Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“The REAL Crazy Joe!”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 11, 2009
I have been to a few churches that were non-denominational or Pentecostal over the years and I couldn't help but notice that they would speak in tongues. I personally don't get it! It seems so damn fake to me. It would make good sence to me that if God were to give you a "gift" that everyone else would be able to understand what the fk you are saying! I know that there will be people that come on here and say that you have to be saved and sanctified (whatever the fk that is supposed to mean) to receive the "gift". I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I can't really find anywhere in the Bible that supports this activity. I personally think that is a load of dried up sh!t! What does everyone else think?

“Bringer of Light”

Since: Feb 08

Near Detroit, MI

#2 Jun 11, 2009
Although certainly there are some people who fake this phenomenon (Robert Tilton, for example) most of the people who do it sincerely are having an experience. Unfortunately, it is not a religious experience but an experience of group psychology and peer pressure. Linguistic analysis of the 'language' that these people blurt out shows that the components of the speech are actually comprised of patterns found in their native language - for example a spanish speaking person's magic jesus babble is inherently different from an english speaking person's magic jesus babble. That alone is evidence enough to dismiss speaking in tongues as something other than a divinely inspired transgression into ancient language. felicia goodman or something like that did a lot of research into this stuff, and not only does speaking in tongues reflect native language, but non-christian religious spectacles of speaking in tongues are indistinguishable from the christian ones. I'll try to find some sort of link to her research before the talibangelicals start crying about my lack of sources.

“I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR INPUT!!!”

Since: Jun 09

Albany,GA

#3 Jun 11, 2009
i don't believe in SPEAKING IN TONGUES. like you i believe if it was a gift from GOD then every one should be able to understand the person speaking like that. i think its an attention getter for that person.

its like they are saying "i can do and you can't"

“Bringer of Light”

Near Detroit, MI

#4 Jun 12, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia#Ling...

She is mentioned a couple times in this wiki entry in regards to linguistics and speaking in tongues. Wherever I read about her research previously is either gone or I am not using the correct google search terms.
jewboy

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 12, 2009
Speaking in Tongues, as defined by the King James Bible - Glossolalia (which is the techincal term), may range from unintelligible babbling to a possible higher language, opened to the Apostles in their ecstasy when, as it seemed, the Messianic age had come and they were the people of the New Convenant, with Jesus as the Anointed.

And if you want to read more on speaking in tongues, straight from the Bible, try First Corinthians Chapter 14.
jewboy

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 12, 2009
Also, try Ch.12 of First Corinthians...where Sprititual Gifts are mentioned. It might also clarify on some of your questions about tongues, speaking them, understanding them, and interpreting them.
Just me

Neelyville, MO

#7 Jun 12, 2009
I beleive in speaking in tougues. But to it is a gift to be used for example lets a mexican comes into a church and he really needs to hear the word of God. But the conercations all speak american and he cant understand a word. The spirt of the Lord would move on one of the people so that they can speak to the mexican in his laguage and he can understand what the preacher is saying. Now to me the babbling that people do in the church is not right. There needs to be an interpurter theire to translate what the person is saying. Now in the Bible when they spoke tongues they spoke so that the people could understand that is why they say look he is speaking our language. Thank you
Joe

Blue Springs, MO

#8 Jun 12, 2009
Just me wrote:
I beleive in speaking in tougues. But to it is a gift to be used for example lets a mexican comes into a church and he really needs to hear the word of God. But the conercations all speak american and he cant understand a word. The spirt of the Lord would move on one of the people so that they can speak to the mexican in his laguage and he can understand what the preacher is saying. Now to me the babbling that people do in the church is not right. There needs to be an interpurter theire to translate what the person is saying. Now in the Bible when they spoke tongues they spoke so that the people could understand that is why they say look he is speaking our language. Thank you
"Speak American"? You are an idiot.
hello

Florissant, MO

#10 Jun 14, 2009
The Bible does address speaking in tongues. Like Just Me said, it is sometimes for a person that can't understand the language otherwise spoken in that meeting. Sometimes a message goes out to the congregation in tongues, and someone interprets the message through the Holy Spirit's leading. Also, in your own prayer time, praying in tongues is used to edify yourself and guide you in prayer. You are praying "mysteries." I have prayed that way, and during those, God brought to my attention someone that I don't usually pray for. Later I found out that the person was going through something out of the ordinary for them and needed prayer.

“Bringer of Light”

Near Detroit, MI

#11 Jun 14, 2009
/facepalm
another who knows

Patton, MO

#12 Jun 15, 2009
One needs to distinguish pros from cons and in this scenario True from False! Mostly the real will acknowledge Jesus/God cast out demons and/or speaks in tongues through them and is not them. Ones who are not will claim they are casting demons and speaking.

There you go...
semo

Brookville, PA

#13 Jun 15, 2009
Some churchs believe in speaking in tongues and some don't, you are not any less of a christian if you do or don't. Speaking in tongues is totally up to you.
OMG

Patton, MO

#14 Jun 15, 2009
Yes.. The girls at the callof the wild and Ryans resteraunt waitreses and managers all do the tounge thing.
yo Slutt

Patton, MO

#16 Jun 15, 2009
Are they lesbians? OMG and people eat there?
You Know What

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Jun 15, 2009
if you dont speak in tongues you wont go to heaven says the bible

“Think before you post”

Since: Apr 09

Doniphan

#18 Jun 15, 2009
You Know What wrote:
I don't believe this at all. If this is true it must be taken out of context, people have a good way of doing that. I can't say speaking in tounges isn't a real experience, I can just say I have been to many many churches, and I have only seen a few people have this "experience."
semo

Greenbrier, AR

#19 Jun 15, 2009
You Know What wrote:
No it doesn't.
honestly

United States

#20 Jun 15, 2009
Joe,
Use manners and quit using the f word and write good things instead of running your mouth.
cake

Florissant, MO

#21 Jun 15, 2009
what is really wrong with some of u people.the bible talks about speaking in tounges.it is a gift from god and it mainly happens when u fill the sprit move threw u not everyone does it and when they do its between u and god .mainly happens in pentlecostal church but not always .so if u all like to read books .start with the best book ever wrote and make sure u know all the facts before u get on here and doubt it.remember one thing people all other books r wrote by one or two people that try to find something wrong,and we all know who had the biggest part in writting the bible .
hallalujah

Faridabad, India

#22 Jun 15, 2009
speaking in tounges is real but its NOT real for people who say "Gods Fake" and people who dissagree with the bible its a gift and ANYONE can get that gift but they need to be filled with the spirit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family embarrassment 51 min Shelly Wilks 84
Hannah could you? 59 min Shelly Wilks 47
Confused 1 hr guest 11
Who's been driving over the graves at Memorial ... 2 hr Shelly Wilks 3
How do you move on? 3 hr Dazedconfused 9
[email protected]! Females 5 hr Ladylue 5
Steve Scott 5 hr Cali 58

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance