Missouri Child Support question

United States

#102 Feb 9, 2009
Nikki FOWLER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is that so wrong? Nine times out of ten, when a child enrolls in their freshman year of college, they live at home with their parents. Which means they are still getting supported by them. The non-custodial parent is also allowed to still claim certain tax breaks on this child. So doesn't that even out in the end? My decree states that my ex will pay for our children until the age of 22 as long as they are living at home and actively pursuing an education. IF they leave home, get married or join the military, he is not obligated to pay support on that child anymore. So what is so wrong with that?
Man, your ex has to pay until your kids are 22??? He got hosed! The State of MO stops childsupport at age 21. Your poor ex!!!
Lurker

Houston, TX

#103 Feb 9, 2009
Nikki FOWLER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is that so wrong? Nine times out of ten, when a child enrolls in their freshman year of college, they live at home with their parents. Which means they are still getting supported by them. The non-custodial parent is also allowed to still claim certain tax breaks on this child. So doesn't that even out in the end? My decree states that my ex will pay for our children until the age of 22 as long as they are living at home and actively pursuing an education. IF they leave home, get married or join the military, he is not obligated to pay support on that child anymore. So what is so wrong with that?
The difference is the state's not making you to support your children after 18. That's a big difference. My mother don't support me. I got a job and went to school. Tax breaks doesn't cover the 1200 the hubby pays a month.

United States

#104 Feb 9, 2009
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is the state's not making you to support your children after 18. That's a big difference. My mother don't support me. I got a job and went to school. Tax breaks doesn't cover the 1200 the hubby pays a month.
I am strong believer that child support should terminate at age 18 unless there are special circumstances involved. If the young adult decides to attend school, then both parents should support that decision and help financially if it is possible; however, most parents struggle to keep themselves afloat! I entered the military after highschool and got my education paid for. I also worked part-time while attending school full time. I think the Statute of "21" if you attend school is just another cop out for the mothers who don't want to work and are unfortunately used to getting a free check from the good ole ex!!!
whatever

Jefferson City, MO

#105 Feb 9, 2009
Alison wrote:
My ex husband is without a job due to the economy and is 2 months behind on child support. My question is can I have the State of MO or the Child support division garnish his wifes wages for his child support order?
Why would she pay his child support when its not her kid and i am sure she isnt gonna give you a dime GET A JOB you wouldnt need his money for your habits!!!

“I LOVE MY KIDS & MY LIFE!! ”

Since: Jan 09

Frankfort, Kentucky but in KC

#106 Feb 9, 2009
Nah man wrote:
<quoted text>
What is wrong is that this is something that parents who stay married are not required to do. Considering the state of the economy and the job loss that was mentioned in the first post, if this were a married family, would they be paying for college when they could not pay the rent? NO!! College is not a right, it is a privelege and needs to be addressed as such.
I'm not talking about my ex paying for the kids' college. I'm talking about him paying the same support that he has been paying. NOT their college tuition.

#107 Feb 9, 2009
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I am strong believer that child support should terminate at age 18 unless there are special circumstances involved. If the young adult decides to attend school, then both parents should support that decision and help financially if it is possible; however, most parents struggle to keep themselves afloat! I entered the military after highschool and got my education paid for. I also worked part-time while attending school full time. I think the Statute of "21" if you attend school is just another cop out for the mothers who don't want to work and are unfortunately used to getting a free check from the good ole ex!!!
And what exactly makes you think I DON'T have a job? And I'm sorry, there is nothing "free" about the child support I get from my ex. I support our children just as much as he does, thank you. AND, if you will read my post a little more closely, I was talking about CHILD SUPPORT, not college tuition. If a child goes to college and still lives at home while attending school aren't the parents, married or not, STILL supporting that child?

I also worked while I was attending college. Except I worked full time and carried 15 hours a semester. I expect my children to have a part time job as soon as they turn 16. But a part time job doesn't completely support ANYONE!!

#108 Feb 9, 2009
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get the idea that I get THAT MUCH child support every month?

You're right, the state doesn't FORCE you to support your children after age 18. But if they still live at home, whether the parents are married or not, the parents ARE still supporting them basically. I would rather my children live at home and get a part time job so they can concentrate on their education. And I support my children JUST AS MUCH as their father does.

#109 Feb 9, 2009
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, your ex has to pay until your kids are 22??? He got hosed! The State of MO stops childsupport at age 21. Your poor ex!!!
MY "POOR EX"? You really should know what you are talking about before you say things like that. And no one forced him into paying support until the kids are 22. It was a mutual agreement between the 2 of us.
Lurker

Houston, TX

#110 Feb 9, 2009
Nikki FOWLER wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get the idea that I get THAT MUCH child support every month?
You're right, the state doesn't FORCE you to support your children after age 18. But if they still live at home, whether the parents are married or not, the parents ARE still supporting them basically. I would rather my children live at home and get a part time job so they can concentrate on their education. And I support my children JUST AS MUCH as their father does.
I'm sorry that was supposed to be "MY hubby" not the hubby. The point is no one going to force you to support your children after they turn 18. You have the choice to say I'll rather have them at home and support them.
Lurker

Houston, TX

#111 Feb 9, 2009
Nikki FOWLER wrote:
<quoted text>
MY "POOR EX"? You really should know what you are talking about before you say things like that. And no one forced him into paying support until the kids are 22. It was a mutual agreement between the 2 of us.
My hubby wasn't given a choice.
mom

Saint Charles, MO

#112 Feb 10, 2009
The new wife is not responsible for his child support. You need to realize that by making life hard for others, it may return to you. You said your ex paid until he lost his job. Put yourself in his shoes.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#113 Feb 10, 2009
Lurker wrote:
I won't mind helping my step-children, but I get reminded by their mother all time that they aren't mine.
That is sweet of u. them step kids will look up to u more than their own father. Kepp up with the good work from ur heart.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#114 Feb 10, 2009
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true; however, the custodial parent and/or the child has to show proof to the noncustodial parent that he/she is actually attending school and the child has to maintain at least a C average for child support to continue. And, once they complete highschool, the child has to be enrolled by October of that year to qualify for continuing childsupport.
They also have to provide transcripts and copies of grades within 30 days of being asked for them or else child support can STOP and never be restarted again. If the custodial parent gives implied consent then a child is considered emancipated and child support can stop.

Location hidden

#115 Feb 10, 2009
Nikki FOWLER wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the child who doesn't live at home (either parents home) Most non custodial parents DO NOT get to take a tax break, only the custodial parent can. And your still forgetting about the part where it is MANDATORY for divorced parents to provide an education (whether or not they can afford it) whereas parents who are married don't have to pay if they are unable to afford it.

Location hidden

#116 Feb 10, 2009
Nah man wrote:
<quoted text>
What is wrong is that this is something that parents who stay married are not required to do. Considering the state of the economy and the job loss that was mentioned in the first post, if this were a married family, would they be paying for college when they could not pay the rent? NO!! College is not a right, it is a privelege and needs to be addressed as such.
Exactly. Discrimination against divorced people. What happened to paying your own way through college?

Location hidden

#117 Feb 10, 2009
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I think alot of people would agree with this statement. Paying for an extended education for your child should be because you can and want to, not because you are made to do it. If you can vote, drink, enter the military, get married and have babies at 18, you can support yourself also. Congrats on your being a responsible adult! I'm sure your parents appreciate you.
mother of three

Dubuque, IA

#118 Aug 7, 2011
I HAVE JUST A QUICK THING TO ASK.... MY EX OWES ALOT OF BACK CHILD SUPPORT... I CALLED CHILD SUPPORT INFORCMENT AND THEY TOLD ME THAT HE WAS CERIFIED FOR TAX OFFSET.. OK SO WHEN WILL I GET THAT MONEY HERE IT IS AUG.. AND I STILL HAVE NOT GOT ANYTHING I WAS JUST WONDERING AND WHEN I CALL CHLD SUPPORT ALL THEY TELL ME IS THAT THEY CAN'T GIVE ME ANY OF THAT INFO... WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIND OUT IF THEY DID TAKE ANY MONEY???
sure nuf

Poplar Bluff, MO

#119 Aug 7, 2011
Maybe she didn't mean to say that she wants to make his life hard. Maybe she left out the don't. It's happened before. There could be other reasons for her to want to make his life hard too. What right do you have to jump onto her?
tried

United States

#120 Aug 8, 2011
Wish people would get a clue if you are a parent be a parent do whatever it takes. STOP USING YOUR KIDS AS WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!! The only one you are destroying are the kids. The very kids you should be throwing your body on to protect.
LOL

Laredo, TX

#121 Aug 8, 2011
mother of three wrote:
I HAVE JUST A QUICK THING TO ASK.... MY EX OWES ALOT OF BACK CHILD SUPPORT... I CALLED CHILD SUPPORT INFORCMENT AND THEY TOLD ME THAT HE WAS CERIFIED FOR TAX OFFSET.. OK SO WHEN WILL I GET THAT MONEY HERE IT IS AUG.. AND I STILL HAVE NOT GOT ANYTHING I WAS JUST WONDERING AND WHEN I CALL CHLD SUPPORT ALL THEY TELL ME IS THAT THEY CAN'T GIVE ME ANY OF THAT INFO... WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIND OUT IF THEY DID TAKE ANY MONEY???
Just because he is in line for tax offset by childsupport enforcement doesn't mean you automatically get his tax return. First, he may not have received any thing back from his taxes, he may have had to pay in. Second, if he is remarried, his wife is still entitled to her portion of the return and may have filed an injured spouse claim. Third, your ex may owe the government money for something, and the government will take their lions share before it goes anywhere else. And you are correct, child support will not tell you anything because it is against the law for them to disclose information about the non-custodial parent. All they can do is collect the childsupport but they cannot give out information to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sandy Cab 41 min Cabbie Cadabbie 11
Hailey parker (Feb '17) 2 hr Hailey Parker 140
Biggest meth dealer 2 hr Hailey Parker 13
Just KICKED the PHHUCKINGGG SSHHIITT out of RAM... 2 hr Hailey Parker 4
Rushin' to the Pony 2 hr Nick Pritle 2
Mudsharks (Feb '17) 5 hr Les 122
Trump is protecting Russia again 10 hr Smackdown2017 11

Poplar Bluff Jobs

Personal Finance

Poplar Bluff Mortgages