If a hurricane comes, what could you ...

If a hurricane comes, what could you expect?

There are 10 comments on the jacksonville.com story from May 29, 2009, titled If a hurricane comes, what could you expect?. In it, jacksonville.com reports that:

Hurricanes can come in many different sizes, shapes and strengths. While each storm is an individual, here's a look at what we might experience if our area received the maximum impact from a direct hit by a tropical cyclone, based on its Saffir Simpson Scale category.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at jacksonville.com.

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#1 May 29, 2009
Probably the same thing that happens every time a hurricane comes.
Itchy

Jacksonville, FL

#2 May 29, 2009
I plan on staying in my home, even though they will tell everyone to leave days in advance. I will then climb into the attic if the water rises too much, climb out onto the roof, and paint a giant HELP on the roof. I will wait to get rescued and then chant HELP, HELP !! whenever I see a TV camera. I will then wait for Hussein Obama to come and save the day and bail me out.

Oh wait, hasn't this been tried before??
Wise1

Jacksonville, FL

#3 May 30, 2009
I rode out Wima in my apartment, yeah my complex looked like bagdad when she was done, but we made due. No electric for 3 weeks, water from the tap could not be trusted, but we made due.

Big clue: Keep a grill handy they really do help when you have to cook and have no electricity. Hobo dinners work great for this so keep plenty of foil around too.

If you plan wisely it really is not that bad even with a cat 3. It is for this reason that I learned early on do not situate out of town, when considering a new place to live, scout out how many retail stores , hospitals and fire departments are in the general area, trust me you will get electricity up faster the closer you are to these places.

Now if you live near the beach please please if they call for mandatory evacuation get to higher ground, I will never advocate ignoring an evacuation order. It is just plain common sense to do as you are instructed, those instructions are there for your safety and well being.

If they were to say something is coming in at a 4 heck yes I would be getting the He!! out of dodge, these storms are nothing to sneeze at or play with, even a 3 can do massive damage if it hits in the right area at the right time.

Just use common sense and you will be ok
scott1

AOL

#4 May 30, 2009
i would expect tim dumbass deegan to say it was going to miss jax by 500 miles.
Fernandina Washed Away

Louisa, KY

#5 Aug 23, 2010
Well if a hurricane hits Fernandina Beach, I see major lives lost and major devastation. I remember when I lived there and they gave everybody a test before the season. Hmmm....Nassau county failed miserably. So if one is within 300 miles, my a** would be out of town before they close the bridge between fernandina and yulee.
Dan H

Bradenton, FL

#6 Aug 23, 2010
scott1 wrote:
i would expect tim dumbass deegan to say it was going to miss jax by 500 miles.
If jacksonville gets hit by a hurricane Timmy deegan will have an orgasm so strong it will be heard 500 miles away.
He asks Santa for a Jacksonville hurricane every year.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#7 Aug 23, 2010
Short Version of the logics house Hurricane preparedness plan:

Cat 1. Go buy hamburger and hot dogs and an extra bottle of Propane for the grill.

Cat 2. Go buy some steaks, Potatoes and fresh vegetables and an extra bottle of Propane for the grill.

Cat 3.5 or above –
If landfall is projected north of say Fernandina, we will get the homestead storm ready bring over the family and the required provisions.

If landfall is projected north Ormond Beach to Fernandina, we are making reservations at Disney World for a couple of days and getting the heck out of here after getting the homestead storm ready.
Hurricane

Jacksonville, FL

#8 Sep 18, 2010
Florida scars us, that's why we turn north before getting there.
noshellswill

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Sep 18, 2010
If one of those big-number-fives takes a midnight left_hand_turn and comes roaring in at 155 MPH over the NB bridge ... I'd predict 25,000 dead.

5% get out: 10% are prepared: 15% get lucky. Then ~500,000 are at-risk and ~ 5% of them die. Most die horribly. Any questions ??
yepp

Branford, FL

#10 Sep 29, 2010
im guessing some rain/thunder/lighting duh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ponte Vedra Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) 19 hr vortex 9,952
News Candidates qualify for local elections; write-i... Sat Politicalgames 1
Guadalupe rodriguez,Maria Rodriguez about Marce... Fri 8itch 1
News Volusia to get its 1st VyStar branch Thu Richard Move 2
I am interested in Buying -- Diabetic Test Stri... (Oct '08) Jun 23 Lyndsey 3
black men white women (Aug '11) Jun 23 Adventurous couple 40
Does anyone know Joan and Debra Jun 21 Tried 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ponte Vedra Beach Mortgages