Lawyer fears worst for man convicted in death of NY trooper

Full story: Newsday.com 6
A defense attorney says he expects prosecutors to seek a lengthy sentence for a motorcyclist blamed for the death of a state trooper during a chase through countryside villages that reached 100 mph. Full Story
Noel Johnson

Rome, NY

#1 Feb 14, 2007
The penalty that James Carncross is facing is outrageous. Certainly he is guilty of speeding, but Trooper Todeschini exhibited EXTREMELY POOR JUDGEMENT in attempting to engage in a HIGH-SPEED CHASE with what essentially is a race-worthy motorcycle - with his own standard-duty patrol SUV. NOBODY wants to say it, least of all any of his "brother" Troopers, but Todeschini was most certainly involved in a high-adrenaline, "macho" race with country kid Carncross. Todeschini could have radioed ahead to other law enforcement equipped with lower center-of-gravity, faster, SAFER chase units (i.e.: the high-speed interceptor Camaro Trooper units). He did not. NOBODY who has significant driving experience would attempt to chase and catch a speeding motorcycle with a clumsy SUV. TODESCHINI WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. HIS DEATH IS THE CONSEQUENCE OF HIS OWN POOR JUDGEMENT.

The local Troopers will certainly not admit this fact. Local law enforcement are hanging together, and they want to make an example of Carncross. The Judge who sentenced Carncross is cultivating his political favor with the local Troopers, as is the District Attorney. They are sending a reckless country kid to prison for 7 years, where he will lose a decade of life, and return to the community as a HARDENED CRIMINAL.

Sincerely, Noel Johnson
mary

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Feb 14, 2007
Noel Johnson wrote:
The penalty that James Carncross is facing is outrageous. Certainly he is guilty of speeding, but Trooper Todeschini exhibited EXTREMELY POOR JUDGEMENT in attempting to engage in a HIGH-SPEED CHASE with what essentially is a race-worthy motorcycle - with his own standard-duty patrol SUV. NOBODY wants to say it, least of all any of his "brother" Troopers, but Todeschini was most certainly involved in a high-adrenaline, "macho" race with country kid Carncross. Todeschini could have radioed ahead to other law enforcement equipped with lower center-of-gravity, faster, SAFER chase units (i.e.: the high-speed interceptor Camaro Trooper units). He did not. NOBODY who has significant driving experience would attempt to chase and catch a speeding motorcycle with a clumsy SUV. TODESCHINI WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. HIS DEATH IS THE CONSEQUENCE OF HIS OWN POOR JUDGEMENT.
The local Troopers will certainly not admit this fact. Local law enforcement are hanging together, and they want to make an example of Carncross. The Judge who sentenced Carncross is cultivating his political favor with the local Troopers, as is the District Attorney. They are sending a reckless country kid to prison for 7 years, where he will lose a decade of life, and return to the community as a HARDENED CRIMINAL.
Sincerely, Noel Johnson
You're right about the poor judgment issue--and the "brotherhood" would never admit it.
unidenified

Syracuse, NY

#3 Jul 15, 2007
I feel that James Carncross is getting all but what he deserves. Carncross admitted in his arrest statment that he saw the troopers lights and heard his seirns. Meaning all he had to do was pull over and none of this would have happened. DON'T EVER EVER EVER DISRESPECT THE REPUTATION OF THE BEST TROOPER NEW YORK STATE HAS EVER SEEN AGAIN A DAY IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!! He died doing his job and Carncross is getting off with a slap on the wrist. Next time you write an article about a good officer that died doing his job, don't run your mouth the wrong way!!!
Lawrence brown

United States

#4 Jul 19, 2007
Why are most of the people blaming the law for this accident. When this person decided to run from the law he became responsible for anything that happened. These men and women put their lives on line everyday to protect to rest of us who chose to obey the laws of this land. The choice he made was a bad one that only he made and will have to live with. Without law we would be another third world country, think about that.
A Time Fogotten

AOL

#6 Jul 20, 2007
Lawrence brown wrote:
Why are most of the people blaming the law for this accident. When this person decided to run from the law he became responsible for anything that happened. These men and women put their lives on line everyday to protect to rest of us who chose to obey the laws of this land. The choice he made was a bad one that only he made and will have to live with. Without law we would be another third world country, think about that.
You go Mr.Brown!! I agree with you! See the people in these area's don't alsways see the real world we live in!
withheld

United States

#7 Aug 10, 2007
I have heard both sides that James is at fault and i have heard that craig is at fault. My thought is yes, Craig shouldn't have gone so fast, but James is the reason he was going so fast. James is at fault. As "unidentified" said James is only getting a slap on the wrist. I feel that James' punishment should have been alot more. He was responsible for the death a a police officer. Polices Do put there life on the line everyday for us. So that citizeans like us have a safe community to raise our families. So next time u see a police why not thank them for doing the great job that they do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Clinton Street Spa (Jan '09) 56 min soaps guy 22 45
E. Syracuse man, woman charged with murdering m... Dec 15 Streetrunner 2
Groups plan tiny houses in Syracuse, some as sm... Dec 15 Streetrunner 1
U.S. Navy Blue Angels to perform in Syracuse in... Dec 15 Streetrunner 1
Brindisi to introduce "Zone Pricing Laws" to co... Dec 15 Nose Picking Utican 67
SRC, Inc. Layoffs Dec 13 Fracker 3
Olinsky looks dumb Dec 12 Competency 2
Pompey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pompey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pompey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pompey

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News