Retiring to Port Angeles
armacoonsum

Daphne, AL

#1 Jul 2, 2017
Hi! My husband and I have been researching for months, trying to find the "perfect" place to retire in the Pacific Northwest... We've looked at Bend, Oregon (beautiful, but too dry) Astoria, Oregon (perfect climate and charming, not enough real estate available) Leavenworth, WA (perfect climate and gorgeous but too small and remote). Port Washington really sings to us with the perfect amount of rain, cool summers, moutain views, coastline and charming downtown. We are used to a LOT of stormy gray weather, living on the Gulf Coast. In fact, that has been the only part we like about living here. The heat is unbearable at least 6 months of the year... It is often 80 degrees here on Christmas! 😝 Also, our political views and general mindset are way out of step with most of the population around here. We're almost like refugees...
Anyway, I suppose I have 3 questions.
Ideally, we'd like to buy a pretty couple of acres with moutain views and put up a pre-fab, or modular type a-frame cabin. Are such structures allowed by local regulations?
Is good medical care for seniors available in town?
This is an odd one, but necessary - What about flying insects, cockroaches in particular? I understand that, with trees come insects, but was hoping that the lack of real heat there would mitigate that situation a bit.
Sorry so long-winded. I am a bit excited. 😉 Thanks, in advance @
VisitPortAngeles

Redmond, OR

#2 Jul 6, 2017
Hello, you've definitely pinpointed some of the best spots around the PNW to possibly move to!

1) Yes, this shouldn't be a problem, but you'll need to check with zoning laws depending on city or county that the property is in. I'd advise talking to a local real estate pro.

2) Yes. The Olympic Medical Center has a great reputation. They were recently awarded as one of the Top 20 Rural Hospitals nationally. You can see the article here: https://www.visitportangeles.com/press-accola... . Also, Seattle, Washington is only a 1.5 hour drive from Port Angeles so big city medical care is not far away.

3) No, we don't have any of those kinds of bugs. You'll have to contend with butterflies and bees mainly :)
armacoonsum wrote:
Hi! My husband and I have been researching for months, trying to find the "perfect" place to retire in the Pacific Northwest... We've looked at Bend, Oregon (beautiful, but too dry) Astoria, Oregon (perfect climate and charming, not enough real estate available) Leavenworth, WA (perfect climate and gorgeous but too small and remote). Port Angeles Washington really sings to us with the perfect amount of rain, cool summers, mountain views, coastline and charming downtown. We are used to a LOT of stormy gray weather, living on the Gulf Coast. In fact, that has been the only part we like about living here. The heat is unbearable at least 6 months of the year... It is often 80 degrees here on Christmas! 😝 Also, our political views and general mindset are way out of step with most of the population around here. We're almost like refugees...
Anyway, I suppose I have 3 questions.
Ideally, we'd like to buy a pretty couple of acres with mountain views and put up a pre-fab, or modular type a-frame cabin. Are such structures allowed by local regulations?
Is good medical care for seniors available in town?
This is an odd one, but necessary - What about flying insects, cockroaches in particular? I understand that, with trees come insects, but was hoping that the lack of real heat there would mitigate that situation a bit.
Sorry so long-winded. I am a bit excited. 😉 Thanks, in advance @
Anonymous

Redmond, OR

#3 Jul 6, 2017
Oops, I had a typo below... should be 2.5 hours from Seattle
VisitPortAngeles wrote:
Hello, you've definitely pinpointed some of the best spots around the PNW to possibly move to!

1) Yes, this shouldn't be a problem, but you'll need to check with zoning laws depending on city or county that the property is in. I'd advise talking to a local real estate pro.

2) Yes. The Olympic Medical Center has a great reputation. They were recently awarded as one of the Top 20 Rural Hospitals nationally. You can see the article here: https://www.visitportangeles.com/press-accola... . Also, Seattle, Washington is only a 1.5 hour drive from Port Angeles so big city medical care is not far away.

3) No, we don't have any of those kinds of bugs. You'll have to contend with butterflies and bees mainly :)

<quoted text>
armacoonsum

Mobile, AL

#4 Jul 7, 2017
VisitPortAngeles wrote:
Oops, I had a typo below... should be 2.5 hours from Seattle

<quoted text>
Thank you so much for your reply! I am even more excited, now.. I know no place is perfect, but I have yet to find one disadvantage to living there. We're now looking at Airbnb for potential visit in the near future. Thank you, again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Port Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UFO Sighting Reports (Sep '10) Sun Study 19
Corruption in Clallam County. (Feb '09) May '18 The actual Truth 56
Bryants Marina (Jan '08) May '18 DERSEQUIM 22
News Jury Convicts Man In Port Angeles Murder (Apr '06) Nov '17 SunnyDawn 7
News McCauley takes job with Jefferson County (Jun '17) Jul '17 Jimmy Marsters 3
Bonnie Lynn Palmer (Feb '17) Jul '17 Timber 3
Living in Port Angeles? (Dec '08) Jun '17 PA resident 44

Port Angeles Jobs

Personal Finance

Port Angeles Mortgages