Curly-Tailed Lizard Population Threat...

Curly-Tailed Lizard Population Threatens Native Lizards

There are 149 comments on the NBC 6 South Florida story from Mar 16, 2008, titled Curly-Tailed Lizard Population Threatens Native Lizards. In it, NBC 6 South Florida reports that:

In 60 years, an exotic carnivore capable of devouring Florida's native lizards has taken over more than 50 miles of South Florida's urban coastline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 6 South Florida.

wymo

Pompano Beach, FL

#130 Jun 9, 2013
I have lots of those curly tail lizards around my house, they don't bother me, but is really annoying to see their stool ( which is black and white) all over the place. I would like to know why their stool is like that.
gen

North Miami Beach, FL

#131 Jul 17, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
Caught another baby curly tail yesterday. Threw it in the canal. The fish love them. Now my Chameleon population is really starting to grow. They are far more interesting and beautiful to watch than those ugly, aggressive curly tails who poop all over the place . I can't stand them AND they are not native to Fla.
Actually, a lot of the lizards that we see in our yards are not native to Florida. Many are from Cuba, Central and South America & other islands.
gen

North Miami Beach, FL

#132 Jul 17, 2013
wymo wrote:
I have lots of those curly tail lizards around my house, they don't bother me, but is really annoying to see their stool ( which is black and white) all over the place. I would like to know why their stool is like that.
The dark stool is feces, the light -colored stool is actually how they excrete urine. A lot of lizards are like that. Though some of the more common garden lizards have soft or liquid-y stool.
Jim

Cape Canaveral, FL

#137 Jul 27, 2013
From a 6th generation Fl. native, the brown Anoles are not native. The only native Fl. lizard is the the Chameleon. Their population dropped because the Anoles compete with their food source, but so far they all seem to coexist and they all eat bugs which we seem to have plenty of. The more the merrier.
Kill them all

Nassau, Bahamas

#138 Aug 23, 2013
Lol curly killa kill em all...gross looking things,and they are aggressive
Will

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#139 Aug 28, 2013
I saw a curly tail eating a brown anole today. They are an invasive species. Of course, most of the other lizards now here are also invasive. That said, I personally would not use a sticky trap as I consider it inhumane. If you're going to destroy them, it should, IMO, at least be in a humane manner and for reptiles that should mean immediate destruction of the brain.
Eckoner

United States

#140 Sep 2, 2013
Will wrote:
I saw a curly tail eating a brown anole today. They are an invasive species. Of course, most of the other lizards now here are also invasive. That said, I personally would not use a sticky trap as I consider it inhumane. If you're going to destroy them, it should, IMO, at least be in a humane manner and for reptiles that should mean immediate destruction of the brain.
Mayb we should let this invasive species live cuz others live here too and we can all lay down on our back and let lizards run all over us sing kumbaya then once were done missing the point well smarten up and realize any invasive species introduced to our fine state to aid InThe cultivation of crops for someone else $$$$ gain that have now run ramiant are bad for our natural ecosystem Flat out! No matter how fun or cool they seem to be rgat attitude is what causes issues people want the lisards for them and what they do to make them happy! Im sorry but nature works both ways and the "ugly side" of nature still is a side wether it wants to b acknowledged or not!we have a responsability to do right by our environment and nature so that we can enjoy and coexist for years to come alone with put childern and childerns childern!. Idk about but some of my fondest childhood memories were catching and releasing native lisards with my older brother and i for one dont want to deprive my childern that right to be part of there surrounding nature by allowing the catastrophy of a invasive species to distroy a population of lizards who have the right to thrive here! So i for one own a blow dart gun and at every opportuinity i euphanize curlytails with impunity! By the archaic way of impalement to kill or stun followed by the same respect they show out native lizards !! which is No RESPECT ! also hippies fuck uselfs and mayb try reality on for size!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141 Sep 4, 2013
Here in Lake Worth, we had a 14" Lizard in the backyard, with a more dinosaur shaped head and the ability to run standing up.....
Doors Groupie

Miami, FL

#142 Sep 5, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Here in Lake Worth, we had a 14" Lizard in the backyard, with a more dinosaur shaped head and the ability to run standing up.....
Jim Morrison had a 14 inch Lizard. He was the Lizard King.
cstaw

Pompano Beach, FL

#143 Oct 6, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
Well the curlytails left my roof but now they live under the pool pump and the air conditioning unit. They are so fast...they see you coming and they run. Of course, I had three chameleons and those fu$*#s ate them. Hardly any brown lizards left after the cold winter. I hate CT. We have got to eradicate those nasty things.
100% agree with you
Tom

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#144 Oct 8, 2013
I live in Fort Lauderdale and have been having to deal with these nasty curly tails for the last 5 years and thay are surly multiplying by a vast percentage, thay have found their way into my enclosed garage where thay seem to like to hang out alot and of course POOP, POOP, POOP! Thay are also mutiplying on the side of my house in my citrus/veggi garden and before the veggies can become mature plant height and survive on their own the S.O.B. Curly-tails are eating all the leaves off the young plants, last but not least they also hang out around my pool/patio area and POOP,POOP,POOP there too. I'm sorry to the very few so called do-gooders on this blog and how thay don't understand just HOW BAD these curly-tails can really get once thay have multiplied like crazy around your own home, and believe me since you do-gooders really feel thay are soooooooooooo cute and so friendly and nice to have around your house then I can't stress enough when I ask you to feel more then free to come to my house, capture all of these horrible creatures and take them all back to your homes where I'm sure you will give them all a wonderful and joyus place to live. Untill then, I will kill, kill, kill these non native Florida s.o.b.'s 1 by 1,,,next thing ya' know these lizards from Haiti will be looking for welfare handouts and illeagal U.S. citizenships with free healthcare next!!! Curly-tail lizards are cute my butt!!

Location hidden

#145 Oct 9, 2013
I'm in the Wellington area and have had a strange lizard, straight tail.....about 16-18 inches long with a strange, triangle shaped head....run's standing up, on his hind legs alone.....
Curly-Tail Lover

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#146 Oct 9, 2013
["Tom"]I live in Fort Lauderdale and have been having to deal with these nasty curly tails for the last 5 years and thay are surly multiplying by a vast percentage, thay have found their way into my enclosed garage where thay seem to like to hang out alot and of course POOP, POOP, POOP! Thay are also mutiplying on the side of my house in my citrus/veggi garden and before the veggies can become mature plant height and survive on their own the S.O.B. Curly-tails are eating all the leaves off the young plants, last but not least they also hang out around my pool/patio area and POOP,POOP,POOP there too.".....
To "Tom" - Apparently you have mistaken the much larger green Iguanas (mature ones, can be several feet or more in length) with the so much smaller (approx. 7" long) brown Curly-Tail lizards!
First of all - it is the green Iguanas that are 'Herbivores'(main diet of plants, flowers, etc.) and NOT the Curly-Tails which are 'Insectivores'(diet is insects, of course!).
And if you are seeing LARGE piles of POOP all around - then, again, it is from a much larger lizard AND not the small Curly-Tails! Their poop is not much longer than 1/2''!
As for those of you,(including you, Tom) who've commented on this site - with all of your misconceptions about Florida lizards (native or non-native)- why not try to 'google' these lizards & find a legitimate site for info about Florida animals (reptiles)- so that you will quit making complete fools of yourselves, concerning these creatures.
Tom

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#148 Oct 10, 2013
Hello {Curly-Tail Lover}, Just to start off and get right to the point "YOU ARE THE ONE WHO LOOKS LIKE A FOOL!" If you are as smart and informative as you think you" which you clearly are not" you would do more research on websites about the CurlyTail and learn that they do eat at the leaves on plants to get the moisture from the leaves/plants which they need to survive, it is a fact that yes their main diet is small insects but they also need liquids to survive just as people do. As far as your telling me I must not be able to tell the difference between the CurlyTails and the Green Iguana's your wrong there as well as my house is located on waterfront property and I dozens and dozens of Iguanas around my yard which just love to sunbath on my dock and also come up and sunbath around my pool/patio area and after my Collie died 5 years ago from ingestion the lethal fluids the Iguanas give of from their skin just minutes after decomposing I certainly have no problem at all killing the Iguanas one by one esp. since Broward County has approved of it due to their vast population just as the CurlyTails have increased. Let me guess CurlyTail Lover, you are also quite fond of Roaches and Termites as well and think we should protect them also. ONE OF US ARE FOOLS AND IT SURE ISN'T ME!!!, GET A LIFE CURLYTAIL NUTCASE!
Curly-Tail Lover wrote:
["Tom"]I live in Fort Lauderdale and have been having to deal with these nasty curly tails for the last 5 years and thay are surly multiplying by a vast percentage, thay have found their way into my enclosed garage where thay seem to like to hang out alot and of course POOP, POOP, POOP! Thay are also mutiplying on the side of my house in my citrus/veggi garden and before the veggies can become mature plant height and survive on their own the S.O.B. Curly-tails are eating all the leaves off the young plants, last but not least they also hang out around my pool/patio area and POOP,POOP,POOP there too.".....
To "Tom" - Apparently you have mistaken the much larger green Iguanas (mature ones, can be several feet or more in length) with the so much smaller (approx. 7" long) brown Curly-Tail lizards!
First of all - it is the green Iguanas that are 'Herbivores'(main diet of plants, flowers, etc.) and NOT the Curly-Tails which are 'Insectivores'(diet is insects, of course!).
And if you are seeing LARGE piles of POOP all around - then, again, it is from a much larger lizard AND not the small Curly-Tails! Their poop is not much longer than 1/2''!
As for those of you,(including you, Tom) who've commented on this site - with all of your misconceptions about Florida lizards (native or non-native)- why not try to 'google' these lizards & find a legitimate site for info about Florida animals (reptiles)- so that you will quit making complete fools of yourselves, concerning these creatures.
mg Cape Coral Fl

Cape Coral, FL

#149 Oct 24, 2013
I Live in Cape Coral, Fl SW Fl . I have had curly tailed lizards living here about six yrs now along with our normal lizards, I have never seen them go after the other lizards they all hang out all over the screens, driveway, and rocks together. I have not had to use bug spray around my house in all that time a great natural bug control, they hibernate under the soil in the winter , one got into my back closed in laini and I captured it on a sticky pad for rats I then felt bad so I soaked it off and released outside again it lost its tail, oh well, just did not want in my home outside is fine . but time of year when doors and windows open so was afraid would get into house and that is where I draw the line as far as putting up with them .
mg Cape Coral Fl

Cape Coral, FL

#150 Oct 24, 2013
you can use sticky pads for mice or rats to catch by your air conditioner or where ever they are hiding and then dispose of if that is what you want
joemama

Pompano Beach, FL

#151 Oct 30, 2013
Haven't seen any discussion about how destructive these creatures are. They burrow under foundations, into walls, under pavers and anywhere else they can, causing all kinds of damage and expense to homeowners. I have had positive results finding where they reside and placing sticky mouse traps (available at Home Depot) nearby.
wellowman

Donora, PA

#152 Oct 31, 2013
youtube.com/watch... … amazing it is
Eickey

Pompano Beach, FL

#153 Jan 14, 2014
Jules wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen a curly tailed lizzard prey on a native Florida lizzard. I think it is horrible of you to kill the babies!! Who are you to judge such matters? Shame on you.
I just witnessed another killing of a baby gecko by a monstrous curly tail lizard...the tail was still hanging out of his mouth and wiggling as he was chewing on it...gross! They become carnivorous when they grow older and they are not indigenous to FL so therefore they gotta go. At least out of my yard...Hate to kill them but I don't know of any other way.

Location hidden

#154 Jan 14, 2014
We have a new one coming outta the woods, here in Wellington....about 15 inched long, with a head shaped like a triangle.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,420,059
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 29 min Cheffie 70,973
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 98,174
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Actual Science 61,074
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 hr ThomasA 311,628
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump Aug 24 WasteWater 82
Review: I Love Kickboxing Aug 21 Charlie 35

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages