State roads bear enough weight now

State roads bear enough weight now

There are 3 comments on the The Times Herald story from Feb 5, 2012, titled State roads bear enough weight now. In it, The Times Herald reports that:

Larry from Wales Township: "I see that Congress is trying to pass a law to increase the weight limit on commercial trucks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times Herald.

Michael Mikolajczak

Midland, MI

#1 Feb 6, 2012
I-69 Petition Drive Successful!
Voters to Decide Matter on May 8

In all, about 5,300 signatures were collected - well above the roughly 4,300 needed. St. Clair County voters will now field the question of whether or not they support being entered into the I-69 International Trade Corridor Inter-local Agreement. The St. Clair County Board of Commissioners approved a resolution to enter into the Agreement on December 7, 2011 despite public opposition and concerns about the contract. Five commissioners voted to approve the resolution, while two commissioners (one a lawyer himself) remained uncomfortable with the contract and voted against signing it.

The contract would form a new administrative corporation endowed by its signers with the powers of government to work between counties and municipalities to market and manage the planning, investment in and development of I-69 as a NAFTA super highway. Many have expressed concern with the stated vs. effective powers given to this corporation through the complex layers of law and authority asserted through this contract. The corporation's ultimate ability to control land use, both private and public, is a primary concern. The contract is arguably open ended, unable to be released from and subject to ongoing change.

The 'People', have been burned by government bailouts, healthcare and other 'good sounding' schemes several times in the last several years. They are understandably wary about being entered into something they don't understand without being told what is planned.

There is a growing call for the Blue Water Convention Center to also be put up for public approval on the May 8 ballot. Many county residents see the proposed convention center as yet one more incarnation of the The Thomas Edison Inn and McMorran Place, convention centers that have proven unsustainable. The project is especially unpopular with residents in outlying areas of the county, many of whom recognize they will help foot the bill without sharing in whatever benefits may be realized.
David

Allen Park, MI

#2 Feb 10, 2012
Old news
Michael Mikolajczak wrote:
I-69 Petition Drive Successful!
Voters to Decide Matter on May 8
In all, about 5,300 signatures were collected - well above the roughly 4,300 needed. St. Clair County voters will now field the question of whether or not they support being entered into the I-69 International Trade Corridor Inter-local Agreement. The St. Clair County Board of Commissioners approved a resolution to enter into the Agreement on December 7, 2011 despite public opposition and concerns about the contract. Five commissioners voted to approve the resolution, while two commissioners (one a lawyer himself) remained uncomfortable with the contract and voted against signing it.
The contract would form a new administrative corporation endowed by its signers with the powers of government to work between counties and municipalities to market and manage the planning, investment in and development of I-69 as a NAFTA super highway. Many have expressed concern with the stated vs. effective powers given to this corporation through the complex layers of law and authority asserted through this contract. The corporation's ultimate ability to control land use, both private and public, is a primary concern. The contract is arguably open ended, unable to be released from and subject to ongoing change.
The 'People', have been burned by government bailouts, healthcare and other 'good sounding' schemes several times in the last several years. They are understandably wary about being entered into something they don't understand without being told what is planned.
There is a growing call for the Blue Water Convention Center to also be put up for public approval on the May 8 ballot. Many county residents see the proposed convention center as yet one more incarnation of the The Thomas Edison Inn and McMorran Place, convention centers that have proven unsustainable. The project is especially unpopular with residents in outlying areas of the county, many of whom recognize they will help foot the bill without sharing in whatever benefits may be realized.
Sherlock

United States

#3 Feb 10, 2012
David wrote:
Old news
<quoted text>
Whatever David...whatever

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Huron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Detroit-area official sentenced for taki... Jun '17 lavon affair 1
News Bluewater View condos unveils tower design May '17 B52sAreCool 2
Poll Best public place to have gay sex in Port Huron (May '12) May '17 B52sAreCool 57
Dave Barber (Aug '11) Apr '17 Richard 30
Full Swap Couples (Jan '17) Feb '17 NonBlonde 3
Area RV parks Feb '17 James 1
rb Feb '17 Bill Smithson 1

Port Huron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Huron Mortgages