Drum and Bugel Corp
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Imavoter

Pittsfield, MA

#21 Apr 27, 2010
I played with Lynx back in the seventies! Dewey, Lem, Jim Gravelle. We had a ball! I can remember way back in the sixties, Jack and Franky Sheldon, Lynx, his brother Donnie. On a summer night you could hear them practicing from seven to nine at night. Mark time, march, boom,boom,boom,boom! One of the songs was" Never On Sunday" remember? What were some names of the other songs? The drum line used to do George of the jungle. Boom, Boom, BoomBoom Ba BoomBoom, HA, HA! I loved it. It was one of the best times of my life and I didn't realize it! Rosie's Diner was the big hang out for the kids. It was an awsome time. Wouldn't trade those times for anything!
Yes

United States

#22 Apr 27, 2010
He was a good man
Durk

Douglas, MA

#24 Jun 2, 2010
I was part of the corp. back in the early 70s. Moved away in 75 to a place much further north of Port Henry (as if there is a place further north).
I remember the whole Burlingame clan. A lot of first's happened on those trips.
Caused us all to grow in different ways.

“"Smile it makes someone happy"”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#25 Jul 17, 2010
I to was a part of the corp growing up,I was a colored guard.I remember many hot days practicing at the fish and game club,,cheever whole known by many..Lynx was a great leader,he was tough but it taught us to do our best,and he always said the hard work would pay off and it did,,you felt proud when we were marching down the street in the parades,marching into the field at the old high school in Port Henry was always an honor,,god bless you Lynx,,many miss you and many have wonderful child hood memories,and good work ethics because of you..God bless you..
bluesmanmike5

Virginia Beach, VA

#26 Aug 5, 2010
I also used to be in D&B corps. it was the Golden Eagles, then the maruaders. We used to have so much fun. I played horn taught by Lem. Lynx was good to all us kids, even if he was hard at times, it was for our own good. We would spend all summer traveling around the north country, to parades and competitions. When we became the Maruaders, I switched to drums. Now 35 years later, I have a wonderful background of music. I play guitar everyday, so see, it paid off. RIP Lynx
Golden Marauders facebook

Albany, NY

#27 Nov 24, 2012
I was a member of the Marauders and started a Facebook site. Thought it would be interesting to see how many members we could get. I had some old pictures that I have downloaded and started recruiting members. I married Tom Bouchard and have been married for 35 years now. Not sure when you joined and/or if you knew Tom or myself but would love to hear from your or check out the site. Hope you get this. I know its been a while. I just found this today. Thanks.
ilovedit wrote:
I was in the marauders for a while. It was great and you would not find a better leader than Lynx. He was tough and expected only the best out of all of us kids - even and especially his own. RIP and god bless him for taking a kid like me off the streets. Saved me. I have often wondered if another corp would ever start up but it was expensive then and even more expensive now. Its too bad because it would be great. Hell I'd volunteer to teach and train for free !!
Golden Marauders facebook

Albany, NY

#28 Nov 24, 2012
Hi, Today I started a Facebook to put together names, dates, photos, clippings, etc. of our days with the Golden Eagles and Golden Marauders of Port Henry, NY. I have put a lot of thought into this and created a facebook page; have downloaded photos I have, one of which Lynx gave me. He said he had several others that he wanted to give me, but couldn't really see them well. Unfortunately he passed away before he could get them to me. I married Tom Bouchard in 1977 and have been married for 35 years to Tom. Tom was the Drum Major for several years. Please check out the facebook site, its under Golden Marauders. If your a past member, friend request me please. I'm trying to get as many members as possible, names, clippings, photos, you name it. I'd also like as much history on the corp as possible. I was able to get Lynx obituary and Mrs. Bernice Gonyeau's obituary from the paper on the site.

My intention is not to offend anyone by starting this site. It was a very important part of my life. That was where I met my husband after all. It was and always has been a very happy time in my life and wanted to see how everyone was and what they are doing. That is all.

Thank you all for your input. Sue Manning Bouchard

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#30 Nov 26, 2012
drumbanbugle wrote:
<quoted text>I was in too! We probably know each other. Lynx didn't take any crap from anyone and was tough with us kids. My last year in the corps we ended up in a first place show in Troy, NY beating the hated Johnstown Patriots for the state championship of NY. Rememeber? It gave me as a kid something to do, and I looked forward to traveling all over the state doing parades and shows, from Memorial day till September.
Yup.... here too. Used to royally PISS OFF MR. CONLEY!!!! And it really did help once I went into the military. Just one less thing that would cause me to have to do "KP". God Bless "Linkers". He had a handful keeping our group in line!!!

(grinning at the thought and rememberance)
Baritone

United States

#31 Dec 31, 2012
Kids in high school use to say bad things about drum & bugle and asked me why I was a member. I told them it gave me something to look forward to with competition in all. I played baritone for 5 years and was proud when we won the state championship. Thanks Lynx for everything you did for us kids growing up.
Yeah

Mineville, NY

#33 Jan 4, 2013
Those were the days
former member

Orlando, FL

#34 Jun 18, 2013
Summers in Upstate NY meant parades and competing in shows in New York, Vermont, Canada etc.. I looked forward to that. It was fun! We rode in style on a chartered bus from William Hogel. We had good instructors who worked for little money to make us succeed. It definitely kept me out of trouble. It's a shame it didn't go on for the young kids in Moriah, Port Henry today.
2 crumpled bucks

Mexico

#36 Jun 30, 2013
Loving the responses wish there were more! Long live lynx and all his memories.
witherbee58

Mineville, NY

#37 Jul 2, 2013
he drum and bugle corps were the best times in my youth, The pride of representing our town was reflected in all the awards received. I would love to see the D&B revived. I think the town should make some kind of memorial to Lynx for all he did and the pride he brought to Port Henry. It's so sad to see how Port Henry is slowing dying. Isn't there something we can do?
former member

Orlando, FL

#39 Jul 5, 2013
witherbee58 wrote:
he drum and bugle corps were the best times in my youth, The pride of representing our town was reflected in all the awards received. I would love to see the D&B revived. I think the town should make some kind of memorial to Lynx for all he did and the pride he brought to Port Henry. It's so sad to see how Port Henry is slowing dying. Isn't there something we can do?
All we can do for now is post the memories of the good times. I doubt drum and bugle will ever be reintroduced in Port Henry again. Times have changed my friend.
resident

Port Henry, NY

#40 Jul 7, 2013
What about Jack Sheldon, He was running it for a long time to, Way before lynx, I was under Jack when I joined it in the late 60's. He did a fantastic job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Henry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ms. Smith 4 hr Ashley A 3
News Are black visitors really welcome in the Adiron... 6 hr people 26
Brittany Blair Taxi 7 hr tia patnode 11
Mark and Tammy Fluery 8 hr Jesus 2
Ti Football 16 hr team 2
ambulance abuse 16 hr stfu 79
Samantha a 18 hr Yup 68

Port Henry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance