Area gun sales, fears rising

Area gun sales, fears rising

There are 7566 comments on the North Port Sun story from Nov 14, 2012, titled Area gun sales, fears rising. In it, North Port Sun reports that:

Gun stores in Charlotte County have experienced increased sales since Election Day as local gun owners brace for an anticipated restriction of gun laws following the re-election of President Barack Obama.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Port Sun.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5361 Feb 17, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! That's your claim son, not mine.
LIAR!

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5362 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
But a cop who has not spent as many hours or miles behind the wheel can drive a 100 miles per hour and talk on the phone
What percentage of crashes are caused by a provisional driver talking on the phone???
Less than one percent??
Is there a law against drinking coffee when driving??
Why would the fine be more for a trucker besides the fact they want to raise the cost of everything shipped??
Liberals plot and plan how they can raise the cost of everything as they know that only the poor and stupid vote for liberals
Look at the cost of fuel
It could be cut in half but liberals will fight to raise the prices
The morons posting here are so stupid they don't understand that every penny extra your boss pays cost them two cents every time they go to the store
They listen to their gods that tell them your rich boss deserves to pay more and that is all they know
They are too stupid to even take their head out of the sand
The cops shouldn’t be permitted to talk on their cell phones while driving either.

Big rigs are responsible for approximately 8% of all crashes. That’s disproportional since they’re less than 3% of all vehicles on the road. They’re disproportionally responsible.

It gets worse
http://www.chalatlaw.com/Tractor-Trailer-Acci...
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/semi-...

I’ve been working in Lakeland this week. Part of my drive home includes a 12 mile stretch of 2 lane road. Twice in a week that road was closed due to a crashes between semi’s. That’s a bit excessive. Two times in one week after 9PM.

Most of the time I will not accept a call while driving, if I do it’s hands free.

Southeast Virginia

#5363 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll love this
http://washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-urge-...
Talk about them getting egg on their faces. LMAO!!!
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#5365 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
But a cop who has not spent as many hours or miles behind the wheel can drive a 100 miles per hour and talk on the phone
What percentage of crashes are caused by a provisional driver talking on the phone???
Less than one percent??
Is there a law against drinking coffee when driving??
Why would the fine be more for a trucker besides the fact they want to raise the cost of everything shipped??
Liberals plot and plan how they can raise the cost of everything as they know that only the poor and stupid vote for liberals
Look at the cost of fuel
It could be cut in half but liberals will fight to raise the prices
The morons posting here are so stupid they don't understand that every penny extra your boss pays cost them two cents every time they go to the store
They listen to their gods that tell them your rich boss deserves to pay more and that is all they know
They are too stupid to even take their head out of the sand
I don't mind the cell phone thing all that much, but the part I hate is restricting us from Nextels. Frequently my employer needs to contact us to make a pickup on our way to another stop. Before this idiotic law, he just called us on our Nextel and you didn't take your eyes off the road for one second. Now he has to call us on the phone and we have to fiddle around with that stupid earpiece which is way more distracting than the Nextel. But of course, our politicians and bureaucrats could never figure that out. Plus using cell phones is more expensive than using the two-way Nextel feature. Most of the time I struggle trying to hear WTF my dispatcher is asking me to do because I can't hear the stupid thing.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5367 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct
What is good for the goose is good for Bruce
No such thing as big rigs
But commercial drivers driving trucks have less accidents per mile driven than autos
The average car driver drives about 12k miles per year
The average commercial driver drives a 100k miles per year
It is the miles driven not the number of trucks or cars on the road that must be compared
When I lived in Atlanta the nature of my job had me traveling about 50K miles per year. Care to guess how many collisions? I refuse to drive distracted. Whatever anyone needs can wait until I’m parked or stopped.

No big rigs? Might want to inform these folks http://www.usedbigrigs.com/

The fatality rate for large trucks is 2.4 per 100 million miles. More than 50% higher than passenger cars.

What was that you were saying?

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5368 Feb 17, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind the cell phone thing all that much, but the part I hate is restricting us from Nextels. Frequently my employer needs to contact us to make a pickup on our way to another stop. Before this idiotic law, he just called us on our Nextel and you didn't take your eyes off the road for one second. Now he has to call us on the phone and we have to fiddle around with that stupid earpiece which is way more distracting than the Nextel. But of course, our politicians and bureaucrats could never figure that out. Plus using cell phones is more expensive than using the two-way Nextel feature. Most of the time I struggle trying to hear WTF my dispatcher is asking me to do because I can't hear the stupid thing.
There are solutions to that problem. There are setups which allow Bluetooth to work over your sound system. When I receive a call it turns off the music and there’s a mic pickup directly above me. Works well.

No fiddling with anything, I press a button on my steering wheel and it answers.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#5369 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The cops shouldn’t be permitted to talk on their cell phones while driving either.
Big rigs are responsible for approximately 8% of all crashes. That’s disproportional since they’re less than 3% of all vehicles on the road. They’re disproportionally responsible.
It gets worse
http://www.chalatlaw.com/Tractor-Trailer-Acci...
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/semi-...
I’ve been working in Lakeland this week. Part of my drive home includes a 12 mile stretch of 2 lane road. Twice in a week that road was closed due to a crashes between semi’s. That’s a bit excessive. Two times in one week after 9PM.
Most of the time I will not accept a call while driving, if I do it’s hands free.
I don't think you will find cell phone usage by truck drivers as the main reason for truck crashes. If they want to try and reduce truck/car accidents, perhaps the laws should be made for the cars and not the trucks.

Between people not using their turn signal to warn a truck of a lane change and constantly cutting off our safety distance, it's not a wonder why there isn't more accidents. I can't tell you of how many accidents I escaped because of quick thinking.

Want to make a law? Have a $300.00 fine for anybody changing lanes in front of a truck on a highway less than 200 feet. That would be a huge help to us--especially if strictly enforced. If you slam on your brakes because you are about to miss your exit in front of a truck, that should be a $700.00 fine. Traveling next to a truck for more than one mile,$200.00 fine. If you want to pass me, then keep on passing, but don't speed up, get next to my trailer, and then ride there for the next five miles. If there's something in my lane that I have to swerve to avoid, I can't do that if a car is right next to me.

If they really want to reduce accidents, have a law that restricts load and milage pay. All drivers get paid by the hour. These guys who make next to dirt have to drive like a maniac to make a living because speed is needed to make a living.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5370 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
When I had trucks we used radios that used repeaters like Nextel
The problem is that moron liberals are just using knee jerk solutions instead of looking at the problem
It is only a small percentages of crashes that were caused solely from a phone or radio and that is about as many as caused by the stereo
Just like assault weapons are responsible for about 2 percent of murders morons go after assault weapons
You’re guessing. Data from the NHTSA shows a different result. It’s not just cell phone. There are so many distractions which place others at serious risk.

Not long ago a friend of mine was bragging he was able to defeat the safety on his in-dash DVD player. My thought was great; my friend is an idiot on the road. Behind the wheel we should be doing just one thing, driving.

We all have a least one friend we don’t like riding with because they’re dangerous on the road. If you ask them, they’re the best driver on the road.

Southeast Virginia

#5376 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have a least one friend we don’t like riding with because they’re dangerous on the road. If you ask them, they’re the best driver on the road.
Case in point....an old roommate of mine and I used to carpool to work together. I stopped riding with him because he drove like a complete idiot with no regard for anyone else on the road. The last day we road tohether was also the day I found out he didn't carry any auto insurance.
truthforyouth

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#5377 Feb 17, 2013
if you can watch this 30 sec video and still think that they should ban guns then there is something wrong with you
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5378 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
It was posted over and over and it proves you wrong so your only recourse is to play black.........
You do it very well
Funny. You keep making claims... then show nothing.

All it proves is you keep making claims.

As I said, I can't even call you a moron.... you're not sharp enough to be at that level.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5379 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes when proven wrong the blacks are forced to revert to childish schoolyard games
The link was posted more than ten times yesterday so all you can do is play black..........LOL
So everyone here just laughs at you blacks
lol! Ironically, you do it all the time son! You revert to your childish schoolyard rants.

And that's your decision!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5380 Feb 17, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
LIAR!
Funny. You people always make a claim without support.... as if you expect others to take your word as some sort of truth.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5383 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes when proven wrong the morons act black..........LOL
I Will post the link for you a couple dozen times tomorrow again so we can watch you act like a fool again........LOL
lol! Well son. So far you've proven you're not intelligent enough to even be called a moron.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5384 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not many miles for a full time driver unless you were doing city deliveries
Big rig is not a legal term
Yes deaths are higher in trucks as the weight adds to the energy in a collision
But the number of accidents by commercial drivers per mile is less
I’m not a professional driver. When I was in Georgia our assets were spread out. Most of my work was in Georgia but still had to travel to our Florida locations as well. Frequent long trips add up quickly.

Yes, the increases mass of the larger vehicle would indeed be a contributing factor. All the more reason to be certain the driver’s mind is on the road and not everything else in the world.

NHTSA has the figure at 1.1 per million miles for large trucks and 1.3 per million miles for cars.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5385 Feb 17, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you will find cell phone usage by truck drivers as the main reason for truck crashes. If they want to try and reduce truck/car accidents, perhaps the laws should be made for the cars and not the trucks.
Between people not using their turn signal to warn a truck of a lane change and constantly cutting off our safety distance, it's not a wonder why there isn't more accidents. I can't tell you of how many accidents I escaped because of quick thinking.
Want to make a law? Have a $300.00 fine for anybody changing lanes in front of a truck on a highway less than 200 feet. That would be a huge help to us--especially if strictly enforced. If you slam on your brakes because you are about to miss your exit in front of a truck, that should be a $700.00 fine. Traveling next to a truck for more than one mile,$200.00 fine. If you want to pass me, then keep on passing, but don't speed up, get next to my trailer, and then ride there for the next five miles. If there's something in my lane that I have to swerve to avoid, I can't do that if a car is right next to me.
If they really want to reduce accidents, have a law that restricts load and milage pay. All drivers get paid by the hour. These guys who make next to dirt have to drive like a maniac to make a living because speed is needed to make a living.
No, the laws should be for both.

Let’s not shift all the blame to the drivers off cars. Over and over I’ve seen trucks tailgate both cars and other trucks with less than 20 feet.

One afternoon in Atlanta I had a bozo driving a semi join me in my lane to pass someone. I was in the process of passing him. Here comes to good part, he wasn’t allowed in the far left lane. Too bad a cop didn’t see that. Then the ass flipped me off. Come on, don’t try to paint truckers as innocent victims.

The number one cause for traffic accidents is distraction. The second most common is fatigue. Don’t attempt to defend cell usage. There is no data which will back your POV on that.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5386 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Nextel works like a radio
You must hold the button down when talking
Yes that requires a very expensive stereo and most trucks are to noisy for hands free mic to work
I know exactly what the Nextel does. Really isn’t Nextel anymore, is it? Sprint bought them out. AT&T and some others also have PTT.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5387 Feb 17, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Case in point....an old roommate of mine and I used to carpool to work together. I stopped riding with him because he drove like a complete idiot with no regard for anyone else on the road. The last day we road tohether was also the day I found out he didn't carry any auto insurance.
I have several friends I refuse to ride with. Usually I just tell them I’m not in the mood to fold up into their car. I have a big 4 door F-250. Being a King Ranch it’s also very comfortable inside. I’m not about to be so rude to tell them they drive like fools. I’ve done that just once to a friend in Atlanta. He doesn’t pay attention, he’s constantly on the phone and drives a BMW 7 series. Bad mix.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#5388 Feb 17, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not many miles for a full time driver unless you were doing city deliveries
Big rig is not a legal term
Yes deaths are higher in trucks as the weight adds to the energy in a collision
But the number of accidents by commercial drivers per mile is less
What the hell gave you that idea ?
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#5389 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? There’s a large discrepancy from what you claim and reality. There’s also a discrepancy between the charts.
Your charts indicates Bush generated more debt than Obama. That’s not true. Under Obama the debt has grown more in 4 years than it did in Bush’s 8 years.
The second chart does indeed show debt as a percentage of GDP. It shows on thing and attempts to play what-if on another.
Their claim is if the Republicans balanced their budget the debt would be near 0 percent of GDP and Obama would increase that to 30% of GDP. Their graph shows a great increase after Obama took office. Currently around 110% of GDP.
The Democrats claim we don’t have a debt problem, they claim we have a revenue problem and refuse to increase taxes on anyone making under $400K. WTF?
Stop being hysterical ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
health care (Sep '13) Wed Total Flop 147
News 10-year-old bicyclist critically injured in Cha... (Sep '11) May 23 Kelcy frame 15
Grass is ...well, horrible in North Port May 20 Bznbuny 1
420 is my favorite date! May 20 Wackjob 3
North Port Police Suck! (Jul '07) May 20 Pathetic 138
Tiara Gil-Bory May 17 turtle 1
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) May 12 lewistin9 92
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Charlotte Mortgages