First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Resident Alien

Indian Head, MD

#1 Aug 26, 2011
Are they going out of business? It seems the shelves are more and more empty every time I go. I didn't see any changes after they asked for ideas over a year ago. Do they need some type of boost from the community? It's hard to buy there if they don't have what you want.

I think the store could be half the size it is now. They really need to fill the shelves! Perhaps carrying "dollar store" items would help? Years ago they carried farm and hardware type items if I recall. Maybe they should be more of a "general store."

Perhaps some giveaways? Stamps to save up for rewards?
Tommy Joe and BIlly Bob

United States

#2 Nov 14, 2011
Hi
I think they are in trouble. Could be out of business in a month or so. No more flyers, nothing on sale and harldy anything on the shelves. Fucking Wawa has a better stock they they do. They should open up anindoor pool and a some slots and a bar. That could help
Mary Jane

United States

#3 Nov 14, 2011
I saw the Selbys shopping at Costco in Gathersburg. Buying all kinds of meats and stuff. Lisa was working on the diesel engine at White's Ferry the other day. What is the deal???
Ron Jeremy

United States

#4 Nov 14, 2011
Oh my god!I saw them too Mary Jane. Mr. Selby had a fake noise and mustache and Lisa a fake beard. Or was it LEN?? Can't tell the twins apart. Hope they make it
Lester Diamond

United States

#5 Nov 15, 2011
Ron Jeremy wrote:
Oh my god!I saw them too Mary Jane. Mr. Selby had a fake noise and mustache and Lisa a fake beard. Or was it LEN?? Can't tell the twins apart. Hope they make it
That is FAKE NOSE dipshit!! And it was Lisa with the beard.
Lester Diamond

United States

#6 Nov 16, 2011
Tommy Joe and BIlly Bob wrote:
Hi
I think they are in trouble. Could be out of business in a month or so. No more flyers, nothing on sale and harldy anything on the shelves. Fucking Wawa has a better stock they they do. They should open up anindoor pool and a some slots and a bar. That could help
Yes they should sell manure in aisle 4 and bull's milk in ailse 5. Help with the empty shelving!!
Rick

Fairfax, VA

#7 Dec 2, 2011
My kids heard at school that Selby's will be closing in January. No word if anything will replace it.
Lester Diamond

United States

#8 Dec 2, 2011
Rick wrote:
My kids heard at school that Selby's will be closing in January. No word if anything will replace it.
YEP that is my my four boys heard too. In fact, Len is cutting hair and Lisa is working the diesel engine on Whites Ferry. Heard they dicked over all their vendors and all of their shit is coming from the dollar general and Albi's in Frederick.
Resident Alien

Washington, DC

#10 Dec 18, 2011
I guess maturity is not a requirement for posting here.

"Len" is actually Lyn, shortened from Lynwood.
Mother Theresa

United States

#11 Dec 19, 2011
Resident Alien wrote:
I guess maturity is not a requirement for posting here.
"Len" is actually Lyn, shortened from Lynwood.
What do YOU know RETARD!! You are prob shopping at Harris Teeter and because of YOU, YOU put them out of business!!!
Resident Alien

Washington, DC

#12 Dec 21, 2011
Mother Theresa wrote:
<quoted text>
What do YOU know RETARD!! You are prob shopping at Harris Teeter and because of YOU, YOU put them out of business!!!
This is why kids shouldn't have online access.

Wow, I, one person, put them out of business? I had no idea I had such power. I've been shopping at Selby's all my life and went to school with their children.

Try to wrap your head around this. After many years of loyalty from customers, the Selby's don't have the decency to at least tell their customers what is going on? Did they do something they are ashamed of? Was there a chance that the community could have helped them out? Is it fair to leave us wondering if they will even be open today? Tomorrow?
Mother Theresa

United States

#13 Dec 21, 2011
Resident Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why kids shouldn't have online access.
Wow, I, one person, put them out of business? I had no idea I had such power. I've been shopping at Selby's all my life and went to school with their children.
Try to wrap your head around this. After many years of loyalty from customers, the Selby's don't have the decency to at least tell their customers what is going on? Did they do something they are ashamed of? Was there a chance that the community could have helped them out? Is it fair to leave us wondering if they will even be open today? Tomorrow?
I agree with the Illegal Alien!! Selby's should have reached out to us. I heard the Lisa was tanked at the Chink's bar the other day and told everyone they just bought an island in Jamica. Store closes on Jan 5 and Seblby be sun tanning on Jan 6!! Whole Foods in looking to move in.
Philbert Hanscom

United States

#14 Dec 26, 2011
They should have asked for help and advice on how to run a store. Busted my ass for three summmers in a 7-11 in Rockville so I know how to run a simple goddamm grocery store. I offered advice for $630 an hour way back but was turned down.:(, now look at them!! SAD
Harriet Tubman

Washington, DC

#15 Jan 2, 2012
I spoke to the fat kid that bags and he said that the is getting paid in "chunky bars" and "popcorn balls" but he is fine with that. Now they charge $7 dollars a bag and $50 bucks per purchase if the conveyor belt moves.
George Bailey

United States

#16 Jan 11, 2012
Hee-Haw everyone!! Happy New Year!! Been very busy back working with Mr. Gower (he stopped drinking!).
Anyway I was stopped in Selbys the other day by the skinny white, long haired "Crack Head" Gentlemen that polishes the tomatoes. He told me he saw Bruce and Lisa trying on a Giant Food Uniform in the back room. Now you all know me and I am NOT one for gossip and you must consider the source. This is coming from a fellow that wanted to bet me $100 that his team (The Steelers) will take it all the way. I gently pointed out that they lost this past week to Denver. With his glazed over eyes he stuttered, "I have NOT heard that" as he pulled out a wad of $100 dollar bills (I think I know what he does part time). He told me to put up or shut up so I am taking the bet. Lesson for the day Kids: Up with HOPE and Down with DOPE!!!
Disappointed

Poolesville, MD

#18 Jan 23, 2012
Just so you people know:
Selby's moved in 1996 because the town population was projected to rise well above 10,000 people but then the commissioners nixed that and capped population. But they nixed it well after the Selby's moved there. Yes they sent out the letter saying they were struggling and put the suggestion boxes out. ost of the suggestions were either terrible or people didn't understand that they were hurting for money (Put in a Starbucks, Fill the shelves, Topless cashiers). It was going to be a tough task for them with competitive business like Wal-Mart, Costco/Sams Club, and the numerous other chain grocery stores. But Selby's Market is one of the keys in this "Small Town" as we so like to refer to Poolesville as.

For Harriet Tubman who posted, you should feel awful. "That fat kid" that you are talking about is and has been a long time resident who is mentally handicap. Hope you feel real good about yourself.

For Philbert Hanscome who posted, you are insane. They did ask for help in May of 2010 and how does working three summers at a 7-11 compare to running a grocery store?

To go online a talk trash about the Selby's is childish. They have been a staple in this community for years and have given back and done service to this town which is maybe rivaled by one or two more families. They are family to lots of people in this town.

I hope you individuals who have chosen to trash talk them on here enjoy your rides to wherever you choose to go now because that local business will not be there when its winter and a blizzard has hit Poolesville dumping a foot and a half of snow on the ground and you can't get anywhere except Selby's which was the only thing open. And also, enjoy the fireworks and all the other countless events that the Selby family has sponsored and donated to over the years.

And I am sure some of you were there today tossing items into your cart, and then complaining in line because the line was so long. Thanks from us regulars. It was good to see you for the first time in a year.
also disappointed

Poolesville, MD

#19 Jan 24, 2012
I completely agree with you Disappointed. It's a very sad day for Poolesville and we will miss Selby's terribly--the familiar faces and friendly management and cashiers! Selby's is a veritable institution here and I was reminded yesterday that they have been in business for 66 years!

I almost signed on with the same nic yesterday but thought better than to dignify the discussion with a comment. Since you have spoken up I will add my voice.

I consider the downturn in the economy to have played a significant part in this outcome. It was destined to become a vicious cycle once it became difficult to keep the shelves stocked. But we continued to shop there to support the local economy and remained regulars.

Wishing them all the best.

Mama Boe

Dunn Loring, VA

#20 Jan 25, 2012
Its an interesting choice, expending energy to pull others down. I'm willing to bet that those criticizing above have not lived perfect lives. Its a wonder they feel that it is their responsibility to judge.

Delighting in other's pain is always ugly. There is never a good reason for it.

You could choose to spend your time lifting people up, encouraging them, giving to them, and helping them. Or you could choose to be unkind as you have been here.

I have not known Lisa long, but what I have known has been kind, helpful, sincere, and an awfully hard worker. I wish her and her family only blessings from here on out.
Slim pickins

United States

#21 Jan 25, 2012
WOW this just pissed me off bad ! Selby's has been a part of poolesville for a long ass time and when times get hard you people want to talk trash. It makes me sick! My mom worked there for 13 years and allways talks about the great friends and people she had met there. Is this how we treat OUR OWN when times are ruff . Come on people !
Selbys Lover

Sykesville, MD

#22 Jan 25, 2012
EFFF all you tards. You have NO idea what you are missing out on. A communties family run business is something you don't see anymore. I guess if you are a fan of going to a corporate business run by Amir or Jose or foreign people earning money that you could be making, than bitch away. American's are RIDICIULOUS and do not realize what they throw away by not supporting. The selby's were amazing, are amazing people, and I hurt for them. How dare you blasphem a family who kept the American Dream alive. I think you should go ahead and enjoy your corporate scum sucking foreign ass industries....where your fruit is covered in arsenic, your meats are handled by 4 different dirty 1st party hands, THAN by non educated, filthy, disease carrying cutting it.

Shame on you all for throwing away a piece of history- something that most selfish ignorant and non educated Americans do. I hope you get cancer and/or salmonella or a horrible disease from your horrible karma that you are facing from writing false statements...also for slowly taking away AMERICAN CUSTOMS by being so overtaken by corporate industries. Know your sources and OPEN YOUR EYES. You're getting RULED by the government and Big Business. SCREW YOU.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poolesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texting may have caused fatal accident (Feb '15) Aug 8 Harold 10
Zaglio's Bakery Cafe FLUNKED AND WILL CLOSE!! (Jan '17) Jul '17 Len S 8
Review: BMI Karate/iLoveKickboxing (May '15) Apr '17 Niki T 30
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Bill Grimes-Wyatt 20
Poll Have you had poor service from MTM Management ? (Jan '09) Mar '17 636breezy 18
News Man Dies In Motorcycle Accident In Germantown (May '10) Jan '17 Tim the Bagger 21
We are SHUTTING DOWN THE BARGER SHOP (Dec '16) Dec '16 Valerie D 1

Poolesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poolesville Mortgages