#1 Jun 14, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has worked for them and what the experience is like
terrible

Poplar Bluff, MO

#2 Jun 14, 2010
Yes and it was terrible!!

Fenton, MO

#3 Jun 14, 2010
I wirk fo thim in the spellchuck departmant.

Seriously, I currently work for them and it is HORRIBLE. Don Schreiber is the son of SATAN and his little b*tch daughter is just as bad. she is 18 and she writes regularily. NO experience and she calls herself a journalist. I hate the job but it pays the bills.
Words cannot describe how HORRIBLE Don Schreiber is. Most of the people that work there hate him and his little snit daughter. I, along with many others act like we like him and we kiss his ass because he fires ppl for no reason. He is a terrible little imp.
work out partna

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jun 15, 2010
shut up guest. maybe you just need to do your job or quit fool. biten the hand that feeds you. i work out with don at the parc. and no i dont work for him. but for a rich guy that he is he dont flaunt his money around. so get over it and quit fool....
fools

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 15, 2010
Guest doesn't work there. The DAR has provided jobs for many longtime employees. And you won't find them on topix.
Passer By

Malden, MO

#6 Jun 15, 2010
I worked there once. As for Don Schrieber---he was rarely there for me to know how evil it says he is here. I did march into his office after being fired for not showing up after having given my boss a doctors note the day before (my kids was ill and couldn't return to daycare the next day). I could have done without the experience.

Patton, MO

#7 Jun 16, 2010
work out partna wrote:
shut up guest. maybe you just need to do your job or quit fool. biten the hand that feeds you. i work out with don at the parc. and no i dont work for him. but for a rich guy that he is he dont flaunt his money around. so get over it and quit fool....
If you have never worked for him then you have no idea how big of an a$$ he is. Most of the rest of the people who work there are quality people, but Don is a d!ck.

No ifs, ands or buts about it.

I just wish the entire paper was 1/2 as good as their sports department is. We ARE lucky to have the guys who work there giving us news.

Overall, though, the paper is below average. It takes about 1 1/2 minutes to go through the entire thing.
countrygirl

New Bethlehem, PA

#8 Jun 16, 2010
have there ever been any wrecks or people run over or even road rage over the people selling newspapers in the middle of the road?
waj

Seattle, WA

#9 Jun 16, 2010
With Don, you get the same amount of respect you give him. He is a hard-working man who has done well for himself. He cares for his employees, and does all he can to give the employees the opportunity to state and grievances they may have. There are some department managers who aren't honest. If you have a grievance and your department manager isn't giving you a satisfactory answer, go to Don. Just be respectful of his time by scheduling an appointment. I used to work there, and I quit because my department manager wasn't being truthful about Don's responses to my complaints. After I quit, Don came to me and apologized for the misunderstanding. He thought my supervisor had taken care of the situation. Would I go back? Sure I would, just in another department.

Patton, MO

#10 Jun 16, 2010
countrygirl wrote:
have there ever been any wrecks or people run over or even road rage over the people selling newspapers in the middle of the road?
I'd like to know if there is a permit needed to sell papers in the streets. If not, anyone should be allowed to stand out there and sell anything without fear of getting a ticket for blocking traffic.
one-time employee

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jun 16, 2010
Offhand, I would say the DAR is nothing more than a joke, a fox-news wannabe newspaper, and Don Schreiber's bloated hobby. The paper focuses on sports and businesses and is highly Republican-biased. And each edition is guaranteed to have either typos or factual errors.

And from experience, I can't speak for other departments, but I've worked in the mailroom some years ago. The upside is that, as long as you show up for work and don't be an idiot around Don, you'll have steady job there. There are downsides however. For one, don't expect a raise. I worked a year at minimum wage before getting a lousy 15 cent raise. Secondly, Don is a cheapskate and does not provide safer working conditions for his employees. He'd rather cut corners. For instance, the freight elevator, I'm surprised no one has been killed by that thing. And I bet they're still using that dangerously-heavy steel plate down on the loading dock. My only reason for staying on was because I was well treated (like family) by co-workers.
hmmmmm

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Jun 16, 2010
Why is it that only DAR's mailroom posts on Topix?
Dose of Reality

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Jun 16, 2010
hmmmmm wrote:
Why is it that only DAR's mailroom posts on Topix?
Because the people upstairs are too busy trying not to use spellcheck.

Poplar Bluff, MO

#15 Aug 29, 2010
i think it is funny all the bitching people do about the dar yet they can't stop buying it! No matter what the dar does good or bad all some people want to do is bitch and complain about it. That's a sad way to live life.
too funny

Faridabad, India

#16 Aug 29, 2010
if you think working for don is bad try being in poliics. you have to kiss his little ass all the time with everyone else then call from the car to make fun of him.

vegetarian with 1% body fat etc etc... good lord!
Anonymous chick

Eminence, MO

#17 Sep 13, 2010
I have mixed feelings about the place. I'm a former employee, and I was only there for about a year, and I really loved my co-workers, and I don't really have anything bad to say about working at the place. Then again, I'm the kind of person who tries to get along with everyone.:)

I did lose a lot of respect for Mr. Schrieber when my hours were cut from full time to part time 6 months before having to undergo my teaching internship for college "due to the economy". A teaching internship requires you to quit your full time job for several months so you can take full control of your classroom. Although he very well could have outright let me go, he did not, and I appreciated at least that, but I couldn't afford to live on 20 hours a week for the next 6 months, so I had to find another job and lie about being in college to that other job so I could pay the bills. I lost respect for him because he could have let me work for those 6 months and waited for me to quit since he knew I was leaving anyway, and simply not hired someone to replace me instead of putting me through the "OMG HOW AM I GOING TO PAY THE BILLS?!" routine. The internship was going to be hard enough on just my husband's income!

I will say that I absolutely loved my coworkers from my department, and if I were offered to go back and work there, I probably would simply because my coworkers made my job fun and a place I actually WANTED to be.:)
anon

Faridabad, India

#18 Sep 13, 2010
I worked at the DAR for years. I wouldn't recommend it. The people were great, for the most part, but management doesn't care about the employees, and for me, that drains my enthusiasm for the job. Don Schrieber wouldn't have been able to pick me out of a lineup as one of his employees - forget knowing my name! And the pay was AWFUL. In my experience, a "good" raise was a quarter an hour per year, and I wasn't getting bad evals, so that must just be the standard.

I guess if it's all you can get, it's not bad, but for me, it definitely was never a place I intended to stay forever. That's why the turnover is so high with their employees.
former employee

Stephenville, TX

#19 May 27, 2011
I worked at the DAR for a long time. I have nothing but respect for Mr. Schrieber as well as everyone else who works there.
I started out in the mail room and worked my way up. My only reason for leaving was because I moved out of town. I am appalled at the horrible comments I ran across in this thread.
When people work hard, and show others respect, they receive the same in return. Perhaps those of you who have such negative comments should try looking at everyone as humans on an equal playing field. Mr. Schrieber has worked hard to get to where he is today. Have some respect for his perseverance.
I work there

Poplar Bluff, MO

#20 Jun 6, 2012
I work there.
lisa

United States

#21 Jun 7, 2012
work out partna wrote:
I love how brave everybody gets when hiding behind a screen name

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will PB dismiss for the eclipse 6 min Observer 4
Two DAYS of inaction and he blames both sides. 22 min SickOfUrChit 41
Donald Trump owns ALL media outlets!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 hr Smackdown2017 1
Ed Goodwin 6 hr Teresa 3
Alicia Evans 6 hr Robert 4
Punk 6 hr Punkin Head Petey 4
2008 (Dec '07) 7 hr Right said Fred 7
Harps 10 hr SickOfUrChit 37

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web