The Mansion B4 Mansion Mall
What

Faridabad, India

#113 Jul 1, 2008
Class of 66 wrote:
<quoted text>
The old skating rink was past Loma Linda, and just past the 60/67 interchange about where the storage buildings are located.
It had a wood floor!
Mullet

Faridabad, India

#114 Jul 1, 2008
Mullet wrote:
however, i do agree that we need to tear get over the past and quit living like a bunch of forever-lost-in-high-school idiot factory workers
man you gotta love topix when anyone can post as you lmao

i remember when the internet was fast at 28 800!!
in awe

Penrose, CO

#115 Jul 7, 2008
thanks so much for sharing the photos! They are incredible.
JustTo Let You Know

Faridabad, India

#116 Jul 7, 2008
Unistuff2 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a little younger that you are---50 something & barely remember this tidbit. Here's one for you--do you remember the name of the clothing store that had the circular turn style front door? It would have been on the east side of south main across the street from old city light & water? I remember when it burned---a fireman lost his life in the fire. How about the opposite end of the south main---Fernaman's Shoes. I remember in particular a pair of black patent shoes my mother bought for me there. Graber's (basement of bldg parking lot) They had a loft & basement! Ruth's exclusive ladies wear?---my aunt was a sales clerk there & I remember one room was designated at the bridal salon, one cosmetics, and another dresses. Very upscale in the 50's for Poplar Bluff. My sister-in-law is 15 yrs. my senior & purchase her freshman college wardrobe & later her wedding gown @ Ruth's.
The name of that store was Garfinkles, But when that building burnt in 1974, a fireman did get hurt real bad, he lost a leg, but not killed.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#117 Jul 7, 2008
You are right--Garfinkle's. Thanks for jogging my memory and details on the fire.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#118 Jul 7, 2008
Toellner Bakery was one of my favorite childhood places. I was facinated with the tiered wedding cakes in the window. Remember the black & white mosaic tile floor, why I don't know!! My birthday wasn't complete without a cake from that bakery---best creme horns around!
tellthetruth

Poplar Bluff, MO

#119 Jul 10, 2008
Unistuff2

#1 on the creme horns......can close my eyes and taste it

On the Garfinkles burning that was a sad story.
The truth was the Triangle Club (bar) behind it was the target.Arson. The Fireman was a Mr. Fields...a tragedy for all except the one that collected the Big Insurance check because there bar burned down. Even sadder they knew who did it and he was a snich for the cops and he still walks around. Slower because he is alot older. But at least he has 2 legs. One more than he let Mr.Fields have may he rest in peace.

“Ladies don't spit”

Since: May 08

Poplar Bluff

#120 Jul 10, 2008
Unistuff2 wrote:
Toellner Bakery was one of my favorite childhood places. I was facinated with the tiered wedding cakes in the window. Remember the black & white mosaic tile floor, why I don't know!! My birthday wasn't complete without a cake from that bakery---best creme horns around!
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/poplar-bluff-...
dazed and confused

Cape Girardeau, MO

#121 Jul 10, 2008
partying at roxy and wilcox, watching my buddy billy tripping on acid and partying at this old farmhouse a friend of mine had down around qulin. Used to make some mean ass jungle juice.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#123 Jul 10, 2008
Terry Reeves wrote:
This is neat
Black and White
(Under age 40? You won't understand.)
You could hardly see for all the snow,
Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
Pull a chair up to the TV set,
'Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet.'
My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.
My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice-pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.
Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.
The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.
We all took gym, not PE .. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.
Flunking gym was not an option . even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.
Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.
We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.
I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.
I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.
Oh yeah ... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!
We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.
Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.
I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.
To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?
We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?
Thanks for taking the time to post this---it's great!

Since: Jul 08

Indianapolis, IN

#125 Jul 11, 2008
I remember the Under 21 Club and the old J.C Penney's store in that strip mall that had pay toilets. circa 1973.
Grandma

United States

#126 Jul 11, 2008
Oh yes, it cost 10 cents to use the bathroom at NEWBERRY'S.....
Curious

United States

#127 Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone know the history of the old mansion on 67 south across from the country club? I think it is very beautiful.
yes

West Monroe, LA

#128 Jul 11, 2008
Bird wrote:
Chicken D's had the good fried chicken. Anybody remember Pickett's Store off of 53 highway? U-Totum package store, Redbird's, Al-Edco?
I remember well Al Edcos Copper Kettle and especially U-Totem (bought our first underage beer, Boone's Farm, and JD there). Don't remember Redbird's.
yes

West Monroe, LA

#129 Jul 11, 2008
Dog Lover wrote:
Mrs. Jeffries is alive and sorta well. She has lost her hearing. The Mansion at Wal-Mart is the same mansion at Mansion Mall. Barnes Wholesale was located in the building Hood's currently occupies. I believe the Brownings still own the Jeffries home on W.
The restaurant that was built on the site housed PB's first chinese restaurant before its demise.
Actually, the first Chinese restaurant that I can recall was a small place in the strip center just north of the old Walmart, kind of where the laundromat and the coffee shed are now. It was ran by a guy from Springfield named Nieman; I cannot recall the name. It was right next door to a cool record and tape place which I think was called "King of Tapes." Also, does anyone remember the "Salt of the Earth?".
Stacey

Saint Louis, MO

#130 Jul 11, 2008
My greatgrandma and I used to go to Newberry's together, we'd either ride a bus or the cab, and I thought that area where the snack bar was was HUGE!! and when I was a kid (shhh I'm about to tell you something totally crazy) I used to crawl under so I wouldn't have to pay to use the bathroom. Totally crazy I know.

Remember Kelly's Frozen Yogurt. yummm. I also remember when the Bottle shop was about where KFC is now.

Wasn't that building that Raben Tire is in a gift shop at one time.

When the fair grounds were out where the Airport is now.
OldOne

Faridabad, India

#131 Jul 11, 2008
The Mansion House restaurant was probably the fanciest restaurant PB has ever had. I remember my parents taking me there as a kid. All the waiters we male and wore formal waitstaff uniforms. They put a cloth napkin in your lap for you. You used china and had all of the different glasses, forks, etc. I just remember being in awe since I had never been to a place like it before. They also had a fireplace you could go stand by that was kind of neat. And the food was really good--especially the bread.
Anonymous

Knob Noster, MO

#132 Jul 11, 2008
The mansion was at one time owned by the Shain family from Fisk who had a restaurant in it. It was torn down in the early 1980's.
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#134 Jul 11, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
The mansion was at one time owned by the Shain family from Fisk who had a restaurant in it. It was torn down in the early 1980's.
David Shain invested in several business in PB, but I don't remember him ever owning the Mansion. However, he did own a ladies apparel store in the Mansion Mall---named Carolyn's. Later purchased by Marsha Vowels and she renamed it the Body Shop
Unistuff2

Saint Louis, MO

#135 Jul 11, 2008
littlebit wrote:
There was a hotel in PB, forget what it was called but a woman by the last name of Burns ran it.
She had a couple of sons One named Earl and another named Gene.My aunt always called her Old
Lady Burns,,,,
Does anyone remember this place?
Was the hotel downtown? Possible the Dunn Hotel on Main St.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's talk about Kevin Lee Young instead 28 min Kevin Clark Smothers 23
Mark Twain Caring Center - Negligence 1 hr Pissed 217
Mo checkpoint funding cut to $1 6 hr Smackdown 38
department of mental health on PP HWY (Feb '13) 6 hr Derick 203
The reason people hate cops (Nov '08) 7 hr Smackdown 11
Embezzling Union Funds. 8 hr Guest 26
Tyler Russom 9 hr Ready 11

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance