Grants for parents with disabled children.

Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 87 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
help

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Feb 13, 2009
I am a single mother of three, two of my children have disabilities. I have searched many ways to find grants so I may finish school; does anyone have any helpful information on grants?
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#2 Feb 13, 2009
I am also a single mother of 4 and I have a disabled child. I would LOVE to know if there is help to be had.

I know there will probably be some bashing on here for you and I asking for help. Go ahead, I don't really care. I'm just trying to get back on my feet after their father walked out on me and I lost everything. I was a stay at home mom for years and would like to return to school to finish my teaching degree.

Any help anyone can offer information on would be greatly appreciated.
good for you

Poplar Bluff, MO

#3 Feb 13, 2009
Well there shouldn't be any bashing on here because you ladies are trying to better yourselves and the lives of your children. But it's kind of like damned if you do, damned if you don't. People gripe that you're single mothers on welfare and their tax dollars are supporting you, but then they gripe when you need help to crawl out of that hole, too. Who cares? Be proud of yourselves for knowing you need to get out of the current situation and also knowing that your just gonna have to have help to get there.

I don't know if these sites will help anything but they are the first ones I found. The second one looks especially helpful and has more links at the bottom of it.

Good luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2077500_get-grants-si...

http://www.singlemotherresources.com/grants_s...

Since: Feb 09

United States

#4 Feb 14, 2009
You girls go. I am proud to see my tax dollars go to someone who is trying to help themselves and just needs a hand.I know alot of other people who are too. Most people do not have a problem with people on welfare who really need the help,(and it sounds like you guys do) what we have a problem with is the people out there who lie to get help they don't need, pretend they are separated from their husbands in order to get things they are not entitled to while our truly needy, the elderly, and disabled go without because there is not enough to go around after the cheats get their part. God bless you girls, it's not easy to do it on your own but hang in there, it does get better.
PB LPN

Greenbrier, AR

#5 Feb 14, 2009
Have you talked to the Social Security office? I know there is financial help out there for parents of children with disabilities. Call them. The worst they can tell you is no.
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#6 Feb 14, 2009
good for you wrote:
Well there shouldn't be any bashing on here because you ladies are trying to better yourselves and the lives of your children. But it's kind of like damned if you do, damned if you don't. People gripe that you're single mothers on welfare and their tax dollars are supporting you, but then they gripe when you need help to crawl out of that hole, too. Who cares? Be proud of yourselves for knowing you need to get out of the current situation and also knowing that your just gonna have to have help to get there.
I don't know if these sites will help anything but they are the first ones I found. The second one looks especially helpful and has more links at the bottom of it.
Good luck!
http://www.ehow.com/how_2077500_get-grants-si...
http://www.singlemotherresources.com/grants_s...
Believe it or not, not all single mothers are on welfare. The only help I get is Medicaid on my disabled child because her needs are SO expensive. I support ALL 4 of mine alone. But I'm tired of having to live paycheck to paycheck. I want to go back to school to finish my degree but I need help with several things. I'm not trying to be hateful towards you at all, so I hope you don't think that. I greatly appreciate your research & the links. I wasn't sure WHERE to start! Thanks again!!
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#7 Feb 14, 2009
juniebjones wrote:
You girls go. I am proud to see my tax dollars go to someone who is trying to help themselves and just needs a hand.I know alot of other people who are too. Most people do not have a problem with people on welfare who really need the help,(and it sounds like you guys do) what we have a problem with is the people out there who lie to get help they don't need, pretend they are separated from their husbands in order to get things they are not entitled to while our truly needy, the elderly, and disabled go without because there is not enough to go around after the cheats get their part. God bless you girls, it's not easy to do it on your own but hang in there, it does get better.
Thank you. It's nice to finally find someone who doesn't look down on single mothers. I guess people automatically assume that we are whores who spread our legs for anyone and everyone. Not true at ALL in my case. I was married for 20 years and had 4 kids. My ex-husband demanded that I stay at home with the kids while he worked. We married when I was 16. After 20 years of marriage, he decided he was done being a husband and father and walked out on my for a 19 year old. He took EVERYTHING; I have nothing. Tried going back to court and they are no help. The only thing he does is keep insurance on the kids and it's not even good insurance at that; his company pays for it 100%. But I know my circumstances and so do the kids. And that's all that matters to me. Thanks again for looking at us like REAL people.

Since: Feb 09

United States

#8 Feb 14, 2009
Need to know, you hold your head up, keep the faith, know that you are the one taking on all the responsibility for your kids (let him have the young slut and laugh when she dumps him for someone else which she will)Your kids will be better off not having him around. you are showing them we are as strong as we make ourselves. no one can beat us but us. anyone can have a baby/kid but it takes a caring concerned adult to be a parent.God bless you.
Sharon Green

Canton, OH

#9 Feb 16, 2009
help wrote:
I am a single mother of three, two of my children have disabilities. I have searched many ways to find grants so I may finish school; does anyone have any helpful information on grants?
Hey Gals- Just for thought; I was in your perdicament a while back and for alittle input through the Americorps I recieved an education award of $900.00 for 8 months of part-time volunteer work. They can always use your help and they compensate. Also, talk to your local University and find out about a Regions Degree it's a life credit degree, and beleive me gals like us have lived many lives in a short period of time.While your there ask about schoolarships "in house" their are many, but most students don't know or can't handle anymore work, but yet again we understand the term "SUPERMOM".I hope I've given you some things you haven't heard of and tried or failed, also if your looking into teaching by chance there is a teaching grant out there look around the Dept.of Education. It's a great program... reeps many benefits...God Bless..
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#10 Feb 16, 2009
Sharon Green wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Gals- Just for thought; I was in your perdicament a while back and for alittle input through the Americorps I recieved an education award of $900.00 for 8 months of part-time volunteer work. They can always use your help and they compensate. Also, talk to your local University and find out about a Regions Degree it's a life credit degree, and beleive me gals like us have lived many lives in a short period of time.While your there ask about schoolarships "in house" their are many, but most students don't know or can't handle anymore work, but yet again we understand the term "SUPERMOM".I hope I've given you some things you haven't heard of and tried or failed, also if your looking into teaching by chance there is a teaching grant out there look around the Dept.of Education. It's a great program... reeps many benefits...God Bless..
Thanks for all the info!! I am looking into teaching! I already have an Associates degree and it will count towards my Bachelors. I have probably 3 semesters to get my Bachelors degree. The only problem is being able to do it since we have no University here. TRCC is trying to offer several teaching programs where you can get your Bachelors through Southeast Missouri State. But they don't have the program I want: High school. I would have to drive to Cape every day to go to school. I don't have a reliable car, I have a disabled child & I am a single mother. No pity party here; I'm just trying to figure out how to fit all the pieces together. Thanks again for all of your information!!! God Bless YOU!!

“Nothing nice to say? SHUT IT.”

Since: Jul 08

Poplar Bluff

#11 Feb 17, 2009
I am a single mom too and I got a Pell Grant and Student Loans. I found a college online that is a real school real campus in New Hampshire. LOW credit hour fee and no app fee and very generous to help get you in. I am getting a 4 year degree and you don't have to pay the student loans back until 6 months after you get your degree. Good luck to both of you!

“Nothing nice to say? SHUT IT.”

Since: Jul 08

Poplar Bluff

#12 Feb 17, 2009
I have to do it online because in the process of adopting my child I do not want to do ANYTHING to screw the adoption up! And I don't want to leave my little boy for a minute!
Guest

Poplar Bluff, MO

#13 Feb 18, 2009
I would contact the South Central Missouri Community Action Agency here in Poplar Bluff. I think they can help people in getting an education, finding a job, etc. You can find their number and address in the phonebook. Also, you should contact Dee at the Butler County Health Department, she might be able to help with your children with disabilities. Good luck!!!

Since: Feb 09

Ellington, MO

#14 Feb 18, 2009
i know the gov. does have grants to help if youcan find a copy of the Matthew Lesko that is always on tv talking about free money. they have a book that tells you how to get the grants and how to get help I was a single mother of two children and worked. I am married an also my child is disabled. I know that God will be there with you just keep praying that he will open doors for you and your family.

“Nothing nice to say? SHUT IT.”

Since: Jul 08

Poplar Bluff

#15 Feb 18, 2009
You can find that Matthew Lesko book at the Poplar Bluff library; however you cannot check it out and take it home. You have to read it there, but you can have them to make copies of pages for you.
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#16 Feb 18, 2009
Thanks to EVERYONE for all the info. And for not looking down on us because of our situation. I am trying to make the best life for myself and my children. It is hard, BUT I WILL MAKE IT!! It just angers me that I get no help whatsoever from their jackass father when they are his responsibility as well. But I am showing all of my kids that it can and will be done! And they are SO proud of their mother. And want NOTHING to do with their so called "father". Not my choice, it is theirs. I constantly tell them how much he loves them and wants to see them. Their reaction is: If that is true, why is he constantly blowing us off for his slut and refuses to pay child support to help out? Right now, he is supposed to be paying $1700 a month in support and alimony and I have yet to see a payment. The sad thing about it is that he holds a VERY prominent job in this area, but nothing will be done until he gets over 6-8 months behind on his support. That's ok, I support my kids alone. The only help I get is Medicaid on my youngest since she is Type I diabetic an severly sick and disabled. If he can live with himself, so can me. It sickens me that he is allowed to keep my vehicle and his as well. How fair is that? I had a brand new Suburban and he stole it from my son one day when I let my son drive it to school the day after he recieved his license. What a man. Plus, he has his brand new truck. And this is fine with the Butler County judge who heard our case. Even though we had a GAL that testified to several physical and emotional abuse. How's that for justice? My attorney is furious and beside himself. He is filing for a retrial in another county. When he gets it, I really almost feel sorry for my ex. He has no idea what is coming for him. And he deserves every bit of it. So we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for all the information and support. It makes me feel like a real person again! God Bless you all!

“Nothing nice to say? SHUT IT.”

Since: Jul 08

Poplar Bluff

#17 Feb 19, 2009
Go TAKE your vehicle back. If he can "steal" it and get away with it, so can you; especially if the title is in your name, too. Besides, who takes a vehicle away from a child who had to drive it to get to school?

“Nothing nice to say? SHUT IT.”

Since: Jul 08

Poplar Bluff

#18 Feb 19, 2009
Need to Know, keep us informed. Praying that everything will turn out in your favor!
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#19 Feb 19, 2009
mcoram wrote:
Go TAKE your vehicle back. If he can "steal" it and get away with it, so can you; especially if the title is in your name, too. Besides, who takes a vehicle away from a child who had to drive it to get to school?
I already tried that. Unfortunately when we bought it, it was financed in his dad's name. Cause my ex can't do anything without his daddy. I actually filed a suit against the two of them but that turned out like crap. He refused to release the title to our daughter's car until I signed off all interest in my Suburban. He was trying to take both our older children's cars as well. I'm sure if YOU think about it, you know what family I am talking about. I think you have known them for a LONG time. At least I think you still live close to them.
Need to know

Bell City, MO

#20 Feb 19, 2009
The sorry thing about him trying to take our kids cars is that THEY paid EVERY penny on those cars; he didn't help AT ALL!! And he wanted their cars as well as his AND mine. It's ok, it will all turn out in the end.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
samantha osborn. aka sambo 28 min stupid people 57
Task force arrests nearly 2 dozen in Poplar Bluff 30 min indago 39
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 41 min RayOne 1,834
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 42 min REAL AMERICAN PAT... 97,075
whobgives the best blojob in bluff 3 hr Red Wine 22
county mart 4 hr Jake 5
horny girls looking to play 7 hr hater 11
•••
•••
•••

Poplar Bluff Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Poplar Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Poplar Bluff News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Poplar Bluff
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••