First Prev
of 2
Next Last
first grader mom

United States

#1 May 2, 2008
My daughter will be going to Eugene Field next year for first grade. Anyone have any advice/recommendations on teachers there? She is a quiet, shy child around adults. Gets in a little trouble for talking to friends in her Kindergarten class, but overall a pretty good kid. Or at least her Kindergarten teacher thinks so. Sometimes she's a different kid at home though! lol

I heard that Carnahan down there is good, but I heard she may be retiring. I know there is 4 others, a couple new teachers. I checked the PB website and it looks like the other first grade teachers are Olic, Olsen, Robinson, and Webb.

Any info will be considered! Tks
AnotherTrainedSp otter

Alto, GA

#2 May 2, 2008
Don't go for Olic she is a great teacher but talks down to the students.
first grader mom

United States

#3 May 3, 2008
Hmmm....I heard that from one other source too.
tks for your input!
Auntie

United States

#4 May 3, 2008
My niece had Mrs. Olsen last year. She really liked her. She was creative and very friendly. My sister always had positive things to say about her.
I think Webb and Roberts are both new this year.
Justsittinhere

Van Nuys, CA

#5 May 6, 2008
Robertson is new to PB but taught for many years in Greenville. I think she's a good teacher. She has a real enthusiasm for teaching her kids and enjoys her job.
First grader mom

United States

#6 May 6, 2008
Justsittinhere wrote:
Robertson is new to PB but taught for many years in Greenville. I think she's a good teacher. She has a real enthusiasm for teaching her kids and enjoys her job.
Thanks for the info!
Parent

United States

#7 Jun 26, 2008
My son has Olic for summer school. He absolutely loves going to school. Couldn't say the same when he was in Kindergarten. He has learned so much and is so excited. It's nice to finally have him wanting to go to school. Especially summer school!
Parent

Eminence, MO

#8 Jun 26, 2008
My son had Cindy Robertson for first grade. She is wonderful and knows what she is doing. She is fair to students and rewards good behavior.

My son loved her!
parent

AOL

#9 Feb 5, 2009
mrs carnahan is the best teacher,my little girl was in that class and she came home talking all about her day. You have to have her
guest

Patton, MO

#10 Feb 7, 2009
I cant recommend any of them as I have always had issues anytime my kids have had to attend Eugene Fields. Any other school they go to they do so great and the teachers just praise them. Yet at Eugene Fields the teachers send home notes on behavior and academics.

My oldest was making 100% on his tests and his regular papers for school. He made A honor roll and everything. Then I get a letter sent home from his teacher saying that he would benefit from tutoring as he was not grasping the curriculum? How does she figure a Straight A student who is always on A honor does not grasp the curriculum?

My last straw was when my oldest son came home from school with the cap off a beer bottle and when asked where he got it he said on the play ground and that the teacher looked at it when he showed it to her and then shrugged her shoulders and told him to go on and play. She let him keep it and did not even think to take it from him. First off the thing had sharp edges that could have cut him.

My youngest son came home with bite marks on him and he told me that this girl in his class likes to hit and bite him. The teacher does nothing about this. What kind of teacher is so self absorbed that she does nothing to deal with a child who is biting in her class room?

Sorry I hate that school with a passion. Think twice before allowing your child to go to school there. If you have any other options I would utilize those options before allowing your child there. If it was my kids behavior I could understand but I have had them at other schools and never had one incident with my children. So that tells me it is the school
eugene field mom

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Feb 7, 2009
I understand that Mrs. Arnold is retiring this year. So, sad, my children have went there and she is the most honest and has the most compassion for your kids. I have one coming in next year and hope that they get someone who has the same love that she has. Anyone heard who that may have yet?
New principal

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Feb 7, 2009
Mrs. Arnold is great lady. She will be missed at Eugene Field. It will be tough to replace her. I heard that Tim Hager was up for it. I know that he would do great job at Eugene Field. My kids attended school in Ellinsore before they came to Poplar Bluff. He loves kids and you can discuss issues with him and know that he is concerned about any issue you bring to him. I hope they don't let him get away.
Firefly

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Feb 8, 2009
guest wrote:
I cant recommend any of them as I have always had issues anytime my kids have had to attend Eugene Fields. Any other school they go to they do so great and the teachers just praise them. Yet at Eugene Fields the teachers send home notes on behavior and academics.
My oldest was making 100% on his tests and his regular papers for school. He made A honor roll and everything. Then I get a letter sent home from his teacher saying that he would benefit from tutoring as he was not grasping the curriculum? How does she figure a Straight A student who is always on A honor does not grasp the curriculum?
My last straw was when my oldest son came home from school with the cap off a beer bottle and when asked where he got it he said on the play ground and that the teacher looked at it when he showed it to her and then shrugged her shoulders and told him to go on and play. She let him keep it and did not even think to take it from him. First off the thing had sharp edges that could have cut him.
My youngest son came home with bite marks on him and he told me that this girl in his class likes to hit and bite him. The teacher does nothing about this. What kind of teacher is so self absorbed that she does nothing to deal with a child who is biting in her class room?
Sorry I hate that school with a passion. Think twice before allowing your child to go to school there. If you have any other options I would utilize those options before allowing your child there. If it was my kids behavior I could understand but I have had them at other schools and never had one incident with my children. So that tells me it is the school
Which school would you recommend?
out on a limb

United States

#14 Feb 8, 2009
Firefly wrote:
<quoted text>
Which school would you recommend?
I'm gonna guess her little angels go to Westwood.
guest

Patton, MO

#15 Feb 9, 2009
well first off my children are far from angels. They are after all boys. No they do not go to Westwood. Sorry not rich can not afford private school. I just find Eugene Fields school to not be the greatest school there is for young children. If I monitored my children that loosely like they do, I would have my children taken away for neglect. Yet the school can let teachers be that lacking in supervision and get away with it. I find that horrible. By the way it was Eugene Fields that had the gun brought to school and pulled on the bus. The kid pointed that gun at several children on the bus. REMEMBER THE CLEAR BACK PACKS. Sorry but I do not live in a big city because I want my kids protected from crap like that. Eugene Fields does not take the protection of kids very seriously. I know I am not the only parent that is upset with that school. Nor am I the only parent that filed complaints against MS Arnold and several teachers there with the STATE SCHOOL BOARD.

There may be some good teachers there but the lazy ones sure out weight the good ones. As to my recommendation go with what ever you feel comfortable with. For just as many parents that may like that hell hole they call a school, well you have just as many if not more parents that hate having their kids there.
rockin robin

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Feb 9, 2009
AnotherTrainedSpotter wrote:
Don't go for Olic she is a great teacher but talks down to the students.
i had mrs. olic for my 1st grade teacher and i loved her!!
rockin robin

Poplar Bluff, MO

#17 Feb 9, 2009
guest wrote:
I cant recommend any of them as I have always had issues anytime my kids have had to attend Eugene Fields. Any other school they go to they do so great and the teachers just praise them. Yet at Eugene Fields the teachers send home notes on behavior and academics.
My oldest was making 100% on his tests and his regular papers for school. He made A honor roll and everything. Then I get a letter sent home from his teacher saying that he would benefit from tutoring as he was not grasping the curriculum? How does she figure a Straight A student who is always on A honor does not grasp the curriculum?
My last straw was when my oldest son came home from school with the cap off a beer bottle and when asked where he got it he said on the play ground and that the teacher looked at it when he showed it to her and then shrugged her shoulders and told him to go on and play. She let him keep it and did not even think to take it from him. First off the thing had sharp edges that could have cut him.
My youngest son came home with bite marks on him and he told me that this girl in his class likes to hit and bite him. The teacher does nothing about this. What kind of teacher is so self absorbed that she does nothing to deal with a child who is biting in her class room?
Sorry I hate that school with a passion. Think twice before allowing your child to go to school there. If you have any other options I would utilize those options before allowing your child there. If it was my kids behavior I could understand but I have had them at other schools and never had one incident with my children. So that tells me it is the school
it obviously is your childs behavior.. i went there when i was a child and loved it. Some of the best times of my life.
out on a limb

United States

#18 Feb 9, 2009
guest wrote:
well first off my children are far from angels. They are after all boys. No they do not go to Westwood. Sorry not rich can not afford private school. I just find Eugene Fields school to not be the greatest school there is for young children. If I monitored my children that loosely like they do, I would have my children taken away for neglect. Yet the school can let teachers be that lacking in supervision and get away with it. I find that horrible. By the way it was Eugene Fields that had the gun brought to school and pulled on the bus. The kid pointed that gun at several children on the bus. REMEMBER THE CLEAR BACK PACKS. Sorry but I do not live in a big city because I want my kids protected from crap like that. Eugene Fields does not take the protection of kids very seriously. I know I am not the only parent that is upset with that school. Nor am I the only parent that filed complaints against MS Arnold and several teachers there with the STATE SCHOOL BOARD.
There may be some good teachers there but the lazy ones sure out weight the good ones. As to my recommendation go with what ever you feel comfortable with. For just as many parents that may like that hell hole they call a school, well you have just as many if not more parents that hate having their kids there.
Geez. Some people will make up the dumbest crap.
The gun incident (a few years back) was NOT EUGENE FIELD. Also, if you know so much about the school you would think you would at least get the name right. It is Eugene Field, NOT Eugene FieldS! I know alot of people's who have kids there and they don't say any of the negative junk you've thrown out there. In case you didn't know, all of the Poplar Bluff schools have their issues. They have some fantastic teachers down there. No matter what you say, I am glad my kid will be there next year. My niece loves it there.
By the way, you can't file complaints with a state school board, because there is no such thing. Go to some other topic and stir up crap there. If you have problems with a school or principal here the next in command would be school administration beside the high school. I know for a fact they will listen.
Antoinette McGowan

Patton, MO

#19 Feb 11, 2009
My 1st grader has Ms/Mrs. Robertson. He likes hers. For anyone who wants to know about 3rd grade my oldest has Ms/Mrs. Drew. She spent 30 minutes on the phone with me this morning addressing an issue that has come up and she was very pleasant and easy to talk with.

“Was that you??”

Since: Oct 08

Poplar Bluff

#20 Feb 11, 2009
My nephew also has Mrs. Robertson. I feel sorry for her because he is a BAD ASS KID! I know I couldnt be a teacher because I would have little kids strung up by their ankles. Sometimes its hard enough to put up with your own kids when they are bad, let alone someone else's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debbie Bazzell 17 min Guest 6
The reason people hate cops (Nov '08) 1 hr Cali 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) 2 hr aha 967
Hailey parker 2 hr OUTLAW 44
Tyler Russom 2 hr Scotty 9
Terry Armes 3 hr Laughable 2
Has anyone used "The Liquid Stuff" to pass a d... (Jan '09) 4 hr Realprobs1 730

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poplar Bluff Mortgages