Caroga Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

I would love to wake up every morning to the good old sound of the Port Henry Drum and Bugel Corp.I would hit snooze 3-4 times a morning just to hear that bum bababumpa da bum followed by the slamming together of symbols.Nothing more enchanting than heading to Cheever Deaver Hole and being serenated by the good ole Drum and Bugel Corp. Do you hear the symbols,,, I do and I love it!!!!!!!!!!
Cheever holer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

Way back when i was on acid i used to hear the drum and bugle corps all night long just like you.
Mary Jane

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Judged:

The drum and bugle corps was before my time, but I have enjoyed hearing the stories of the parades and competitions from the people who were there. I'd love to hear of someone starting it up again, any idea if that's possible?
scarlett

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Judged:

The drum and bugle corp was a wonderful time in my life! It gave people pride and built confidence in many kids around the area! It would be great to find someone with the dedication and conviction that the late Robert (Lynx) Burlingame had to keep the Mauraders going for the many years he did!! GOD BLESS HIM!!! It would be great to hear the sound of the drums whaling and the horns singing again!!But who ever took on this challenge would have to be dedicated 100%!! It would not be easy but it would be great for the community!!!!
2 crumpled bucks

Caroga Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Back in my day they were the toughest band in Ny.I swear to god from top to bottom the Corp was loaded with some of the most care free toughest kids.I guarantee 75% of them smoked and they loved Lynx.How that guy kept them together is beyond me.
ilovedit

Mechanicville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

Judged:

I was in the marauders for a while. It was great and you would not find a better leader than Lynx. He was tough and expected only the best out of all of us kids - even and especially his own. RIP and god bless him for taking a kid like me off the streets. Saved me. I have often wondered if another corp would ever start up but it was expensive then and even more expensive now. Its too bad because it would be great. Hell I'd volunteer to teach and train for free !!
drumbanbugle

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

ilovedit wrote:
I was in the marauders for a while. It was great and you would not find a better leader than Lynx. He was tough and expected only the best out of all of us kids - even and especially his own. RIP and god bless him for taking a kid like me off the streets. Saved me. I have often wondered if another corp would ever start up but it was expensive then and even more expensive now. Its too bad because it would be great. Hell I'd volunteer to teach and train for free !!
I was in too! We probably know each other. Lynx didn't take any crap from anyone and was tough with us kids. My last year in the corps we ended up in a first place show in Troy, NY beating the hated Johnstown Patriots for the state championship of NY. Rememeber? It gave me as a kid something to do, and I looked forward to traveling all over the state doing parades and shows, from Memorial day till September.
Memory Lane

Crown Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Awwww, the good ole days !
somewhere in georgia

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

I spent alot of years in the Marauders. I grew up there. Lynx offered us kids a chance to be proud of our town, a chance to succeed. I went on to play the bugle in the Air Force. The discipline I learned inthe Marauders Drum and Bugle corps shaped my life. 30 years later and I still remember that championship victory like it was yesterday. RIP Lynx, thanks for the memories.
former member

Olla, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

I still remember to this day, every member in the horn line that won the state championship in 1980. It was a great accomplisment. Lynx made us believe in ourselves. We were very happy to represent Port Henry, NY where I was born and raised. Thanks for letting me be a part of a special group Robert "Lynx" Burlingame.
Gang Green Gilberatti

Caroga Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

I came up with my family from Florida 10 years ago and wanted to go ice fishing.No bs I barely knew Lynx but some how through the grapevine old Lynx found out I wanted to fish and was in town .He offered me his fish shanty and asked for a full tank of propane in return. We froze our butts off that day caught 2 icefish,5 perch and practically got blown away to vermont because the wind was so brutal off the point in Sandy Beach. I thanked Lynxs ,got the tank filled, and talked to him for 20 minutes.He told me I was like my father,a good person that never looked down his nose at anyone. I wish I could put my real name but this is a bitter board and I would find myself tracking down losers that trashed me.haha It seems like the town could use another man like Lynx B-far from perfect-giving to others-and taking care of alot of kids who get bypasses cuz their not atheletes.
Grew up in PH

Lake George, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Judged:

I grew up in the drum and bugle corp. I had a terrible home life and the drum corp was a nice escape for me. I loved the trips going to parades and competitions. Lynx was a mentor and gave the kids of the town something to do and to look forward to. The drum corp. gave me self esteem and the older members took me under their wing and watched out for me. I will never forget these people and what they did for me as a kid.
formermembers

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2010

Judged:

When I moved to Port Henry in 1970, my mom got very invovled in the Drum and Bugel Corp. She sewed our uniforms one year. I met my husband now at MCS and we were both members of the D&B Corp. Those were the best years of our lives. He played horn and I carried our flags then moved up to the twirling guns taught by a group from Willsboro. Lynx was an inspiration to all of us and taught us discipline and respect. We just wish his tradition could be carried on. We made Port Henry proud!
HpMan

Belden, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

I was also in d and b corps. It was fun, and we got to travel e eryware. Lynx was. Cool guy bCk then.
Once did that

Flushing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

When I was in d&b I played horn and marched right in front of lynx & lem, we had lots of fun in the 70's.
Former member

Oneonta, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

I was in the drum and bugal corp in the 80's, it was a lot of fun and it kept us from getting into trouble. I think that if someone was to start the drum and bugal corp up again it would, be a great thing for that community. RIP Lynx
Moonwalker

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

Judged:

You people are forgetting that the original drum corp was the golden eagles. Itwas nice then to see the paradw on Labor Day coming down Broad Street with the golden Eagles leading the parad. The first things you saw was the big golden feathers on the hats and the the golden shirts. Those were the times. Now tell me what happened to all the instruments and the uniforms and the money if any of them were sold. I hear ther is only about 6 uniforms left and they are in the cellar rotting away. The Golden Eagles were around a lot longer. Linx was anice guy but he could not play a note or keep a tune. Also a lot of others could not either but, they were taught to play by ear and not read music. Please do nont forget the Golden Eagles. Thats where it all started.
yes

Lake George, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

Judged:

Moonwalker wrote:
You people are forgetting that the original drum corp was the golden eagles. Itwas nice then to see the paradw on Labor Day coming down Broad Street with the golden Eagles leading the parad. The first things you saw was the big golden feathers on the hats and the the golden shirts. Those were the times. Now tell me what happened to all the instruments and the uniforms and the money if any of them were sold. I hear ther is only about 6 uniforms left and they are in the cellar rotting away. The Golden Eagles were around a lot longer. Linx was anice guy but he could not play a note or keep a tune. Also a lot of others could not either but, they were taught to play by ear and not read music. Please do nont forget the Golden Eagles. Thats where it all started.
the Golden Eagles they were great.
Now Now

Crown Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

Judged:

Let's not smear the name of the dead... Lynx played well and kept going after the Golden Eagles. Jerry Noble played the trombone wonderfully.. They really tried to help the youth of the time learn to play in a Marching Band. Were they perfect no but let his family and the town have the pride from the past. God bless them both. May they rest in peace!.......
Beloved

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you so much for your kind words. It takes a lot for a person to dedicate so much of themselves to help children, and Lynx not only did that, he said those years were some of the best of his life!
R.I.P Papa We love you and miss you dearly!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Port Henry Forum right now

Search the Port Henry Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FEMA camps!!?!?!?!?!?!?!! (Aug '13) 14 hr DIDJAKNOWVERN 30
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 16 hr College Professor 6,391
no money 17 hr YESSS 10
ticoneroga has no class!!! 18 hr know a girl 7
catherine C 18 hr know a girl 2
for sale 19 hr for sale 3
Psycho on a cycle Mon Gibby 2
•••
•••
•••
Port Henry Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••