Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42360 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

Get this

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42434 Dec 20, 2013
Dont Get It wrote:
<quoted text>
Using a little common sense, I dont get their business model when available parking is included. Thats a fixed variable until a parking garage or another way is in place and thats years away if at all.
Picture this - a highrise complex with only enough parking spots around it to meet its current needs. All the other buildings around have all the other spots taken within a half mile. The complex decides and is allowed to build an additional 2 floors and rent it out as a restaurant. What do you think will happen?
Now you may say they can find and pay for other spots and valet cars. That's an additional cost other business dont carry.
We know people not having any patience and they can simply go someplace else in the time it takes them to park and to retrieve their car.
Or maybe the March. bothers know this and they think why spend their money on fixing it up when they get a sucker to do it for them and buy it back at a huge discount when they go under?
How about the other new restaurants on commercial and A1A and the others that are opening up - were are they going to park?
That brings up the question if the town spent 6 million for the most expensive carrot drawing in businesses in to only fail because of incompetent planning ?
First of all competition is good. The ones who become stronger will do well and others will not.
2nd they are taking the risk and if they fail its all on them, after all they must have plans to succeed and if not, their self made demise. The parking issue is well known so no excuses there.

As long as all the rules are followed equally then it should work out and if not then either change the rules or apply stronger enforcements.

I hope all the businesses do well - as long as the quality of life for the residents are not affected. First to be addressed if any thought is given changing the rules. I would not piss off the residents in the surrounding area. Good luck.
Merry Christmas

Pompano Beach, FL

#42435 Dec 24, 2013
Merry Christmas everyone! Have a wonderful holiday season.
All red intersection

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42436 Dec 28, 2013
Now that East Commercial is reopen, what do you think of the weekend all red intersection experimentation at Commercial and A1A?

From what I have seen so far, no pedestrian is crossing crossway. They all are still following the regular crosswalks. The traffic jams however are terrible. It's backed up to Washingtonia on the South...

I already had some comments from out of town friends who complained about the traffic and said that they don't want to come here anymore.

When does this failed trial is supposed to end?
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42437 Dec 30, 2013
Get this wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all competition is good. The ones who become stronger will do well and others will not.
2nd they are taking the risk and if they fail its all on them, after all they must have plans to succeed and if not, their self made demise. The parking issue is well known so no excuses there.
As long as all the rules are followed equally then it should work out and if not then either change the rules or apply stronger enforcements.
I hope all the businesses do well - as long as the quality of life for the residents are not affected. First to be addressed if any thought is given changing the rules. I would not piss off the residents in the surrounding area. Good luck.
While I do agree with most of your well made points, can't completely on the risk issue. Some of that risk is on all the taxpayers, now and in the future.

Look at the river walk complex in Ft. Lauderdale - its now a ghost town. The same key people and beliefs behind that are the same involved with our commercial project. The same problem that caused that to fail is also present here - parking. They didn't have parking at first - then built a garage years later and it was to late. That was not the only factor, but a main one.

It just seems to me like they are hell bound on making a square peg fit in a round hole because they don't see the big picture as it relates to what we are and why people like it.

But I may be proven wrong and it may work out so I'll reserve any more comments on this until some more time goes by to better assess the results. I do hope I'm wrong because it would be a tremendous mistake.
Happy New Year

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42438 Dec 31, 2013
Happy New Year to all
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42439 Jan 2, 2014
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
While I do agree with most of your well made points, can't completely on the risk issue. Some of that risk is on all the taxpayers, now and in the future.
Look at the river walk complex in Ft. Lauderdale - its now a ghost town. The same key people and beliefs behind that are the same involved with our commercial project. The same problem that caused that to fail is also present here - parking. They didn't have parking at first - then built a garage years later and it was to late. That was not the only factor, but a main one.
It just seems to me like they are hell bound on making a square peg fit in a round hole because they don't see the big picture as it relates to what we are and why people like it.
But I may be proven wrong and it may work out so I'll reserve any more comments on this until some more time goes by to better assess the results. I do hope I'm wrong because it would be a tremendous mistake.
I, as you, hope to be wrong.

However, we will know a lot more in about 2 years since it takes at least a year and a half to kill a previously viable business. To kill a viable business you have to kill it's owners' hope for the better times ahead. If, as the article in Sun Sentinel said, it is true that some business saw revenue fall by up to 70 percent then the hit was very substantial, although a single hit will probably not be mortal for a viable business. Most likely the hit was amortized by a loan or previous savings and the customers, including us again, will pay for it eventually. If these businesses are still viable after the losses of parking then they will recover in a few years and maybe flourish as a result of updated wider sidewalks. But if they took out loans to survive this, and it becomes clear in a year that their businesses are no longer viable due to shortage of parking then we may be up a creek without a paddle here. New businesses will have to come, and the question will be whether new businesses are viable businesses or what type of a businesses will be viable here after the changes.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42440 Jan 3, 2014
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I, as you, hope to be wrong.
However, we will know a lot more in about 2 years since it takes at least a year and a half to kill a previously viable business. To kill a viable business you have to kill it's owners' hope for the better times ahead. If, as the article in Sun Sentinel said, it is true that some business saw revenue fall by up to 70 percent then the hit was very substantial, although a single hit will probably not be mortal for a viable business. Most likely the hit was amortized by a loan or previous savings and the customers, including us again, will pay for it eventually. If these businesses are still viable after the losses of parking then they will recover in a few years and maybe flourish as a result of updated wider sidewalks. But if they took out loans to survive this, and it becomes clear in a year that their businesses are no longer viable due to shortage of parking then we may be up a creek without a paddle here. New businesses will have to come, and the question will be whether new businesses are viable businesses or what type of a businesses will be viable here after the changes.
What I'm missing and I hope someone can give me the answer to the parking gorilla in the room. Even if one is built next to the wings lot and don't know if that will be a serious problem for you Arthur, it will only benefit the beach area.

The business west of A1A will still have a major problem from lack of parking spots that are now planters along commercial.

Heard Corellies went out of business and someone else has come in will try to make it. Good luck.

Not to ponder on this point, but the fundamental formula of a cost benefit analysis regarding the expected benefit over the projected cost was never done. It was more like built it and they will come thinking. Lets say that works - they still need a place to park.

Success breeds success is an old saying, but that only works where is can.

Then again, like the movies, maybe it will work, but like any successful business a study is done to see if it makes sense and available parking must be present.
Vetz

Pompano Beach, FL

#42441 Jan 3, 2014
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'm missing and I hope someone can give me the answer to the parking gorilla in the room. Even if one is built next to the wings lot and don't know if that will be a serious problem for you Arthur, it will only benefit the beach area.
The business west of A1A will still have a major problem from lack of parking spots that are now planters along commercial.
Heard Corellies went out of business and someone else has come in will try to make it. Good luck.
Not to ponder on this point, but the fundamental formula of a cost benefit analysis regarding the expected benefit over the projected cost was never done. It was more like built it and they will come thinking. Lets say that works - they still need a place to park.
Success breeds success is an old saying, but that only works where is can.
Then again, like the movies, maybe it will work, but like any successful business a study is done to see if it makes sense and available parking must be present.
Corellies sold their business,they opened another restaurant in Orlando. They are smiling all the way to the bank! Get your facts straight before you try to say they couldn't make it. I also hope the next owners will continue to do well and prosper that will be up to them.Good food and people skills might just be the key.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42442 Jan 6, 2014
Vetz wrote:
<quoted text> Corellies sold their business,they opened another restaurant in Orlando. They are smiling all the way to the bank! Get your facts straight before you try to say they couldn't make it. I also hope the next owners will continue to do well and prosper that will be up to them.Good food and people skills might just be the key.

I wrote its something I head, never said it was a fact. You made it to a fact-less fact. Very common problem around town.

According to your facts they sold a successful business? Maybe so and maybe they had to choose between 2 successful businesses and Orlando won - hope that's the case. I really do. They had good food and I probably went there more then most.

What is a fact, we can both agree on is the empty store fronts on commercial. It would seem reasonable to me many of those would be rented by now to take advantage of this season.

Don't get me wrong as I think we both want to see this town succeed. That would simply benefit us all. But facts are facts and what we both see on commercial can't be denied.

What is seen is less available parking and a concerning number of empty commercial spaces.

Try this exercise. Lets say you own a store front business, business is down and the place looks old and worn out a bit. So you think if you remodel your store it will bring customers back. So you hire an architect and presents a plan showing you will loose a parking spot in-front of your store, but it will look great.
Then you take a little time due to the slow down in business and do a little research and figure out what that parking spot is worth to your business and the over all cost of the remodel. It turns out to be cost ineffective. Do you do it?

Now what if the local government says it will pay for it, and your still down a parking spot?

Is what has been done here any thing new? Please look up the River Walk and Beach Place.
From a recent article in the SunSent. "The original idea of Beach Place was to have a point of destination for tourists and residents to have a reason to visit the beach," said City Commissioner Dean Trantalis. "That culture has evaporated, and what we now seem to be catering to is the party crowd."
By the way River Walk has already failed they even lost the party crowd.

Like to think we know better. Hate to have the greed of a few be the cause of the evaporation of our culture.

Would love to hear from why it wont happen here, so to all that read this and have that view - please share.

Not to repeat myself, but I really want to be wrong on this. I don't want the town to fail. I like living here and I like it so much If there is a way to prevent it from meeting the same demise I will do whatever I can for it not to fail.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42443 Jan 6, 2014
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
I wrote its something I head, never said it was a fact. You made it to a fact-less fact. Very common problem around town.
According to your facts they sold a successful business? Maybe so and maybe they had to choose between 2 successful businesses and Orlando won - hope that's the case. I really do. They had good food and I probably went there more then most.
What is a fact, we can both agree on is the empty store fronts on commercial. It would seem reasonable to me many of those would be rented by now to take advantage of this season.
Don't get me wrong as I think we both want to see this town succeed. That would simply benefit us all. But facts are facts and what we both see on commercial can't be denied.
What is seen is less available parking and a concerning number of empty commercial spaces.
Try this exercise. Lets say you own a store front business, business is down and the place looks old and worn out a bit. So you think if you remodel your store it will bring customers back. So you hire an architect and presents a plan showing you will loose a parking spot in-front of your store, but it will look great.
Then you take a little time due to the slow down in business and do a little research and figure out what that parking spot is worth to your business and the over all cost of the remodel. It turns out to be cost ineffective. Do you do it?
Now what if the local government says it will pay for it, and your still down a parking spot?
Is what has been done here any thing new? Please look up the River Walk and Beach Place.
From a recent article in the SunSent. "The original idea of Beach Place was to have a point of destination for tourists and residents to have a reason to visit the beach," said City Commissioner Dean Trantalis. "That culture has evaporated, and what we now seem to be catering to is the party crowd."
Like to think we know better. Hate to have the greed of a few be the cause of the evaporation of our culture.
Would love to hear from why it wont happen here, so to all that read this and have that view - please share.
Not to repeat myself, but I really want to be wrong on this. I don't want the town to fail. I like living here and I like it so much If there is a way to prevent it from meeting the same demise I will do whatever I can for it not to fail.
I would prefer if my existing repeat guests could come back to the same town they chose for their annual vacations for years over the party weekend crowd which is here today and may be gone tomorrow.

I don't know for sure if it is either/or because maybe my repeat clientele on average likes the weekend events. I heard opinions on both sides of this issues roughly equally.

But I would rather have 1 person staying a week and relaxing than 7 party goers for 1 night on a friday night stay in my hotel.

But I do not know if that is a trade off either because I do not get 7 party goers for 1 night on a friday because of events as most of these people are locals who go back home for the night, it seems. It is a good business for bars but for hotels not so much.

If I had to choose I would rather live in a sleepy town than a party town. That is what I tell people. If you want a party you can go to Fort Lauderdale beach or South Beach. But it is better to have an option to go to a party when you want to rather than have a party at home every weekend when you are trying to go to sleep. This is actually what I think is the appeal of our town. That it could be quiet. Our party cannot compete with Fort Lauderdale or South Beach party anyway.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42444 Jan 6, 2014
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I would prefer if my existing repeat guests could come back to the same town they chose for their annual vacations for years over the party weekend crowd which is here today and may be gone tomorrow.
I don't know for sure if it is either/or because maybe my repeat clientele on average likes the weekend events. I heard opinions on both sides of this issues roughly equally.
But I would rather have 1 person staying a week and relaxing than 7 party goers for 1 night on a friday night stay in my hotel.
But I do not know if that is a trade off either because I do not get 7 party goers for 1 night on a friday because of events as most of these people are locals who go back home for the night, it seems. It is a good business for bars but for hotels not so much.
If I had to choose I would rather live in a sleepy town than a party town. That is what I tell people. If you want a party you can go to Fort Lauderdale beach or South Beach. But it is better to have an option to go to a party when you want to rather than have a party at home every weekend when you are trying to go to sleep. This is actually what I think is the appeal of our town. That it could be quiet. Our party cannot compete with Fort Lauderdale or South Beach party anyway.
Well said.
It just goes to show anyone can throw a party, but when the party is a touch exclusive and special that's the environment that brings in the kinda people I prefer to be around.
Elections

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42445 Jan 27, 2014
That time of year, again.
Later then usual.
Only one seat up.
So who is the best fit is the question?

Dance machine attorney?
Minnet cloned business man?
Know what were getting professor?
No more whining

Pompano Beach, FL

#42446 Jan 28, 2014
With Clotty you get the McIntee,Furth,and Marchellos brothers Supporter! Only people that will profit from something will vote for her. Then remember the loud mouth Terra Martian Fleishman he's a nothing without someone using him!!!
Mokyor

United States

#42447 Jan 30, 2014
No more whining wrote:
With Clotty you get the McIntee,Furth,and Marchellos brothers Supporter! Only people that will profit from something will vote for her. Then remember the loud mouth Terra Martian Fleishman he's a nothing without someone using him!!!

All true, but Clotty stood on her own ground last time around.

Best to have at least one female to balance the malice.

Of course votes are used as sediment for those who like to benefit.
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42448 Jan 30, 2014
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
It is basically a war on existing businesses funded with taxpayers' money. It is like you are paying for your own execution.
Basically the existing businesses are being taken for granted because of the tempting vision of better businesses coming to replace existing ones. If you stress all of the existing businesses the weakest ones will go, though strength might simply denote deep pockets, and just leaving might simply mean that people are disgusted with the business environment here finally. Why are we stressing businesses and why do we think that stressing anybody is a right thing to do especially during economic downturn, I do not know, and I strongly disagree with this.
People do not see it clearly because of PR programs like HIP (Hotel Improvement Program), which as a part of a deal requires an admission on the part of recipients that they cannot hack it without help, whether they can or cannot.
Overall this is making everybody weaker not stronger. Hopefully this is a temporary development.
Most of these business are low budget hopefuls... And i do hope they make it. But the like nail shop funded by the owners married boy friend... they gotta go, so the the hooker havens, and the half way houses.. They provide no population for a real town. Next the last of the DUMP hotels have to go... You can tell we are blighted when Monrovian's come in to "fix things up"... we move a huge step to cash laundering capital of the world. How can we not stop that other than eminent domain. I personally thought 15 years ago it would be easier. We shall see.
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42449 Jan 30, 2014
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
It is basically a war on existing businesses funded with taxpayers' money..
And what business in town is getting town money, I want one of those... Fingernail polish remover is not what you should be drinking!
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42450 Jan 30, 2014
Dont Get It wrote:
<quoted text>
Using a little common sense, I dont get their business model when available parking is included. Thats a fixed variable until a parking garage or another way is in place and thats years away if at all.
Picture this - a highrise complex with only enough parking spots around it to meet its current needs. All the other buildings around have all the other spots taken within a half mile. The complex decides and is allowed to build an additional 2 floors and rent it out as a restaurant. What do you think will happen?
Now you may say they can find and pay for other spots and valet cars. That's an additional cost other business dont carry.
We know people not having any patience and they can simply go someplace else in the time it takes them to park and to retrieve their car.
Or maybe the March. bothers know this and they think why spend their money on fixing it up when they get a sucker to do it for them and buy it back at a huge discount when they go under?
How about the other new restaurants on commercial and A1A and the others that are opening up - were are they going to park?
That brings up the question if the town spent 6 million for the most expensive carrot drawing in businesses in to only fail because of incompetent planning ?
Chris Vincint f^9k up the parking... No plans were made for the future and then it grew into a just as restrictive model that forces us to be a parking garage vendor to come in and rape up.... We turned a corner in the " past election" by not challenging Vincint. More of his behind the scenes secret agenda... don't think it includes anyone in town anymore...
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42451 Jan 30, 2014
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
Correli's chose bill collectors versus ignorant territory. Drive by Aruba, the Grill, the Pub, the "new Mulligans", 101, they are not looking for the heavy drinking crowd at all were they... ask the sheriff.... Today someone told me that end of the street was the rest home of broward drunks.... they sure don't live here! But on the other hand they provide us much cash in taxes. Rarely if ever see anyone from LBTS there unless they only come out of their holes for happy hour, the drunks from the half way houses and well yes.. we know those others... the "H" word... but no, we don't have those here do we?
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42452 Jan 30, 2014
In the end it requires higher class hotel clients to take over, both for bar's and restaurants. This only happens when we raise the rates giving us a quality of guest way way above a taco shack. Then we can have a fun place with good food. And please, professionals,,, not a couple of brothers whose goal is to have a diner.

The hotels see they can make more money and raise their rates. It is a never ending spiral upwards to get ride of the rife rafe that slinks around our streets, smashes our car windows, breaks into our houses...(happens a lot more frequently because the sheriff deputies do not know to fill out the appropriate paperwork for ANY Violation. Maybe we should have a condo/hotel tax for short term rentals, and a liquor tax taking pressing the drunks to drive north or south and make things more peaceful here. We can have peaceful higher class folks that will spend the money, shop, and promote. Who cares if people come year after year if they bring ten coolers of beer and a bag of food from publix. Is that really what we want?
haitus from cold

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42453 Jan 30, 2014
And finally,,, it only takes a week, the town has to be equitable. Why is it that they cannot regarding code, planning, etc. Inept, lazy rank and file staff. A review should be done which is hard since the seniors are on the downhill slide to another retirement account. Not all of them but some of them... It is really sad because this is a great little town and should not be hard to manage.... but the..........

there are the residents... I really like the expensive silver car that is doing our code enforcement job... too many people are so bitter that they feel like they need to do this. If the town did it like they should it will be independent, of course they have to read and understand the entire code not just one like take so far out of context you would think it had to do with the toilet in their office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min moshx 1,418,025
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min Susanm 311,610
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 49 min zazz 98,164
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,940
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Into The Night 61,023
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump 21 hr WasteWater 82
Review: I Love Kickboxing Aug 21 Charlie 35

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages