Islip man confronts brother's killer ...

Islip man confronts brother's killer during sentencing

There are 31 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 15, 2007, titled Islip man confronts brother's killer during sentencing. In it, Newsday reports that:

Robert Moschinger asked Daniel Callahan to turn to him as Moschinger spoke in a Riverhead courtroom Thursday, saying he not only wanted Callahan to look at his face, but the face of the man he killed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mickeeteeze

Oakdale, NY

#2 Feb 15, 2007
sad,sad,sad
Different BUTT the Same

Elizabeth, NJ

#3 Feb 15, 2007
"Please know that those actions from that night do not define who I am," he said.

.......... If not, then what does ?

It takes years to accomplish things, yet a moment can bring it down...

... or a moment can turn us into greatness beyond legend.
Bob Mc

San Diego, CA

#4 Feb 16, 2007
My prayers go out to the Moschinger family, may they find peace through God's love.
SO TRUE

Istanbul, Turkey

#5 Feb 16, 2007
You can work hard your entire life dong good deeds to accomplish so much not just for yourself but for others and in one act of stupidity the lifetime of good work & accomplishments gets washed away only to see the one act of stupidity committed.
Different BUTT the Same wrote:
"Please know that those actions from that night do not define who I am," he said.
.......... If not, then what does ?
It takes years to accomplish things, yet a moment can bring it down...
... or a moment can turn us into greatness beyond legend.
hot

Huntington, NY

#6 Feb 16, 2007
This is what Drugs do to people. I knew danny very well. This is not who he is. But when you get mixed up in drugs this is waht it does. A lesson to all. GET OFF THE FREAKING DRUGS

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#7 Feb 16, 2007
I agree, that one moment has defined the man. His only saving grace, not that he really has one, was that he apparently did not want to go to trial and just wanted to accept responsability and plead guilty.

This does not raise my estimation of his actions, but I applaud the fact that he does not seem to be making excuses. It is a bit refreshing compared to all those who do. I can not comment on him beyond that other then to say that he directly caused one death and indirectly caused another, both of which he has moral responsability for.
Brett

King Of Prussia, PA

#8 Feb 16, 2007
I fight over drugs? One druggie kills another druggie? Too bad that the cinder block couldn't bounce back up and take out the other one to finish the job.
ROBERT

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Feb 16, 2007
HOW CAN ONE REALLYLISTEN TO.. ANYTHING COMING FROM THE MOUTH OF THIS ANIMAL? HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO TAKE ONE MORE BREATH ON THIS PLANET...36? LB. BOULDERS AS WEAPONS ..."THIS DOES NOT DEFINE ME" ????..NO, IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT(SEE ADJ./NOUN ABOVE)

“hello exerybody !”

long island,ny

#13 Feb 16, 2007
LISL wrote:
This is what Drugs do to people. I knew danny very well. This is not who he is. But when you get mixed up in drugs this is waht it does. A lesson to all. GET OFF THE FREAKING DRUGS
Yeah.....I don't know any of the parties, but this is the kind of s**t that can happen in that lifestyle.While most of my sympathy goes to the victim's family,I realise the killer's life is as good as ruined,too.But,by definition,that is now part of who he is; a killer.What a waste,all the way around.Funny thing is,if you'd of sat both these guys down a month earlier,and told them things could turn out like this,it probably wouldn't have changed anything.That is what addiction is; running away from an IMAGINED hell, only to create a REAL one.
Rosemarie Moschinger

AOL

#14 Feb 16, 2007
My name is Rosemarie Moschinger, the mother of William Moschinger. On May 21, 2006, our family lost everything. Billy was a compassinate, caring and loving person. He was a special person. While I feel sorry that Daniel Callahan will be spending time in prision, I also feel that justice has been served for my son. Our ENTIRE family will never be the same. I only hope and pray that Daniel TRULY sees exactly how the drugs played in all of this, and perhaps will try to do some good in the future to help others, who may be traveling down the same evil road that he did, to help them see more clearly. My son is gone, what the future would have held for him is unknown, he may never have made a bigger impact on this world than he had at the time of his death, but to the people who knew and loved him, the impact he made on our lives is immeasurable. We all cry on our loss.
Rosemarie Moschinger

AOL

#15 Feb 16, 2007
Also I want to add something that people are not aware of. The article stated that they got into a fight over drugs. That is not exactly what happened. According to Daniel Callahan's statement and confession, the argument started over a COMMENT my son said to Daniel, who then went bizare and proceeded to fight and kill my son! My son was a decent, person, a son, father, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin, and friend to many, including homeless individuals, of whom Callahan was at the time!!!! Callahan was homeless, sleeping in his car, because of his drug involvement, and lose of his employment (because of his drug involvement). My son, at the time of his death, had his own place, was gainfully employed, and was the father of 3 children. Also at the time of his death, he wallet was taken, and never found, just bit of information scattered around his body, and his body left under a picnic table.
addiction

Pearl River, NY

#19 Feb 16, 2007
mickeeteeze wrote:
<quoted text>...That is what addiction is; running away from an IMAGINED hell, only to create a REAL one.
I am very familiar with the disease of addiction and the repurcussions it can have on addicts and everyone around them, yet I have never heard such a perfect, succinct description of what addiction truly is until I read this. Great job.
addiction

Pearl River, NY

#20 Feb 16, 2007
Rosemarie Moschinger wrote:
My name is Rosemarie Moschinger, the mother of William Moschinger.
I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope you will find some peace soon.

“hello exerybody !”

long island,ny

#21 Feb 16, 2007
I am sorry for your loss,and I hope you can somwhat move on someday.It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of your son.May God bless his soul.

“hello exerybody !”

long island,ny

#22 Feb 16, 2007
addiction wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanx for the compliment.obviously,I'm familiar with it also.I don't know where that analogy came from; could it be I've finally had an original thought?
Doubtful!
Thanks !
Bye Bye Danny Boy

Alexandria, VA

#23 Feb 16, 2007
Callahan's parents must be shocked. I'm sure they always thought Daniel's little brother Mark would be the one that ended up in prison. People that know these two bags of sh** know how much mayhem and grief they have been causing others for years.
The whole Callahan family brings nothing but misery to the world! At least Long Islanders will have one less Callahan to worry about for the next twenty years.
Rosemarie Moschinger

AOL

#24 Feb 16, 2007
addiction wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comment, I hope and pray that all involved, including Daniel Callahan, will find peace, and will be able to go on in life, doing good for others.
Up the block

Pearl River, NY

#25 Feb 17, 2007
I knew the Moschinger family growing up, they were all good caring people, and both Bobby and Billy were friends. I can only say that I hope everyone is able to move on from this horrible situation. No one deserves a fate like this. Billy was a wonderful guy that had his faults as we all do, but was ALWAYS there for those around him. His family was a hardworking and honest... something very special to those who were lucky enough to know them.

Whatever the reasons behind this situation... my prayers go out to them all.
Daniel Callahan

Camden, SC

#26 Feb 17, 2007
I knew Billy since we were teens.No one deserved to die like he did.My heart goes out to the family and the sentence handed down was appauling and an insult to the family s well as the memory of Billy! That was murder, plain and simple and the only thing the defendant is sorry for is the fact he got caught! Shame on Suffolk DA you should have given that guy death!!!! To The Moschinger Family my Love & sympathy! Mardi
Cindy Michta

Baldwin, NY

#28 Feb 21, 2007
I hope someone will just take one more glance at these posts. Billy DID have his life straightened out, and did all he could to lend a helping hand to anyone. His 2 boys are now without parents because of Mr. Callahans actions. Their Mom, (my neice) took her own life after this last loss.Please pray for them, and all that knew Billy who are in this terrible state of grief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Jefferson Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 25 DENG 121,924
News Twist in Tom Croci's path to war zone May 25 Go to HELL 2
Brown boxes on telephone boxes with large anten... May 24 East setauket res... 1
Middle country road in Centerreach May 19 Crazy Eddie 2
News Mineola man missing after he took wife to LIRR ... May 19 Boobee1212 1
Public Safety SCCC Selden (Oct '16) May 18 Student 14
News YOUR COMMUNITY WATCHDOG: Debating the safety of... (Jan '08) May 18 Norman Snead 73

Port Jefferson Station Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Jefferson Station Mortgages