Keep your hazard lights off while driving

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Q : Is it legal to drive with your hazard lights on in the rain? I was taught it was illegal, but there seems to be an increasing number of drivers who use them while driving in the rain.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Live like it's game 7”

Since: Jan 08

Philadelphia,PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

Judged:

I don't take issue with using hazard lights while driving thru heavy rainfall, however, please use the right lane as this is designed for 'slower' traffic,

An irony to this story is the fact that I find more folks fail to use any lights when driving thru rain or at dusk/dawn. I am also puzzled why folks plow thru a ponding lane when there is every opportunity to change lanes and go around the standing water. LoL
Bottom line is,...use some common sense while driving, under all conditions , and everyone can get to where they want to go with that much less aggravation. Put the cell phone away
Pay attention and know where your going
Don't try to be a cop and drive slowly in the middle/left lanes just to show others who's right.
You can only control your actions, not the action of others.
Be safe and God Bless America!
Shutupanddrive

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

Judged:

As a native Marylander, I have seen it all. Fog, Dense smoke, Rain, and of course Snow. Hazard lights are distracting and annoying when driving in this type of weather. Most vehicles lose their turn signals when the hazard lights are engaged, leaving other drivers to "guess" what you are going to do next.
Yes, they are appropriate when you are with slow moving machinery, specifically if you are trying to alert those behind you that there is a slower vehicle in front of you. They are appropriate at a funeral procession, but only if you are asked to do so.(area juristictions are specific, and the traffic director should be savvy enough to know), if you are driving a commercial vehicle and your load (usually weight) prohibits you from maintaining 70% of the posted speed, you are supposed to get in the right lane and use your hazard lights. Lastly, you use them when you are broken down or disabled to keep from getting creamed on the side of the road.

YOU DO NOT USE THEM WHILE DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY!

If you are too afraid to drive in inclement weather, stay at home. I have an hour commute. When the weather is bad, I have to choose whether to drive home or stay in a motel.
Flaco en Miami

Dania, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Most of the people who drive with their flashers on during rain are either from the Caribbean Islands Mon or Hispanics.

The gringos do not drive with their flashers on.
learn how to drive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Ummmmm wrote:
I'm still going to use mine if it is raining really hard.
Get over it.
get off the road if you can't drive. flashing lights are distracting and can cause an accident.
learn how to drive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Ummmmm wrote:
Get over it.
get off the road of you can't drive. if you have to put your hazards on you shouldn't be on the road.
learn how to drive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Blah wrote:
FHP suggests you pull over during a hard rain? Wake up! Nobody does that! The fact is if you and everybody else are driving in a hard rain, you'll spot emergency flashers way before you'll see regular taillights. For visibility reasons, I'm all for changing the law and making it ok to drive in a hard rain with emergency flashers.
if you can't see, why are you on the road. that's why all those people got in huge car pile ups bc people are not smart and don't drive safe. that's why you pull over.. plus people don't even get that you need to turn your lights on when you use your wipers. flashers are distracting and that's the dumbest thing you can do while driving besides being on your phone.
learn how to drive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Judged:

Shutupanddrive wrote:
As a native Marylander, I have seen it all. Fog, Dense smoke, Rain, and of course Snow. Hazard lights are distracting and annoying when driving in this type of weather. Most vehicles lose their turn signals when the hazard lights are engaged, leaving other drivers to "guess" what you are going to do next.
Yes, they are appropriate when you are with slow moving machinery, specifically if you are trying to alert those behind you that there is a slower vehicle in front of you. They are appropriate at a funeral procession, but only if you are asked to do so.(area juristictions are specific, and the traffic director should be savvy enough to know), if you are driving a commercial vehicle and your load (usually weight) prohibits you from maintaining 70% of the posted speed, you are supposed to get in the right lane and use your hazard lights. Lastly, you use them when you are broken down or disabled to keep from getting creamed on the side of the road.
YOU DO NOT USE THEM WHILE DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY!
If you are too afraid to drive in inclement weather, stay at home. I have an hour commute. When the weather is bad, I have to choose whether to drive home or stay in a motel.
amen
anti-hazard driver

Fort Lee, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

bubba wrote:
in a blinding storm hazzards on is the way to go you morons, you idiots dont have enough rough condition road time to know the difference! clown's like you are the same clown's who think we need a law for everything! crawl back under the moron rock and stay there! idiots!
Wow. Bad drivers are apparently also bad spellers.

It is DANGEROUS to drive with your hazards (yes, one "z") in the rain. They are indicative of a mechanical problem, not that it's raining. Your taillights are sufficient. This ought to be a law in every state, and I am not the type of person who is pro-dumb laws.
annoyed

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

The problem is then how to differentiate a car that is pulled over or driving. If a car has its hazards on I assume it is stopped so now I am at risk of getting in an accident for thinking I am approaching a stopped vehicle. Thanks
BocaBoy

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Agreed. Hazards to me mean the person is stopped or broken down. It is really stupid.

But I would like to know why they drive in the left lane slowly with the hazards on. I guess to tell the rest of us THEY are a hazard...
Pat

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Turn on your lights! Not high beams either. hazard flashers are not needed for riving in bad weather or any other driving condictions. If you are that scared, park it. Good wipers, a good Rain-X treatment, good tires and brakes are what one needs to travel safely in all weather conditions. Hazard flashers do not make anything about driving safer.
Keyboard Bully

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

It's an Ignorude thing from P.R.'Cause that's where the Ignorudes come from. So great over there but here they are infesting the state and refusing to abide by the law. Pffttttt!
Monroerich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Your turn signals won't give an indication of a lane change or turn if your hazards are on. This makes driving with hazards on while changing lanes very dangerous. If I can't see all cars around me clearly in the rain I pull over. Hazard lights have never helped me see a car better in the rain, it only makes me think the driver is inexperienced, stupid or ignorant. Like Bubba.
Monroerich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Driving in the Rain
Do you turn your Low Beam Lights on when it Rains?
Q: Is it required to turn your low beam lights on when it rains?
A: Yes! Florida law requires motorists to turn on their headlights any time it rains. The aim is to make it easier for others to see you when visibility is poor.
The safety consideration of driving with headlights on is nothing new. Motorcycles are required to have a headlight on all the time, even in clear daylight. In addition, a number of new cars and trucks are factory equipped with daytime running lights - lowbeam headlights that automatically come on when the vehicle is started, day or night.
All County employees need to be aware of the regulation and get in the habit of turning on their headlights when it rains.
Do you keep your Hazard Lights off while driving in the Rain?
Q: Is it legal to drive with your hazard lights on in the rain?
A: No! Rain or shine, Florida law says keep your hazards off unless you are stalled or sitting on
the side of the road. Hazard lights are only supposed to be used when you are stationary.
Some drivers think it is easier to see and be seen with blinking lights on in a blinding rainstorm, fog or when smoke from a wildfire reduces visibility.
However, hazards disable the turn signals. They also make it harder to tell if the motorist ahead is tapping on the brakes. Other drivers might assume the hazard lights are being properly used and swerve to avoid a vehicle they think has stopped in the highway.
If it is raining too hard to see, the Florida Highway Patrol advises drivers to pull off the road and then turn on your hazards to wait out the storm.
2007 FLORIDA DRIVER'S HANDBOOK
Subpart 3 - Your Driving, Part 3.12 - Reduced Visibility
You must turn on your low beam (dim) headlights when driving between sunset and sunrise, including the twilight hours between sunset and sunrise or between full night and sunrise. You must also use these lights during any rain, smoke or fog. Parking lights do not meet requirements of this law.
Subpart 3 - Your Driving, Part 3.8 - Turn Signals and Emergency Signals
You must use hand signals or directional signals to show that you are about to turn. Turn signals are required when changing lanes or overtaking a vehicle. It is against the law to use your directional signals to tell drivers behind you that they can pass.
flashers should only be used while your vehicle is legally stopped or disabled on the highway or shoulder.
YO VINNIE

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

Ummmmm wrote:
Get over it.
Hazard lights. If you are driving with them on, pull over. You are a hazard.
YO VINNIE

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Flaco en Miami wrote:
Most of the people who drive with their flashers on during rain are either from the Caribbean Islands Mon or Hispanics.
The gringos do not drive with their flashers on.
Yeah....that's they way they did things in their homeland. Well this is not your homeland....so assimulate and do it they way it is supposed to be done here.

I have seen these people pull slightly over to the side in the right lane of a 6 lane highway where the posted speed limit is 45, but many are going faster. Still blocking the right lane, they will stop and let someone out of the car, no where near an intersection and with no emergency taking place,....yet.....
tears scarlet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Ok well the rain thing is one thing but when it comes to fog that rolls in on a day like today (69* and clear skies then at 9pm it turned in to really bad pea soup) I think it would be ok to use the hazards to notify other traffic that you are there. The yellow from the hazards mean caution and slow so in that meaning and sense if your in the right lane go ahead. Id rather see hazards than dead bodies on the road so I say go for it.
Keyboard Bully

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

tears scarlet wrote:
Ok well the rain thing is one thing but when it comes to fog that rolls in on a day like today (69* and clear skies then at 9pm it turned in to really bad pea soup) I think it would be ok to use the hazards to notify other traffic that you are there. The yellow from the hazards mean caution and slow so in that meaning and sense if your in the right lane go ahead. Id rather see hazards than dead bodies on the road so I say go for it.
WRONG! It's against the law!! Hazard lights are for when the vehicle is stationery...which means NOT MOVING!
chuck

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Its always the dumb ass haitens that keep hazzard lights on and it is anoying
chuck

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Its the low life haitens

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pompano Beach Discussions

Search the Pompano Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Half Price Kitchen Bath & Granite (Aug '12) 6 hr RD Ft Lauderdale 5
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 7 hr Panamaed 2,631
FL 'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 14 hr nope 1,788
Police on trail of theft and fraud suspect John... (Feb '09) Tue He Dated my sis 88
leo (Nov '12) Apr 15 Wondering 3
looking for someone (Jul '13) Apr 15 Wondering 2
KFC franchisee buys 14 stores in Palm Beach County Apr 13 who cares 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search