Crime on Indian reservations gets new...

Crime on Indian reservations gets new attention from White House

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 20, 2009, titled Crime on Indian reservations gets new attention from White House. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

On just a single day this year on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in northern Minnesota, police and investigators received emergency calls about a suicide, a homicide, three stabbings, two shootings and multiple incidents of domestic violence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 21, 2009
What the AP failed to report here is the fact that tribal governments, including that in Red Lake, often shun outside assistance from law enforcement agencies. It's hard to investigate crimes and prosecute them when the people you're trying to help tell you they don't need it.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#2 Aug 21, 2009
It's all whity's fault, we are told they are their own nation, but they can't control their own people. I don't want to hear how we abused the Indian. Nobody on this earth today, had a damn thing to do with killing Indians, or screwing them out of their land, which they didn't own anyway. How about some leadership on the part of the elders? How about some accountability on the part of the people doing these things? How about some sharing of the wealth among the Indian nation?
ironcheffan

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 21, 2009
The problem is no one wants to start where the crimes start. When you have elected officials and police who take bribes, and misuse tribal funds, what do you expect? There has been crime on the reservations for years. But it all starts with those in charge. When those elected into office are stealing from their own people to protect the wrongdoers, what do you think is going to happen? These problems will never be addressed properly because people still have such a negative view on reservations. That is the way our government has been since we were founded as a country. If the federal government has finally said let's fix the problem they need to start with themselves. They have guilty of crime and violence for generations, and haven't been held accountable for their actions. So how do you expect to be surprised by the crime, drugs, and violence that is there now, because of how our government views the Native peoples? If you treat people like they are animals, they will behave that way! Before anyone argues my comment, get your facts straight. Even as far back as the 1970's and 1980's there has been discrimination against Indians, Even now there is an innocent man in jail for crimes he didn't commit!
ironcheffan

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Aug 21, 2009
motley larry wrote:
It's all whity's fault, we are told they are their own nation, but they can't control their own people. I don't want to hear how we abused the Indian. Nobody on this earth today, had a damn thing to do with killing Indians, or screwing them out of their land, which they didn't own anyway. How about some leadership on the part of the elders? How about some accountability on the part of the people doing these things? How about some sharing of the wealth among the Indian nation?
You should do some research before you speak,there is still theft and discrimination now! The government still steals land from reservations, and still keep native peoples down. Check historical accounts from the 1970's and 1980's. Even into the 1990's for that matter! Look at both sides of the story, and don't believe everything the government says, THE GOVERNMENT LIES TO THEIR PEOPLE EVERYDAY!!!!! Do want to be a sheep and follow blindly or do you want the truth? If you want to actually try to prove what you think you know make sure your facts are straight before you say anything. The truth of the matter is most reservations are poor and don't see most of the money from their casinos. Mystic Lake and Treasure Island, along with a select few who share the wealth. Go to the library or on-line and do further research, because I know first hand how reservation life is, and how our government treats it's Native peoples.

Since: Jun 09

Olathe, KS

#5 Aug 21, 2009
ironcheffan wrote:
<quoted text>You should do some research before you speak,there is still theft and discrimination now! The government still steals land from reservations, and still keep native peoples down. Check historical accounts from the 1970's and 1980's. Even into the 1990's for that matter! Look at both sides of the story, and don't believe everything the government says, THE GOVERNMENT LIES TO THEIR PEOPLE EVERYDAY!!!!! Do want to be a sheep and follow blindly or do you want the truth? If you want to actually try to prove what you think you know make sure your facts are straight before you say anything. The truth of the matter is most reservations are poor and don't see most of the money from their casinos. Mystic Lake and Treasure Island, along with a select few who share the wealth. Go to the library or on-line and do further research, because I know first hand how reservation life is, and how our government treats it's Native peoples.
I grew up on a reservation as well, and I also know how the people treat each other. It's disgusting. It is the actual root of the problem.
NightRider

Waterloo, IA

#6 Aug 21, 2009
#1 The past, regardless of what was done has NO BEARING on the Native American on Native American crime being perpetrated on reservations.
#2 If you want American law enforcement assistance, you should have to pay for it just as American taxpayers do.
#3 With all the money Native Casinos are bringing in...you can buy the land back.
#4 QUIT WHINING!!!
NightRider

Waterloo, IA

#7 Aug 21, 2009
Oh, I forgot one thing...
#5 Get a job. That's one way to pick you own self up out of pverty.
Cory

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Aug 27, 2009
NightRider wrote:
#1 The past, regardless of what was done has NO BEARING on the Native American on Native American crime being perpetrated on reservations.
#2 If you want American law enforcement assistance, you should have to pay for it just as American taxpayers do.
#3 With all the money Native Casinos are bringing in...you can buy the land back.
#4 QUIT WHINING!!!
Here are some answers or comments to the above:
#1 Of course it doesn't have a bearing on that. It is all people involved...and the Bureau of Indian Affairs should now keep their nose out of our business and leave us the hell alone...
#2 I believe we all pay taxes in this country, just because some people live on the reservatin does not mean that they do not pay taxes. We all report to the IRS, which is under the federal government.
#3 We probably don't want the CORRUPTED land back... it now very filthy and now you are offering back... What r who are you? A crook again...
#4 We do not whine... we have been survivors all along. We live the hard life and you shouldn't say that about people. Remember we are all human beings trying to make a living. Remember the saying "What goes around comes around". Hopefully, you will understand this when you too get in a hardship situation. May you walk in a clear state of mind and always be humble and try not to put people down and they are also called humans as well. I really don't know where you are coming from, maybe you're one of those spoiled brats where your parents provided everything for you... I feel sorry for you.. Hopefully you see the light somewhere and get your head out of your butt hole!!
NightRider

Waterloo, IA

#9 Aug 31, 2009
Cory,
Spolied Brat? I think not. I have been on my own since I was 16 years old. I come from a disfunctional family (alchoholic parent) and have held full time jobs all my life - starting at age 13. Handed everything? NOT!!! I have worked my rear end off for everything I now have. I own my own home, a couple vehicles, & 2 motorcycles. I have NEVER collected any kind of support from the government - and have nNEVER received unemployment benefits.

My issues with much of this is that people seem to think that just because they happen to be on the planet - you are owed something. Try getting off you butt and get a job!!!
Sam

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Aug 31, 2009
Bro spend time on a Federal Grand Jury as a juror and came away saying "Stay away from the Red Lake Res".

I read a story about Red Lake where a new State Trooper made the mistake of following a native onto the Res for a traffic stop. The native overpowered the Trooper, took all her clothes off, handcuffer her nude to the trailer hitch on her car and left her there.

Guess that's the new way of scalping a whitey.

Nice people!

rez what

United States

#11 Jan 5, 2010
NightRider wrote:
Oh, I forgot one thing...
#5 Get a job. That's one way to pick you own self up out of pverty.
that should turn into a famouse quote....well said
rez what

United States

#12 Jan 5, 2010
un-real.
Steven

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jun 16, 2012
NightRider wrote:
Oh, I forgot one thing...
#5 Get a job. That's one way to pick you own self up out of pverty.
Actually Redlake Gaming doesn't bring bring in a lot of revenue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ponemah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2nd union backs Kelliher in Minn. governor's race (Nov '09) Oct '15 Reality-based 47
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
News Feds, tribal police target heroin ring centered... (Jun '15) Jun '15 foundation rj 1
News Struggling schools leverage arts to improve stu... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Capt Crunch 10
Byron Smith Victim of home invasions (May '14) May '14 shocked in Califo... 2
Review: Alice @107.7 Request Line Request Line (Oct '13) Apr '14 shelby 2
free money!! (Nov '11) Nov '11 rolltide 1

Ponemah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ponemah Mortgages