Seatbelts on School Buses

Seatbelts on School Buses

Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

Questiom

Brainerd, MN

#1 Oct 3, 2012
What do you think? Should school buses have them since its a law for child restraints in vehicles, why not school buses?
Town Crier

Poplar Bluff, MO

#2 Oct 3, 2012
Common sense says yes. School boards who okay the purchase of buses w/o belts lack common sense.
opinion

Brainerd, MN

#3 Oct 3, 2012
Yes buses need seat belts. The schools always claim it cost too much though.
Mother

United States

#4 Oct 3, 2012
Questiom wrote:
What do you think? Should scEhool buses have them since its a law for child restraints in vehicles, why not school buses?
First let me say that I NEVER ride in my car or anyone else's car without a seat belt. That said, I am leary of seat belts in buses. Who's going to be able to help all these kids unbuckle their belts in case of fire, particularly preschool and kindergarten age. With a lot of smoke, small children could panic and not be able to undo them. In 1995 my then 4th grader's bus was rear-ended by an industrial truck towing a backhoe. He was in the very back seat. He was thrown into the aisle and his seat mate was pushed into his spot. There was 4 inches between his seat and the seat in front of him after the wreck. He and his friend both ended up with a broken leg. IF they had been in seat belts they would have been killed. This was one isolated incident. I can imagine that in accidents in which the bus tipped or rolled over, it would clearly be advantageous to have had seatbelts. So I don't know what the answer is. I'm just glad they weren't there for my son's accident.
brother

United States

#5 Oct 3, 2012
buses are designed so that the back of the seat in front offers the needed protection in case of an accident. they have tested buses just like they do cars. i hardly doubt you will be able to keep 40+ kids buckled in and also who will help the younger ones in case of an emergency 1`person can't save every kid thats buckled in.

You people don't use any common sense and assume a bus is like a car, its not.
brother

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2012
opinion wrote:
Yes buses need seat belts. The schools always claim it cost too much though.
no they don't. you and the one above you dont know jack shit your talking out of your ass.
Sue

Brainerd, MN

#7 Oct 3, 2012
I saw on the news about a bus wreck in Kentucky and the bus turned over on its side. I don't think any child was seriously hurt, but the camera shots showed them being tossed on top of the kids across the aisle. I'm not sure if it would have been better for them to just be hanging there. Most of the time bus drivers drive safe so there aren't a lot of bus wrecks. And I agree, if there's a fire they will have a better chance of getting out. You can't compare a bus to a car because buses are made of reinforced steel and things to keep them safer. A lot of cars are made with gas mileage in mind, so they are made of light weight materials.
Town Crier

Poplar Bluff, MO

#8 Oct 3, 2012
If a bus rolls over and a 150-pound Jr. High kid rolls on top of a 45 pound kindergartner, how will that turn out?
Fire in car wrecks isn't common, but that's the reason given by some adults why they refuse to wear seatbelts.
Please

Vilonia, AR

#9 Oct 3, 2012
The amount of time it would take the driver and/or older kids helping to get little ones unbelted would be tragic. Kids need to be able to be gotten off the bus very quickly, both through the front and rear doors. Seatbelts would slow that process down. It isn't the money that keeps school boards from okaying seatbelts. Research suggests that kids are not as safe belted in as they would be if they could get off the bus quickly.
brother

United States

#10 Oct 3, 2012
Town Crier wrote:
If a bus rolls over and a 150-pound Jr. High kid rolls on top of a 45 pound kindergartner, how will that turn out?
Fire in car wrecks isn't common, but that's the reason given by some adults why they refuse to wear seatbelts.
and how do you plan to MAKE either one of these students wear their seat belt? write up? detention? laughable.
BusMom

Newtown Square, PA

#11 Oct 15, 2012
I recently took over a route of high schoolers on a bus. THere is a sign on the front of the bus that says to buckle up for their safety and each day I tell them to buckle up. None of them do even when told or if they do to placate me, then they unbuckle as soon as they think I am not paying attention. They refuse. I have no aide on the bus. It is impossible to focus on driving safely and monitor that all the kids are keeping their seatbelts on, especially with all the noise. I would prefer they wear them, but they won't. Even my supervisor rode the bus one day and told them to buckle up and they did the same to him. Some buckled up and then undid them once the ride was underweigh. But I bet if there was an accident, their parents would want to sue if their kids didn't have a seatbelt on in an accident.
pooter

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Oct 18, 2012
This has been discussed and tested it has been decided by national standards to be unneeded..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans seeking impeachment of Trump. 24 min Chris Hayes 11
Trump supporters with Russian flags 35 min GGG 4
Marriage works 56 min real life 27
Radio Shack in Poplar Bluff CLOSING 1 hr el mexicano 12
DNC Committee to pick lead Snowflake 1 hr Donald 1
J.C.Penney 2 hr Smackdown 4
daniel mcneal (Oct '11) 3 hr Truth 10

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance