In Mexico, Gulf oil spill draws parallels to worst case ever

Here on Mexico's Gulf Coast, the Deepwater Horizon disaster has revived memories of the world's worst accidental oil spill, a 1979 blowout that spewed oil for nine months, devastated marine life and covered the Texas and Mexican coasts with gobs of crude. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nuclear Power

Göteborg, Sweden

#1 May 24, 2010
This is one of the reasons why many more nuclear power plants should be constructed - less dependency on oil for energy needs.
acorn obama

Odessa, FL

#3 May 24, 2010
the next president should run on the platform of building 3 dozen nuke plants which produce 0 emissions - what the hell is presidunce odumba expect us to run his new government motors volt cars on! electric bills will triple when he forces us to buy his cars!
acorn obama

Odessa, FL

#4 May 24, 2010
has presidunce odumba given back BP his $MILLION$ dollar bribe yet!

it explains why odumba hasn't done nothing but talk for the past 36 days! he don't know what the hell he's doing!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#5 May 26, 2010
Well, this baby is all America's!

Who's ready for hurricane season? I'm dreaming of a black Christmas. LOL.

Drill, baby, drill!

Idiots. You SO deserve this!
fax

Atlantic, VA

#6 May 26, 2010
The PESIDENT IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE OIL SPILL
OR IMMAGRATION. H e is more interested in raising
money for the likes of Boxer so she will be reelected. When the MAN we elected will not go
New Oreleans or to the borders, what would be his
reason for ignoring the two most important problems
that is affecting the american people. BOXER????
He will not be going to Arlington cem. to honor
our Vet this Memorial day. This has been a "given"
for all presidents since the beginning.
Nothing is said about Obamas being AWOL, when the
country bashed GW's Rep. to the point the man will
never recover. Are the people sooo hypocrital
two faced that they will not hold this president
responsible for anything?/ What is wrong, you
afraid or you care nothing for US or our country?
Once you elect the man you want, you just want
him to do NOTHING and appear on TV. We could have
elected any pretty face without a clue about
the job and let him become a tv personality that
liked the people admiration and read a tele-prompter. ARE you so oblivious as to what the
citizens are suppose to do when your elected
leader is not doing anything but spending us into
obliteration??? Do you revere this man to the
point, YOU have been struck dumb by his presents?
History will record the idoits who brought the
"greatest country in history" down by an entertainer...Where are the true people who loved
this country, Washington, Jefferson, Where are
YOU? Are we not suppose to always leave
this country better for the next generation?
LIST ALL OF WHAT HE HAS DONE... "after you get
your stomach settled down and swallow your shame.
wake the "HE!! up and get your brain working.
HES not "god" no matter how he has persuaded you
he is. ITS time to find a true American who loves
this country, it people and our service men.
Thats are only job........ POLICIES????
Wall Street Is Criminal

Fairfield, CT

#7 May 26, 2010
When the private sector screws up and causes an environmental disaster they could have avoided, Republicans blame the government. Why, because it failed to require some safety device? I thought they said business was too regulated and we should deregulate them so they can make more money because we can trust business to self-regulate. This is just another version of privatized profit, socialized loss. They give credit to business when they do something right, but when business screws up it's not their own fault, it's the government's fault for not making them wipe their own ass.
fax

Atlantic, VA

#8 May 27, 2010
WELL, its for sure Obama will never be the reason
anything goes wrong as Prez GW was. Most of you
will see to that. Treating anyone that is a republican will never be treated with any kind
of fairness. It should make the dems feel really
good when they have been giving Obama a pass.
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#9 May 27, 2010
acorn obama wrote:
has presidunce odumba given back BP his $MILLION$ dollar bribe yet!
it explains why odumba hasn't done nothing but talk for the past 36 days! he don't know what the hell he's doing!!!
And what does that creepy Napolitano woman do? He should be impeached immmediately imo. Did you hear how he ended that news conference with the totally inappropriate and sickening visual about how he thinks about this a.m. and p.m. He unnecessarily added that Malia knocked on the bathroom door this a.m. as he was shaving, poked her head in and asked if he'd plugged the hole yet! How very stupid and inappropriate? What business would a girl her age be doing attempting to enter the bathroom when anyone else is in it? What about all those "family dinners" lying Michelle made such a big deal about? Why wouldn't this brat have asked about it at another time or maybe he consults those kids for advice. That might explain the very slow to no response here.

Why no navy ships from day one vacuuming up the toxic mess?

Why were there no press conferences waaay before now? Because the Obamas are incompetent crooks taking advantage of every luxury they can. I guess Malia has grown fond of feasting on Kobe steak and lobster every night. She probably got to worrying that she might not get her daily ration of prime Lousiana shrimp, crab and other seafood for a while.

The Obamas should be served nothing but bread and water from now on imo, starting with the mooching mother-in-law, Marian Robinson.
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#10 May 27, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Well, this baby is all America's!
Who's ready for hurricane season? I'm dreaming of a black Christmas. LOL.
Drill, baby, drill!
Idiots. You SO deserve this!
Can you imagine when the rains come and all that contaminated water blows all over the entire southern hemisphere? Why isn't Mexico offering to help out or are they? Isn't it interesting that Obama and his cabinet was kissing the President of Mexico's derrierre all last week?
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#12 May 27, 2010
Oh and btw, has anyone heard anything from Al Gore on this?

Why hasn't Oprah Winfrey appeared in Lousiana like she did during Katrina????? I hope all the blacks and others who voted for this unqualified jerk who hid and sealed so many of his records are happy that they got a black President. It is just a shame that the first black President is such a fool and couldn't have been someone like Colin Powell.

Most politicians are crooks imo and this should really give strenth to the TEA PARTY NOW! We need the brightest, most ethical of leaders now or the entire world is at risk imo. I am on the verge of tears thinking of the destruction of those marshes and sea life and birds, let alone the impact of the people living in the immediate vicinity.

Why would anyone in their right mind allow BP to put one drop of any dangerous contaminant in that water?

Cruises have not been cancelled as yet but imo they will be shortly as the air is reported to have sickening fumes in the area.

It is criminal that over a month has gone by and Obama et all have done nada except patronize the President of Mexico.

I am truly beginning to think Obama may be the anti-Christ as was discussed so much during the campaign. If not, he is a stupid, stupid man and a lying good for nothing s.o.b. as proven by his family history.
storm warning

De Forest, WI

#13 May 28, 2010
Nuclear Power wrote:
This is one of the reasons why many more nuclear power plants should be constructed - less dependency on oil for energy needs.
you must be stupid or insane, this is the best case example of how the people who would run a nuclear power plant cannot and have not ever been able to insure one of them. your so misinformed at to be an azzhole of staggering proportions. these are 64 thousand tons of hot waste in to rivers wi waiting for disposal, why dont you eat it.
Yup

New Palestine, IN

#14 May 28, 2010
Impeachment wrote:
Oh and btw, has anyone heard anything from Al Gore on this?
Why hasn't Oprah Winfrey appeared in Lousiana like she did during Katrina????? I hope all the blacks and others who voted for this unqualified jerk who hid and sealed so many of his records are happy that they got a black President. It is just a shame that the first black President is such a fool and couldn't have been someone like Colin Powell.
Most politicians are crooks imo and this should really give strenth to the TEA PARTY NOW! We need the brightest, most ethical of leaders now or the entire world is at risk imo. I am on the verge of tears thinking of the destruction of those marshes and sea life and birds, let alone the impact of the people living in the immediate vicinity.
Why would anyone in their right mind allow BP to put one drop of any dangerous contaminant in that water?
Cruises have not been cancelled as yet but imo they will be shortly as the air is reported to have sickening fumes in the area.
It is criminal that over a month has gone by and Obama et all have done nada except patronize the President of Mexico.
I am truly beginning to think Obama may be the anti-Christ as was discussed so much during the campaign. If not, he is a stupid, stupid man and a lying good for nothing s.o.b. as proven by his family history.
I love your post. I'm wondering what is going to happen when a huge hurricane comes up and picks up all that OIL from the water and spews it all over everything the hurricane itself touches. WE think this is a disaster? Wait til it's coating EVERYTHING from Kentucky on south! It's gonna be a TRAGEDY!!
America needs to wake up

East Hartford, CT

#15 May 28, 2010
I just think it's funny how people still think this president is here for them. As if he were some super natural politician no one has ever seen before and we will never have to worry about cavemen (al-CIA-da)or paying taxes ever again. Right. It's gonna hurt when you wake up from this dream people.
America needs to wake up

East Hartford, CT

#16 May 28, 2010
Oh and for the user to mentioned Al Gore...

He is probably making up his next movie and trying to find a way to blame us and make us look like we are at fault so he can start taxing our carbon.

When really ya know we do need a new energy source, but it's not going to happen over night. So what you do is you try to take the best precautions possible and make drilling as safe as possible. Something that was not done here. BP has a terrible saftey record and I don't really think any one in congress has any brilliant ideas on how to stop this situation.

But yup it's the American peoples fault. We drive cars that use oil...Right
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#17 May 28, 2010
Yup wrote:
<quoted text>
I love your post. I'm wondering what is going to happen when a huge hurricane comes up and picks up all that OIL from the water and spews it all over everything the hurricane itself touches. WE think this is a disaster? Wait til it's coating EVERYTHING from Kentucky on south! It's gonna be a TRAGEDY!!
We see how slow Obama has been. The corruption behind this is probably beyond anyone's comprehension. At least the residents in the hurricane areas are used to dealing with them as best they can and have lots of experience in preparing and get advanced warnings.

The problem like we are saying is that this season the damage won't just be water but contaminated, oily water. I pray to God that everybody with a brain cell in their head tries to think of ideas to mitigate the damage as much as possible.

Wouldn't you think it would be a good idea for organizations like the Red Cross and World Health Organization get involved with public health campaigns.....preventive immunizations against diseases for starters and extra supplies than would normally be needed. I know kitty litter is helpful in absorbing oil from driveways but how will entire cities and buildings be protected.

Remember that city in Arizona, I think it was, where a group of people lived in a large bubble or something for a looong time some years ago? Maybe some lessons from that experiment could be applied before the hurricane season hits.
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#18 May 28, 2010
Remember last week while the Obamas, Nancy Pelosi, Janet Napaliano et al were swooning over the Presidet of Mexico at our expense was also when FERGIE WAS EXPOSED taking all that money from a reporter for "open doors" to Prince Andrew! The Prince was said by her to be totally innocent of having anything to do with this and he evidentally is in charge of a lot of business Britain conducts.

After thinking about this and seeing the clips for a day or so, I doubt his innocence and think he was in on the plan.

I really wasn't even aware of this horrific oil spill until last week.....the liberal media had done so much reporting on Obama and the Mexican President and hardly anything about the disaster!

Now, I am wondering since BP is to blame for this, if somehow Fergie's opening doors to Prince Andrew was just because she was desperate for money or could there be much more involved!

He is in the Royal Navy and must know a lot about BP! I wondered what on earth could be so interesting about him that anyone would offer Fergie all that money for access to him. During their marriage, he was at sea most of the time as I recall and his long absences were said to be part of their marital problems.

Just how much does Prince Andrew, Fergie and the Royal Family know about this?
Impeachment

Santa Ana, CA

#19 May 28, 2010
If I lived along those southern states, I think I'd start stocking up right now on all the supplies I think I might need and all the extras I'd have room for. Gas masks might be a good idea as well as those paper kind, like painters use to keep fumes and dust out. On the news, it sounds like there are people already getting sick and the air would have to be bad from the oil alone.....then when you think of all those poor dead fish and birds and the flies and pestilence that will result.

I was very disappointed to see Obama dressed in regular clothes, standing on the sand in dress shoes, sticking a finger in the sand. He was nowhere near the mess seen yesterday when the reporters were out in the marshes wearing rubber gloves and sticking their hands in the goo!

Obama should take his family there on a little vacation....it would be excellent for their education. They would possibly learn more in one day than they have the entire time they've spent at the privileged Sidwell Friends.

Oh, and I wonder if Chelsea Clinton will be altering the food served at her wedding reception now that the seafood supply has been ruined! Tsk, tsk and now today we hear how her crooked father is involved in another scandal asking that man not to run for Senator of PA. The entire Obama campaign promises was nothing but a bunch of lies.

I did think Hillary looks awfully haggard so I'll bet she knows something that is going to blow the lid off her daughter's wedding tent!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21 May 28, 2010
Impeachment wrote:
<quoted text>
And what does that creepy Napolitano woman do? He should be impeached immmediately imo. Did you hear how he ended that news conference with the totally inappropriate and sickening visual about how he thinks about this a.m. and p.m. He unnecessarily added that Malia knocked on the bathroom door this a.m. as he was shaving, poked her head in and asked if he'd plugged the hole yet! How very stupid and inappropriate? What business would a girl her age be doing attempting to enter the bathroom when anyone else is in it? What about all those "family dinners" lying Michelle made such a big deal about? Why wouldn't this brat have asked about it at another time or maybe he consults those kids for advice. That might explain the very slow to no response here.
Why no navy ships from day one vacuuming up the toxic mess?
Why were there no press conferences waaay before now? Because the Obamas are incompetent crooks taking advantage of every luxury they can. I guess Malia has grown fond of feasting on Kobe steak and lobster every night. She probably got to worrying that she might not get her daily ration of prime Lousiana shrimp, crab and other seafood for a while.
The Obamas should be served nothing but bread and water from now on imo, starting with the mooching mother-in-law, Marian Robinson.
Aren't you one of the idiots who's always crying for deregulation, who trusts market forces, and who tells us all how little we need government? Just like before George Bush gave nerly a trillion dollars away to his banker and insurance friends to bail out their massive deregulation fuck-up.

Now you blame Obama? LOL. You people are nauseating. You have no character.

Fix it yourself. You wanted the awl bidness in your back yard. Remember? Drill, baby, drill. Now you can enjoy your oil.
storm warning

De Forest, WI

#22 May 29, 2010
Impeachment wrote:
Remember last week while the Obamas, Nancy Pelosi, Janet Napaliano et al were swooning over the Presidet of Mexico at our expense was also when FERGIE WAS EXPOSED taking all that money from a reporter for "open doors" to Prince Andrew! The Prince was said by her to be totally innocent of having anything to do with this and he evidentally is in charge of a lot of business Britain conducts.
After thinking about this and seeing the clips for a day or so, I doubt his innocence and think he was in on the plan.
I really wasn't even aware of this horrific oil spill until last week.....the liberal media had done so much reporting on Obama and the Mexican President and hardly anything about the disaster!
Now, I am wondering since BP is to blame for this, if somehow Fergie's opening doors to Prince Andrew was just because she was desperate for money or could there be much more involved!
He is in the Royal Navy and must know a lot about BP! I wondered what on earth could be so interesting about him that anyone would offer Fergie all that money for access to him. During their marriage, he was at sea most of the time as I recall and his long absences were said to be part of their marital problems.
Just how much does Prince Andrew, Fergie and the Royal Family know about this?
They own BP we fought on the wrong side in ww2
AkaSuitor

Duncansville, PA

#23 May 29, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you one of the idiots who's always crying for deregulation, who trusts market forces, and who tells us all how little we need government? Just like before George Bush gave nerly a trillion dollars away to his banker and insurance friends to bail out their massive deregulation fuck-up.
Now you blame Obama? LOL. You people are nauseating. You have no character.
Fix it yourself. You wanted the awl bidness in your back yard. Remember? Drill, baby, drill. Now you can enjoy your oil.

Pretty hard to argue with that.

However, back in the day, Corporations were the most heavily governed. Not the people.

To make sure they did not have the influence they have today, politically.

This oil spill has yet to begin. Either a miracle of sorts occurs, where the ocean evenly distributes the oil to just about every Nation bordering the Atlantic.
Or there is going to be a 2500 mile muck ,slick 4 feet deep from Houston to Maine.
This monster has yet to begin. it is going to make the Valdez spill look like child's play. There is still some small beaches closed because of the Exxon spill in Alaska.
And the oil freighter had a bottom.
Bp's well has no end. Talk about the bottomless well? We are about to witness it, once the ocean currents take change in a few weeks to a month, as they always do in the summer.
Mexico, and S. America border the Gulf.
The primary current flows Northward, from S. America, and exits between Florida and Cuba.
Called the "Loop Current".
I will take a semi-educated guess, and foretell the Gulf of Mexico is now ruined for the next 30-40 years. A huge basin of oil.
In 40 years it may be then when we find out what fish and marine life were permanently killed and endangered.

Either way it goes, this oil spill will forever change the Gulf of Mexico, off shore drilling, commercial fishing,( gone for 20 years? OR MORE), and the Gulfs maritime industry will never be the same.

Cancun stands a good chance of being devistated. Floridas Key West is a gonner.

And here we are some 20 years after that spill, and Exxon is still fighting damages in Federal Court. Worse, Exxon has been winning some key cases.

BP is the 2nd (?) largest oil producer (off shore) on earth. Do the math.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Mansfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 9 min why 684
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 34 min fossilfarts 18,748
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of the Gene... (Oct '10) 36 min Gasman 377
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 39 min Gasman 592
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 13 hr Fossilfartz 22,728
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sep 26 Fossilfarts 802
Cruz Cervantes Sep 20 WOW 3

Port Mansfield Jobs

Port Mansfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Port Mansfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Port Mansfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]