Prop B cigarrette tax
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Guest

United States

#1 Nov 1, 2012
How are you voting, and why?
Voting no

Walnut Shade, MO

#2 Nov 1, 2012
I'm voting no.

Why? Because fewer and fewer people are smoking. In 5-10 years, there probably won't be very many people smoking.

Until that time, budgets and financial commitments will be made based on revenue from taxing cigarettes.

What's going to happen when revenue from cigarette taxes is no longer enough to meet those budgets and financial commitments?

You guess it. An increase on other tax payers. Maybe in the form of a mill levy. Maybe an increase in the sales tax.

No thanks. Stop looking for ways to fund out of control spending. Don't increase taxes to meet your budgets, CUT SPENDING to meet your budgets.
Oooh

Poplar Bluff, MO

#4 Nov 1, 2012
Few and few people smoking? Sorry you lost me there.
guest

United States

#5 Nov 1, 2012
I'm voting no. Start here and then hit sodas, candy and fast food on the premise that its unhealthy.
Voting no

Walnut Shade, MO

#6 Nov 1, 2012
Oooh wrote:
Few and few people smoking? Sorry you lost me there.
Really? I'm assuming you have internet connection. Do a Google search for "Cigarette Sales" or "Decline in Smoking."

Maybe you personally haven't noticed, but there's little doubt it's happening.
guest

United States

#7 Nov 1, 2012
Where's the money supposed to go this time?
smoker

Vilonia, AR

#8 Nov 1, 2012
When they raise the beer tax I'll think about a yes vote. Drunk drives do more damage than my smoking at home. Don't get on your high horse, I'll not smoke in your house or car, I have that much respect for your choice not to smoke. Just leave my choice alone.
Guest

United States

#9 Nov 1, 2012
They are saying the money will go to schools. Kinda like where the money was supposed to go from lottery ticket sales. If it has been going to schools, then it must be for raises. The kids are doing more fundraising now than they were before the lottery started. So if the schools are getting that money then where is it going?
guest

United States

#10 Nov 1, 2012
Guest wrote:
They are saying the money will go to schools. Kinda like where the money was supposed to go from lottery ticket sales. If it has been going to schools, then it must be for raises. The kids are doing more fundraising now than they were before the lottery started. So if the schools are getting that money then where is it going?
Great question.
Oooh

Poplar Bluff, MO

#11 Nov 1, 2012
Voting no wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I'm assuming you have internet connection. Do a Google search for "Cigarette Sales" or "Decline in Smoking."
Maybe you personally haven't noticed, but there's little doubt it's happening.
No, I'm not doubting that sales are declining. That's obvious. I just fail to see who declining sale / fewer people smoking is a problem. Yes, the government "relying" on that revenue is idiotic, but the extra money coming from the dying tax should be considered just that, Extra.
Our government has the worse sense when it comes to finance planning.
Next

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Nov 1, 2012
Yes, Yes, Yes.
Voting no

Walnut Shade, MO

#13 Nov 2, 2012
Oooh wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not doubting that sales are declining. That's obvious. I just fail to see who declining sale / fewer people smoking is a problem. Yes, the government "relying" on that revenue is idiotic, but the extra money coming from the dying tax should be considered just that, Extra. Our government has the worse sense when it comes to finance planning.
I see. I think we're pretty much in agreement in general. Yes, sales are declining. Yes, fewer people smoking is good. Yes, relying on the revenue is bad.

It should be considered "extra" income, but mark my words - it won't.

80% of the revenue will be used "to fund schools." Sounds good on the surface. But that revenue WILL dry up, and we all know what will happen next.

"We MUST raise taxes. Our schools are under funded. Think of the children!"

As someone in a previous comment said, lottery and gambling revenue was supposed to fund schools. And I'm sure it has. But since that "extra" money was coming in for the schools, then base funds for schools was reduced by an equal amount and used to fund something else. There was probably very little net gain in funding for schools.
ButButt

Greenbrier, AR

#14 Nov 2, 2012
Smoke screen.. to get the tax passed same as the lottery monies.. were supposed to go to schools and now "Where did they spend it? because our schools still waiting.
I will vote NO.
Esther

Waterloo, IL

#15 Nov 2, 2012
I'm voting no. These people are gonna get their cigs no matter how high they go so what is the point?? It's not gonna change anything at all.
Esther

Waterloo, IL

#16 Nov 2, 2012
In reply to the comment about fewer and fewer people smoking, that is absolutely correct. Only 27% of people smoke nationwide.
Worker

Portageville, MO

#17 Nov 2, 2012
Esther wrote:
I'm voting no. These people are gonna get their cigs no matter how high they go so what is the point?? It's not gonna change anything at all.
I'm voting yes. What's the point? The point is the vast majority of those who smoke receive their medical care via a government program, or they run up doctor bills they do not pay, driving up my health care costs. I prefer not to pay for someone else's bad choices with my tax dollars. It is a proven fact that the higher the cost of cigarettes, the less people will smoke. If a tax increase reduces the needed medical care or saves the life of a smoker, in my opinion, THAT is the point!
Esther

Columbia, MO

#18 Nov 2, 2012
Worker wrote:
<quoted text>I'm voting yes. What's the point? The point is the vast majority of those who smoke receive their medical care via a government program, or they run up doctor bills they do not pay, driving up my health care costs. I prefer not to pay for someone else's bad choices with my tax dollars. It is a proven fact that the higher the cost of cigarettes, the less people will smoke. If a tax increase reduces the needed medical care or saves the life of a smoker, in my opinion, THAT is the point!
You vote yes and I'll vote no (and FYI I'm a NON-smoker) and we'll see who wins. We all have our opinions. I suggest you rally up your friends and get them to the polls on Tues!
Morticia Addams

Poplar Bluff, MO

#19 Nov 2, 2012
I was going to vote no, but the smokers I work with really pissed me off today. I haven't got a break today until now, and they've had 3 or 4 smoke breaks.
Tax them until their lungs pop...
what the hell

Jackson, MO

#20 Nov 2, 2012
Smokers are a-holes so Im gladly voting yes!
Esther

United States

#21 Nov 2, 2012
what the hell wrote:
Smokers are a-holes so Im gladly voting yes!
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Money buys freedom 5 min Noota aunt 14
Watch out 26 min Was warned 2
Amanda Goodwin 3 hr gen 3
Galloping Goose MC (May '10) 3 hr 77 Supporter 364
gina (Nov '09) 4 hr Smooth talker 17
why 4 hr Guest 2
Didnt know you were dumb 5 hr Tazzy 15

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poplar Bluff Mortgages