Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42360 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42537 Mar 6, 2014
There a 10 mils in 1 percent. Therefore a millage rate of 4 translates to 0.4 percent or 0.004.

If you multiply the value of your house (after adjusting the value of your house for homestead and other exemptions) by 0.004 that is the amount of money that you pay in taxes to LBTS.

A 10 percent millage rate reduction would result in a millage rate of 3.6.

So for every $100,000 of real estate which you own with a millage rate of 4 you pay $400 to the town.

If the millage rate decreased by 10 percent then $400 would decrease by 10 percent, i.e.$40. Hence I guess the $40 figure in the quote above.

However, it is impossible to buy a house in LBTS for $100,000 so the $40 figure is wrong.

The average property in town would be at least $400,000 so that would translate into $160 in savings with a 10 percent millage rate cut for average person. Such a cut would still leave the town with 90 percent of $1600 that currently goes to the town from such $400,000 property.

The main question, though, is whether this cut of $160/house/year is worth fighting over, and then whether it was a tacit acknowledgement that our millage rate could easily be 3.6 mils but is 4 just because it can.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42538 Mar 6, 2014
arthur wrote:
I will explain this part in a bit.
19 & 1/4 % goes to LBTS and 80.257% goes to the county, school board etc…and a 10% tax cut equals approximately a $40 dollar reduction yearly…
The second argument in this sentence states something like "our municipal taxes are only 20 something percent of our total property tax bill so any cut in municipal taxes will not greatly impact your property tax bill." The idea is that we should instead complain to county, school board etc. and leave our town alone because it does not spend much of our money.

I disagree with this one also.

First of all this is a municipal election so municipal taxes are very much in play. We will have a chance to vote for school board and county during those elections, not now.

Second, such an approach to looking at property taxes is comparing apples to oranges. Different types of taxing entities have different roles. All municipalities are responsible for police, EMS, etc. School board is responsible for schools. County is responsible for funding the sheriff, courthouses, managing the airport, etc. It is meaningless to compare the taxes that go to the town to taxes that go to entities which have different roles and thus different expenditures. A meaningful comparison would be between municipalities since that would be a comparison for apples to apples. Such a comparison would take into account not just millage rates but also property values as some town's have average house prices around $100,000 and others are at three times that, and yet a screw costs the same everywhere not three times that if it is a screw by the sea, and salaries of employees are also not tripled here. Mine is not exactly necessarily correct approach, though it could be, but it is so much better than just looking at millage rates and ignoring underlying property values.

Third, other taxing entities may be mismanaged and if they overspend then the percentage of the property bill that goes to LBTS declines even though the amount of dollars that goes to LBTS from our tax bill is unaffected. For example, the school board was notoriously mismanaged. You can google Bob Norman, school board, debt, etc. You will find stuff like this:
http://www.btuonline.com/pdfs/District%20Tele...

The more mismanaged the other taxing authorities are the better LBTS could be argued to look without having to do anything because the percentage of the property tax bill that goes to LBTS would be smaller the more other taxing authorities spend. However, interestingly enough these other entities, last time I was looking into this, were much better at rolling back their millage rates after the real estate crash. As a result the percentage of your tax bill that goes towards LBTS may be in the 20s, however, the trend for this percentage was, and possibly still is, increasing as a percentage of your total property tax bill. If that trend is increasing over time then regardless of whether "20 percent is not a lot" there is no reason to tout this.
Black Plague

Pompano Beach, FL

#42539 Mar 7, 2014
Town Idiot wrote:
<quoted text> Another ignorant post from a Clottey supporter I guess your bike has a flat.
What is so ignorant?

The msg was in response to the At&T that stated she was connected here, in which it was posted that her vibrator setting on the phone must have been set on high.

If you read dirty things into everything that's sad, and even funny that " context" must be spelt out for you!

Now as to that flat you so speak of, are you now in the mood to give it a blow job?
Eye Opener

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42540 Mar 8, 2014
Eye Opener

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42541 Mar 8, 2014
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX. ONLINE…2003 (Google)

‘Birute Clottey
Professor: Birute Clottey
Course: RES341: Research and Analysis I (Management (Business))
Grade: Review Details
Overall Grade
F
Personality
F
Speaking Skills
F
Outside Class Availablity
F
F
Review by: thinkpink
Grade student received in this class

Total reviews posted by this student
Just this one
Average grade of student’s reviews
F
thinkpink
Posted on: October 18, 2003
A Terriable Teacher
All F reviews are hidden right now. They will be back shortly.’

http://www.coursereviews.com/u106/professors/...
Black Plague

Pompano Beach, FL

#42542 Mar 8, 2014
So Barbara what are you trying to throw at the wall today, yes I see a failing student and so much like yourself will try and demean or try anything else to have the last say.

PLEASE NOTE: " Outside Class Availablity" only you Barbara... only you ahahahaha go back, go back please this is becoming too funny.

Sakalow campaign is so desperate it shows!
Eye Opener wrote:
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX. ONLINE…2003 (Google)
‘Birute Clottey
Professor: Birute Clottey
Course: RES341: Research and Analysis I (Management (Business))
Grade: Review Details
Overall Grade
F
Personality
F
Speaking Skills
F
Outside Class Availablity
F
F
Review by: thinkpink
Grade student received in this class
Total reviews posted by this student
Just this one
Average grade of student’s reviews
F
thinkpink
Posted on: October 18, 2003
A Terriable Teacher
All F reviews are hidden right now. They will be back shortly.’
http://www.coursereviews.com/u106/professors/...
Other Side

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42543 Mar 10, 2014
Its happening again and from the same people who tell us its better to all get along are the same who are personally attacking in the most hateful way.
I dont want those types of people holding a position of power in town.
Some real facts.

Lets start with seeing Dodd on the corner of A1A and Commercial this morning holding a political sign up. The same Dodd who left a political organization who got him elected, who said he didnt want to be a part of any group. Which I thought was a good thing, but as soon as said that he jumped to another group.

As above they show some stuff off the net which only gives one side of the story. Could be a disgruntled student or client who for completely different reasons wants to trash the other person. But do we hear the other side? No. I dont want people like that holding a position of power in town.

Lets look at the commercial project. Its a fact it looks much better. But was it practical to do as much as they did with spending as much as they did? Are there still empty stores? Yes. Is radio shack and Staples stores, only to name 2, closing? Yes. On line business is whats happening. Where does that leave us?

Now the following may upset a few people, but all I ask you to do is think about this.
One candidate is a very successful business man. He made googles of money selling products. He also was on public boards that regulated those products. He is also a land developer and was on related public boards.

I give him praise on being such a successful business man, but do those same values which made him successful in that type of business work in the public sector?

No they do not. A successful business man who takes advantage of the public laws to improve his business is not the kind of person that should be holding a position of power for town.

He is more in the line of the problem we have in government then the solution. He is to connected with the same type of people who think more of what is best for them then what is best of the rest.

I happen to like him and admire his success in business, but I don't want him in a position of power spending my money.

Look at who most of his supporters are? Could they personally benefit from aligning with him? Is that the main reason?

What I find most interesting is the businesses aligning with Clottey. I would have thought it would be the opposite. But in talking with some of them they didn't want all that happened along Commercial.


Clueless Voters in 2014

Southfield, MI

#42544 Mar 10, 2014
Furth-Geesey- Sehl- Clottey- oh boy! It's really bazarro world this day before election! Hopefully voters will do their due diligence and vote for the only candidate endorsed by the same commissioner you voted in and the 3 who were unopposed for a 2nd term! Forget the lude and crude bunch who talk smut to cover up lack of facts and throw out revisionist history to feel important for a minute! On facts- mailers- resume- in community & business- debates- endorsements - it's Elliot Sokolow! He is the only one who has not taken any money from businesses or real estate companies! He is the only candidate who checks out when researched. The opposition is shady at best- the new alliances are self serving at best- and no doubt more smut will appear to try and counter the facts- the commission of the last 2 years without Clottey has succeeded - residents are happy- Yankwitt is a lot of talk that changes depending on his calls and claims which is not harmless and his "deeds" are not new went on before he came and will go on after- everyone is replaceable- what is not is Scot Sasser right now- at this time in LBTS in seat 1 unless it is Elliot Sokolow - Facts and truth and real history always prevail as alliances are sure to fall and change especially in LBTS!
Amusing

Pompano Beach, FL

#42546 Mar 10, 2014
Yes jealousy turns into poison plain and simple, you have aptly spelt out why a vote for Sakolow or Yankwitt is a waste
Clueless Voters in 2014 wrote:
Furth-Geesey- Sehl- Clottey- oh boy! It's really bazarro world this day before election! Hopefully voters will do their due diligence and vote for the only candidate endorsed by the same commissioner you voted in and the 3 who were unopposed for a 2nd term! Forget the lude and crude bunch who talk smut to cover up lack of facts and throw out revisionist history to feel important for a minute! On facts- mailers- resume- in community & business- debates- endorsements - it's Elliot Sokolow! He is the only one who has not taken any money from businesses or real estate companies! He is the only candidate who checks out when researched. The opposition is shady at best- the new alliances are self serving at best- and no doubt more smut will appear to try and counter the facts- the commission of the last 2 years without Clottey has succeeded - residents are happy- Yankwitt is a lot of talk that changes depending on his calls and claims which is not harmless and his "deeds" are not new went on before he came and will go on after- everyone is replaceable- what is not is Scot Sasser right now- at this time in LBTS in seat 1 unless it is Elliot Sokolow - Facts and truth and real history always prevail as alliances are sure to fall and change especially in LBTS!
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42547 Mar 11, 2014
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Bully Up

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42548 Mar 11, 2014
Voters in 2014 Are Smart wrote:
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Hope not. The worst thing that could happen for the good of the town. Don't want everyone up there thinking the same way. Need a healthy balance of independent thinking and having at least one female is better then not.
The main reason Cole is attacking Clottey is by her own words, Clottey did not do as Cole wanted.
If Sokolow does get elected, I feel sorry for him because before each meeting Cole will call him to go over the agenda. And like Clottey does not do as she wants, then he will become another victim.
Ask yourself - Who is the real bully?
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42549 Mar 11, 2014
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1! The only candidate with no agenda per the Pelican- the only candidate not beholden to certain local businesses who gave other Clottey donations- the only candidate who did not take realtors donations as Yankwitt did- beholden to no one - and will listen to the voters- residents and continue on with Sasser success in seat 1- that's why Sasser endorsed him! Don't be fooled Clottey wanted Colon to stay- McIntee to stay- Olinzock to stay- Furths to stay- and nothing would have been done in town if they had!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Amusing

Pompano Beach, FL

#42550 Mar 11, 2014
Dear Ann..... bought and paid for!
Voters in 2014 Are Smart wrote:
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42551 Mar 11, 2014
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1! The only candidate with no agenda per the Pelican- the only candidate not beholden to certain local businesses who gave other Clottey donations- the only candidate who did not take realtors donations as Yankwitt did- beholden to no one - and will listen to the voters- residents and continue on with Sasser success in seat 1- that's why Sasser endorsed him! Don't be fooled Clottey wanted Colon to stay- McIntee to stay- Olinzock to stay- Furths to stay- and nothing would have been done in town if they had! Voters who vote for Sokolow are informed and looking beyond the few smut talkers who are in quicksand of their own making! If they only knew what those who they now cling to say in confidence to those they try to condemn that would certainly make the smut fly!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Amusing

Pompano Beach, FL

#42552 Mar 11, 2014
Are you saying the fix is in?

Here is the elections link with no votes tallied and posted, so were except your dreams are you getting a number from?

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/FL/Br...
Voters in 2014 Are Smart wrote:
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1! The only candidate with no agenda per the Pelican- the only candidate not beholden to certain local businesses who gave other Clottey donations- the only candidate who did not take realtors donations as Yankwitt did- beholden to no one - and will listen to the voters- residents and continue on with Sasser success in seat 1- that's why Sasser endorsed him! Don't be fooled Clottey wanted Colon to stay- McIntee to stay- Olinzock to stay- Furths to stay- and nothing would have been done in town if they had! Voters who vote for Sokolow are informed and looking beyond the few smut talkers who are in quicksand of their own making! If they only knew what those who they now cling to say in confidence to those they try to condemn that would certainly make the smut fly!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42553 Mar 11, 2014
500 + absentee ballots - high fives- fully endorsed by the present commission and Pompano Pellican- no running away- running to a victory for Elliot Sokolow - to replace Mayor-elect Scott Sasser in seat 1! The only candidate with no agenda per the Pelican- the only candidate not beholden to certain local businesses who gave other Clottey donations- the only candidate who did not take realtors donations as Yankwitt did- beholden to no one - and will listen to the voters- residents and continue on with Sasser success in seat 1- that's why Sasser endorsed him! Don't be fooled Clottey wanted Colon to stay- McIntee to stay- Olinzock to stay- Furths to stay- and nothing would have been done in town if they had! Voters who vote for Sokolow are informed and looking beyond the few smut talkers who are in quicksand of their own making! If they only knew what those who they now cling to say in confidence to those they try to condemn that would certainly make the smut fly! Smart voters don't listen to smut, remember pre- 2010 history and vote for the most qualified candidate - no false charges come from those with an upstanding candidate -that's just those about to under big time!
barbaracolebythesea.com
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42554 Mar 11, 2014
SOKOLOW WINS!- he won by 41 votes! Won the absentee ballots - Referendum 1-yes/2-yes-/3no /4no/5 no/6 yes
Voters are smart in LBTS once again!
Voters in 2014 Are Smart

Southfield, MI

#42555 Mar 11, 2014
Good Night

Pompano Beach, FL

#42556 Mar 11, 2014
I' m sure there is going to be a lot of twisting and turning tonight things didn't turn out how some hoped for ,time to knock the chips off a few shoulders.Sweet dreams hopefully some good nightmares are coming their way!
In their own words

Pompano Beach, FL

#42557 Mar 12, 2014
Barbara and el troop, he was witness to Piersante trying to pick a fight and also Vito, bullies to the front of the line. While the count reveals the thousands that were spent for a mere 41 votes, it also revealed a bevy of ethics complaints that all will enjoy for the next year.

Sokolow received 486 votes, Clottey 445 and Yankwitt 203.

Sokolow had the backing of the current mayor and commission, but he said the closeness of the race shows not everyone agrees with the town's ruling majority.

"It's obviously not a mandate," Sokolow said. "It shows that there is still some division in the town, which I hope to help fix."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Aquarius-wy 1,460,222
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min silly rabbit 312,858
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ize Found 71,240
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Into The Night 62,353
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 4 hr ChromiuMan 7,948
#1 Smoke shop in margate 14 hr One Smoke SHOP 2
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 21 hr zazz 98,275

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages