rocker

Poplar Bluff, MO

#82 Sep 11, 2009
http://www.pbjhs.com/pbhistory/hist13.html

OK, here we go...lots of other good pics there, too.
rocker

Poplar Bluff, MO

#83 Sep 11, 2009
1954, I was way off on the date. lol
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#84 Sep 11, 2009
My family had a bookkeeping and income tax business downtown. Just down the sidewalk there was a door leading upstairs to the "Doom Rooms." I always thought what in the heck is the Doom Rooms. I think it was a boarding house, or a place where the Rail Road men could spend the night.

The Doom Rooms.
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#85 Sep 11, 2009
peckerwood wrote:
Just a few I remember at the moment.

Sam the tamale man on 9th street
Yes! I have posted about this a couple of times. We used to stop and get tamales. He was just up from Maude on 9th.
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#86 Sep 11, 2009
country girl wrote:
the tee pees on 67 north
crossing the train tracks on ditch road
the sale barn to buy chickens or fresh produce
the pink mansion were wal-mart is now
Ozark ridge golf course only had nine holes
the old butcher shop on 67 south
mr pickets grocery store off of 53 hwy
my aunts worked at the shoe factory and my uncle at the Renelle boat factory
Russell stovers box factory
The Tee Pees was a motel on old 67 just before you crossed the old bridge. My Mom's friend bought that property and finally tore the Tee Pees down.
CCC

Poplar Bluff, MO

#87 Sep 11, 2009
the tee pees on 67 north

Remember the joke thar Reinell boats and Rowe Furniture were going to merge and make Rowe boats? lol

Since: Sep 09

United States

#88 Sep 11, 2009
CCC wrote:
the tee pees on 67 north
Remember the joke thar Reinell boats and Rowe Furniture were going to merge and make Rowe boats? lol
THAT is funny!
PB LIFER

Faridabad, India

#89 Sep 11, 2009
Garrison Furniture
Starwalt Pontiac
Bluff City Ford on the East side where the housing authority is now
Frontier Motel right across the street
Jess' Drive in, but didnt have a drive in lol
Hep Ur Sef Gas Station
Poplar Bluff Hospital
Lucy Lee Hospital
Don White Drum and Music
Ross Clothing Store
Lee Optical
Jack Smith 66
The Jewel Theater
Banned User

Lake Ozark, MO

#90 Sep 11, 2009
peckerwood wrote:
Bus station at broadway and main.
Mann's Market.
Gillespies Grocery.
Robinsons Lumber.
Volkswagen next to Hardees South.
City Motor sales.
Pruitts bar-b-que at 60-67.
Bill and Genes at Lester and 12th.
Starwalt Motors.
Baldwins Mill.
Banned User, was Cut Rate Drugs in Valley Plaza?
Bluff Cut Rate Drugs was downtown on Main, right next to Bank of Poplar Bluff. It was run by a guy named Forrest.

My mom used to work at Oppermann's right next to the bus station. I would walk from school at WK and spend a couple hours beating up on the pinball machines, even though I was barely tall enough to see over them. It used to make some of the bus drivers mad that I was better than them!

Speaking of the old neighborhood grocery stores, what was the one on Gardner Street(and either 10th or 11th)?

“The REAL Crazy Joe!”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91 Sep 11, 2009
I remember the Ozark Hotel when there was a restaurant in the bottom floor. Also, I bought my first brand new truck from Bill Childress Chevrolet where the radio station is located now. I remember going to Sonic where Plaza Tire is now and A&W that was where the Sonic across is now. I remember when Harry Blackwell and Roger Baldwin opened their first car dealership. Now they are the largest dealerships in the entire region. I also remember when they were building the new water tower on the south end of Bacon park.
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#92 Sep 11, 2009
tinkerone wrote:
Oh, what memories....parking way out on north 14th.......
Man....I forgot about that. You would make a right off Baron road (coming from main) and go to the end. There was a little loop there to turn around. I imagine that's just about where the new highway 60 bypass is now. I was out there one night parking with my girlfriend after going to the movies at the Rodgers theater and stopping for a root beer float at A & W. We were just getting the windows fogged up when I hear this tapping on the window. I look up and there's a city cop holding his badge against the window shining his flashlight on it. I said, "Hey man, we're out of the city limits here." LOL.....He said, "Yeah, but you have to drive back in to the city limits to get out of here." He left, we waited and waited wondering if that cop was waiting for us. It ruined the moment. Hahahahaha.
TopCat1

Wichita Falls, TX

#93 Sep 11, 2009
There used to be a place in Poplar Bluff, kindly like a Boarding House, only they served lunch, family style, for a real cheap price. Does anyone remember that?
one of many CJ friends

Grover, MO

#94 Sep 11, 2009
Fan of Crazy Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,I agree .Times are changing.What is that large building across from the Poplarbluff Post Office?It looks like a prison from a foreign country.The bricks don't match,well they kindof go with that beat up road that looks like it was drug here from mexico.Do you 'ans have a city street department down there?And what happened to the grant money for the depot ?There has been 2 large grants to fix it up.Did the Democrats embezzle it for Obama?I 'm gonna have to call Joe and get him on this one.
You go!!!

Since: Aug 08

San Francisco, CA

#95 Sep 11, 2009
spectator wrote:
My mother was a waitress at the Dunn Coffee shop for years.My Dad was a cab driver at radio cab for years.Oh how I enjoyed the food there.The steel bridge to the east side over the river.And yes the steps from the railroad station I've climbed them many times.How about when the Cisco Kid and Poncho came to the box factory?The Cisco Kid Kissed me on the cheek wow!!!
I remember a waitress at the Dunn by the name of Sadie...she worked for us a few times at private home parties too..

San Francisco, CA

#96 Sep 11, 2009
Randy D wrote:
<quoted text>
Man....I forgot about that. You would make a right off Baron road (coming from main) and go to the end. There was a little loop there to turn around. I imagine that's just about where the new highway 60 bypass is now. I was out there one night parking with my girlfriend after going to the movies at the Rodgers theater and stopping for a root beer float at A & W. We were just getting the windows fogged up when I hear this tapping on the window. I look up and there's a city cop holding his badge against the window shining his flashlight on it. I said, "Hey man, we're out of the city limits here." LOL.....He said, "Yeah, but you have to drive back in to the city limits to get out of here." He left, we waited and waited wondering if that cop was waiting for us. It ruined the moment. Hahahahaha.
LOL...I love it!!! I got my first major "education" out on that loop....hehehehe

San Francisco, CA

#97 Sep 11, 2009
Lee Bryan Lincoln-Mercury, Vandover Motor Company, Ted Fuller Pontiac, Shackleford Ford, City Motor Sales, Clark Motor Company, hmmmmm gotta think of some more. South Fifth Street on a good Sat...Farmers Cash, Metz?? Lumber Company, Holcomb Hardware, Wallis-Case Dairy, Anderson Furniture Company, lots of bars and small restaurants...Wiseman Salvage....Piggie Hoggs,
The Brokerage Dept Store, Garfinkles, all the whore houses around the police station with the red lights on for the railroad men, Hillis?? Yamaha, Blakeney Dairy on Main for Ice Cream, Morrison L Cleveland Insurance and his radio ads. Ezra Cox Insurance and his castle house...Boeving Bros Cotton Company...The Daily Standard Office Store for school supplies...The Ben Franklin for candy and toys, Dora Holloway, Bud Holloway always pickin up her bills at places she "shopped" LOL...Barnes Grocer...PB computer center run by Nick Goodrich??? The Tower Motel with the coffee shop and the terrible pool accident where one of the Vandover children drowned...The VW dealer...remember the camping VW....Starwalt Auto Sales...Ernie Chaffin...Larry Hillis Crazy Motorcyclist skills...add more...Bamby Bakery for creamhorns on walk home from the Rogers on a Sat...Dr Walker Long driving a golf cart in to the swimming pool at Westwood...LOL...
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#98 Sep 11, 2009
Banned User wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of the old neighborhood grocery stores, what was the one on Gardner Street(and either 10th or 11th)?
Was it on Gardner or Tremont? I remember it was down the hill from Old Mark Twain. I used to stop in there to get candy cigarettes and the those little wax soda bottles. Oh....and the wax lips.

There was a little store on N. Main and I think Mulberry st. not too far past New Mark Twain. Was that Chance's store?
visitor

United States

#99 Sep 11, 2009
Whitley Park.
Randy D

Clermont, FL

#100 Sep 11, 2009
tinkerone wrote:
Blakeney Dairy on Main for Ice Cream,...Ernie Chaffin...Larry Hillis Crazy Motorcyclist skills..
Yeah. When I was in grade school I went to Old Mark Twain. My step-grandparents lived on N. Main and Hickory. They had a big brick house and on the front porch was a box with a lid from Blakeney Dairy. They would stop and deliver fresh milk and cream and pick up the empty bottles.

And later, I remember going to the movies at the Rodgers Theater and before the movie would start they would show an advertisement for Joe's Motorcycle shop. It would be Ernie Chaffin riding a wheelie. I think it was filmed at the Poplar Bluff Air Port. I think he rode that wheelie the entire length of the runway.

San Francisco, CA

#101 Sep 11, 2009
Corrigan Motor Co and the great Corrigan party mansion down on south 6th?? Sharp Motor Company, Wm L Cohen Furniture, King Motor Company, Baumgart Motors, Ott Wallis and his ballteam, Boss Ashcroft..one of the business pioneers of the US, The Boeving, Clarkson, Belknap dynasty. Beautiful, wealthy, catholic, kinda reminded me of the Kennedys...Roger and Judy Baldwin, beautiful couple. The Stracks..more pretty people. Linda Bloodworth writing things at Westwood pool...wonder if she amounted to anything???LOL...Abington Properties, Judge Henson the hanging judge, Howard Bloodworth, the cowboy lookin lawyer, Joe Hefner..."Don't care what they say about, just as long as they are talking about me...Will trade for anything and deliver anywhere....Sandy Dowd...biggins...more later....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Princess 2 hr just sayin 24
Amber Wrinkle (Aug '13) 5 hr just sayin 13
Jimmy Willis 5 hr fact 4
Is Slapping a Child "CHILD ABUSE" ? (Jan '10) 6 hr Sarasmommy 306
Walmart Neighborhood Market 6 hr The Law 10
African Americans 6 hr I Know 17
Justsayin 8 hr Guest 3
Poplar Bluff Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Poplar Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Ranking Re-Sign Priorities for Chiefs
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 5:32 AM
Eric Berry "in good spirits" during visit from Chiefs brass
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?