south lewis school
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tax me

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2010
3rd times the charm? must be when the voters put the land issue down it didn't register with them we don't want it!but when the admen said"these people don't know what they need" it pissed me off.so it's up for vote again. what do you think. yes or no
resident

Chittenango, NY

#2 Nov 28, 2010
how many times do we have to vote it down before they get the message
there it is

Chittenango, NY

#3 Nov 28, 2010
They don`t give up easy, always trying to brainwash the voters. Now they want the land which would be a good idea for parking and maybe athletic fields, but in back of their minds is they are trying to build an elementary school up there, so all the small kids will have further distance to go to school plus all the teachers will be in one place.
mr clown

Chittenango, NY

#4 Dec 3, 2010
Lets join with Adirondack and make the South lewis Campus into a Lewis County community College, After all we don`t have no college around here. Of course a new high school would have to be built somewhere between the two schools.
Lets face it

United States

#5 Dec 3, 2010
Face the fact, the days of neighborhood schools are over. We can't afford to maintain and heat these old buildings. We can't afford all the teachers and support staff to keep schools with such small classes. It's going to happen sooner or later....we're loosing population as well as our tax base. The same thing is going to happen to Adirondack too. They can't continue to support Forestport as well as West Leyden. These schools will soon be a thing of the past...just like the old one room school houses in the country.
jvmac

United States

#6 Dec 3, 2010
Small minded people!!! Go ahead and vote it down again, you're just losing your tax money out the windows of those old, drafty, and moneypit buildings. When they start crumbling down around your children, maybe then you'll realize what needs to happen. Hopefully it's not your child it crashes on!! You had a perfect opportunity 4 years ago and blew it, all because you want your kids to have a small school atmosphere. Sometimes change is good, just saying!!!
land owner

Fort Plain, NY

#7 Dec 4, 2010
it would be nice to have the ones that are paying for it to have the say
rust bucket

United States

#8 Dec 5, 2010
wow, the schools are falling down? where has all the money for the up keep gone?
crogan

United States

#9 Dec 5, 2010
they saved it to buy more land for the new school.
WE KNOW

Old Forge, NY

#10 Dec 5, 2010
jvmac wrote:
Small minded people!!! Go ahead and vote it down again, you're just losing your tax money out the windows of those old, drafty, and moneypit buildings. When they start crumbling down around your children, maybe then you'll realize what needs to happen. Hopefully it's not your child it crashes on!! You had a perfect opportunity 4 years ago and blew it, all because you want your kids to have a small school atmosphere. Sometimes change is good, just saying!!!
Well ,what can a person say to this.You must be a teacher.I do not think all change is good.The schools do need up kept and so will the new school,How much will this cost? I really don't know and nether does anyone else.Will the kids get a better education ? I don't think so.should we spend all this money?Not right now,their are alot of people that can't aford the raise in our taxes.OH if you think it won't raise or taxes then think again. Things are working good the way they are and this is why i think we should leave it alone and in the long run it would probably be less money spent!Remember this is your money that is spent and only you can vote for it or against it,but think what it could cost you!!!!
mr clown

Chittenango, NY

#11 Dec 6, 2010
jvmac wrote:
ummm careful so this internet don`t fall down on you, education will improve when we get more dedicated teachers instead of time clock punchers. Old teachers were more dedicated ones, and weren`t a financal burden to tax payers.
mrs clown

Chittenango, NY

#12 Dec 6, 2010
jvmac wrote:
Crumbling down you say. Look at Lyon Falls school still standing after 25 years of no maintience. It`ll still be there when you gone. Look at old Port leyden school built in 1889 and today still used for apartments. Please don`t use this for an excuse to get a new elementary school. As for upkeep new boilers, new windows, new doors, new roofs, ceilings lowered and much has been spend to keep these old drafty buildings up to date, want to throw all this down the tubes like the Lyons Falls school, They just spend big money to fix it up and then a couple years later closed it and sold it cheaper then what it cost to fix it up. Even the Empire state building isn`t crumbling down and that was built in the 30`s. C`mon get your act together and find better excuses to built a new school.
mr clown

Chittenango, NY

#13 Dec 6, 2010
Lets face it wrote:
Face the fact, the days of neighborhood schools are over. We can't afford to maintain and heat these old buildings. We can't afford all the teachers and support staff to keep schools with such small classes. It's going to happen sooner or later....we're loosing population as well as our tax base. The same thing is going to happen to Adirondack too. They can't continue to support Forestport as well as West Leyden. These schools will soon be a thing of the past...just like the old one room school houses in the country.
WOW!, hope this doesn`t happen to the fire departments,too. LOL!!!! One department to cover all southern Lewis County.
Just me

United States

#14 Dec 6, 2010
Thanks George Capron and WBRV for letting us know what those sneaks were trying to do. If I hadn't listened to the radio I would have had no idea what they were up to!
WE KNOW

Northville, NY

#15 Dec 9, 2010
Said on radio that if they get the land they could use more parking ,because they don't have enough.If you look at the parking lot on the bus garge side it could be made bigger and hold alot more parking and also the parking lot by the baseball field could be made bigger.Were the buses load they could make a parking lane to the outside and now we still don't need to buy more land.So watch what they are trying to do with your money,they kept saying they need this and they need that,Thay need to do with what they have just like we do!!!!!!
Lowvillian God

United States

#16 Dec 9, 2010
You cannot be as great as us, so please stop trying. We will continue to grow and spend high dollars on aesthetics. If it wasn't for us you would not be pushing this issue on the poorer folks living in the southern part of the county. Rest in peace.
WE KNOW

Johnstown, NY

#17 Dec 10, 2010
Lowvillian God wrote:
You cannot be as great as us, so please stop trying. We will continue to grow and spend high dollars on aesthetics. If it wasn't for us you would not be pushing this issue on the poorer folks living in the southern part of the county. Rest in peace.
Lowville is another school that waste a lot of money and don't think twice about it!South lewis does not need to kept up with the jones!!!
watson

United States

#18 Dec 10, 2010
WE KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>Lowville is another school that waste a lot of money and don't think twice about it!South lewis does not need to kept up with the jones!!!
HAHA you are a dumb ass because if it wasent for windmill money lowville could not make all the improvemints. As for SOUTH LEWIS IS FAR BETTER. ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE SCHOOL IS THE SPORTS. I QUOTEI MEAN THE COACHES
mr clown

Chittenango, NY

#19 Dec 10, 2010
Lowvillian God wrote:
Oh sorry about that, but I always though Lowville was the Lewis county landfill site. Instead I find out its the parasite thats eating all the money from the small towns in the county, thats why we are poorer folks.
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#20 Dec 10, 2010
It really does make sense to consolidate the elementary schools into one central location, whether it's building a new building or adding onto Glenfield to allow for more students. When the other schools are closed, they can be sold and added to the tax rolls, providing some additional income on top of the utility and upkeep savings.

I wish that before they made the move, they had buyers for the existing schools lined up, so we would at least know that they weren't going to sit vacant like Lyons Falls has. Other areas have converted these schools into apartments of senior living centers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Leyden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
East schuyler boonville dealer Joseph Lamie 58 min Just living 3
Boonville Farmers Market 1 hr boer 6
manager at tops 2 hr Consumer 16
Adirondack Sports (Aug '13) 6 hr ideally 1,141
Eugene Wilcox (Aug '10) 16 hr Dumb asses 12
Shop Local Boonville facebook page Sun Seriously 6
mercers ice cream Sat Poo 34

Port Leyden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance