Aquatic invader arrives

Aquatic invader arrives

There are 10 comments on the Albany Times Union story from Aug 1, 2012, titled Aquatic invader arrives. In it, Albany Times Union reports that:

Spiny water fleas, an aquatic invasive species that has spread from Great Sacandaga Lake, into the Adirondacks, Hudson River and Champlain Canal, have reached Lake George, and now have a clear path to advance into Lake Champlain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Albany Times Union.

yikes

United States

#1 Aug 11, 2012
One more thing to worry about.
Deadliest Catch

Ticonderoga, NY

#2 Aug 11, 2012
That and crabs.
Uggg

Springfield, NJ

#3 Aug 12, 2012
So lets keep letting all the tourists and bass tournament fishermen put they're boats in our lakes! The actions of few ruin things for so many. I have seen the fishing in lake champlain decline drastically because of invasive species. Alewifes,white perch,zebra mussels,eurasian milfoil etc. Same will happen to lake george soon enough. Already zebra mussels and the spiny flea and milfoil. The future does not look too good.
Conflicting Reports

San Diego, CA

#4 Aug 12, 2012
I have read that the numbers of the "invasive species" is being exaggerated by he so-called environmental groups that want to shut down use of certain water ways to certain people/groups.

Any truth to that?
Truth

Albany, NY

#5 Aug 13, 2012
Conflicting Reports wrote:
I have read that the numbers of the "invasive species" is being exaggerated by he so-called environmental groups that want to shut down use of certain water ways to certain people/groups.
Any truth to that?
Of course you are correct. Environmentalists are the invasive species. Aliens and polluters don't harm anyone!
One of those deals

Middlebury, VT

#6 Aug 13, 2012
The truth is in the science. The question is whose science? As it is with "global warming."
And, of course, YOU are at fault...for whatever it is.

Stay tuned for another episode.
maybe not

Ticonderoga, NY

#7 Aug 13, 2012
Does anyone know if they[spiny water fleas] cause any kind of problem? If so what is the problem? Or is just that they are a new species to the area? Or how long have they been here before we started looking for them? Let's close Lake George to any one who doesn't own lakefront property.
Malik

Crown Point, NY

#8 Aug 13, 2012
the worst species is the white trash in this county
lake steward

Jamaica, NY

#9 Aug 14, 2012
Spiny waterfleas eat small animals (zooplankton), including Daphnia, which are an important food for native fishes. In some lakes, they caused the decline or elimination of some species of native zooplankton. They can clog eyelets of fishing rods and prevent fish from being landed.
As zooplankton is the backbone of aquatic food chains, this tiny crustacean presents a serious risk to the ecosystem. The eggs survive even after being dried out or eaten by fish
Willis

Pickerel, WI

#10 Sep 9, 2012
Fear and hype. The flea has been in sacandaga since 2008 with no noticeable change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Henry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how bout them medicab busts!! 1 hr WhistleBlower 53
Pat Gould and koret 13 hr Cheeters 21
Latest Town Cleanup 15 hr Dictionary might ... 11
snitch (Dec '12) 22 hr ite 9
You got a problem with my garbage 22 hr RIGHT 15
Lake George Park Commission Raises rates Fri Tax payer 7
Water Bills Apr 19 Pete G 1

Port Henry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance