Homeschooling Information

Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
proudmom

Ellington, MO

#1 Aug 15, 2009
Just wondering if anyone had any information on getting started homeschooling and support groups around the Poplar Bluff area. I am interested in homeschooling my kids but I need more info Thanks
Jon Fizzysoda Kinnidee

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Aug 15, 2009
If you are stupid enuf to homeschool your kids, then any ifo given on here won't help you anyway. Idiot. Your kids will turn out like the Munsters or worse.
not true

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Aug 15, 2009
That is not true. Home schooling has grown in popularity a lot in recent years.
It can be done via the internet now and is accepted by most colleges including ivy league schools such as Harvard and Vanderbilt.
I would hope that if someone chooses to home school their children that they will make sure to socialize them in a variety of environments. That is where you get the strange ones I think! When they are isolated from peers.
Some College Recruiter

Vilonia, AR

#4 Aug 15, 2009
not true wrote:
That is not true. Home schooling has grown in popularity a lot in recent years.
It can be done via the internet now and is accepted by most colleges including ivy league schools such as Harvard and Vanderbilt.
I would hope that if someone chooses to home school their children that they will make sure to socialize them in a variety of environments. That is where you get the strange ones I think! When they are isolated from peers.
"Hi, I'm a home schooled kid from Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Can I go to Harvard?"

"No"

"Oh, OK. So Three Rivers it is, then."

"Yes"
There is a group

Van Nuys, CA

#5 Aug 15, 2009
There is a homeschooling group in Poplar Bluff. I believe they are meeting Aug. 21st at Hendrickson Park at 10 to go over the schedule for the year and do some sort of curriculum swap. I don't do too much with them because my son goes to school and my daughter is only 4, but I still get the emails. I don't want to put anyone's email address on here though, but the library probably has contact info. That's how I found out about them when we moved here.
There is a group

Van Nuys, CA

#6 Aug 15, 2009
Some College Recruiter wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hi, I'm a home schooled kid from Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Can I go to Harvard?"
"No"
"Oh, OK. So Three Rivers it is, then."
"Yes"
If you do a search on the words Harvard and homeschoolers you will see that Harvard (and Princeton and Yale) accepts and enrolls homeschooled students. Better luck next time.
someone

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Aug 16, 2009
www.movip.org is a missouri online home school program.
Just Curious

Patton, MO

#8 Aug 16, 2009
What really concerns me is what is the criteria needed for a person to home school their child? Can anyone do it? I've seen some of the most ignorant and actually plain stupid people talking about home schooling their children. How is it monitored by the state to make certain the children are benefiting from remaining at home? Will there be a major backlash a few years down the road with another generation of inbeciles?
There is a group

Van Nuys, CA

#9 Aug 16, 2009
Just Curious wrote:
What really concerns me is what is the criteria needed for a person to home school their child? Can anyone do it? I've seen some of the most ignorant and actually plain stupid people talking about home schooling their children. How is it monitored by the state to make certain the children are benefiting from remaining at home? Will there be a major backlash a few years down the road with another generation of inbeciles?
Well the public schools aren't doing the best job at educating kids either, so it's a crap shoot either way you educate your kid. But to answer your question, each state varies. Some states have very strict rules regarding homeschooling, including having certified teachers review a homeschoolers curriculum.

Missouri is a no notification state, which means that you don't need to report the fact that you are homeschooling. If you pull your child from school you have to withdraw them but there are no annual reporting requirements. You do however need to keep a record book for each year showing, I believe, 600 hours of instruction. And then of course in high school you need to keep organized records and provide transcripts for your child, but there are programs out now that help homeschoolers with recordkeeping and transcripts for college applications. But Missouri does not require that homeschoolers have their records reviewed by a certified teacher or the school district they reside in. Anyone can homeschool in Missouri.

I agree that there are some people who should not homeschool, but there are teachers in the public schools who should have chosen a different line of work, too. So, like I said, it's a crapshoot anymore with kids' education. Hopefully every family will do what's best for their child.

chidoug

Since: Apr 08

Chicago, IL

#10 Aug 16, 2009
now i'm not a big fan of homeschooling, and there are some up and down sides of it.

if you choose homeschooling, then one thing that i suggest is having your kids in some sort of club or sports.

this way they get to be somewhat normal and learn how to interact with other people outside of home.

chidoug

Chicago, IL

#11 Aug 16, 2009
There is a group wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the public schools aren't doing the best job at educating kids either,
i agree but disagree at the same time. its both the school and the parents. regardless what school you go to, it what you want out of it will matter.

meaning is you can send your kid to a private school and pay 12 thousand a yr, but they might not received any better education then going to a free public school.
midwestern4life

Hillsboro, MO

#12 Aug 16, 2009
chidoug wrote:
<quoted text>i agree but disagree at the same time. its both the school and the parents. regardless what school you go to, it what you want out of it will matter.
meaning is you can send your kid to a private school and pay 12 thousand a yr, but they might not received any better education then going to a free public school.
I have 1 child in Private High School and 1 in Public Middle School. There is a big difference, in my opinion. When my child graduates Private High School he will already have one year of college taken care of. He will also have a better chance at scholarships.
I don't pay 12 thousand a year though, I pay 7 thousand. Of course, public school is free, but when my daughter gets ready to go into High School, she will be able to make the decision on what she wants- public or private.
I thought of home schooling, but when I did my research, I found that Private was the best when it came to getting my children scholarships and into a good college or university.
Just my opinion.
There is a group

Van Nuys, CA

#13 Aug 16, 2009
chidoug wrote:
<quoted text>i agree but disagree at the same time. its both the school and the parents. regardless what school you go to, it what you want out of it will matter.
I think it depends on where you live. Where we're from the public schools have a gifted program that actually takes place at one particular school and as long as a kid tests into gifted they stay in the program K-12. Here in Poplar Bluff, they don't really have anything like that and my son tested gifted. They do offer a program, but from what I understand it's one day a week. And that's just one aspect of public schools not being able to provide fully what every student needs.

When I have a 2nd grade teacher tell me that they don't encourage reading chapter books (what my son has been reading since the end of 1st grade) until after the christmas break, I just have to shake my head with my mouth open because I was honestly at a loss for words. If a child is reading chapter books on his own, why not encourage him?

So I can provide enrichment at home, which I do since we are homeschoolers and public schoolers, but the schools in our area are incapable of providing what he needs. So that's why I say that public schools aren't doing the best job of educating kids. But location is always a factor. Being a homeschooler and having one in regular school I can see good and bad points of both types of education.
mom3

United States

#14 Aug 16, 2009
There is a group wrote:
<quoted text>

When I have a 2nd grade teacher tell me that they don't encourage reading chapter books (what my son has been reading since the end of 1st grade) until after the christmas break, I just have to shake my head with my mouth open because I was honestly at a loss for words. If a child is reading chapter books on his own, why not encourage him?

That's absurd! My child's first grade teacher encouraged him to read anything he wanted (as long as he was reading was the point). She had him reading chapter books by Christmas in first grade.

So I can provide enrichment at home, which I do
Which is what all parents should be doing!
proudmom

Ellington, MO

#15 Aug 16, 2009
We live an hour or so from PB and we only have one public school to choose from. The closest private school is PB. I graduated from the school in our town and all I remember is watching a lot of movies and goofing off. I remember only a few teachers that actually cared enough to make us do our school work. I don't believe the education there was as good as other schools. I seem to have no other choice but to homeschool since with my husbands job moving is not an option. Does anyone know how much it costs to attend another public school with out of county tuition?

chidoug

Chicago, IL

#16 Aug 17, 2009
midwestern4life wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 1 child in Private High School and 1 in Public Middle School. There is a big difference, in my opinion. When my child graduates Private High School he will already have one year of college taken care of. He will also have a better chance at scholarships.
schools are a bit different everywhere. my kid opted to go to a public school Vs the private all girl school that i wish she would go. but when she graduates from this public school she will also have a yrs worth of college taken care of.

like i said i would prefer my kid go to this private school but she is able to get the same education if not better in this public school.

but what i'm trying to say is that you can get a good education for both, its what you want to get out of it that matters.

chidoug

Chicago, IL

#17 Aug 17, 2009
There is a group wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it depends on where you live. Where we're from the public schools have a gifted program that actually takes place at one particular school and as long as a kid tests into gifted they stay in the program K-12. Here in Poplar Bluff, they don't really have anything like that and my son tested gifted. They do offer a program, but from what I understand it's one day a week. And that's just one aspect of public schools not being able to provide fully what every student needs.
So I can provide enrichment at home, which I do since we are homeschoolers and public schoolers, but the schools in our area are incapable of providing what he needs. So that's why I say that public schools aren't doing the best job of educating kids. But location is always a factor. Being a homeschooler and having one in regular school I can see good and bad points of both types of education.
you are right it does depend on where you live. we were lucky enough to get my kids (they tested in) in to a great school. and i was just amazed at what they have these kids do from day one. these kids go into first grade already reading at some time a 3rd grade level.

and what i see is most of the problem with kids schooling is the lack of parents willing to be part of their education, that they use school more or less for a baby sitter.
Father looking for Help

Eminence, MO

#18 Jun 13, 2011
We are looking to home school our child for the first time. We have been studying for the last month or so everything that we need to do, but I was wondering if anyone had some time to go over some things with me that is currently home schooling in the Poplar Bluff area.

Here are some of the questions we are looking at:

1. Go to the school he is currently enrolled and submit a letter of our intent to homeschool for the next year.

2. Does anyone use the state based classes at movip.com ? Are they worth the prices? We are really looking in to using some standard text books and settign up his curriculum ourself.

3. Should we keep all of his work on file? We have a few over-zealous relatives and we want to make sure we have everything documented just in case.

4. Should we keep a daily log of everythign he does and the exact time spent on it?

5. When he gets close to high school we will probably want to re-enroll him, what is the process for that?

6. Are there any support groups that still meet in the Poplar Bluff area?

Thank you in advance.
Love to Homeschool

Rose Bud, AR

#19 Jul 28, 2011
First of all I want to say yes, there is a homeschool co-op group in Poplar Bluff and we are meeting on Aug 26, 2011 at 10am at the Poplar Bluff Public Library downstairs in a room just off to the side of the childrens library where we will hand out group event schedules and discuss it. Afterwards we will be meeting at Hendrickson park for a potluck lunch.

We welcome all homeschooling families.

Father looking for help,
#3 You don't have to keep ALL of his work, just keep as much as you feel comfortable with. The law says to keep some samples of his work. With my kids I just keep work showing how they started out and how they are progressing. Like when my oldest was learning to write I kept some pages showing how her writing wasn't very good then also work showing her improvement.
#4 You can keep a lesson planner, like public school teachers, a journal or a scrapbook type thing, it is truely your preference but in the end they do have to have 1000 instructional hours of schooling.

Here is a link with Missouri requirements
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp...
Once you click on the link, click on the one that says Missouri-A Legal Analysis

Just keep good records, be sincere and you shouldn't have any problem.

Here's a link to our homeschool support group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/poplarbluffhome...

Just click 'Join this group' to the right if you want.

We wish you luck.
Veteran home schooler

United States

#20 Jul 31, 2011
Hey I'll get you some great links posted that will help! Ignore the people with ignorant comments. Brown university said their home schooled students are the epitome of Brown's student body; not to mention what Yale and Harvard has said. We use the Abeka curriculum which is the same curriculum many private schools use. My kindergartener performs at about the same level as the children of friends that are in 3rd grade at Oak Grove. The lame social excuse given by many is one of the oldest arguements that opponents of home schooling use and its very outdated. The only way anyone knows we home school is if we tell them. We are a perfectly normal family and both my children score almost 2 grade levels higher on standardized tests in every subject and higher in some. Lol, guess I should end the angry rant.... I'll get a list of helpful sites and post it on here soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wild Lettuce 15 min rocky 3
Verizon and others 19 min NEWS bout to begin 1
Ding a Ling 38 min Freak 27
Pot smokers 52 min Cali 28
News Lawmakers address accusations 1 hr Sarah 85
Probation 1 hr Jack 65
Woman at O'Reillys counter 1 hr what 7

Poplar Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance