need help eoth car info.
anny info please

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2013
Hi, I bought a car for $3000 last week. The man decided to tell me after getting into the paper work that it had a salvaged title. But was in process of getting it inspected by highway patrol an it'd be legal in less than a week. It was supposedly damaged from a hail storm he says. Anywho when, I purchased the car it had 2 cracked mirrors. He made a note promising to give me new Ines and get an appointment with highway patrol to get car going. I called 24 hours later wanting my money back. The license bureau said it'd be atleast a month or so to get it legal. On top of that a loud noise spindlings like a truck has started. And the lights and electric system on the inside is going out. When I calf him he told me it was my problem now and I wasn't getting a dime back. He hung up on me an I haven't heard from him since. I don't Know what I should or can do. I work pretty far away an need a vehicle an now don't have money for another. Should've been smart an just used it as a down payment. Aywaus if anyone knows if u can return a used car, please help. No rude comments necessary. Thanks an God bless
Stuffer

Qulin, MO

#3 Feb 18, 2013
anny info please wrote:
Hi, I bought a car for $3000 last week. The man decided to tell me after getting into the paper work that it had a salvaged title. But was in process of getting it inspected by highway patrol an it'd be legal in less than a week. It was supposedly damaged from a hail storm he says. Anywho when, I purchased the car it had 2 cracked mirrors. He made a note promising to give me new Ines and get an appointment with highway patrol to get car going. I called 24 hours later wanting my money back. The license bureau said it'd be atleast a month or so to get it legal. On top of that a loud noise spindlings like a truck has started. And the lights and electric system on the inside is going out. When I calf him he told me it was my problem now and I wasn't getting a dime back. He hung up on me an I haven't heard from him since. I don't Know what I should or can do. I work pretty far away an need a vehicle an now don't have money for another. Should've been smart an just used it as a down payment. Aywaus if anyone knows if u can return a used car, please help. No rude comments necessary. Thanks an God bless
You might not want rude comments but you almost deserve this for handing over thousands of dollars without a title in hand and thou roughly checking out the car. I'm gonna assume you're a teenage girl and you didn't know better.

The one thing that might help you here is the inspection. I know all salvage cars have to be in inspected by the Highway Patrol, but I'm not sure if it has to be done by the seller prior to the sale so you may contact Highway Patrol about it. Also if you have some sort of signed note that the car would be legal you could go to small claims court but it will take forever.

Your best bet is to go to a lawyer and have them call and scare them. Of course since you gave all your money to a stranger you may not be able to afford that.

You're pretty short on options other than calling it a lesson learned that you bought a piece of junk because you didn't take the time to check it out and you handed over money for apparently a smile and a handshake. It's not Mayberry and you may be out of luck. You could at least post the sellers name and shop to publicly shame them and protect others from repeating your mistake.

Good luck.
State Laws

Poplar Bluff, MO

#4 Feb 18, 2013
Stuffer wrote:
<quoted text>You might not want rude comments but you almost deserve this for handing over thousands of dollars without a title in hand and thou roughly checking out the car. I'm gonna assume you're a teenage girl and you didn't know better.

The one thing that might help you here is the inspection. I know all salvage cars have to be in inspected by the Highway Patrol, but I'm not sure if it has to be done by the seller prior to the sale so you may contact Highway Patrol about it. Also if you have some sort of signed note that the car would be legal you could go to small claims court but it will take forever.

Your best bet is to go to a lawyer and have them call and scare them. Of course since you gave all your money to a stranger you may not be able to afford that.

You're pretty short on options other than calling it a lesson learned that you bought a piece of junk because you didn't take the time to check it out and you handed over money for apparently a smile and a handshake. It's not Mayberry and you may be out of luck. You could at least post the sellers name and shop to publicly shame them and protect others from repeating your mistake.

Good luck.
You may not sell a vehicle without a title. If this is a business, they should know better. You could commit crimes,parking violations,damage someone else's car in said vehicle and the title is still in sellers name, so not too smart on their part either. You may contact an attorney, because I know they have to sell a car with a title.
Young&Dumb Once

Poplar Bluff, MO

#5 Feb 18, 2013
When I was young and desperate once. I was stranded in the state I went to college in. I had $100, and bought a clunker. After I bought it, the girl's dad laughed at me, "we were going to have to pay the junkyard $40 to take it". Car broke down around Appleton, and I left it on I-55. With Chuckle's tag & VIN # and no proof of sale. Hmm, who got stuck with a tow& repo& storage bill-not me!
I did learn a lesson, I don't know enough about cars, so I bring someone with me that does. I am good at payback though...
pooter

Poplar Bluff, MO

#6 Feb 18, 2013
Small claims court....
People suck

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Feb 18, 2013
If this was an individual you bought it from, there probably isn't much you can do except take them to court.

If this is a car dealer, they legally cannot sell a vehicle without a title and the title will say something like prior salvage title on it. Also, dealers MUST dislose this info to the buyer before the sale. The person/business who repaired the vehicle is responsible for the Highway Patrol inspection and it can take close to a month after the inspection to get a title back from Jefferson City to legally sell the vehicle.

If this was a business and it happened to me, I would contact Jefferson City Motor Vehicle headquarters on their Dealer Complaint Line (800) 887 - 3994 and report the dealer so maybe they would eventually lose their dealers license or have to pay a fine. Then I would consider a free consult with an attorney and get my other options as to how to get my money back. Would definitely ask for other party to have to pay my attorney fees.

The link below has more info regarding auto dealers and licensing and stuff.

http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/complaints.php
guet

United States

#8 Feb 18, 2013
A car dealer can't sell a salvaged car without first having the highway patrol inspect it. They all know this so if this was a dealer ship you need to contact the highway patrol and report him to BBB. What is the name of this place? I want to make sure I don't buy anything from him. Good luck to you.
well

Pleasant Hope, MO

#9 Feb 18, 2013
Did I not mention it does have a salvaged title. And it is a business. The license bureau told me its be a few months to get it properly licensed. I got everything I needed I suppose. Anyways, thanks to the ones without rude remarks :) have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will PB dismiss for the eclipse 1 min Guest 2
Timing 27 min Observer 11
Harps 44 min SickOfUrChit 35
Total eclipse on Monday 46 min Okgo 1
Poplar Bluff Sidewalk Construction. Good? Bad... 1 hr Observer 19
Deaf Tara (Nov '10) 1 hr Nope 19
hannah katheryn 1 hr Caught cha 48

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance