5th and 6th grade pto fundraiser

Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
mad dad

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 3, 2009
i have had two children go thru the pb school system an never had a gripe till now. my kid in 5th grade brings home paper about selling candy the normal candy sell that parents have to go thru every yr. but now you have to prepay 50 bucks to sell the candy so your child can attend the bounce blast party or u can opt out give the school a donation of 25 bucks and they can attend the party.how m any low class families can come up with 50 bucks to buy the candy or give the school 25 bucks, an the kids that cant come up with money get to sit in a room and watch the others play games an eat pizza. selling the stuff and be responible for the money that is owed is one thing but the pressure of making someone come up with money themselves is wrong. me and my wife both work and make a nice living but i will be damned if iam going to be bullied into buying candy so my my kid wont have to be on the outside looking in. Alright Iam ready for all the smart remarks to hit me from all sides Iam a big boy I can take it, let me hear what you all think out there
Poplar Bluff

Poplar Bluff, MO

#2 Oct 3, 2009
I agree with you, that is a horrible practice. I think I would keep my child home on the day of the party and I am sure many other parents will do just that-- resulting in a high rate of absence on that day. If this happens, maybe they will rethink the program for next year.
chidoug

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Oct 3, 2009
IN MY OPINION, THiS IS THE WORST IDEA EVER, IT DOESENT EVEN MAKE SENCE
yes

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 3, 2009
i 2 agree my daughter brought the letter home. iasked around they say its actually for the yearbook program. so the kids get the yearbook free. but i think this is the wrong approach.. the principle of the school should be ashamed to allow it. call and complain to her. thats what i did////
no doubt

Cape Girardeau, MO

#5 Oct 3, 2009
They had to do that because too many kids took the candy and never turned in any money. Don't blame the school for that. I'll happily pay the $25 and let the school keep the candy.
fact

Cape Girardeau, MO

#6 Oct 3, 2009
mad dad wrote:
the kids that cant come up with money get to sit in a room and watch the others play games an eat pizza.
Lots of kids won't get to go the the party for any number of reasons. It is up to you, either sell the box of candy or pony up the $25 and your kid can go to the party or don't and they won't.

Life is tough, wear a helmet.
PB Mules

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Oct 3, 2009
I think this is an amazing idea. Most fundraisers make half of the proceeds, I will gladly donate $25.00 to avoid having to drag candy bars around. I have worked on PTO for years, people won't pay, the candy's gone, bad checks are written, it's not a fun VOLUNTEER position. Granted it may be difficult for some parents to come up with the $25.00, but if possible, it really goes a LONG way in providing yearbooks and other items throughout the year. Use to only some kids could afford yearbooks, the teachers would pass them out, some getting them, some not. They hated it. Now every child gets a yearbook whether they can afford one. There are four other opportunities to attend parties, these are WING parties,(We Are In To Noticing Good Behavior)
You cannot have over three or five demerits, a C average, good attendance (can't remember exactly how many days missed are allowable) the kids get to have popcorn, cotton candy, soda, face painting, silly hair doos, free gym time, board games or karaoke.

Of course, there are things we all have to cut back on in this economic era, if people would have done the honorable thing in the beginning the pre-payment wouldn't be necessary.

Ballwin, MO

#8 Oct 3, 2009
Poplar Bluff wrote:
I agree with you, that is a horrible practice. I think I would keep my child home on the day of the party and I am sure many other parents will do just that-- resulting in a high rate of absence on that day. If this happens, maybe they will rethink the program for next year.
I agree 100%. I thought schools were against bullying.
what

Cape Girardeau, MO

#9 Oct 4, 2009
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%. I thought schools were against bullying.
Bullying? Are you serious? The party is a reward for selling candy or if you want you can just donate $25. On what planet is that bullying?
goob

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Oct 4, 2009
"Bullying? Are you serious? The party is a reward for selling candy or if you want you can just donate $25. On what planet is that bullying?"

What planet are you on? You are not SELLING the candy, you are BUYING the candy if you want your child to be rewarded you buy it or pay the 25.00 OPT OUT. This is not teaching kids the responsibility of hard work and earning the party, it is teaching them that you can "BUY" your way into anything. You want your child to learn that? All the people opting out are doing exactly what the school wants you to do. Why not just go back to selling the yearbook and spare some of these children the humiliation of not getting to go to a party because their parents couldn't afford to opt out?
dude

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Oct 4, 2009
have they always did it this way or did they just start it, so if i understand correctly if u dont sell the candy u still get the free yrbook
PB Mules

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Oct 4, 2009
dude wrote:
have they always did it this way or did they just start it, so if i understand correctly if u dont sell the candy u still get the free yrbook
All kids receive a yearbook and benefits from the money raised from the fundraiser, they just don't get to go to the reward party if they didn't sell candy bars.
yes

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Oct 5, 2009
still goes back to the way they handled it.. should have been worded better.. principle stay on top of ur school
ummmm

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Oct 5, 2009
a free year book isn't gonna compare to a bunch of upset kids that don't understand why they can't joinn the party!! many kids can not some up qith 25.00 for a party many kids in this town more then likely don't even get breakfast cuz their moms and dads can't sfford it and you want them to come up with 25.00!!to some people that isn't much money to others thats a lot of money and many peopel are trying to start buying Christmas so that their kids don't have to do with out that too!! may be once you see all the kids that can't come up with that money you can come up with some kind of fun raiser that the kids that couldn't make the money can do with their parents to make the money...it isn't kids fault that they are not in the upper class!! you shouldn't be able to do this!! maybe all parents should refuse to sale the candy and then what will they do!!
yes

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Oct 5, 2009
me and wife both have nice jobs with good pay but i will not be bullied into selling candy. the day of the party my son an any of his friends that mom an dad say it is ok will go out for pizza ,if he came home with a box of candy i would help him sell it but they can keep there candy . who is the head of pto who came up with this bright idea
unreal

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Oct 5, 2009
Nobody is bullying anybody, the party is for the kids that participate in the fundraiser. Don't participate then don't cry like a baby because your kid can't go.
yes

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Oct 5, 2009
unreal has all the answers Iam not talking about me or my child as much as Iam saying what about the child that mom and dad cant come up with the money and attend the party if they had the chance to sell the candy out right they might be able to attend the party an mom and dad could help wth candy sells but i respect your opinion
hello

Campbell, MO

#18 Oct 5, 2009
I AGREE IT IS A LOUSY THING TO DO. I WOULD RATHER PAY FOR A YEARBOOK AND KNOW IT THEN HAVING TO DONATED $25 TO HAVE MY KID ATTEND A PARTY IM SURE THE PARTY IS NOT WORTH $25 TO THE KIDS, SOME PEOPLE DONT HAVE THE $50 TO FRONT AND THE KID IS THE ONE WHO HAS TO PAY IN THE END AND ITS NOT FAIR
oh my

United States

#19 Oct 5, 2009
unreal wrote:
Nobody is bullying anybody, the party is for the kids that participate in the fundraiser. Don't participate then don't cry like a baby because your kid can't go.
It isn't that the kids don't want to participate, it is that they can't participate. It is unfortunate. We might as well pick our senior homecoming queen for 2016 now too cause many kids "want" to be queen, but their parents don't meet the requirements for them to "be" queen. This is no different than racism....these kids can't help if they can't participate. What a can of flippin worms that this has started. I personally can afford the $25 but I know a lot of people who can't. Perhaps we will have our own bounce house that day. I wonder how much federal funding the school will miss out on that day for all the absentism.
ummmm

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Oct 5, 2009
unreal wrote:
not all kids can affors this..you are the one that us unreal!! I feel sorry for the kids that can't go!! I don't have kids in school but I do know kids that 25.00 would not be an amout of money that they could come up with!! if you think it's just a lil money then maybe you could be kind and pay for all the kids that can't affors it.. it's not they don't want to but they can't!! I think it's great that these parents they can pay are not going too!! good for them I just think that it's great that they are teaching their kids a great thang!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pizza Inn 6 min Chill 20
Chris Rickman 35 min HouseBuyer 8
Bars for people +45 y/o 2 hr DollyDearest 9
looking for Kenneth Allen a.k.a. K.C. or Sue El... 4 hr guest 2
New Year's Message For Poplar Bluff , Mo Police... 8 hr justsayin 5
the booths at pop roxx (Apr '12) 9 hr new year party 319
That girl 9 hr Guest 20
Preston 15 hr heart broken 18
Poplar Bluff Dating
Find my Match