Keep your hazard lights off while driving

Q : Is it legal to drive with your hazard lights on in the rain? I was taught it was illegal, but there seems to be an increasing number of drivers who use them while driving in the rain. Full Story
Edgeman

United States

#45 Sep 26, 2010
Sounds like to me all of you non driving chicken shits think the law doesn't apply to you since you are freaked out by water (H2O) that falls fro the sky. I have an idea. If you get scared to drive in the rain, don't drive. If that means you stay in during the entire summer, stay up north or don't get in your vehicle! The simple fact of the matter is there are more people that can drive in the rain that don't break the law, than people (retards) who feel scared and use there four way blinkers.
Simon

Boca Raton, FL

#46 Sep 28, 2010
Blah wrote:
FHP suggests you pull over during a hard rain? Wake up! Nobody does that! The fact is if you and everybody else are driving in a hard rain, you'll spot emergency flashers way before you'll see regular taillights. For visibility reasons, I'm all for changing the law and making it ok to drive in a hard rain with emergency flashers.
Brilliant = so how do tell who is stopped at the side of the raod? Hazard lights are only to be used when stopped - changing a tire etc. not when, in your opinion it's raining too hard.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#47 Sep 29, 2010
I am an expolice officer from a large dept. in Broward, but it was many years ago. I don't see any problem with using hazard lights, and reducing speed, in very heavy rain, as it increases visability so well. Now, that doesn't mean that the current law, is as such, but i would think the situation would dictate the prudent course of action.......
Howard

Brea, CA

#48 Mar 31, 2011
It dissables your turning signals and gives a false sense of tapping your brakes. Cut it out. You're being less safe to others.
Fl res

Dallas, TX

#49 Jun 13, 2011
We jst drove through a severe storm,including hail. There were many vehicles who pulled over,thank you btw,but many people continued to drive w hazard lights flashing.it is extemely difficult to recognize a vehicle flashing then one using their lights legally and properly.
Heroprop

United States

#50 Jun 26, 2011
Here is a FACT

Hazard lights are harder to process depth perception on. Additionally through traffic it can be more difficult as you can only see half the car because another car is obstructing view. This can give drivers behind you the impresion that your turn signal is on or you are pumping your brakes. The fact is, law or no, they create an unsafe driving condition by confusing other motorist. I don't care how good you think your driving is or if you learned to drive in this state but the FACT is it is unsafe and against the law.
The FMHS

Jupiter, FL

#52 Jul 9, 2011
Auto manuals state that Hazards are for when your car is disabled. If you are driving down the road then your car is NOT disabled. Flashing lights are for emergency, police, road work vehicles and disabled vehicles. Your flashers are your turn signal lights. ALL states in the USA require car manufactures to have turn signals, ALL states in the USA require the use of turn signals when changing lanes and or direction.
If you drive with flashers on, you cannot signal a turn, you are distracting other drivers that are trying to see the road, you are not disabled, and you are showing the world your ignorance.
Logan

Largo, FL

#53 Jul 11, 2011
You retards that are driving with your hazards on... You don't realize that it's distracting and blinding during rain. I bet you take the same mentality that you should have your fucking high beams on all the time too, since it's easier for people to see you.
Idiots. I hope you get pulled over next time you do it. There's a reason it's illegal you dipshits. If you're afraid of driving, get off the damn road. Not everyone is as bat shit retarded as you.
Logan

Largo, FL

#54 Jul 11, 2011
Go Blue wrote:
I am an expolice officer from a large dept. in Broward, but it was many years ago. I don't see any problem with using hazard lights, and reducing speed, in very heavy rain, as it increases visability so well. Now, that doesn't mean that the current law, is as such, but i would think the situation would dictate the prudent course of action.......
There's nothing prudent about being a hazard and an idiot.
Florida Driver

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#55 Jul 12, 2011
Hazard lights in heavy rain make many drivers think that cars ahead of them are stopped, and causes accidents. Further, a turnpike full of yellow flashing does not help any driver with visibility. Just turn your tail lights on.

A driver that cannot spot tail lights should not be on the road.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#56 Jul 12, 2011
As an EX-Floridian (thank God) who grew up in Boca, I have to say that aggressive, macho, know-it-all bullies on the road who think others are "retards" and "pussies" and "chicken shit" are FAR more hazardous to the rest of us than are drivers who slow down and put on flashers. The law needs to be changed for the sake of people who DON'T think a summer thunderstorm is just a challenge to show the world how much testosterone they have. Those blinding episodes of rain last all of five minutes. SLOW DOWN! There is noplace in S. Florida you have to be in a nanosecond. And BTW, nobody else thinks you're superhuman for blasting through a driving rain, so get over yourselves.
Erlonslady

United States

#58 Aug 21, 2011
Blah wrote:
FHP suggests you pull over during a hard rain? Wake up! Nobody does that! The fact is if you and everybody else are driving in a hard rain, you'll spot emergency flashers way before you'll see regular taillights. For visibility reasons, I'm all for changing the law and making it ok to drive in a hard rain with emergency flashers.
Most people don't realize that driving with hazards on means you are driving with NO BRAKE LIGHTS. Many American model cars the hazard light is the tail light illuminated at the brake light level. So when the guy behind you doesn't see that you've slammed on brakes, slams into you, you will be at fault for driving without functioning brake lights. It's illegal for a reason.
Gmam

Lake Worth, FL

#59 Aug 23, 2011
I suggest that if you can't drive in the rain without using your hazard lights the you should not be behind the wheel of a potential lethal weapon and you should give up your driving license now. Do you really think a jury is going to care that you had your hazard lights on when you kill someone. As far as thinking you are more visible with them on you really need to consider that the traffic lights if they are working are not always that visible. Just think about it.
WOW

West Palm Beach, FL

#60 Sep 7, 2011
Blah wrote:
Not me - you put your hazzards on if you've pulled off to let people know there is an issue. FHP is right - if you cant drive in the rain PULL OFF!Putting your hazzards on is deceiving.
WOW

West Palm Beach, FL

#61 Sep 7, 2011
_sigh_ wrote:
As an EX-Floridian (thank God) who grew up in Boca, I have to say that aggressive, macho, know-it-all bullies on the road who think others are "retards" and "pussies" and "chicken shit" are FAR more hazardous to the rest of us than are drivers who slow down and put on flashers. The law needs to be changed for the sake of people who DON'T think a summer thunderstorm is just a challenge to show the world how much testosterone they have. Those blinding episodes of rain last all of five minutes. SLOW DOWN! There is noplace in S. Florida you have to be in a nanosecond. And BTW, nobody else thinks you're superhuman for blasting through a driving rain, so get over yourselves.
You're right - THANK GOD YOU DON"T LIVE HERE ANYMORE! I agree that people need to slow down but REALLY -if you have to have your hazzards when it rains then GET OFF THE ROAD -then you put them on.
FL Driver

Arlington, VA

#62 Sep 25, 2011
Florida is among the 35 or so states that say that using the hazard lights while moving is a moving violation and subjusct to fines and points. Unfortunately, those from 15 other states say the opposite (i.e. use them only in Rain, fog, slow, etc.) This is like having Alabama drive on the right and Georgia on the left. The hazards are for cars pulled over and stopped.
M Chowdhury

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

#63 Sep 25, 2011
This law of not driving with hazard light doesn’t make sense to me. Even in the shine I find this useful to drive with the hazard light (at least for a moment) to warn car tailgating behind and not maintaining safe distance. One prime example is, if you need to brake suddenly because of situation in front of you and realize that the car behind is too close the hazard lights work better to warn the driver behind rather than usual brake lights. The fact is that most people do not follow safe distance; so the brake light may not be enough to get attention of the driver behind and avoid possible coalition.
sonam tobgay

Thimphu, Bhutan

#64 Nov 2, 2011
Actually, when do you use the hazard lights eg during raining, parking, at accidents spot?
PRESS THE BRAKE

New Orleans, LA

#65 Jul 10, 2012
FLASHING LIGHTS FLASH. As soon as you PRESS THE BRAKES, THE LIGHTS ARE SOLID AND DO NOT FLASH. Educate yourself by getting behind a car with someone in it to show you. Duh.
Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that the turn signal (hazard lights) on many vehicles is the same as the brake lights, so when you are driving down the road with your hazard lights on and hit your brakes, you have no brake lights. You probably ask are the lights the same? Why not change that also? The primary reason is that we are all too lazy to personaly inspect our vehicles before we use them, when a turn signal bulb is out the flasher identifier in the vehicle notifies you. By using the same bulb, if you have a brake light out, your flasher will let you know.
Also the amber flashers on many foriegn made cars are blinding during the rain in the dark.
Please recondider following the law, you may be making youself a higher risk victim of getting in an accident.
Austin Vincent

United States

#66 Jul 10, 2012
bubba wrote:
<quoted text>i bet your dad's also your uncle isn't he?
Your name is Bubba..

Haha!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,796
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Grey Ghost 1,144,190
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 32 min zazz 96,564
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr -Michelle- 306,600
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Stop Global Changing 48,588
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr JOEL 70,617
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 14 hr Swedenforever 54,527
Pompano Beach Dating
Find my Match

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pompano Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pompano Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:26 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:26PM
Dolphins vs. Jets: Breaking Down New York's Game Plan
Bleacher Report 4:44 PM
Breaking Down Dolphins Game Plan vs. Jets
NBC Sports 7:53 PM
Bills awarded returner Marcus Thigpen on waivers
Bleacher Report 8:32 PM
Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
NBC Sports 8:12 AM
Colts make a change at cornerback