanks JunkE , but isn't that the kind of hiding information we are talking about here in Mifflin County. I guess they figured if they are going to hide her this would be a good place to do it. The Sentinel failed to report that story yet they brought her to our town.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#12 Aug 6, 2008
The way they do things here in Mifflin County, Don't be surprised if you see the Correction Facility not being available to the Public now .
Amishville Res

University Park, PA

#13 Aug 6, 2008
JunkE wrote:
<quoted text>She's a transfer from Perry County, she stabbed somebody:
http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/inde...
She's schizophrenic, so I'm with you in thinking that jail is not the best place for her at this young age.
Amazing, MC residents have to go to surrounding area newspapers to get news pertaining to MC.

Lewistown, PA

#14 Aug 6, 2008
It was reported on WMRF and is on their website, but as always the Sentinel must have decided it wasn't "newsworthy" enough, so instead we got to read about who gets a free basket of breastfeeding supplies and what kind of chainsaws will be at the local fair......
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#15 Aug 6, 2008
Another thing they should be talking about is who is going the conduct the hearings for the ex-cop that was charged with indecent assault, You would not think it would be fair to the 19 yr old female if they use our DJ or Judges. He worked with them. This story was big enough to land him in jail, but it was kind of sneeky how they done it . He went to jail Late Friday night or early Sat morning, then the Correction Facility website was down Friday evening until Late Monday morning until after the Press Release. Coincidence or was it planned that way? He was released from jail the same day as the press release. June 30. I can't imagine this happening to this ex- policeman , he did not seem like the type. Isn't that the way it always appears in these kind of things.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#16 Aug 7, 2008
We go from real young to elderly, we now had a senior citizen go to jail yesterday for a violent act or regulation. I wonder if she hit someone with her cane or she slapped someone? She is 68 years old.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#17 Aug 7, 2008
Seems like Lewistown is not short on news , we have lots of it, but we only read about the out of the area things. Remember we still have a couple homicide cases that are suppose to be investigated, We have at least three or four cases of children that are no longer with us that they are suppose to be investigating. We have a lot of sex crimes,some as repeat offenders that are sitting in jail with no trial in site. Then to get away from the crime issues we have and go to the business end,I was reading the sentinel once and I saw this Legal Notice in the cassified section, It said Armagh Township was advertising for police officers to start in 2009.So I write to the Sentinel and ask what that was all about , are they not happy with the service from Mifflin County Regional Police Dept. or do they need more coverage that they cannot afford to pay Regional for it. There is some reason they advertised for policemen. The Sentinel said they would run a story on it. I am still waiting to see what is up there. I did see several comments in the openline about it so there are other people with interest to what is going on there. Another thing I noticed that since the Granville Police Chief Retired and is now our commissioner, There is less police reports in the sentinel from there. Don't go so fast, there probably is not less crime,but they now fell into the way of the Regional police and do not want to report. Is that township also close to being gobbled up by Regional?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#18 Aug 7, 2008
The Sentinel could also be talking about the free Health Clinic that was suppose to devert traffic from the Lewistown Hospital ER. How is the system to work so it is not another welfare system. Making people that can afford to pay ,do it, not just avoid having insurance because it might keep them from having enough money for their next vacation.
Amishville Res

University Park, PA

#19 Aug 7, 2008
Seems like Lewistown is not short on news , we have lots of it, but we only read about the out of the area things. Remember we still have a couple homicide cases that are suppose to be investigated
Absolutely right! They may report and stay hot on the topic when it first happens, but where do these things stand now? They need to follow up on local news of interest, even it is to say that a reporter spoke with so and so and this is what they said. They'll wait until an arrest is made, but heaven forbid if they would get off of their lazy butts to inquire themselves. Heck, they wouldn't even have to get off their lazy butts, just pickup the phone.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#20 Aug 11, 2008
We had some Criminal mischief this weekend, attempting to break in businesses, we had some spray painting on buildings behind the Coleman House,we had some cars broken into and items stolen, we had someone steal thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Walmart. We had items stolen from a contractor doing work in our area. We had the Robbery at the McVEYTOWN Un-Mart,and lots of other things and what do we see on the front page of the Sentinel? Someone painting the swing set in McClure,Someone riding a bike to school instead of their car,and a story about a fish. Seems like when about Thursday rolls around the Sentinel starts winding down to get to the weekend where they have off, then it takes them until Tuesday or Wednesday to get back to reporting anything. So you get about three days of news in a week . Inside the paper on the opinion page, they ask what these people are doing to help make their neighborhood safer? The most answers were, call the police, I wonder how many of them people ever seen anything in the police report(there is not many police reports, only from outside the area) where their information is making a difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Royal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2015, a big election year in Mifflin County Nov 19 Ziggy 2
Support group for cys victims (Jul '13) Nov 16 Wendy Cornelius 55
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Nov 16 ahinojos69 29
Street Cleaner (Apr '09) Nov 14 mickey 32
Fugitive caught in Lewistown Nov 9 Jamie 1
What happened to the flower shop on Ort valley ... Nov 7 Jilylyn 1
Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Oct 26 nike free runs 5 10
Port Royal Dating
Find my Match

Port Royal People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Port Royal News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Port Royal

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:48 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:48PM
Tennessee Titans vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Video Highlights, Recap from Week 12