Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42363 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

So Smart

Pompano Beach, FL

#42307 Sep 15, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
You know getting in anywhere when you are a teen does not mean anything. It also matters how you did in college. And then it matters how you did afterwards.
If you disagree then automatically I probably should be dictator of LBTS because I live here and when I was a teen or young adult I did extremely well and it can be verified and matched against other residents' records and GPAs. I would likely win against any possible candidate for an LBTS political or managerial spot on merit on a spot.
But the point is not that the smartest person should be dictator of LBTS. The point is that LBTS should be a model town. LBTS is not too small to be inefficient and not too large to be unwieldy. LBTS is a perfectly sized town to be run well and efficiently.
Somebody who means well and listens to smart people would be a perfect politician for us. That would be someone I would want to run things.
Which smart person does one listent to? Cindy is smart and you say you are, but each of you has a total diferent view on things. One gets your vote if they listen and act the way you think and her vote if they do the same with her opinions. You could say becasue you are smarter then anyone else, your opinion is right, but we all know you could be wrong.
I say they should listent to all of us or at least a solid cross section. BTW There is always someone smarter.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42308 Sep 15, 2013
So Smart wrote:
<quoted text>Which smart person does one listent to? Cindy is smart and you say you are, but each of you has a total diferent view on things. One gets your vote if they listen and act the way you think and her vote if they do the same with her opinions. You could say becasue you are smarter then anyone else, your opinion is right, but we all know you could be wrong.
I say they should listent to all of us or at least a solid cross section. BTW There is always someone smarter.
You are absolutely right. Clearly you can have one person who is smart who disagrees with another smart person. I think that in such cases what you need is a compromise. If you just follow one person, whoever it might be, and disregard others and other smart/informed people disagree so strongly with the person you follow then you are probably on a wrong path. Nobody is so smart to have all the right answers.

I do not want to be followed. I want to have an informed discussion and a compromise. For example, one issue that interests me is where did the money for Commercial projects come from since our taxes are "low," did not need to be increased to pay for all of this, and we did not borrow the money? See I do not think that we are having an informed discussion about the financial situation of our town and we have not done it for a decade. And this comes from various politicians following a group of people, not me, for a while now.
Gordian

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42309 Sep 16, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right. Clearly you can have one person who is smart who disagrees with another smart person. I think that in such cases what you need is a compromise. If you just follow one person, whoever it might be, and disregard others and other smart/informed people disagree so strongly with the person you follow then you are probably on a wrong path. Nobody is so smart to have all the right answers.
I do not want to be followed. I want to have an informed discussion and a compromise. For example, one issue that interests me is where did the money for Commercial projects come from since our taxes are "low," did not need to be increased to pay for all of this, and we did not borrow the money? See I do not think that we are having an informed discussion about the financial situation of our town and we have not done it for a decade. And this comes from various politicians following a group of people, not me, for a while now.
Maybe I'm not that smart, but you say a compromise is the solution when 2 smart people disagree. I don't think that is correct.
It depends on the issue.

Lets take one of yours - being over charged for sewer fees. Well that is either true or not. In your case it was true and you got it fixed. Maybe you made a compromise for not getting paid back for all the fees you paid in excess, but you could sue and most likely get it. I would not call that a compromise.

The best way to judge if a compromise could be a solution is when the outcome of the issue at hand is not known yet. When its at the planning stag. When that is true, a compromise may work out and be the best solution in moving forward.

When the facts are known, a compromise usually benefits greater those at fault.

Good and bad politics happen when a future event is being planned and more then one strong opinion exist on what the outcome may be. We all know it then can get really stupid between some very smart people.

Don't want to be followed? You can't do anything about it and why that even pops into your mind is ?. Since you cant control others in this regard then why even have this as an issue? Then it could be said logically you care what others think about you. I don't think you do, I don't.

The fact remains people can be broken into 2 groups when the right situations happens - like regrading political issues. Leaders and followers are produced. Most, by far, will naturally end up being followers to one group or another. That's just the way it is.

Then it becomes the choice of the ones they follow to act, or not, on this new thing that does bring with it a great deal of power.

Some use it for good and some use it for bad. That is human nature and I'm saying nothing that has not been proven over and over again.

So thinking one can control how others think about them is in a sense master planning which always ends up bad.

Once one takes actions that affects others, they will have followers and those who oppose. With that, like it or not, a new responsibility comes into play of using the power that comes with having followers for good or bad. Purely a judgement call.

Unfortunately, those who are good at making those calls cant be know until the shit hits the fan and we pray we get in place the ones who can make the good judgement calls.

Its because of this our system of government was designed and I think its been changed along the way to allow those who need power to corrupt the system.

How to fix that is something that interests me.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42310 Sep 16, 2013
Gordian wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I'm not that smart, but you say a compromise is the solution when 2 smart people disagree. I don't think that is correct.
It depends on the issue.
Lets take one of yours - being over charged for sewer fees. Well that is either true or not. In your case it was true and you got it fixed. Maybe you made a compromise for not getting paid back for all the fees you paid in excess, but you could sue and most likely get it. I would not call that a compromise.
The best way to judge if a compromise could be a solution is when the outcome of the issue at hand is not known yet. When its at the planning stag. When that is true, a compromise may work out and be the best solution in moving forward.
When the facts are known, a compromise usually benefits greater those at fault.
Good and bad politics happen when a future event is being planned and more then one strong opinion exist on what the outcome may be. We all know it then can get really stupid between some very smart people.
Don't want to be followed? You can't do anything about it and why that even pops into your mind is ?. Since you cant control others in this regard then why even have this as an issue? Then it could be said logically you care what others think about you. I don't think you do, I don't.
The fact remains people can be broken into 2 groups when the right situations happens - like regrading political issues. Leaders and followers are produced. Most, by far, will naturally end up being followers to one group or another. That's just the way it is.
Then it becomes the choice of the ones they follow to act, or not, on this new thing that does bring with it a great deal of power.
Some use it for good and some use it for bad. That is human nature and I'm saying nothing that has not been proven over and over again.
So thinking one can control how others think about them is in a sense master planning which always ends up bad.
Once one takes actions that affects others, they will have followers and those who oppose. With that, like it or not, a new responsibility comes into play of using the power that comes with having followers for good or bad. Purely a judgement call.
Unfortunately, those who are good at making those calls cant be know until the shit hits the fan and we pray we get in place the ones who can make the good judgement calls.
Its because of this our system of government was designed and I think its been changed along the way to allow those who need power to corrupt the system.
How to fix that is something that interests me.
Actually we agree a lot. If you are interested in how to fix things stop by or call me sometime. I thought about it a lot and it looks like we are doing similar things. We will have a good discussion.
Why Arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42311 Sep 16, 2013
Arthur, you know very well where the money for these projects came from - depreciation reserve funds that the TM announced as newly found money. All that money was moved into a fund for the TM to use. Doddie kept referring to as found money. Strange that he knows so little about accounting practices and then makes decisions on spending our money. What will we do when a problem develops with our infrastructure or town property and there are no reserves to fund repairs? Cloti fought hard to get several million set aside for use in case of a natural disaster only. TM was not pleased with this restriction. The remaining $15+M will be gone soon and we need to get ready for large tax increases in the not to distant future.

Three years ago we had $18M in various cash reserves. Saving for a rainy day is not the way our TM likes to operate. Spend, spend, spend the taxpayers money is so much easier and more fun.

We need to change the majority on the Commission.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42312 Sep 17, 2013
Why Arthur wrote:
Arthur, you know very well where the money for these projects came from - depreciation reserve funds that the TM announced as newly found money. All that money was moved into a fund for the TM to use. Doddie kept referring to as found money. Strange that he knows so little about accounting practices and then makes decisions on spending our money. What will we do when a problem develops with our infrastructure or town property and there are no reserves to fund repairs? Cloti fought hard to get several million set aside for use in case of a natural disaster only. TM was not pleased with this restriction. The remaining $15+M will be gone soon and we need to get ready for large tax increases in the not to distant future.
Three years ago we had $18M in various cash reserves. Saving for a rainy day is not the way our TM likes to operate. Spend, spend, spend the taxpayers money is so much easier and more fun.
We need to change the majority on the Commission.
You do not even need a disaster for our taxes to go up. Once the existing money is spent it will be called a "great job" and the next TM will arrive and immediately say something like "OMG I examined our books and we desperately need reserves."

It is a cycle with these reserves and spending, and you look smart doing it.

So you will hear at a future budget meeting that unfortunately your taxes will go up because the town lacks sufficient reserves. And who can argue with that right? Same people who are always in favor of everything will be in favor of higher taxes.

So there is no need for a disaster to get our taxes up. All we need is to continue spending.(Although our taxes are already high and too high, which is why we accumulated these current reserves in the first place).

So yes it looks like we agree also.
Anyone Know

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42313 Sep 17, 2013
Just drove over the bridge down Commercial and most of the parking alone the south side of Commercial is now gone. Turned into planters? Guess they will do the same on both sides and on both blocks.
Why in the hell is the town removing parking??
Anyone?
They spent how many millions to improve the business district and they are removing parking?
I was against them spending all this money to help out the businesses, but now they spent all this money and they are harming them?
What am I missing?
Anyone?
Sassparella stated

Pompano Beach, FL

#42314 Sep 17, 2013
Anyone Know wrote:
Just drove over the bridge down Commercial and most of the parking alone the south side of Commercial is now gone. Turned into planters? Guess they will do the same on both sides and on both blocks.
Why in the hell is the town removing parking??
Anyone?
They spent how many millions to improve the business district and they are removing parking?
I was against them spending all this money to help out the businesses, but now they spent all this money and they are harming them?
What am I missing?
Anyone?
According to the last commission meeting , he stated he was the one who came out with this parking program. You will have to watch the rerun on the towns website but a bit of shock and awe when he didn't want to stop the give away before more damage can be done.
What Started

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42315 Sep 17, 2013
Sassparella stated wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the last commission meeting , he stated he was the one who came out with this parking program. You will have to watch the rerun on the towns website but a bit of shock and awe when he didn't want to stop the give away before more damage can be done.
What has really started is a movement to trash Sasser in order to get someone else for Mayor. The evil sausage maker is up and running - again.

I wounder who they got to do the above and how they got them? Promise of cash rewards or promises of glory? Another season of recruiting the weak is underway.

And it may work - again. I could make an case that most voters in town find it more interesting when soap opera style of sharing information is used rather then boring facts. Guess that is more normal then not in most places.

The above person manufactures, using misinformation, painting a negative view of an individual so that votes can be taken away.

Now I and others will try to point out some facts to correct, thinking maybe you just made a mistake. But because of this soap opera mentality, it makes little if any difference.

Sasser was the only one who voted against the Commercial Blvd project - not because he was against the entire project, but in the way it is being done. The lost parking spots referred to before are part of the commercial project.

The parking program you refer to is a separate issue.

Now I know what happens next. You will read this and immediately find a way that you think makes you still right because its not about the parking issue, its about Sasser running for Mayor.

BTW who do you want to be mayor?

arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42316 Sep 17, 2013
What Started wrote:
<quoted text>
What has really started is a movement to trash Sasser in order to get someone else for Mayor. The evil sausage maker is up and running - again.
I wounder who they got to do the above and how they got them? Promise of cash rewards or promises of glory? Another season of recruiting the weak is underway.
And it may work - again. I could make an case that most voters in town find it more interesting when soap opera style of sharing information is used rather then boring facts. Guess that is more normal then not in most places.
The above person manufactures, using misinformation, painting a negative view of an individual so that votes can be taken away.
Now I and others will try to point out some facts to correct, thinking maybe you just made a mistake. But because of this soap opera mentality, it makes little if any difference.
Sasser was the only one who voted against the Commercial Blvd project - not because he was against the entire project, but in the way it is being done. The lost parking spots referred to before are part of the commercial project.
Now I know what happens next. You will read this and immediately find a way that you think makes you still right because its not about the parking issue, its about Sasser running for Mayor.
I do not care who is sitting up there. I just want spending to pause at least.

I wrote pause, not stop, because maybe the people of this town really want all this spending. I do not because nobody told me that our millage rate is at 4 to enable redoing of Commercial, and nobody told me that savings from VFD should go towards financing projects. I am not even convinced that these are the correct projects to do. I was under impression that our taxes are as low as they can possibly be because I was told so at budget meetings. Now it looks a bit differently. So I would like a pause in spending so that we can determine what the majority of the town wants to do with the money and with our millage rate.

I am against spending and for a pause in projects. So whoever convinces me that this is how they will vote for the next 4 years or 2 years in case of the Mayor has my vote. I could care less who actually sits up there if they represent my views.
who will be elected

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42317 Sep 17, 2013
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42318 Sep 18, 2013
What Started wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit long winded but have you watched the rerun in which I reiterated in the original message in regard to the parking program.

While you are there you might want to watch dear Sassy try to berate or was it anal-ize by that old two ears and one mouth the very construction you use as a guise.

I believe a gentleman named Malcolm will be making a announcement shortly in his duty to try and save us from ya-all!
Good Luck

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42319 Sep 18, 2013
Sassparella wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit long winded but have you watched the rerun in which I reiterated in the original message in regard to the parking program.
While you are there you might want to watch dear Sassy try to berate or was it anal-ize by that old two ears and one mouth the very construction you use as a guise.
I believe a gentleman named Malcolm will be making a announcement shortly in his duty to try and save us from ya-all!
Malcolm has a chance only if Cindy Gessey stays away from him. Please tell him that. Its his only chance and we need to be saved!!!
Don't we???
Na.....Sorry, temporary loss of reality.
T Neugent

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42320 Sep 18, 2013
who will be elected wrote:
It's a free for all.
There will be at least 3 people running and I hear possibly 5 or more are seriously thinking about it.
So good chance the votes will be split.
Since a great deal of the votes goes towards the one listed on top of the ballot, just get someone with an "a" to run! Or change name to A. Aasshole.
Sassparella

Pompano Beach, FL

#42321 Sep 19, 2013
Good Luck wrote:
<quoted text>
Malcolm has a chance only if Cindy Gessey stays away from him. Please tell him that. Its his only chance and we need to be saved!!!
Don't we???
Bob...Ted..Alice...?

OK it's Bob Flieshcan... Ed-demented.... and the ol Geesor!

Tri-factor?
who will be elected

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42322 Sep 19, 2013
somebody who knows the names of the streets in LBS
Sassparella and Mensa

Pompano Beach, FL

#42323 Sep 19, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
With all the bragging about her high IQ, she went to U of GA.
Do the two mix? Well food for thought from the top down guy!

Speaking of the Million Minute Mensa contestant who acted just like our dear Windy but when push came to put up or shut up well it wasn't pretty when he went down for the count.

Well he can always go back home, become a self made socialite and attach himself to others great deeds and ask for donations to keep himself going. Maybe publish a few articles and public speaking talking about himself thrown in?
Flashed

Hollywood, FL

#42324 Sep 19, 2013
Sassparella wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob...Ted..Alice...?
OK it's Bob Flieshcan... Ed-demented.... and the ol Geesor!
Tri-factor?
Bob runs things around here so please check with him first to get his OK, if not, then forget about it.
You could be the smartest person in the room and have the best background, but unless Flash OK's you, forget about it.
Why do you think Gessey backed off at the last minute last time?
Oh ya - check with Bob he'll tell ya.
WE NEED TO BE SAVED

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42325 Sep 19, 2013
Good Luck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't we???
SAVED???
From what.
Question

Pompano Beach, FL

#42326 Sep 22, 2013
Why do you think that Malcolm, the director of the Chamber, will be running. Does he even live in town. Know any other Malcolm except Malcolm X?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,581,141
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min John-K 316,333
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Fri zazz 98,475
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Thu Beams 63,943
Monica mollica Thu Guest 1
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) Aug 12 HAVEfunGUYS 1,040
Trader Jacks on A1A (Aug '09) Aug 3 Nancy M 30

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages