rocked!

Charlie Pickett hates to admit that at his age he still has heroes. But if asked, the 53-year-old West Palm Beach lawyer will name them: The Kids, Z-Cars, Slyder, Critical Mass, Tight Squeeze and the Cichlids ... Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dave

Denver, CO

#1 Jan 24, 2007
Good times. I still have the Critical Mass album on vinyl! Also can't forget about Stranger, the best club band of the 80's.
Charlie Pickett

Hollywood, FL

#2 Jan 24, 2007
Thank you Sean. Very kind.
John Harrington

Arroyo Grande, CA

#3 Jan 24, 2007
Sheila was the most amazing, free spirited,
loving, nurturing, fun loving friend I have ever had. I miss her very much.
There is so much more i would like to share
but I think I will save that for my next get together with her son and my brother Bruce.
SPEEDO

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jan 24, 2007
ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS GROUPS THAT WASN'T MENTIONED IN THIS ARTICLE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN,WAS A GROUP CALLED FREE WHEEL. LED BY KEYBOARDIST AND VOCALIST RONNIE PICCOLO AND GUITARIST,DINO PAOLILLO.MERCURY RECORDING ARTIST WHO PREVIOUSLY PERFORMED WITH BANDS SUCH AS ROD STEWART, DEEP PURPLE, SANTANA,EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER TO NAME A FEW. THEY FORMED FREE WHEEL IN SOUTH FLORIDA IN 1975 THRU-1985. FREE WHEEL PLAYED AT ALL HOT SPOTS INCLUDING THE AGORA BALLROOM., THEY WERE KNOWN FOR THEIR FLASHY LEAD VOCALIST MATT STANLEY AND THEIR HARD DRIVING SOUND.
GINO CC

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jan 24, 2007
FREE WHEEL WAS A GREAT BAND. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE THEM PERFORM AT THIS BENEFIT
roger c

Studio City, CA

#6 Jan 24, 2007
in
Robert Sellers

United States

#7 Jan 24, 2007
I was living in Miami back in the heyday of those bands. Yes, some of them were pretty good and had some realatively seasoned songwriting, however in retrospect, was it really anything more "magical" than what other youth experienced across America in their respective home towns... Probably not.

I've seen the scene throughout the years in Miami/Ft Laud, Dallas, Asheville, New York and at time L.A.

If all of these bands were so original, then why didn't any of them make a mark in the business?

How was it that Brian Warner managed to figure it out and become Marilyn Manson? And how could a chunky Cuban guy with a big cowboy hat front a country band from Miami that would become international stars (The Mavericks). The truth probably is that the last two examples probably worked a bit harder, probably learned how to see an opportunity on the horizon, and didn't allow their ego to dislodge the steps of the ladder to success.

This same story is probably told and re-told in a variety of Metropolitan cities across the US, anywhere where there are kids, drinks, bars and drugs mixing with music... That's the reality of it.

R.S.
brett randell

Mount Dora, FL

#8 Jan 24, 2007
we were managed by cheryl kane . a big loss to the scene when she left John Tovar to hold the flame. we broke up like spinal tap{drummer} or you might say throne sitters that begat egos.but egos broke us up . now I own recording studio .the rest of the guys expected fame with one year of work.
brett randell

Mount Dora, FL

#9 Jan 24, 2007
FROM DRAGONFLY!
Sean Piccoli

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 24, 2007
A postscript to the story (albeit kind of a lengthy one)

http://blogs.trb.com/music/blog/piccoli/
Shelter

United States

#12 Jan 25, 2007
Whatever you may think about THOSE bands, that's up to you. But to see a reunion of The Cichlids, Z-Cars, and Charlie Pickett is worth more than the ticket price.

It's OK, it's a personal thing.
If you weren't there, you wouldn't know...
clint

Sarasota, FL

#13 Jan 25, 2007
charlie we missed uou and the eggs.Cant wait till sunday.

Since: Dec 06

Miami, FL

#14 Jan 26, 2007
I will also be there Sunday...
I was a huge fan of The Eat,The Cichlids,Critical Mass,The Front,Z Cars,Etc.. I bought their records and went to see them live at the Button South and/or
when they opened for National Acts...It was the last and only time that I can remember local radio and media support for a local music scene;even if it seemed insufficient at the time...You had WSHE and WVUM with air time dedicated to these bands...local record stores stocking their records and promoting their gigs...Too bad South Florida audiences did not seem to appreciate what we
had down here at the time...I got a little kick when some band members would recognize me and say hello to me...and some bands even autographed stuff for me...I also got mistaken a lot for Mick Fazz(the Critical Mass singer) and Bruno(The drummer for Z Cars and later Critical Mass)(We all had distinctive Afro hairdos on white and somewhat overweight bodies!)
WCH

Hollywood, FL

#15 Jan 26, 2007
A good friend of mine used to work next door to where Mick Fazz and Critical Mass used to rehearse (Mick, if you're watching, remember the electronics store and the D.Q. next door?) Z-Cars (Zed Cars) Tight Squeeze, Jeb Slash OEB... Remember Snatch/Shake (different names)? Like Pickett said, just one year too late...
Stan

O Fallon, MO

#16 Jan 26, 2007
I Lewis Libby Jr wrote:
Freewheel were horrible but then again so were The Kids, Slyder, Critical Mass,and Tight Squeeze. If they were all playing in my backyard I wouldn't look out the window. Anyone who would pay $25-50 to see this bunch of never weres is out of his mind.
Now that Johnny Depp is going to singing with The Kids are they still never weres? Lets not forget that this is about the love of music, paying tribute to a freind and raising money for charity. So get your head out of your a** stick it out the window and enjoy the show.
john

Gainesville, FL

#17 Jan 26, 2007
does anybody else remember going to johnson st.
big daddy's or the tight squeeze club on
hollywood beach? good times,good times indeed!!
KRC

Houston, TX

#18 Jan 27, 2007
this is so awesome! Id just about give my left ovary (or perhaps something more valuable) to be there, but I wont be making it.
Ive lived in Houston for 20-some-odd years but I grew up in Miami and I lived in G'ville during those, uhm, fuzzy years... late 70's, early 80's. Wonder what ever happened to Ralph Box? lol. Im also a huge Johnny fan and thot Id let y'all know Word is Out on the internet in the fanz-sites. Hope they have adequate security for the event! Radio interview (1/26) is out there too, somewhere.
Im sure funds raised will go to a good cause. Would like to toss in my 2c. Id like to see the SW Group help professional musicians (and their families) obtain quality health care. Not insurance, care. If youre listening. Im married to one (musician that is) and we are SOL in that department, as are most musicians. Anyway, have fun everybody who gets to go. Wear your shades, there's sure to be lots of flashes goin' off! Perhaps earplugs would be more in order. For the screaming when they announce The Kids....KRC
Bill from Country Address

Toronto, Canada

#19 Jan 30, 2007
Generally speaking...Live bands have now sadly been replaced with DJs spinning pre-recorded music at megaclubs

This will be a nice get-together. But, if you really want to date me - how bout Greynolds Park Sundays and free concerts in the Grove. Remember "Echo"? they did one heck of a cover of "I Am The Walrus"!

Don't bogart that joint!
Joyce

Gainesville, FL

#20 Jan 30, 2007
They all rocked! I forgot how much fun it was to feel the blast from the speakers, and how much fun dancing to the the Kid's playlist was. The Kids sounded fantastic! All the bands did!
Bruce, you are the best tribute to your mom.
Mick

Ocala, FL

#21 Feb 10, 2007
Many thanks to all who came out to help remember a wonderful lady. It rocked, and we're gonna do it again next year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,206,070
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min zion 52,255
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr scirocco 69,294
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 2 hr Anne 96,995
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr Brian_G 309,215
News Financial friendship turns sour (Aug '07) 9 hr SMARTEN UP 101
News Massage parlor a brothel, police say (May '07) 15 hr NASH 175
Pompano Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]