Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42363 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

MalWho

Hollywood, FL

#42327 Sep 22, 2013
Question wrote:
Why do you think that Malcolm, the director of the Chamber, will be running. Does he even live in town. Know any other Malcolm except Malcolm X?
I though it referred to Eddy Malkoon the guy who ran last time against Brown and lost. Still around? But heck if the guy from the chamber runs and says some good stuff - may win.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42328 Sep 22, 2013
MalWho wrote:
<quoted text>I though it referred to Eddy Malkoon the guy who ran last time against Brown and lost. Still around? But heck if the guy from the chamber runs and says some good stuff - may win.
Nothing changed with the Chamber. I just quit it this year for good. Hopefully I will somehow survive despite my obviously erroneous decision. I am not sure how I could hope to survive without the Chamber, and without the Hotel Improvement Program and without the Paint Program. It is going to get rough, one might think. However, do not fret if you like me. One might be wrong to fret. I will be OK. I will possibly be the last hospitality property standing in this town.:-) See you around.
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42329 Sep 23, 2013
Question wrote:
Why do you think that Malcolm, the director of the Chamber, will be running. Does he even live in town. Know any other Malcolm except Malcolm X?
Who said that the guy from the chamber was running, trying to grasp who Malcolm is and pointing a finger, boy I can find you some swamp land.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42330 Sep 23, 2013
Sassparella wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that the guy from the chamber was running, trying to grasp who Malcolm is and pointing a finger, boy I can find you some swamp land.
Yeah well if you want help the places people look for help here are the last ones I would look for help. But if you look at the election four years ago we pretty much voted for unknowns. This time I do not want that. I think we can find some people who are not unknowns, who deserve our respect, and yet we do not have to vote for same old same old either. That is how I will be looking. Somewhere in the middle there.

Maybe the issue is that we should tell our candidates what the issues are instead of just voting for personalities or flashy saviors and hoping that they will take care of us. Likewise if we were not represented by a personality then there is no reason to think that this personality will change after the election either and represent us.
The Few

Hollywood, FL

#42331 Sep 23, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah well if you want help the places people look for help here are the last ones I would look for help. But if you look at the election four years ago we pretty much voted for unknowns. This time I do not want that. I think we can find some people who are not unknowns, who deserve our respect, and yet we do not have to vote for same old same old either. That is how I will be looking. Somewhere in the middle there.
Maybe the issue is that we should tell our candidates what the issues are instead of just voting for personalities or flashy saviors and hoping that they will take care of us. Likewise if we were not represented by a personality then there is no reason to think that this personality will change after the election either and represent us.
While I agree to your views on who to vote for, the fact remains there are only a few people who would actually run for office. The incentive to run is as limited. So it leaves those who's egos or pocket books pulls for it.

Not to mention all the personal attacks one will have to deal with.
Truth or lies it doesn't matter they will come.

With the new ethic rules, the ability to ask anyone questions must now be precluded with asking if they are a lobbyist or a vendor of town? If yes, then a bunch of forms must be filled out. So who do we get to run for office? Not me and think I would be decent at it. How about you Arthur?
just a by stander

United States

#42332 Sep 23, 2013
Past approveal haunt us wrote:
<quoted text>
an opinion is the wall you mention on W Trade Winds added beauty to the surrounding neighborhood
too bad the town forced the owner to remove it after considerable
costly legal negotiations
a hedge stands there now
along with partial wall which looks somewhat awkward
an opinion, the wall was less of an offense than allowing inground swimming pool to be built in practically entire width of a side setback at the single
family home at corner of Bombay & W Trade Winds
Evidentaly you don't know the history of this story, when he submitted his plans to the town it was approved because his plan showed he was not in the set back. when started to build the wall he built it in the set back the town issused a stop work order, he ignored it and continuted to build in the set back. to make a long story short the town offered him a deal that he would pay a dollar a year and if he sold the house the same deal would go for the new owner, he refused went to court lost then he was ordered to take the wall down.DO a little research so you will know what your talking about
The Wall is on WEB

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42333 Sep 23, 2013
just a by stander wrote:
<quoted text>Evidentaly you don't know the history of this story, when he submitted his plans to the town it was approved because his plan showed he was not in the set back. when started to build the wall he built it in the set back the town issused a stop work order, he ignored it and continuted to build in the set back. to make a long story short the town offered him a deal that he would pay a dollar a year and if he sold the house the same deal would go for the new owner, he refused went to court lost then he was ordered to take the wall down.DO a little research so you will know what your talking about
You got the facts W R O N G
The town did approve the wall on W Tradewinds; however, the commissioner claimed the wall was not built according
to plans but instead was built on town property. The owner of
the wall was Mr. Mareskey ???
who is deceased, he went to Court to try to keep the wall in place.

But the town ordered him to remove the wall at town expense but
Mr Mareskey decided to continue building the wall hoping the town would honor approving it. He lost the case because the Wall was built on town property and he had to remove it or get fines from the town.
Articles appeared in the Sun Sentinel and other local newspapers. Court case cost both the town and the owner of the wall approx $60,000 each. The owner was NEVER offered the deal you mentioned; in fact, the new owner had never been told
to leave the wall in place for any reason. He had to get it removed or receive hefty fines from the town.
The Meretsky Wall

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42334 Sep 23, 2013
just a by stander wrote:
<quoted text>Evidentaly you don't know the history of this story, when he submitted his plans to the town it was approved because his plan showed he was not in the set back. when started to build the wall he built it in the set back the town issused a stop work order, he ignored it and continuted to build in the set back. to make a long story short the town offered him a deal that he would pay a dollar a year and if he sold the house the same deal would go for the new owner, he refused went to court lost then he was ordered to take the wall down.DO a little research so you will know what your talking about
The location of the house was on W. Tradewinds in Old Town owned by
the late Mr. Warren Meretsky.
That unfortunate occurrence resulted in case law setting precedent in Florida law.
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42335 Sep 24, 2013
The Few wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree to your views on who to vote for, the fact remains there are only a few people who would actually run for office. The incentive to run is as limited. So it leaves those who's egos or pocket books pulls for it.
Not to mention all the personal attacks one will have to deal with.
Truth or lies it doesn't matter they will come.
With the new ethic rules, the ability to ask anyone questions must now be precluded with asking if they are a lobbyist or a vendor of town? If yes, then a bunch of forms must be filled out. So who do we get to run for office? Not me and think I would be decent at it. How about you Arthur?
That is why both candidates in the last election were put ups from backing of the same save our town backers.
Mokyor

Hollywood, FL

#42337 Sep 24, 2013
Sassparella wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why both candidates in the last election were put ups from backing of the same save our town backers.

What I know is some cleaver people were behind it with contradicting goals from what they stated.

"Save our Town"? sure sounds great. On the surface it sounds like they want to keep things they way they are. Cant save something that doesn't exist.

Yet all the key people in that group wanted to raise the height limits. I'm not placing judgment if that's a good or bad thing, but its not the current state of town and would be by anyone's definition a major change.

What happened in my opinion is a small group of people wanted things done their way. Still don't know if their was is best because they never tell us. They always say one thing and do another. I can never get the why of that.

Either its a good idea or its isn't. The only conclusion that can be had is because what ever goals/ideas they have are not agreeable to most voters they have no choice, but to make stuff up in order to try to get what they really want passed.

Need a check on this? The amount of energy used to say one thing and do another is immense, if that was used to explain a good idea to all it then would get done no problem so by the fact they use the methods they do only goes to show its not a good idea for most.
The Meretsky Wall

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42338 Sep 24, 2013
The Meretsky's could not build on town property and the commission can not give public land away via a variance which was written very poorly to begin with.

Good to know some of you writing on this blog know the law and are paying attention.
Wallace

Hollywood, FL

#42339 Sep 24, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
What I know is some cleaver people were behind it with contradicting goals from what they stated.
"Save our Town"? sure sounds great. On the surface it sounds like they want to keep things they way they are. Cant save something that doesn't exist.
Yet all the key people in that group wanted to raise the height limits. I'm not placing judgment if that's a good or bad thing, but its not the current state of town and would be by anyone's definition a major change.
What happened in my opinion is a small group of people wanted things done their way. Still don't know if their was is best because they never tell us. They always say one thing and do another. I can never get the why of that.
Either its a good idea or its isn't. The only conclusion that can be had is because what ever goals/ideas they have are not agreeable to most voters they have no choice, but to make stuff up in order to try to get what they really want passed.
Need a check on this? The amount of energy used to say one thing and do another is immense, if that was used to explain a good idea to all it then would get done no problem so by the fact they use the methods they do only goes to show its not a good idea for most.
Have to admit had to read this a couple of times and agree to what has and is happening.
Your point of those people in town being full of crap because its the only way to get what they want done - sums it up well. I agree fully that if it was the right thing to do and explained with the same energy now spent to bullcrap us all it would have a great chance of getting done and for all the right reasons.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42340 Sep 24, 2013
Wallace wrote:
<quoted text>Have to admit had to read this a couple of times and agree to what has and is happening.
Your point of those people in town being full of crap because its the only way to get what they want done - sums it up well. I agree fully that if it was the right thing to do and explained with the same energy now spent to bullcrap us all it would have a great chance of getting done and for all the right reasons.
Not really. Stuff is what it is regardless of the effort spent on the sales job. Reality becomes apparent eventually. Buyers remorse and all.

Are you feeling helped because millions are being spent? I don't but maybe you do, but, then again, maybe the sales job worked on you and not on me.

Time will tell how it all plays out. I remain skeptical because the justification for Commercial projects was poor.
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42341 Sep 25, 2013
The Meretsky Wall wrote:
The Meretsky's could not build on town property and the commission can not give public land away via a variance which was written very poorly to begin with.
Good to know some of you writing on this blog know the law and are paying attention.
If so how did they just give 9 feet away in the alley to Bill C?
Alley Opps

Hollywood, FL

#42342 Sep 25, 2013
Sassparella wrote:
<quoted text>
If so how did they just give 9 feet away in the alley to Bill C?
From what I gathered it was in the setback - the property owners setback not on town property.

If this is incorrect and he was given town property then the town has another big problem.

Find it hard to believe they would make the same mistake.
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42343 Sep 25, 2013
Alley Opps wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I gathered it was in the setback - the property owners setback not on town property.
If this is incorrect and he was given town property then the town has another big problem.
Find it hard to believe they would make the same mistake.
No it was the property owners setback, the big problem I see going on here is that they just extended everyone's property beside them.

Just a small mistake..... oh really its LBTS what do you expect!
Sassparella -Twerking

Pompano Beach, FL

#42344 Sep 27, 2013
Who was that Edmond was -twerking with at Atehna with on Tuesday night.
loopdidoo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42345 Sep 28, 2013
Arthur, get a life and understand it... the town would be not quite so bored with your comments.. Besides, back out parking on A1A will be illegal and you will be screwed. People vote for a lower millage rate not knowing in general what the local tax is. If you don't like it, build in holiywood or end up with an unworkable situtation.
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you in favor of all that is going on?
I think that the idea is that once we spend millions on Commercial then your taxes will go down. But yet we all know that your taxes will not go down regardless of what happens with Commercial.
I am pretty crazy (though I am right) so if I were a Commissioner I would vote for a lower millage rate and would vote against 4.0 millage rate but alas I would be the only vote. And I am not a Commissioner anyhow.
The Commissioners that we have are happy with 4.0 millage rate.
Do you think that once we complete the Commercial projects our millage rate will go down?
If you hate businesses, which I think that you do, why are you in favor of projects that are supposedly helping businesses at your expense?
I would just like to know how you think.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42346 Sep 28, 2013
loopdidoo wrote:
Arthur, get a life and understand it... the town would be not quite so bored with your comments.. Besides, back out parking on A1A will be illegal and you will be screwed. People vote for a lower millage rate not knowing in general what the local tax is. If you don't like it, build in holiywood or end up with an unworkable situtation.
<quoted text>
Maybe you are bored but by your post and the time of posting it seems to suggest that you are losing sleep over me. You should not be. I am on your side but you are not on your side.

This whole back out parking stuff on A1A though is a red herring.

I sometimes back out of a house in Terra Mar. Where is the outrage over that? Heck a former Commissioner almost backed out into me there in such a matter. Did not see me coming but this is why I have eyes, and why you should not be speeding. So it was no problem. Drive to Terra Mar at any given time of the day and see all the cars parked in such a way that the only way for them to get out is by backing out. Where is the outrage about single family home back out parking?

Or when I drive on A1A what is the deal with condo people speeding out of a condo and driving in front of me into the middle lane and rolling in the middle lane creating a dangerous situation where I do not know if they see me or what. Sometimes they drive in front of me from middle lane and thus they fail to yield to incoming traffic. Wheres is the outrage about condo parking?

Restaurant parking is not a problem because there is no restaurant parking so I understand that there is no outrage about restaurant parking.

Also what about parking at the public safety building? How are they going to park if you had power to take away back out parking on A1A? Don't mess with my and public's safety please by not letting them park. From where will they respond?

Plus I know that you are building a garage next to my hotel so my guests will just park there if you could take away my parking, which you cannot. So my situation is not so unworkable for me. Which is how it should be.

To sum up, this whole back out parking issue is nonsense, which is why nothing ever came out of it and nothing ever will. People are just spinning their wheels about nonsense while they miss the important stuff. Back out parking is just one of the scenes in LBTS show. It gives some people something to fight about, which is what this is all about and what they want.

As far as the millage goes, I have not looked at it this year. Since I cannot stop things from happening, for the precise reason that you pointed out, I can use this ex post facto just like with sewers. You can pass whatever you want. Why should I help you win political points by making or keeping millage low? Go up up and away with it. It will just be easier to defeat you later. Higher taxes here we come. Once people are hit in their pocket they will be motivated to understand their TRIM notices. If it gets too crazy it will just be rolled back, and that is a good political platform on which to run.
just a by stander

East Liverpool, OH

#42347 Sep 28, 2013
The Wall is on WEB wrote:
<quoted text>
You got the facts W R O N G
The town did approve the wall on W Tradewinds; however, the commissioner claimed the wall was not built according
to plans but instead was built on town property. The owner of
the wall was Mr. Mareskey ???
who is deceased, he went to Court to try to keep the wall in place.
But the town ordered him to remove the wall at town expense but
Mr Mareskey decided to continue building the wall hoping the town would honor approving it. He lost the case because the Wall was built on town property and he had to remove it or get fines from the town.
Articles appeared in the Sun Sentinel and other local newspapers. Court case cost both the town and the owner of the wall approx $60,000 each. The owner was NEVER offered the deal you mentioned; in fact, the new owner had never been told
to leave the wall in place for any reason. He had to get it removed or receive hefty fines from the town.
I know you think you got the facts right, but you don't, i had many talks with the maerskey"s over the wall, we did give them that offer one dollar a year, and if.and when they sold the house the same agreement went to thr new owners, i know that to be a fact because i made them that offer when I was a commissioner, and it was agreed on by the commission, they wanted to go back to court and they lost, we had no choice but, to have the wall taken down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,657,566
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min June VanDerMark 322,159
Gerald “Jerry” Lamothe 2 hr Maverick 3
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr NAME 64,308
Pure Crap ! 3 hr Wyatt 2
Attorney Dean Trantalis 3 hr In the know 1
Never Vote for Attorney Dean Trantalis 4 hr In the know 1

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages