Pain-clinic crackdown stalled

Pain-clinic crackdown stalled

There are 24 comments on the Palm Beach Post story from Jan 16, 2011, titled Pain-clinic crackdown stalled. In it, Palm Beach Post reports that:

Drug users in Florida are dying of pill overdoses at a rate of seven per day as measures aimed at curbing crooked pain clinics are held up in a thicket of delays and setbacks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Palm Beach Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 17, 2011
Oh come on I don't buy that story,sounds more like another FEAR story to help them keep Oxy's OP's out there or cover up the New Heroin Usage because OC's are done...
sugarbowl

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jan 18, 2011
I know what it's like to be in severe pain for a long period of time and have no choice but to take opiates to get pain relief. I also know that if you take them for a long time you will need more and more to get pain relief. I know that you will become dependent on them & have a hard time getting off of them.

On the other hand I know what it's like to order hydrocodone on line from many websites at the same time & take 10-20 pills a day and stay really messed up & do it just to get high, no pain, until I you try to stop taking them.

I know these things because I have been in both of the situations I have described. I tried to wean myself off the meds and was successful but it was very, very hard. I have now been drug free (except for pot) for 10 months & I feel great. I learned that if you are in real pain & need pain meds, then take them but be very careful & get off of them as soon as you can. If you're taking them just to get high, it's a very expensive high & you're going to become dependent (addicted). It's a dead end street, you can't take them forever, something will have to give, it could easily cause death by overdose.

Since: Nov 10

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Jan 27, 2011
imight wrote:
they should not demonize the pills or the doctors because some people are not responsilbe
This guy is a scammer.
Happy

Port Charlotte, FL

#6 Feb 18, 2011
The pill don,t stop the cause of the pain,
The truth

New Port Richey, FL

#7 Feb 18, 2011
I'm in severe pain all the time, and i opted out of taking any pain meds.
I belive people who really need them could get a benifit from such meds.
But the people who take them to get high are worthless, and should think of a nice clean way of disposing of their selves

“ZIPPY is checking my script”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8 Feb 18, 2011
Happy wrote:
The pill don,t stop the cause of the pain,
True... but in many circumstances it makes life livable for some.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 3, 2011
The truth wrote:
I'm in severe pain all the time, and i opted out of taking any pain meds.
I belive people who really need them could get a benifit from such meds.
But the people who take them to get high are worthless, and should think of a nice clean way of disposing of their selves
it is all relative. if you can get by without pain meds then your pain is not that severe.(not saying in any way that you are not in pain) but there are people that cannot walk at all or get out of bed for that matter without the help of medication and P Therapy.

i think it is great that you can endure your pain without taking any medication. i wish i could say the same. and saying that someone who has a disease... yes addiction is a disease - should off themselves is pretty cruel. do you think most addicts want to live the lifestyle they live?

many have chemical imbalances that are never treated (or diagnosed for that matter). they make ONE wrong decision one day and decide to try opiates and all of a sudden their brian is functioning differently and they feel a bit better. before they know it, they are into full blown addiction. these people need help, not prison or offing themselves, but HELP from the medical community to get them on the proper medications to treat the root cause of what started their addiction.

you would be surprised how many functioning addicts there are that go to work everyday. MANY in the medical field.
The truth

United States

#10 Mar 3, 2011
Yes i am saying junkies (people who abuse pills) should indeed off their selves, better yet they should invite a whole group of their pill head friends.
I think alot of this crap could be solved by legalizing marijuana, people dont need opiates to work through pain.
to all high and mighties

Nicholasville, KY

#11 Apr 25, 2011
POT IS A DRUG!!! Anybody who says pot should be legalized is just like a pill head. ANYTHING THAT ALTERS YOUR MIND IS A DRUG. IT IS NOT ANY BETTER THAN THE PILLS. My brother is the same way he thinks pot is not a drug but when he smokes it he is a different person. so if you legalize pot then the pills should be legal to. i am a pill head myself. i do need them. i have a crushed hip and 3 herniated discs in my back so if pot is legalized then the pills should be too. pot doesnt have any medical help regardless of what they say
realitycheck

Boynton Beach, FL

#12 Apr 25, 2011
to all high and mighties wrote:
POT IS A DRUG!!! Anybody who says pot should be legalized is just like a pill head. ANYTHING THAT ALTERS YOUR MIND IS A DRUG. IT IS NOT ANY BETTER THAN THE PILLS. My brother is the same way he thinks pot is not a drug but when he smokes it he is a different person. so if you legalize pot then the pills should be legal to. i am a pill head myself. i do need them. i have a crushed hip and 3 herniated discs in my back so if pot is legalized then the pills should be too. pot doesnt have any medical help regardless of what they say
pot doesnt have any medical qualities regardless of what the scientific evidence proves? Are you insane? Cannabis has a LARGE therapeutic index much more than these pills. And pills are legal genius, you just need a script. A drug must be processed to be a "drug". A plant that is psycoactive has chemicals in it, yes,but is straight from the earth and usable without chemical processing of any kind. And it is MUCH better and MUCH safer than pills. You CANNOT OVERDOSE ON WEED! YOU CAN QUIT COLD TURKEY WITH POT AND NOT SUFFER WITHDRAWAL! How can anybody in their right mind even think that these two compounds are of equal safety? Idiot.
so dumb

Miami, FL

#13 Apr 25, 2011
to all high and mighties wrote:
so if you legalize pot then the pills should be legal to.
Pills are legal you idiot.
Wondering

Hollywood, FL

#14 Apr 25, 2011
so dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
Pills are legal you idiot.
lmao!!!
The truth

Port Richey, FL

#15 Apr 25, 2011
If weed is a drug,
So is chocolate,sugar cane,tabacco and spinning in circles.
The truth is that weed was prohibited under racist pretenses.
If any pill head wants to argue this i'll gladly consume twice the amount of weed to your pill popping session.
realitycheck

Boynton Beach, FL

#16 Apr 26, 2011
The truth wrote:
If weed is a drug,
If any pill head wants to argue this i'll gladly consume twice the amount of weed to your pill popping session.
amen, ill second that one!!!

Location hidden

#17 Apr 26, 2011
The truth wrote:
If weed is a drug,
Why call people pill heads? some of us have no choice (if we want to function and support our families). And no, surgery doesn't always cure everything. I like good nuggets just as much as the next person. yes, weed is a drug - a harmless one,(but a drug nonetheless), as is caffeine, alcohol, and a million other substances that are legal and accepted by society. i would like to see it decriminalized in every state. would actually help me cut my daily dose of PK's in half. GREAT potentiator for most. although i had to stop smoking once i got into PM so i would not come up dirty on a piss test.

if i could stay out of pain from just smoking, i would be in heaven and would throw my script out the window. I truly hate having to take painkillers daily to function, but it is the cards i was dealt.

So spark it up and PASS it around!

Location hidden

#18 Apr 26, 2011
The truth wrote:
people dont need opiates to work through pain.
you have obviously never been above a 4 or so on the pain scale.

get burned over 90% of your body and tell them at the hospital to stop the morphine drip, and you will just spark up your one hitter of jack herrer!

again, i think pot has some amazing qualities when used as a medicine (or recreationally) and do believe it offers quite a bit of recognition in the medical field.

but when one is in horrid pain, pot is not enough to control the pain. it just isn't, i have experience with both. now a combo of both would be optimal. as i said above, if i could legally get some good skunk #1 or some of the sic sic sic new medical strains with upwards of 24% THC, then i would be able to cut my prescription in half easily. but the trees alone would not touch my pain, no matter what the strain. just a fact.

C

“how far down are we in”

Since: Apr 11

the rabbit's hole?

#19 Apr 26, 2011
i am a CPP, With numerous back and hip and actually all of my joints have issues...herniated discs, permanent spasms, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, scoliosis, several pinched nerves, one of my herniated discs is actually torn too...etc, etc...and yes I take an opiate for pain relief, as some days are so bad I cannot stand up straight or even carry my child to bed. Working more than a few hours sends me searing bolts of pain up my who;e back. I go to ONE doctor, and do things the right way, yet have a hard time getting my script filled, cuz pharmacies are either "out", or they say they are because they discriminate based on my age(31). These laws will effect those of us who have every medical right to get these meds....if they want to stop doctor shopping and abuse, they need to figure out a different way. I'm all for the database, that makes sense...but limiting what wholesalers and pharmacies carry is ridiculous
Ihurt

Saint Petersburg, FL

#20 Apr 26, 2011
The truth wrote:
Yes i am saying junkies (people who abuse pills) should indeed off their selves, better yet they should invite a whole group of their pill head friends.
I think alot of this crap could be solved by legalizing marijuana, people dont need opiates to work through pain.
I have cancer. Thru many operations I have lost my ovaries, uterus, tubes, 5 feet large intestine, 3 feet small, bowels and colon. The last operation included 150 stitches after a leak broke thru, yada yada yada... you got the idea. Well, I really really hurt sometimes. I weigh nothing hardly. Only a 34% chance of 3 years to live. And I STILL get treated as if I'm a druggie wanting pills at times. I leave doctors offices wanting to cry, but there's nothing I can do. I take what little they give me and now I figure that is going to get taken away because the doctors are afraid to write the scrips. You'd think they would give me a "little" consideration with all that I've been thru, but nope, they sure don't. I get treat (at times) like a junkie. I take maybe a half to save what little I have. And only when it gets to the point I can't breathe due to pain. Just one true story for all those who think we are pill heads.
Ihurt

Saint Petersburg, FL

#21 Apr 26, 2011
One more thing. Pot does help with my getting an appetite so I can eat and helps some with muscle spasms and such, but it can't really help with the sharp "gut" pains. I am probably only alive because the pot enabled me to gain enough weight as to not have a heart attack. I am NOT looking for any type of "pity", I just want ppl to know that there are real ppl out here that need real help with both pills and pot. Used appropriately it can make a better quality of life for some who suffer.

Location hidden

#22 Apr 26, 2011
Ihurt wrote:
One more thing. Pot does help with my getting an appetite so I can eat and helps some with muscle spasms and such, but it can't really help with the sharp "gut" pains. I am probably only alive because the pot enabled me to gain enough weight as to not have a heart attack. I am NOT looking for any type of "pity", I just want ppl to know that there are real ppl out here that need real help with both pills and pot. Used appropriately it can make a better quality of life for some who suffer.
agree completely, and it is a sad and sickening state of affairs when i hear of someone like you being so under prescribed. Is there any way of you getting referred to PM? Does your oncologist prescribe your meds?

what ever happened to the hippocratic oath? make people comfortable after having to deal with pain like this! i hope you have "some" pain free days IH...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Richey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
phoney forum 2 hr neat 12
no answer FAILED 23 hr BUCKY 1
ROUND and ROUND .... UP and DOWN 23 hr do it now 1
and WHAT DO WE HERE? Fri who boo hoo 1
Help Please..Mobile home lot rental..Springhill Thu cop 2
and TRUMP needs______what_____________ Thu poster 6
what is other than "PERHAPS" Thu NIGHT IS NOW 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Richey Mortgages