Twin babies found in Port Charlotte s...

Twin babies found in Port Charlotte swimming pool

There are 38 comments on the News Press story from Jan 19, 2010, titled Twin babies found in Port Charlotte swimming pool. In it, News Press reports that:

What should have been a pleasant Saturday afternoon at their grandparents' house in Port Charlotte turned deadly for twin 1-year-old brothers who wandered off and fell into a swimming pool at the home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bonnie

Englewood, FL

#1 Jan 19, 2010
How in god's name do two little babies drown in a pool? Where were the grandparents- and why is it that the mother found them and not the grandparents? why? why?
mike

Seabrook, NH

#2 Jan 21, 2010
Bonnie wrote:
How in god's name do two little babies drown in a pool? Where were the grandparents- and why is it that the mother found them and not the grandparents? why? why?
an older toddler opened the door one went out the other followed, it only takes a minute for disaster to strike , I have a 2 and 3 year old myself.
This is such a terrible and painful thing , people should be praying for this person in her loss, not looking to place blame on someones doorstep
marie

Everett, MA

#3 Jan 21, 2010
I agree with Bonnie..if you have an in ground pool that isnt fenced in why would you leave 2 babies and a toddler in a room where they could open a door to their death?
Trisha PC Fl

Fort Myers, FL

#4 Jan 21, 2010
marie wrote:
I agree with Bonnie..if you have an in ground pool that isnt fenced in why would you leave 2 babies and a toddler in a room where they could open a door to their death?
Shame on you and Bonnie!
If you are a parent (I have my doubts) then you dam well know that if you and your family have been so fortunate to have escaped such a tragedy, that it was by the grace of God himself and sheer luck. NO PARENT is perfect! We all make errors. Like Mike before me said it only takes moments for this type of tragedy to occur. I know that every single parent in this country and every other country have had those *Critical moments* while they were and are raising their children. The most dilligent parent has to admit to at least one of those moments. I know that can not deny it myself. We usually do not make the same mistake twice, such as taking my two year old out of her car seat before I took my new born out of hers and chased my toddler down right before she ran out in front of a car. Lesson learned... but only right before it was to late. So take your judgement and flush it some where. Grow a heart, have some sympathy and thank GOD that this is not your families loss.
A Friend in Massachusetts

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2010
Please pray for the grieving family in their loss. "Judge not, lest you be judged." The loss of two beautiful babies is pain enough. What kind of people add public ridicule based on complete ignorance of the facts to their burden at a time like this? There must be ice-water in their veins. Lets work on our empathy and compassion shall we? And common sense and common courtesy while you are at it. Kicking strangers while they are down is cruel sport. Get a life, a heart and a soul. And thank God for your blessings.
Jenna

Spring Hill, FL

#6 Jan 22, 2010
My family recently suffered a similar loss. Our 2 year old fell into our above-ground pool. It only takes 20 seconds for a child to drown. No one is to blame here, and the pain of losing one child to a drowning, let alone two, is unbearable. My heart goes out to this family. 20 seconds is all it takes for a child to drown. I repeat, 20 seconds!!!!! My son was gone in seconds. Those who are judging this poor family in the worst of worst times, remember you only know a piece of a piece of the story. Hopefully this never happens to you. We need more education around pool safety... there should be no less than 5 layers of protection, including alarms on sliding doors that lead out to the pool, the pool above or in-ground, should have at least a 5 ft fence surrounding it. Automatic shutting gate with an alarm on the gate, and an alarm in the pool... the last two lines of defense should be knowing CPR and survival swim lessons, though these last two should not be counted on as working. It only takes 20 seconds. Please pass it on. If we knew then what we know now, perhaps my son would still be alive. I'm so sorry for your loss. So so sorry...
Jess

Port Charlotte, FL

#7 Jan 23, 2010
My heart truly goes out to this family. I have twins myself and it's not easy. We have had some close calls and lessons learned. Maybe this heartbreaking tragety will be a lesson to many parents of young children before it's too late. God created these beautiful babie and he took them back home for a reason unbeknown to us all.

“Kharmic Justice”

Since: Jan 10

baltimore

#8 Jan 24, 2010
A Friend in Massachusetts wrote:
Please pray for the grieving family in their loss. "Judge not, lest you be judged." The loss of two beautiful babies is pain enough. What kind of people add public ridicule based on complete ignorance of the facts to their burden at a time like this? There must be ice-water in their veins. Lets work on our empathy and compassion shall we? And common sense and common courtesy while you are at it. Kicking strangers while they are down is cruel sport. Get a life, a heart and a soul. And thank God for your blessings.
This is an execellent reply and a good quote to live by "Judge not, lest you be judged." I also pray for the entire family for this loss. Pools must be protected inside and out where children are.

“Kharmic Justice”

baltimore

#9 Jan 24, 2010
This is an execellant quote to live by. " Judge not, lest you be judged. " I also pray for the entire family for this loss. Pools must be protected inside and out if children are even in the vicinity at all.
ramdom

United States

#10 Jan 27, 2010
you know i do fell bad for the family but damn their was the grandpa and the mother at the house and that still happend the so could have been prevented and how do they know that the 3 year old was to blame for opening the sliding door that messed up they are willing to blame a 3 year old and not take resonability for thir own, now that poor 3 year old will live the rest of hie life thing it was all his falt. but like i said i do feel bad for the family but that could have been prevented.
Trisha PC Fl

Fort Myers, FL

#11 Jan 27, 2010
Before you spend time out of your day judging other people, maybe you should think about getting an education?
Your literary skills are reporable.(That means bad)
This family does not need your hill billy version of Sysco and Ebert commentary.
Do the world a favor and focus the energy it took for you to post this, and learn to read and write.
ramdom wrote:
you know i do fell bad for the family but damn their was the grandpa and the mother at the house and that still happend the so could have been prevented and how do they know that the 3 year old was to blame for opening the sliding door that messed up they are willing to blame a 3 year old and not take resonability for thir own, now that poor 3 year old will live the rest of hie life thing it was all his falt. but like i said i do feel bad for the family but that could have been prevented.

SW FL since 1978

#12 Jan 28, 2010
The blame goes to whoever overlooked the baby barrier, and the adults that were not watching the babies.
Family is Evreything

Brockton, MA

#13 Jan 29, 2010
First of all the grandfather was not at home he was @ his brothers wedding, second of all the babies where with there mother who happend to live with her parents with her kids!! Third of all The mother never looked in the pool area which is always locked up, and they have gates all through the house because the door was closed, she waised precious time looking evreywhere else even up the street,because she never thought to look there because the door was closed shut! 4th of all Nobody blamed the three yr old, he admited it to evreyone including the police, once he was not scared anymore!! and his mother has already taken steps to get him councling, and have told him repedatly that it is just an accident. So you all need to shut your mouths and let my family grieve!! You dont think The mother feels awful enough? You dont think she already is searving a life sentence? Let her move on in her own grieving, and let her be! She was a great mother who loved her boys, and played on the floor and sang to them evreyday of there lives! Christian only had to hear the word music and start bobbing his head, and that is a testment to the mother constantly singing and playing with her kids!! So please let God be the Judge and he has already spoken. He loves her and he has those twins waiting for her. Evreyone else Just keep your mouth quiet unless it is support
Trisha PC Fl

Fort Myers, FL

#14 Jan 29, 2010
I am terribly sorry for your families loss. Try not to let those comments cause you any more pain. They came from calous self rightous people. If anything just feel sorry for them. Let mommy know that there are people who care and would never judge her. This was a very touching post that you left. It pains me that instead of being able to leave a post that expresses your greif, you fealt stonger need to defend your family. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family, and the mommy who has two empty cribs where two little angels once slept.
Family is Evreything wrote:
First of all the grandfather was not at home he was @ his brothers wedding, second of all the babies where with there mother who happend to live with her parents with her kids!! Third of all The mother never looked in the pool area which is always locked up, and they have gates all through the house because the door was closed, she waised precious time looking evreywhere else even up the street,because she never thought to look there because the door was closed shut! 4th of all Nobody blamed the three yr old, he admited it to evreyone including the police, once he was not scared anymore!! and his mother has already taken steps to get him councling, and have told him repedatly that it is just an accident. So you all need to shut your mouths and let my family grieve!! You dont think The mother feels awful enough? You dont think she already is searving a life sentence? Let her move on in her own grieving, and let her be! She was a great mother who loved her boys, and played on the floor and sang to them evreyday of there lives! Christian only had to hear the word music and start bobbing his head, and that is a testment to the mother constantly singing and playing with her kids!! So please let God be the Judge and he has already spoken. He loves her and he has those twins waiting for her. Evreyone else Just keep your mouth quiet unless it is support
james

Cape Coral, FL

#15 Feb 2, 2010
i fell for the parents and Grandparents, but lets face it, if these kids drowned somewhere in public, someone would be going to jail. it seems parents are becoming less and less responcible for the safety of their kids and the general public more and more. this is a clear case of child neglect. sorry for your loss, but if you stab your own arm, it still hurts and you still have to pay for what you have done

SW FL since 1978

#16 Feb 3, 2010
Family is Evreything wrote:
First of all the grandfather was not at home he was @ his brothers wedding, second of all the babies where with there mother who happend to live with her parents with her kids!! Third of all The mother never looked in the pool area which is always locked up, and they have gates all through the house because the door was closed, she waised precious time looking evreywhere else even up the street,because she never thought to look there because the door was closed shut! 4th of all Nobody blamed the three yr old, he admited it to evreyone including the police, once he was not scared anymore!! and his
mother has already taken steps to get him councling, and have told him repedatly that it is just an accident. So you all need to shut your mouths and let my family grieve!! You dont think The mother feels awful enough? You dont think she already is searving a life sentence? Let her move on in her own grieving, and let her be! She was a great mother who loved her boys, and played on the floor and sang to them evreyday of there lives! Christian only had to hear the word music and start bobbing his head, and that is a testment to the mother constantly singing and playing with her kids!! So please let God be the Judge and he has already spoken. He loves her and he has those twins waiting for her. Evreyone else Just keep your mouth quiet unless it is support
So no Adult is responsible when it came to the safety and welfare of those children ? Since they were too young to look out for themselves, who was ?
amen

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2010
amen
JUST AINT RITE

Port Huron, MI

#18 Feb 11, 2010
THE STORY IN WHOLE , DOES NOT SOUND RITE ??
(especially when the mother admitted to a room of people ,
that she didnt want the babies in the first place.)

HOPE THIS IS BEING INVESTIGATED ?
Crystal

Toronto, Canada

#19 Feb 12, 2010
It may only take 20 seconds for a baby to drown, but not watching toddlers at all times around a pool is negligent, period. Not locking a door that leads to a pool when you have children in the house is negligent, period. In addition, your child should always be within arms reach when they are near water. If you can't maintain this kind of protection for children, then you shouldn't be in care of them.
And yes, I'm a mom. My children might get annoyed that I'm always around, but at least they're alive. When my children are awake, I don't watch TV or sit on the computer, I play with them. I pay attention to them. Just like you're supposed to be doing.
Crystal

Toronto, Canada

#20 Feb 12, 2010
Trisha PC Fl wrote:
Before you spend time out of your day judging other people, maybe you should think about getting an education? <quoted text>

This sentence should end with a period, not a question mark.
Trisha PC Fl wrote:
Your literary skills are reporable.(That means bad)
<quoted text>
Actually, I'm not sure what reporable means, because it isn't a real word. I'm not sure how you spelled that wrong, considering this comment box has spell check. I find it hilarious that you're criticizing someone's spelling with your own improper spelling.
Trisha PC Fl wrote:
This family does not need your hill billy version of Sysco and Ebert commentary.
<quoted text>
Hillbilly is one word, and it's Siskel, not Sysco.
Trisha PC Fl wrote:
Do the world a favor and focus the energy it took for you to post this, and learn to read and write.
<quoted text>
Too many ands, sweetie. This should read:
Do the world a favor - focus the energy it took for you to post this, and use it to learn to read and write.
If you prefer, you could also insert a period after favor and start a new sentence.

I love how your post starts off with criticizing the judgment of other people, then continues to hypocritically judge that person with the same type of bad spelling and grammar. Nothing beats a know-nothing know-it-all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida blaze spreads after ripping through hom... 18 hr joe 16
Locksmith Apr 21 Eturner53 1
Looking for a date Apr 14 James197145 1
Nude beach (Apr '13) Apr 13 John 12
News Charlotte County considers lower residential sp... Apr 13 Jenson_2012 1
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) Apr 10 Teresa McDonald 114
hoyusehold dog limits in PGI? Apr 9 savantgary 1

Port Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Port Charlotte Mortgages