Since: May 08

Poplar Bluff

#1 Jun 24, 2008
Some great info and pics of P.B.

http://www.pbjhs.com/pbhistory/hist1.html
littlesis

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Jun 24, 2008
That is a really neat site. My friends live in the old Metz home. I had no idea that it used to be a hotel. I got married there a few years ago.
twenty20

Iowa, LA

#4 Jun 24, 2008
WOW!

This is great!

I left PB 30 years ago. This really brings back memories
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 24, 2008
littlesis wrote:
That is a really neat site. My friends live in the old Metz home. I had no idea that it used to be a hotel. I got married there a few years ago.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it was ever a hotel---The original residents of the house were owners of the Dunn Hotel and it was downtown on Main St. The hotel was torn down in the late 70's. The Metz children are still living in the area & an article was written in the DAR several years ago showcasing their childhood memories in the home. Dr. B.M. McLain once lived there with his family, he was killed in a car accident. His widow moved away, later came back and opened a business that catered receptions/showers etc. I remember she gave it a french name---something to do with beehives. She left again & the house remained empty except for a caretaker until the last 10-12 years or so, possible these are friends you are referring to. It's a grand old place that I've always admired.
littlesis

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Jun 25, 2008
My friends aren't the caretakers they own the home and have a business in the front right corner. They buy and sell classic auto glass. I may have misread about the hotel. On the website that is how I read it. There is also a huge guest house with it that used to be an old apple barn and also there is a caretaker cottage. The house is still beautiful.
littlesis

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Jun 25, 2008
On the website it shows the Dunn Hotel and then shows a picture of the home and it is referred to as the Dunnwood Inn.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jun 26, 2008
littlesis wrote:
My friends aren't the caretakers they own the home and have a business in the front right corner. They buy and sell classic auto glass. I may have misread about the hotel. On the website that is how I read it. There is also a huge guest house with it that used to be an old apple barn and also there is a caretaker cottage. The house is still beautiful.
You misunderstood me. I know the house sold several years ago & I suspensioned they were your friends.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jun 26, 2008
Sorry, after re-reading my previous post, I did leave the impression that house was now occupied by the caregivers. I knew different. I'm jealous of them---I would love to have that house. In reference the the website---where is it, I would like to look at it.
Dunn

Everett, WA

#11 Jul 22, 2008
Our family (the Dunns) owned the place for many years. I've never actually been to see it (we live on the west coast now), but my brother went by several years ago -- probably during that stretch when it was empty, as he described it as looking semi-abandoned. Really glad to hear that it's occupied & looking good!

Does anyone have any current pictures? My dad has a lot of great memories of the place from when he was a kid -- he'd love to hear about this.
Better answer

AOL

#12 Jul 22, 2008
Are you by chance either Kenny or Terry Dunn?
Pinkii Out West

United States

#13 Jul 23, 2008
Amazing, my family moved to PB in the 1870's, my mom re-tells the tornado that went through the town, she is 87....
Unistuff2

Van Nuys, CA

#14 Jul 23, 2008
I too have heard many stories of the 1927 tornado. My great aunt was one of the many seriously injured students at J. Minnie Smith School. She has passed away, but several years ago the local paper asked for stories from survivors. I was luck enough to be asked to type her story to submit. It was quite interesting.
Local

Faridabad, India

#15 Jul 24, 2008
What an interesting site!!!!
Long Time Resident

Faridabad, India

#16 Jul 24, 2008
This really brought back alot of memories. What a wonderful site to share with others.
Dunn

Everett, WA

#17 Jul 26, 2008
Re: Are you by chance either Kenny or Terry Dunn?

Afraid not. The hotel manager at the time was Ernie Dunn.
ryleighdanielle

Russellville, AR

#18 Aug 7, 2008
My MoM Worked At The Dunn Hotel Coffee Shop For Years,She Thought A Lot Of The Dunn Family.She Passed Away In 1986 Her Name Was Lorene,She Worked As A Waitress,With Madge,And Saddie,Oh What A Great Memory!!!!THANKS
thanks4 the memories

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Aug 11, 2009
Just loved looking at the old photos thats a great site for sure..
thanks4 the memories

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Aug 11, 2009
I don't think the Dunn hotel has been there for quite a few years, Poplar Bluff decided to tear all the historic building down like the old court house for a parking lot that I don't think hardly gets used, progress, what ya gonna do????
DONNY

Poplar Bluff, MO

#21 Aug 11, 2009
thanks4 the memories wrote:
I don't think the Dunn hotel has been there for quite a few years, Poplar Bluff decided to tear all the historic building down like the old court house for a parking lot that I don't think hardly gets used, progress, what ya gonna do????
THATS NOT THE ORIGINAL COURTHOUSE
Zack

Nixa, MO

#22 Jan 14, 2013
Yes my grandpa Owns the house he has owned the house now for 14 years i do the yard work for him the house has been completely remodeled on the inside and he working on the outside and i used to live in the guest house that's a house that never gets talked about that was the house for the maids when the mansion was a hotel my grandpa still has the door tags with the room numbers on them and he told me when he passes away the house go's to the city of Poplar Bluff to be turned into a history museum the house has been there since 1927 and it wasn't just a hotel were everyone could go it was for the big dogs like govener's and senets stayed in the house is protected by a government lease that when my grandpa passes they can not tear it down it is a historical monument and it is a beautiful home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jennifer davis (Mar '16) 28 min bigddaddy from ci... 174
To my best friend 1 hr overit 19
Ricky Reece (May '16) 1 hr family 11
wal-Mart to start closing at midnight. 3 hr lamiar 5
Cleaning the Whitehouse. 3 hr Guest 29
Go away 4 hr MI2S 1
Westwood Blvd U.S. Flag 7 hr Looks bad 2

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance