Pompano to rename street for slain BSO deputy

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Pompano Beach City Commission will rename part of Southwest Third Street for Broward Sheriff's Office Sgt.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
WTF

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

I understand the city wants to do a nice thing, but how is this going to affect mail? I also question how this may hamper property values when the real estate person explains to the prospective buyer that the street is named after a slain officer. How about renaming Powerline Mr. Mayor.
CRYPDOGG

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

WTF & Dr John...YOU BOTH ARE PICES OF ****!!!! This man was protecting the community..the least they can do is give something back to his family!!!!!
Deadly Thoughts

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

As the search goes on for the killer in this instance, I hope that BSO does not discount ANY possibility. The total lack of evidence and also tips gives rise to a very bad thought. Could this have been done by rogue cops?
I know nobody wants to believe it, or even think it:
1) the picture of the potential vehicle resembles a LOT of unmarked cars, and undercover officers have been know to use older vehicles with "questionable" plates to help maintain their cover.
2) Could the deputy have known his killer? It could explain why he was caught off-guard
3) He was shot numerous times from what I hear...sounds like people were afraid he could identify them and wanted to make sure he was dead before they left the scene.

I know this was not the appropriate forum for the above, but the thoughts had been in my head for several weeks.
Billy Bob

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Out of the woodwork come crawling the BSO bashers.
Poor Taxpayer

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

The police and fire PENSION is going to KILL US ALL! They drive around in fancy cars and trucks while the rest of us only have 401'S! THIS MADNESS MUST BE STOPPED!
MasterMac

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Poor Taxpayer wrote:
The police and fire PENSION is going to KILL US ALL! They drive around in fancy cars and trucks while the rest of us only have 401'S! THIS MADNESS MUST BE STOPPED!
Your a piece of crap. i only hope that one day i come face to face with you, and slap the dentures and liver spots right of your face... this gentleman died doing what he loves to do which is protect the public and uphold the law, and all you can do is cry about pensions, you ungratefull scumb@g..may you rot in h&ll you insensitive pr!ck.
Deadly Thoughts

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Billy Bob wrote:
Out of the woodwork come crawling the BSO bashers.
I did not bash BSO--they do a good enough job of that themselves. All I mentioned was that the complete and utter lack of evidence is VERY unusual and that the detectives in charge should investigate EVERY possibility, no matter how remote. If looking among our blossoming criminal population does not turn up anything, maybe they need to expand their search.
Due to the viciousness of the crime I would almost expect it to be on a level with what we use to hear about the Columbian Cartels, Jamaican Posse's, etc. Even the MS-13 (?)
But no matter what, in those groups ---SOMEONE always leaks a tip!! There have been none (that we know of) that seem valid.
Hammering hank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Man.
Reading this post makes me feel ashamed to live in an area with ignorant people. Property values, conspiracy theorists, pension madness. I'm sure all of you pray everyday you don't get jacked, robbed or rapped when you leave your(I'm sure) important jobs. Remeber who you are going to call when or if you ever become a victim. When that police officer gets there, let them know how you really fell about them. That's what I thought.... you won't. You know why because you are a coward. You don't have the courage or intelligence to be a police officer. That's why you bash everything you read here. Come with an new idea, a rational thought or better yet an educated opinion. You should all get a life. Mostly you Poor Bastard. No wonder you're poor.
Frank

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

On a more positive note, I hope that they catch the killer, and it is nice to see the man remembered in some way. Hopefully the town will always remember because of this. May he rest in peace
Deadly Thoughts

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Hammering hank wrote:
Man.
Reading this post makes me feel ashamed to live in an area with ignorant people. Property values, conspiracy theorists, pension madness. I'm sure all of you pray everyday you don't get jacked, robbed or rapped when you leave your(I'm sure) important jobs. Remeber who you are going to call when or if you ever become a victim. When that police officer gets there, let them know how you really fell about them. That's what I thought.... you won't. You know why because you are a coward. You don't have the courage or intelligence to be a police officer. That's why you bash everything you read here. Come with an new idea, a rational thought or better yet an educated opinion. You should all get a life. Mostly you Poor Bastard. No wonder you're poor.
I live in Pompano and I already know who NOT to call. The list of no-show responses by BSO in our area is endless. I myself can list 6 incidents involving danger to life that they did not even bother to show for. AND I am only 6 blocks from the station. These range from burglary in progress to car-jacking. The nickname for our area is now Lyon's Park, Demilitarized Pompano. It was not like this before Basically Stupid Oafs took over and turned our once proud police force into Kenny's Keystone Kops!!
I have talked with officers who brag about lying to facilitate an arrest and their own lack of regard for their job duties.
That said, I still hope they catch the killer AND soon. Do I feel safe in my neighborhood? Yes, knowing the residents are armed!!! AND willing to shoot. Will we bother calling BSO next crime? Probably take care of it ourselves and dump the body of the criminal on their lawn with a sign "Criminal Body Here" stuck in his A&&
Redneck

North Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Deadly Thoughts wrote:
As the search goes on for the killer in this instance, I hope that BSO does not discount ANY possibility. The total lack of evidence and also tips gives rise to a very bad thought. Could this have been done by rogue cops?
1) the picture of the potential vehicle resembles a LOT of unmarked cars, and undercover officers have been know to use older vehicles with "questionable" plates to help maintain their cover.
2) Could the deputy have known his killer? It could explain why he was caught off-guard
3) He was shot numerous times from what I hear...sounds like people were afraid he could identify them and wanted to make sure he was dead before they left the scene.
I know this was not the appropriate forum for the above, but the thoughts had been in my head for several weeks.
All the dealers from Hammmodville bought these cars at the police car auctions after the city upgraded their cruisers.
If you look closely every driver of the older white under covers has a spotlight and looks like Ricky Williams
Yea BiGgiEs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

<sigh> You know... We are a very symbolic society. We place much value in erecting sites, plaques nameing highways/streets, flags etc. Im surprised there hasnt been an outcry to erect a monument in the same spot he was gunned down. And its all done in the name of "respect". And the level of respect is measured by the act. For instance if a parking spot in the Walgreens parking lot was dedicated to him then that would be an insult because a simple little parking spot would be considered insignifigant. I understand WHY this would be important for people to feel honored but when do we stop and think to ourselves that honor isnt a sign or plaque or street name, honor comes from within. And that is one thing nobody can take away. Why stop at a street name, how about rename Pompano or Broward County. I can understand WHY but it does get silly.
Bruno Hauptman

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Deadly Thoughts wrote:
Do you ride on public transportation? If not you should. They're many like you there and I'm sure you could engage in some great conversation.
STOP THE MADNESS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

NEWSFLASH. THE PROPERTY VALUES ARE DOWN BECAUSE OF THE PERSON WHO KILLED DEPUTY REYKA. NO ONE WILL ASK WHY THE STREET IS NAMED REYKA EXCEPT FOR THOSE WHO LIVE HERE. THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTFUL THING TO DO AND WILL GIVE THE FAMILY A SENSE OF HAVING THEIR DAD/HUSBAND AROUND FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. THEY WILL BE ABLE TO CONNECT WITH HIM EVERYTIME THEY DRIVE BY REYKA STREET.
EverydayUse

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

CRYPDOGG wrote:
WTF & Dr John...YOU BOTH ARE PICES OF ****!!!! This man was protecting the community..the least they can do is give something back to his family!!!!!
They would be giving something back if they found the person(s) who did this to him. They are not giving back to his family or community by naming a street for his name. The time this officials will spend commomerating the street named after Reyka should be spent looking for the murderes.
EverydayUse

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Bruno Hauptman wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ride on public transportation? If not you should. They're many like you there and I'm sure you could engage in some great conversation.
BH you havea point, it could have been an inside job for all we know!
EverydayUse

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Frank wrote:
On a more positive note, I hope that they catch the killer, and it is nice to see the man remembered in some way. Hopefully the town will always remember because of this. May he rest in peace
how can we forget....especially when the killer(s) hasn't been found!
BSO Deputy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Deadly Thoughts wrote:
If you knew Chris, you would already know that this was not done by "rogue cops" as you put it. He was very much liked and loved by his fellow deputies and officers. If anyone, it should NEVER have been Chris, however God wants the good ones. Chris has been detached to Heaven.
Cartman

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

STOP THE MADNESS wrote:
NEWSFLASH. THE PROPERTY VALUES ARE DOWN BECAUSE OF THE PERSON WHO KILLED DEPUTY REYKA. NO ONE WILL ASK WHY THE STREET IS NAMED REYKA EXCEPT FOR THOSE WHO LIVE HERE. THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTFUL THING TO DO AND WILL GIVE THE FAMILY A SENSE OF HAVING THEIR DAD/HUSBAND AROUND FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. THEY WILL BE ABLE TO CONNECT WITH HIM EVERYTIME THEY DRIVE BY REYKA STREET.
Yes, stop the madness, but I'm requesting your street be renamed MLK Blvd. When your property value drops you can blame his killer.
Beacher

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

STOP THE MADNESS wrote:
drive by reyka place ? from wellington ! yeah thats gonna happen.... a lot

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance