Rising Sun Police tactics

Posted in the Port Deposit Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#1 Oct 26, 2011
On October 24, 2011 I received a call from the Rising Sun, MD police department stating I was a suspect in a theft case and I was asked to come in to the station for an interview.
I asked for the details of the charge but they declined my request.
I was delayed by personal matters that afternoon and never made it in to the station. I did comply with their request the following morning.
Knowing full well I was innocent of any wrong doing I was fairly relaxed when I showed up at the station house. As the officers arrived I made a joke about donuts being provided as I knew there had to be donuts somewhere in a police station. It is an old joke and was not intended to offend anyone.
The police chief took umbrage however and adopted a seriously bad attitude and became somewhat threatening towards me. He did not find anything amusing about the donut joke and rudely chastised me.
It is important to understand that I was there as a courtesy and was attempting to assist them in their investigation at this point. I am a law abiding citizen and the police are public servants. They work for me and have no right to threaten me or attempt to intimidate me in spite of their suspicions. Not everyone who walks into their office is guilty of a crime.
Their theft claim stemmed from my recent visit to a local store to cash two checks.
During the interview, it was stated that they had video evidence of me removing a wallet from the counter, walking outside, removing some cash and discarding the wallet in a trash can.
This was, I knew, untrue because I simply did not do any such thing. To the contrary, the clerk who cashed the two checks I gave him actually gave me too much money back. I realized his mistake before I even left the store and turned to him immediately and made him aware of his mistake. After recalculating the amount he gave me the correct amount. My comment to him was “How many of your customers would have been so honest that they would have told you about that”?
He thanked me and I left the store.
I related this to the interviewing officer and told him I would like to see the video evidence they had of me stealing the wallet. He replied in a somewhat angry tone that he had seen the video and that there was no question about what they had seen. It showed me removing the wallet, walking out of the store, removing the cash and discarding the wallet.
That was all a lie, as it turned out, designed to intimidate me and force a confession out of me in a Gestapo-like method.
The chief’s attitude and the deceptive techniques used by the Rising Sun police department should be a concern to all law abiding citizens. I am so concerned by law enforcement run amok that I am filing a formal complaint against the department and quite possibly a law suit.
We cannot stand by and let men and women who are sworn to protect and serve the citizens abuse that mandate and use their authority to threaten and intimidate the people they work for.
I must insist on a public apology and will be pursuing legal action immediately.
OLD SCHOOL

Ephrata, PA

#2 Oct 26, 2011
You probally did it.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#3 Oct 26, 2011
OLD SCHOOL wrote:
You probally did it.
No, I did not do it. I returned the extra money the teller gave me. I also return extra money given to me by bank tellers and other clerks. I once had a wallet stolen from the counter right in front of me. It contained $700. The police had it on video, knew the kid's name and address yet I was never contacted.
Having had that done to me I know what it feels like and would not wish that on anyone. Well, my 2nd ex-wife maybe.
I have tried to instill honesty and integrity into my children.
I'm not saying a cop's job is easy. A cop sees what is wrong with people on a daily basis. He sees the horrible things people are capable of, day in and day out, yet somehow he has to believe that people are basically good (a belief I don't share)or it will ruin him.
Still, I believe that many police officers have lost sight of the job they are there to perform. "To serve and protect" can mean a lot of things. We are not their enemy. Not everyone is a criminal.
Abuses of power happen in every walk of life but police must be held to a higher standard as guardians of justice. They must strive for perfection. Few will achieve that but those that do set an example for the others.
The police in my case failed miserably. They need to be reminded of what their job is and what a responsibility they carry.
They cannot lie during an interview. They cannot lie to coerce a confession. Yes, some guilty parties will escape prosecution. Better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man sent to prison.
Such is the price of Liberty. Those that would trade Liberty for security deserve neither.
Equal Justice

Catlettsburg, KY

#4 Oct 26, 2011
Why don't you sue. Just one question? why do you get involved with the police anyway.
Give me a break

Landenberg, PA

#5 Oct 26, 2011
Dude your facts do not make sense!!!....Chief has been out of town since last week....anyone who wants to fact check this BS...check the minutes from the Town meeting Tuesday night and you will see that it was anounced that the Chief is away...shameful dude....simply shameful....
OLD SCHOOL

Ephrata, PA

#6 Oct 27, 2011
BillofRightsFan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I did not do it. I returned the extra money the teller gave me. I also return extra money given to me by bank tellers and other clerks. I once had a wallet stolen from the counter right in front of me. It contained $700. The police had it on video, knew the kid's name and address yet I was never contacted.
Having had that done to me I know what it feels like and would not wish that on anyone. Well, my 2nd ex-wife maybe.
I have tried to instill honesty and integrity into my children.
I'm not saying a cop's job is easy. A cop sees what is wrong with people on a daily basis. He sees the horrible things people are capable of, day in and day out, yet somehow he has to believe that people are basically good (a belief I don't share)or it will ruin him.
Still, I believe that many police officers have lost sight of the job they are there to perform. "To serve and protect" can mean a lot of things. We are not their enemy. Not everyone is a criminal.
Abuses of power happen in every walk of life but police must be held to a higher standard as guardians of justice. They must strive for perfection. Few will achieve that but those that do set an example for the others.
The police in my case failed miserably. They need to be reminded of what their job is and what a responsibility they carry.
They cannot lie during an interview. They cannot lie to coerce a confession. Yes, some guilty parties will escape prosecution. Better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man sent to prison.
Such is the price of Liberty. Those that would trade Liberty for security deserve neither.
Okay I see your point. Where did this whole video tape go down at the Chrome store? Maybe you need to go to a bank instead.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#7 Oct 27, 2011
Give me a break wrote:
Dude your facts do not make sense!!!....Chief has been out of town since last week....anyone who wants to fact check this BS...check the minutes from the Town meeting Tuesday night and you will see that it was anounced that the Chief is away...shameful dude....simply shameful....
I don't know what the minutes say and I don't care. I know this..At 9:30 am on Wednesday, the chief of police was in front of the station house in front of the town hall chastising me for making a crack about donuts. I have two police officers who witnessed it. I didn't know he was the chief until the "good cop" told me so.
Everything I have related is the truth. I have not exaggerated or distorted anything.
I have long objected to the change in the role that law enforcement plays today. It has been a gradual change and with each little step that gets accepted the role gets a little more perverted.
It's like twilight. A change so gradual that nobody notices until it is pitch black. If I had been intimidated and confessed, the investigation would have been stopped right there and they would have been happy that they solved the crime. That is not what they are supposed to do. They are supposed to investigate and discover the truth.
I am going to sue.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#8 Oct 27, 2011
Equal Justice wrote:
Why don't you sue. Just one question? why do you get involved with the police anyway.
I did not get involved with the police by choice, I assure you. They should have asked that I come in as a potential witness and determined what, if anything, I saw that day. Instead they chose to intimidate me and threaten me with lies. I object vehemently to that technique. If, indeed, they were convinced of my guilt by the purported video, then they would have been justified in doing what they did. The problem, here is they lied in order to coerce my confession. What if they had succeeded? An innocent man would have gone to jail. That is wrong, wrong, wrong. How many times, every day, all across this country does that happen? Who knows? Our justice system may be the best in the world but it is broken and needs to be fixed. This is my small contribution. This country is poised on the edge of a very slippery slope and someone needs to make a stand. Someone needs to bring some attention to it.
Law abiding citizens think they are safe from police abuse but they would be wrong. I am a law abiding citizen and was treated in that fashion.
FARM BOY

Port Deposit, MD

#9 Oct 27, 2011
Dude,
You been cryin' about this for a day now. You seem to be a bite intellegent by using such words like
"VEHEMENTLY,POISED,ect "
You sound more like a scumbag junkie that the boys are tryin to get the hell outta this town, or maybe your the new owner of the smalltown HEAD SHOP that sure as hell don't belong in town either.
So you should be very understanding, when other folks such as I would tell ya to shut the hell up and STOP BITCHIN'. Either shit or get off the pot. Topix.com is for venting much more serious shit and not for cry babies like you.
PIGS

Havertown, PA

#10 Oct 27, 2011
HEY ANY IDEA WHICH OFFICERS WERE INVOLVED
FARM BOY

Port Deposit, MD

#11 Oct 27, 2011
does it really matter..........just scrape the scumbags from the street,the officers dont matter
they deal with douche' bags like you folks everyday
hope this clarifies the rest of your wannabee questions
GO BACK TO CITIES WERE YALL' CAME FROM, AND DEAL YOUR DOPE SHIT THERE, TO CLEAN THE STREETS UP SO TAXPAYERS LIKE I DONT SEE OUR FUNDS GOIN TO THE JAILS AND GIVING YOU DIRTBAGS 3 SQUARES & A ROOF LIKE WE HAVE TO PAY FOR
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#12 Nov 1, 2011
Farm Boy. I don't know how drugs got involved in this topic. Perhaps you have been inhaling the fumes from your tractor for too long. It certainly seems to have affected your ability to communicate in the written form or maybe you don't know how to use spell check.
In any event, I see few matters more important than the gradual degradation of the liberties and rights our Founding Fathers found important enough to write into our Constitution.
I do, however, agree that taxpayers should not be forced to finance the incarceration of those convicted of drug crimes. At the risk of pouring gasoline on the fire of your outrage, let me say that I don't believe that the use, possession of and cultivation of drugs should not be against the law.
Your reaction to that comment should be interesting to read. So far, you have been very amusing.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#13 Nov 1, 2011
Correction. I don't believe that the use, possession of and cultivation of drugs should be against the law.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#14 Nov 1, 2011
PIGS wrote:
HEY ANY IDEA WHICH OFFICERS WERE INVOLVED
I could point them out but remembering names were never my strong suit. Their website neglects to include staff names. perhaps they wish to remain anonymous.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#15 Nov 1, 2011
OLD SCHOOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay I see your point. Where did this whole video tape go down at the Chrome store? Maybe you need to go to a bank instead.
And I see your point. This happened on a Sunday though. I had just returned from selling a load of scrap metal (no, not copper wire).
OLD SCHOOL

Ephrata, PA

#16 Nov 1, 2011
You went and got the check cashed at Chrome. I was in chome getting stuff a year ago and some lady was begging the man to cash a post dated check! very shady!
BillofRightsFan wrote:
<quoted text>
And I see your point. This happened on a Sunday though. I had just returned from selling a load of scrap metal (no, not copper wire).
anon

Scottsdale, AZ

#17 Dec 8, 2011
That sounds like the Rising Sun town clowns to me... I've been pulled over 7 times by the Rising Sun police. Almost everytime my car was searched due to an arrest that happened when I was younger (not by the town police). I was without a doubt profiled. I am a car enthusiast and they see a young guy driving a nice car they thrive to pull you over. I talked to a lawyer about it and he told me there was nothing that I could do and that the Rising sun police department is scum more or less. He told me to advoid going into town. To this day I very rarely go into town (only time I do is to go to PNC). Everytime they search my car "there is a faint odor of marijuana" which is what I was arrested for when I was younger. Then they search my car find nothing and send me on my way. They are not good police officers. They get bored when they arent fighting crime and pull young people over. I know a female that was pulled over for DUI she was very intoxicated and because of the fact that she is very good looking and flirty she they let her go. and that has happened twice to her in town. They should be in the trailer parks or watching high traffic'd areas of rising sun for suspicious activity. Not pulling people over on main street for no reason.
doublewide

United States

#18 Dec 14, 2011
from what i read billofright guy - you did it - where there is smoke there is fire. you have been questioned before, were around a stolen wallet before and have gotten to much cash back in error to many times. i have never gotten to much cash bach - you are probably a flim flam artist trying to throw us off track. your a thief and everyone knows it. plus the chief was out of town - i know cause i was screwing his wife that day.
BillofRightsFan

Clayton, DE

#19 Mar 15, 2012
doublewide, I'm guessing you suffer from some sort of reading/word comprehension disability. Where does it say I was questioned before, around a stolen wallet before and have gotten too much cash back too many times? You don't happen to sit around on your front porch and play the fiddle a lot, do you? Is your Mom also your sister?
Not too many branches on your family tree, huh?
the citizens of risingsun

Owings Mills, MD

#20 Jul 4, 2013
My question is that how can we as citizens in rising sun have a chief who sets on his butt all day, never meets or greats the citizens of rising sun. All he wants to do is collect another salary since he is drawing one from the state. we need to get a new police chief, one from the rising sun area who knows that people and one who really has respect for the citizens. Not one that is just about collecting another pay check and just working 9 to ? Monday through Friday. I have heard that the current mayor and some of the current commissioners wants him out and that they have someone else already picked for the chief of police position. I cannot wait until this current fool is gone...
Lets all get together behind the new chief....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Deposit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jan 14 FireFellow44 21
News Suspicious Man Enters School, Asks To 'See How ... Dec 28 wtf 2
Looking for laborers in North East, MD (Mar '17) Dec '17 Arsen01 2
News Confronting the KKK in rural Maryland: June 1971 (Jan '13) Nov '17 Guest 20
lakeside trailer park,and cecil hill (Sep '08) Nov '17 RGS Rblood 144
Dennis sexton (Oct '14) Oct '17 JRC 4
Review: TV Repairs -- Fast and Thrifty (Feb '11) Oct '17 Mary P 8

Port Deposit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Deposit Mortgages