Posted in the Port Charlotte Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
My hometown

Lawrenceville, GA

#1 Sep 4, 2012
What are your thoughts on this
Place ? I really liked Danny's downtown, now Under new owners located at 307 Marion across from court house ? I haven't been very pleased since it has became the sidebar
StanleyandShirly

North Port, FL

#2 Oct 11, 2012
We use to like Danny's but since the new ownership took over, the food declined and the service was VERY slow. We also noticed the daytime bartendep after her shift getting drunk. Very unprofessional. Never a manager on the floor checking tables. Miss Danny's.
Anonymous

Port Charlotte, FL

#3 Oct 18, 2012
The sidebar is great! The service far exceeds the old Dannys and the other location in Deep Creek. I been to the deep creek location numerous times and have had cardboard-like pizza and waited more than 45 minutes for food.
The staff at the Sidebar is more friendly and has a more professional look than the old Danny's staff. We come at least twice a week and have been happy each and every time.
Mathew

Punta Gorda, FL

#4 Oct 18, 2012
I've also been to both locations before and after new owners took over each. The Sidebar is hands down one of the best places to go. They just rolled out a new menu and if you went there while it was 'Dannys' you know how ridiculous that menu was. Nice to see fresh product. The other location which is now Emil's doesn't use fresh products. Just order anything especially the burger and pizza and you can tell. The Sidebar has the best burger in town. Hands down!! Other local restaurant owners come there for it. Enough said. They also have a inside room that many don't know about in case you want to sit inside and watch the game. As for the bartender getting drunk after her shift like 'dirtystuff' mentioned in there post, I know for a fact the owner doesn't allow the staff to drink after their shift. So, maybe this happened before the takeover. Do yourself a favor and check them out. You'll make it a habit of going back

Ps
As far as no manager or owner on the floor... Been there numerous times and the couple who own it now know my name and what I normally eat. As well as others that were around me,, just saying
Jason

Punta Gorda, FL

#5 Oct 18, 2012
StanleyandShirly wrote:
We use to like Danny's but since the new ownership took over, the food declined and the service was VERY slow. We also noticed the daytime bartendep after her shift getting drunk. Very unprofessional. Never a manager on the floor checking tables. Miss Danny's.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. As new owners my fiance and I are trying to touch base with all our customers. I apologize if we missed you. We do speak to most and know a lot by their names and what they order. As for the food declining, everyone's taste is different. If you liked the old menu then you seem to like frozen, basic pub food. We order nothing but fresh product, cook everything to order and stay away from deep fried things as much as possible.
As for the bartender, we do not allow any of our staff to drink after their shift, period! Too many issues with this before we bought the place. Sorry but, you were mistaken about this. They know we have a zero tolerance on this. Business is hard everywhere you go. Having reviews written by people 'assuming' they see something just makes things worse for those of us who work hard and are liked by most. We do welcome accurate and helpful comments that are fact based.
Catherine

Punta Gorda, FL

#6 Oct 21, 2012
I too am a regular. The owners know my name and I also see other local bar owners there often. They have launched a new fresh menu and the calamari is awesome, made fresh for each order.
This place did have an identity crisis and now has a great new look and menu. The staff is great and is really pushing this business in the right direction.
Larry

Punta Gorda, FL

#7 Oct 21, 2012
Miss Danny's! Far better than either of these places. Danny had a huge selection of great food. I was never disappointed.

Bad management downtown. If I go to either, I go to Deep Creek.
hello

Port Charlotte, FL

#8 Oct 24, 2012
Hi Larry-
The Sidebar has recently launched a brand new menu with lots of fresh, new items. You should give it another try. Not just the same old wings and burgers anymore, although those are still on the menu as well!
Jason

Punta Gorda, FL

#9 Nov 7, 2012
Larry,
The menu was cut down in order to serve fresh food (not frozen like Danny's had). When I go out I want to eat something that hasn't been sitting in a freezer. The burger was always good. They just added a few other ones which are just as good. I understand that a smaller menu helps keep expenses down and also allows them to put out consistent great food. The last time I was there I also asked for something not on the new menu. They were happy to make it. You just have to ask!!
CCR

Cape Coral, FL

#10 Nov 7, 2012
Catherine wrote:
I too am a regular. The owners know my name and I also see other local bar owners there often. They have launched a new fresh menu and the calamari is awesome, made fresh for each order.
This place did have an identity crisis and now has a great new look and menu. The staff is great and is really pushing this business in the right direction.
Wow Catherine. What a lush you must be. Bragging about how you're a regular and you know who all of the other bar owners in town are.
Drink much?
If we go to the Sidebar, will we have the pleasure of seeing you propped up on your barstool?
Most people won't take advice from drunks, but thanks for adding your 2 cents.
Mathew

Punta Gorda, FL

#11 Nov 10, 2012
CCR, REALLY. This is a forum to give good advice about restaurants. Not take pot shots at someone who supports a business. Ape hat you don't get about Punta Gorda is that it is a small town. Bars are within walking distance of each other. Owners spend time in each others places. It's very easy to know the owners even if you don't go out much. Sorry that Cape Coral isn't that way. Most people don't listen or care about comments from mean people with 'agendas'. Which you are and have
Word from the wise

Lawrenceville, GA

#12 Nov 11, 2012
The Owners and married couple that manages are the ones who are allowed to drink and the bartender you see drinking after shift yes that's the manager I believe jelly is her name with blonde hair. I have noticed a huge turnover in staff I was a regular at Danny's I have vistas the sidebar a few times. It's nothing like before ! Take a
Look at your servers body language and attitude they aren't as happy as they once where, Danny's was a fun laid back environment. Also good luck having any entertainment there anymore, I have heard through the grapevine the performs must bring a Certain number of customers or they will not receive full payment for their service. I don't see this place being around long term, the cost for the " fresh food" is going to cause them to shut down this wasn't made for fine dinning, a beer and frozen food at Danny's I was happy so were my servers
Steve

Fort Myers, FL

#13 Nov 12, 2012
CCR wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Catherine. What a lush you must be. Bragging about how you're a regular and you know who all of the other bar owners in town are.
Drink much?
If we go to the Sidebar, will we have the pleasure of seeing you propped up on your barstool?
Most people won't take advice from drunks, but thanks for adding your 2 cents.
This made me literally LOL!! Thank you!
boriq1234

Lehigh Acres, FL

#14 Nov 13, 2012
word for the wise! learn how to write before you post anything on hear idiot.
Mathew

Punta Gorda, FL

#15 Nov 13, 2012
Word from the wise wrote:
The Owners and married couple that manages are the ones who are allowed to drink and the bartender you see drinking after shift yes that's the manager I believe jelly is her name with blonde hair. I have noticed a huge turnover in staff I was a regular at Danny's I have vistas the sidebar a few times. It's nothing like before ! Take a
Look at your servers body language and attitude they aren't as happy as they once where, Danny's was a fun laid back environment. Also good luck having any entertainment there anymore, I have heard through the grapevine the performs must bring a Certain number of customers or they will not receive full payment for their service. I don't see this place being around long term, the cost for the " fresh food" is going to cause them to shut down this wasn't made for fine dinning, a beer and frozen food at Danny's I was happy so were my servers
This is the typical post from the competition that doesn't know what is going on. When the biggest music group around wants to play there the day before Thanksgiving you'd think things were really well. The staff can have a drink after their shift. It was taken away when the owners first took over because it was being abused. The turn over was great. They got rid of the people who thought THEY ran the place. With cameras all over the place the people who got fired got themselves fired. The musicians are told that they will be cut short if they can't bring in a handful of people or, receive partial payment. They choose. All I see in this forum is comments made by people who have 'other interests'. Maybe you should worry about your own place and stop taking shots at the Sidebar. There is a serious lack of professionalism which so many people know about. As far as I'm concerned this is a waste of time. You should worry abut the last 2 health inspections at your place. LOL. From what I saw that place should be shut down. You don't need to bash the competition to feel good about yourself. By the way, just to show how little you know, the couple isn't married, YOUR servers were happy because they stole and drank while working you - Josh! Danny's had a terrible reputation for over pouring and no controls. Think what you want. Fresh food is better than frozen. I guess we will just have to see who sat longer. I'm done with this petty BS.
Katrina

Cape Coral, FL

#16 Nov 14, 2012
boriq1234 wrote:
word for the wise! learn how to write before you post anything on hear idiot.
lol @ Hear.
Nice job making a point.
I am going to try this place now and post an honest review.
Is this the place on Marion, but down closer to the hospital? It sortof a gold color?
Mathew

Punta Gorda, FL

#17 Nov 14, 2012
Katrina wrote:
<quoted text>
lol @ Hear.
Nice job making a point.
I am going to try this place now and post an honest review.
Is this the place on Marion, but down closer to the hospital? It sortof a gold color?
Thanks for having a open mind on my post. You won't be disappointed. And yes, gold color but, becoming white. The side facing Marion (across from courthouse) is white, rest is still gold for now. Ask for the owner if you have comments. They will value your opinion.
Katrina

Cape Coral, FL

#18 Nov 26, 2012
We drove past twice over the weekend and even pulled into the parkinglot, but never stopped.
This place looks strictly like a bar from the outside.It didn't look like a place to go eat.
Wen't to Dean's South of the Border instead. Excellent as always.
Mathew

Punta Gorda, FL

#19 Nov 29, 2012
Katrina wrote:
We drove past twice over the weekend and even pulled into the parkinglot, but never stopped.
This place looks strictly like a bar from the outside.It didn't look like a place to go eat.
Wen't to Dean's South of the Border instead. Excellent as always.
Sorry to hear that, we do have a dining area upstairs and 15 tables on the patio. I'm sure if you give us a try you won't be disappointed.
Rick Mason

Punta Gorda, FL

#22 Dec 25, 2012
My hometown wrote:
What are your thoughts on this
Place ? I really liked Danny's downtown, now Under new owners located at 307 Marion across from court house ? I haven't been very pleased since it has became the sidebar
I must say everyone knows me by name there and I am not a Lush. Lol. I wanted to share my opinion after reading Josh and Tricia take shots at eachother....lol I assume.

Service- I think your least professional server is Jelly. She is lacking on service. She always forget something, cole slaw, dressing, even when I ask for a 2-4-1 she doubles it and confuses the customers. Jelly for a regulars sake just give them 2 cups so they won't get pissed off and never return. The rest of the servers are great... The only name I can remember is Sara but the rest are great.

Food-I have't been to Emil's since josh took over so I have no idea how it is. Sidebar has created a new menu. With new and old items. I tend to order the steak burger or the wings (All orginal items). I guess you have to ask for 'all the way' or they give you a plain burger. Why doesn't the server ask you what you want on it, and then act like I am stupid because I didn't say 'all the way'? The Philly Cheese eggrolls were great! Scott is the best cook that they have but he gets fired everyother week.

Drinks- Good drink deals 2-4-1 on draft beers, well, and wine, I think everthing is 2-4-1 after 9pm with 5 dollar apps. also after 9pm. Be consistent on your drink sizes. I went a month ago and had a 2-4-1 draft from the owner and it was in a 16 ounce chilled class saying that they change their draft sizes....Came back a week later and jelly was serving drafts out of 12 plastic. I think she missed the memo or again just doesnt ive a shit? I don't get it but I feel like Jelly is out to rip you off. Tricia makes by far the best tasting and usually stronger drinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Save on Kane furniture 8 hr Jimmydbbop 2
DEAN KIMBALL LIKES Married Women Dec 20 Bayfront 2
Good Veterinarian (Jan '13) Dec 19 bobbyroosco 4
On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) Dec 19 melissasawlkristof 86
LOWE'S in North Port Flrorida now in construction (Apr '08) Dec 16 Raven 36
Review: House Call Vet - Scott Wouk DVM (Oct '09) Dec 14 goldenluver 12
over-priced bad hair experience (May '11) Dec 6 Beverly 9
Port Charlotte Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Port Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Port Charlotte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Port Charlotte

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]