United States

#64 Sep 10, 2009
guest wrote:
broadway cafe on 5th st.......
great place to eat with the family
ye old dr pepper plant

Saint Louis, MO

#65 Sep 10, 2009
radio cab ,city cab hillside bar on vine st., also used to be not only 303 but their was a 503 liquor also on south broadway, broadway cafe, ray robinson had broadway cafe and 5 daughter that any one of them could have been a playmate the co-op amusement next door use to be a standard station on pine at B st and a sinclair on the other side of the street also used to be a pretty good size motel at D st and Pine but can't remember the name of it, the big swings, the B_A_B swimming holes, that shell station moved out to 67 north and the cadilac dealer at 2nd and pine johhny lombards grocery on B st the butler county fair was at 142 and Hw 53 now thats was a fun place.
50plus

Faridabad, India

#66 Sep 10, 2009
I dont think Skate City ever had a wood floor, the old rink did and I think they were both open at the same time for a while.
ye old dr pepper plant

Saint Louis, MO

#67 Sep 10, 2009
jewel theatre on main st. they were just building the valley plaza, harly nothing after that until loma linda
50plus

Faridabad, India

#68 Sep 10, 2009
movie wrote:
the two drive in theaters that were on 67 south and the minature golf behind burger cheif
The PB Drive In where Showplace 8 is now and The Southland on the east side of 67 around where Ashleys furniture is.
Wow wee

Chagrin Falls, OH

#69 Sep 10, 2009
peckerwood wrote:
Just a few I remember at the moment.
The Steel Grill
The Go Go club
Riggs Wholesale between fifth and broadway.
The Crown Hotel
Mills Iron on Broadway.
Western Auto on Main Street
Woolworths
Ben Franklins 5-10 on Vine and Fifth
The Criterion theater
The Strand theater
The Ozark Hotel
Vanoy Hotel
Marion Hotel
The Triangle club
5th Street Tavern
The Tip Top Tavern
Chucks Tavern
The Wikiki club
The Tijuana club
Stouts Lounge
Farmers Cash on 5th street
Scobey's auto parts all 3 locations
S&H auto parts
The Hill Top bar
Piggly Wiggleys
A & P Market
Rebel Market
Piggy Hoggs at ninth and maud
Cotton Bakers
Coca Cola plant
Falstaff distributing
Silent Georges
Stucker and Groves
Jesse's drive in
Pops Pit Bar-b-que
Farmers Cash on Fifth
Overbeys Furniture
John Kyles Liquor store
Vandover Moters
Swanks motor lodge
Scotts Cafe
Kater Inn Rooms for rent behind the original liquor store
Ted Fuller Pontiac
Harmon Oldsmobile Cadillac
Bill and Daves Furniture
Hy McWilliams Furniture
Clarks Grocery, Andersons Grocery, Corner Grocery at 9th and Park
K&R Sporting goods on Pine
Cohens Furniture
Modern Laundry Cleaners
Dr Pepper plant on Bartlett
Carnahans Feed
Parkin Lanning Glass
Tip Thackers Gun Shop at Loma Linda
Old Skating rink out by Myatts drapery
Sligers Grocery at 67 and township
King of Tapes
96 Sundries
Winfreys cafe and Resnick Tractors now First Midwest
The DX station
Zepher Station
Sinclair station
Shell station across from court house
Sam the tamale man on 9th street
Anyone remember the name of Mr. Neils antique store where Supertints and Country Harvest are now?
Man-o-man How old are you? LOL
country girl

United States

#70 Sep 10, 2009
I remember the floor at skate city was rough as heck listing to disco lol and skating backwards then playing the old pinball machines
and when you were done skating either walking to burger chef or dairy queen
Anderson furniture
Dennis two way radio
going to Newman amusement behind Lonnie's to buy old 45 records
PB Grad

Poplar Bluff, MO

#71 Sep 10, 2009
Jay's Music
Speed Limit of 45 through most of town
Rax
KXOQ
KJEZ - when it was Easy Listening Music
Bo's BBQ
Both A&W's
Stiber's
The old 53 bridge aross the train tracks
Fan of Crazy Joe

Saint Louis, MO

#72 Sep 10, 2009
ask me if i care wrote:
Uncle Joe's by the sale barn
Chicken D's -child concern
Johnson Cafe
Old kmart-now hastings
Just reading some of these post brought back memories. wow times sure has changed
Yes,I agree .Times are changing.What is that large building across from the Poplarbluff Post Office?It looks like a prison from a foreign country.The bricks don't match,well they kindof go with that beat up road that looks like it was drug here from mexico.Do you 'ans have a city street department down there?And what happened to the grant money for the depot ?There has been 2 large grants to fix it up.Did the Democrats embezzle it for Obama?I 'm gonna have to call Joe and get him on this one.
spectator

Ozark, AL

#73 Sep 10, 2009
My mother was a waitress at the Dunn Coffee shop for years.My Dad was a cab driver at radio cab for years.Oh how I enjoyed the food there.The steel bridge to the east side over the river.And yes the steps from the railroad station I've climbed them many times.How about when the Cisco Kid and Poncho came to the box factory?The Cisco Kid Kissed me on the cheek wow!!!
Ally2u

United States

#74 Sep 10, 2009
Sisk's Auto where I bought my first car. The garment factory. The old beauty college. Remember when plate lunches were $1.00 at Broadway Cafe? Frontier Restaurant.

Speaking of Newman's Amusement, I bought 45's for a quarter in the 60's.
Banned User

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#75 Sep 10, 2009
Saturday night music at the Carpenter's Hall, then later the Aad Grotto Hall. What a big deal it was when the Plummer Family came to town!

FASTPITCH Softball at Whitely Park(Archie's, Legrand, PB Aviation)and eating at Scott's Cafe afterwards(where I read my first filthy poem on a bathroom wall and remember it to this day)

Baseball cards at Ben Franklin

Comics at Bluff Cut Rate Drug

Pinball at the Bus Station
and Bluff Lanes(Jumpin Jack)
and Cotton Bowl(Delta Queen)
and Mansion Mall(Future Spa)
and Broadway Cafe(Silverball Mania)
and Cotton Bowl again(Space Invaders pinball)

Fresh bologna and those bags of BBQ chips with the hillbilly on front at Frank's Market

Finally getting "promoted" to Levi's at Roth's

My first albums at Uncle Joe's and my best albums at Salt of the Earth

Going to Call of the Wild twice the first weekend they opened

Grocery shopping with the folks at Hogg's

Laundromat at Poplar and S 8th

Oppermann's Flowers

Buying bags of those cheap cheese puffs at Newberrys that smelled like vomit on a rug

Donut Shack

Even better donuts from Big Star

Shooting hoops at Hillcrest Park
then Mark Twain
then behind Hickory House

Chico's and Burger Chef for lunch in high school

Raider games at the high school

Epic wiffle ball games in the lot behind the Walker's and Woodsmall's houses.

jleach50

Greenup, IL

#76 Sep 11, 2009
I was born in Poplar Bluff. Poplar Bluff Hospital. My dad was in the service for 20 years. We lived in PB when he would go overseas. I remember alot of these places. I have not been back to PB for awhile. Is Bluff Billiards no longer there? How does the downtown area look now? Last time I was there it was beginning to look like a ghost town. The last time I lived in PB, I worked at the Holiday Inn next to Grecian. Thanks
south side girl

AOL

#77 Sep 11, 2009
what about 53 package when it was poor paul bennets, and Tower motel/restaurant. And lets not forget BJ's bar on 53 formerly Jack's I think.
Ally2u

United States

#78 Sep 11, 2009
anyone remember sitting on a cotton sack with a bologna,cheese, and potato chip sandwich. Drinking a coke from a bottle with peanuts in it?

Snowy white blouses from the old Graber store on Main St. When we ironed our bras with a sharp vertical creases? Putting our starched blue jeans on stretchers? Remember those swirled bobbie socks?

“Ladies don't spit”

Since: May 08

Poplar Bluff

#79 Sep 11, 2009
Bus station at broadway and main.
Mann's Market.
Gillespies Grocery.
Robinsons Lumber.
Volkswagen next to Hardees South.
City Motor sales.
Pruitts bar-b-que at 60-67.
Bill and Genes at Lester and 12th.
Starwalt Motors.
Baldwins Mill.

Banned User, was Cut Rate Drugs in Valley Plaza?
rocker

Doniphan, MO

#80 Sep 11, 2009
jleach50 wrote:
I was born in Poplar Bluff. Poplar Bluff Hospital. My dad was in the service for 20 years. We lived in PB when he would go overseas. I remember alot of these places. I have not been back to PB for awhile. Is Bluff Billiards no longer there? How does the downtown area look now? Last time I was there it was beginning to look like a ghost town. The last time I lived in PB, I worked at the Holiday Inn next to Grecian. Thanks
The downtown area is sad looking now.
I recently saw pics of how it looked long ago, & it reminded me of the movie Cars when Radiator Springs was in it's hayday. It was beautiful, the lights & colors....I believe the link to these old photos was here on topix but can't remember the thread title.....

chidoug

Since: Apr 08

Chicago, IL

#81 Sep 11, 2009
Charles Smith wrote:
<quoted text>How old are you? I think it's a fine use of this forum to relive pleasant memories of growing up here.Don't you have any good childhood memories to share,yet?
first off i don't know what my age has to do with anything. and for another i did offer a good memory, regardless if you liked it or not. because the fact was a lot of stuff i did when i was growing up can and has been consider sexual harassment, such as playing kiss tag. do you not remember reading about the 6 yr old boy being charge after playing kiss tad. i can't find the story or remember what happen in the case but here is a link to something in some regard the same as i was speaking of
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-43523...

also you might think that this forum is a good place to talk about good memories of when you were growing up, and that's fine. but the fact remains that this is a "news" forum

and to answer your question. i am 32

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billy Ketcherside, Where does this piece of shi... 1 min Guest 1
Billy ketcherside (Apr '12) 9 min Guest 13
Used car dealerships to avoid. 12 min Berry 2
Tax refunds 2017 58 min tax payer 3
Pop Roxx Arcade (Nov '15) 1 hr abc 30
Termination of Parental rights or criminal intent 2 hr Criminal Judges 21
Matt's Auto- AA hwy 8 hr corn 2

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance