Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42338 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

loopdidoo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42244 Aug 24, 2013
oh, and yeah, hooker hotel... really? geez, I won't let my kids roam around downtown alone....
loopdidoo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42245 Aug 24, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find some at town meetings. They are in favor of everything that the town does. It does not matter who sits there and what is the issue, they are always loudly for it. To them even questioning what the town does is an act of sedition.
Part of the problem is that they have not figured out the difference between a promise of a deed and a deed itself. Just because somebody promises you help does not mean that you will be helped. Often the town tells you that they are helping you, and so anybody opposed to somebody helping you is obviously your enemy. However, when all is said and done the promise of help does not result in you actually being helped, and so it turns out that "your enemy" was actually your friend.
Time will tell with Commercial project. How many people will be helped by it? How many will be hurt? When everything is taken into consideration will it be an improvement?
So far for me I do not see any benefit. There is more traffic. It is harder for me to send people to restaurants that I like because I have to tell them "well it is a hundred yards away, however, you have to go through construction zone, but you can do it as there is actually a path next to the building." So for me it is a little bit harder to take advantage of good restaurants that we have and I guess my guests find LBTS a little bit less appealing as a result of all of this construction. So there is some cost to my business that materialized.
As far as cost to other businesses, I do not speak for them, but I think that they are greater.
Go back to Germany please
Therapy Needed

Pompano Beach, FL

#42246 Aug 25, 2013
loopdidoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you missed your Prozac today!
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42247 Aug 25, 2013
loopdidoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You really missed me! XOXO
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42248 Aug 25, 2013
loopdidoo wrote:
oh, and one more thing, anyone that complains about their total LBTS tax bill being too high should just move to Tamarac... so what if your taxes cost the same as a bag of weed for the weekend... if you can't afford it, you can't afford it... take your dope smoking asses out west and let us try to build and maintain a nice town.
Instead of me moving out of town, I think that our administration should move into town.
Sounds Like

Pompano Beach, FL

#42249 Aug 25, 2013
Opps, Cindy seems a bit pissed. loopdidoo? I wounder why? Maybe its her established pattern? Maybe she's thinking she can do something that is actually smart and not just for her benefit this time? I think not.
Common Now Ya All

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42250 Aug 26, 2013
Sounds Like wrote:
Opps, Cindy seems a bit pissed. loopdidoo? I wounder why? Maybe its her established pattern? Maybe she's thinking she can do something that is actually smart and not just for her benefit this time? I think not.
Know that the odds are 10 to 1 the door will hit her in the rear on the way out of town!
loopdidoo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42251 Aug 27, 2013
Common Now Ya All wrote:
<quoted text>
Know that the odds are 10 to 1 the door will hit her in the rear on the way out of town!
It's ya'll....
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42252 Aug 27, 2013
loopdidoo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ya'll....
Why are you in favor of all that is going on?

I think that the idea is that once we spend millions on Commercial then your taxes will go down. But yet we all know that your taxes will not go down regardless of what happens with Commercial.

I am pretty crazy (though I am right) so if I were a Commissioner I would vote for a lower millage rate and would vote against 4.0 millage rate but alas I would be the only vote. And I am not a Commissioner anyhow.

The Commissioners that we have are happy with 4.0 millage rate.

Do you think that once we complete the Commercial projects our millage rate will go down?

If you hate businesses, which I think that you do, why are you in favor of projects that are supposedly helping businesses at your expense?

I would just like to know how you think.
To Arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42253 Aug 27, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you in favor of all that is going on?
I think that the idea is that once we spend millions on Commercial then your taxes will go down. But yet we all know that your taxes will not go down regardless of what happens with Commercial.
I am pretty crazy (though I am right) so if I were a Commissioner I would vote for a lower millage rate and would vote against 4.0 millage rate but alas I would be the only vote. And I am not a Commissioner anyhow.
The Commissioners that we have are happy with 4.0 millage rate.
Do you think that once we complete the Commercial projects our millage rate will go down?
If you hate businesses, which I think that you do, why are you in favor of projects that are supposedly helping businesses at your expense?
I would just like to know how you think.
All your education is proving to be for nothing all you worry about is lowering the mileage rate. What have you done to better your hotel? Knowing people that have stayed in your hotel they have described it as clean but very dated. I guess you continue not to care about updating since your new furniture which was seen being unloaded on A1A was all used. You continue to have all the answers then why haven't you gone out on your own and made a name for yourself and used that extensive and expensive education that you claim to have to make a mark and show some corporation how they can save some money. Your parents and their partners property is worth more than their business.If you want people to listen show them what you can accomplish on your own.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42254 Aug 27, 2013
To Arthur wrote:
<quoted text> All your education is proving to be for nothing all you worry about is lowering the mileage rate. What have you done to better your hotel? Knowing people that have stayed in your hotel they have described it as clean but very dated. I guess you continue not to care about updating since your new furniture which was seen being unloaded on A1A was all used. You continue to have all the answers then why haven't you gone out on your own and made a name for yourself and used that extensive and expensive education that you claim to have to make a mark and show some corporation how they can save some money. Your parents and their partners property is worth more than their business.If you want people to listen show them what you can accomplish on your own.
Why would I make money for a corporate employer by being employed by them when I can be employed by my family so that my family benefits off me? This way at least my family makes money of me. Especially since my family paid for my education.

Thank you for your concern for me. I do not feel a need for validation. I am a success as is. People tell me that I could have been a banker. Well yeah I could and then when I retired I would have done what every banker dreams off, run a hotel on the beach. So I skipped the banker step. How dumb am I? You are not the first one to tell me this.

As far as updating our hotel, you know, the town has been "very busy" improving the hotel district at your expense and frankly over the years they have nothing to show for your money and their efforts. On the other hand my family took over a hotel in the center of the town which looks nice now, and did for quite some time, at no expense to town's taxpayers and people like you make these comments. My hotel is probably nicer and more up do date than your house. I do not want anything from the town other than to leave me alone and to not help my competition.

So what am I doing wrong that harms you that you are so against me? I am on your side dummy.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42255 Aug 27, 2013
Seriously though, many hotels improved over the last decade irrespective of whatever the town did or did not do.

Many people invested a lot of their own money in their own businesses. Which is how it should be, as opposed to the town investing residents' tax money to improve private properties under the name of private-public partnership bull shit.

If you were looking you would have noticed the investments and improvements, however, not everything in town happens during town meetings. In fact very few things that are beneficial for the town happen at town meetings. So open your eyes and look at town meetings' politics critically. It is a show, and you probably have seen better shows.

Some people did not invest in their properties but the town is impotent regarding these properties because these properties just do not care. So the town is bothering properties such as mine that actually pay attention instead.

Unlike the dais I am optimistic about the direction of the town's hotel industry because quite a few hotels have been renovated lately with private sector funds. I am running a hotel and over the last two years I am starting to worry about my competition, while before this it was no contest.

We do not need the town involvement in hotels. The town should move on to improving restaurants or Publix or something for the next decade
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42256 Aug 27, 2013
Or the town should just do nothing.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42257 Aug 28, 2013
arthur wrote:
Or the town should just do nothing.
Well the town should do somethings that benefits most of us. The basics.

Outside of that and I would include about 75% of what is happening to commercial, taxpayers should not be taxed on. The tool of an assessment is not being used effectually. In general,if used right, assess those who stand to benefit to a greater degree then others - pay more in relationship to the added benefit.

Anyway its sliced, if any part of your tax dollar unfairly benefits a private entity there is for lack of a better word - corruption.

One of the principals of our government and a main duty is to keep corruption to a minimal level. Its been shown before if just a little is allowed, it ends up growing into something bad.

What I'm going to find very interesting is when John Boutin starts to ask, when the current project is done, " What are you going to do about ElMar Dr. now ?" This is the issue that I find very concerning based on this assumption.

The only places in town the town can actually do anything is on the property it owns. Commercial was first pushed by a few of the business owners along that street who wanted a piece of the funds the town accumulated from over charging the taxpayers for many years without reducing the tax burden along the way. So they did they best they could to get commissions in who they thought would favor them.

Well they got what they wish for and more. As it turned out the town went to far and most of those same people are now against what is going on and some may and a few already have, gone out of business.

What I fail to understand is if the key business in town is tourism then why not focus on that? Most of the business on commercial exist to serve the tourism industry. Not the other way around as some may have you think.

Then the fact Commercial was already done a number of years ago when the first row of royal palms were planted it would seem reasonable to redo the key tourism areas like ElMar Drive for one next.

This was all brought up before the planning for commercial to deaf ears.

For Mr. Boutin I wounder how much if any funds will be left to do what should have been done? Little, I'm afraid, if any, based on past performance.

Do you think after the current project is finished and the numbers come out the town could sell raising taxes to fix up El Mar - don't think so. And that is the only way I see it getting done - in a substantial way. As substantial as commercial is being done.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42258 Aug 28, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the town should do somethings that benefits most of us. The basics.
Outside of that and I would include about 75% of what is happening to commercial, taxpayers should not be taxed on. The tool of an assessment is not being used effectually. In general,if used right, assess those who stand to benefit to a greater degree then others - pay more in relationship to the added benefit.
Anyway its sliced, if any part of your tax dollar unfairly benefits a private entity there is for lack of a better word - corruption.
One of the principals of our government and a main duty is to keep corruption to a minimal level. Its been shown before if just a little is allowed, it ends up growing into something bad.
What I'm going to find very interesting is when John Boutin starts to ask, when the current project is done, " What are you going to do about ElMar Dr. now ?" This is the issue that I find very concerning based on this assumption.
The only places in town the town can actually do anything is on the property it owns. Commercial was first pushed by a few of the business owners along that street who wanted a piece of the funds the town accumulated from over charging the taxpayers for many years without reducing the tax burden along the way. So they did they best they could to get commissions in who they thought would favor them.
Well they got what they wish for and more. As it turned out the town went to far and most of those same people are now against what is going on and some may and a few already have, gone out of business.
What I fail to understand is if the key business in town is tourism then why not focus on that? Most of the business on commercial exist to serve the tourism industry. Not the other way around as some may have you think.
Then the fact Commercial was already done a number of years ago when the first row of royal palms were planted it would seem reasonable to redo the key tourism areas like ElMar Drive for one next.
This was all brought up before the planning for commercial to deaf ears.
For Mr. Boutin I wounder how much if any funds will be left to do what should have been done? Little, I'm afraid, if any, based on past performance.
Do you think after the current project is finished and the numbers come out the town could sell raising taxes to fix up El Mar - don't think so. And that is the only way I see it getting done - in a substantial way. As substantial as commercial is being done.
That's really my objection to all of these projects. If you have limited amount of money then you have to prioritize, and as you say, and I would agree, El Mar should have been priority. Now if we have limited amount of money to spend on projects and we run out of money and El Mar sidewalks never get fixed then this is all because of Commercial projects and lack of prioritization.

However, I do not think that money is limited or being viewed as limited here nowadays. The town is in great financial shape. We can raise taxes since our millage rate is "low" when compared to some other municipalities (but not all). We can keep the rate at 4 mils while property values go up and claim that we are not increasing taxes. We can borrow money because interest rates are low. All of this has been done before here seemingly without consequences so these are real possibilities.

Thus I do not really see an end to these projects anytime soon. Ours is a great town to manage if you like projects.
History Repeating

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42259 Aug 29, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really my objection to all of these projects. If you have limited amount of money then you have to prioritize, and as you say, and I would agree, El Mar should have been priority. Now if we have limited amount of money to spend on projects and we run out of money and El Mar sidewalks never get fixed then this is all because of Commercial projects and lack of prioritization.
However, I do not think that money is limited or being viewed as limited here nowadays. The town is in great financial shape. We can raise taxes since our millage rate is "low" when compared to some other municipalities (but not all). We can keep the rate at 4 mils while property values go up and claim that we are not increasing taxes. We can borrow money because interest rates are low. All of this has been done before here seemingly without consequences so these are real possibilities.
Thus I do not really see an end to these projects anytime soon. Ours is a great town to manage if you like projects.
Prioritizing the long term and short term needs is fundamental when looking at what should be done regarding how our town should function.

What is known is the safety of the residents is number one which I think everyone agrees and always has. So if you have a number one then it would make sense a number 2 and so on should follow. This commission did produce a list of items they wanted to get done, to their credit, but not enough long term planning went into it and that is the real issue that we are now faced with.

Not to get to much into this, but the question then becomes how can this be done without possibly overly restricting the hands of the commission? Or would that be a good thing?

I cant help to wounder if any of them would have been elected if they ran on what they are now doing. Some of them did say they wanted to improve Commercial Blvd, but never went into the details or what and how we should pay for it.

So they got an experienced TM to get it done and what is she known for in this regard? The River Walk project in Ft. Lauderdale that when bankrupt because of poor long term planning. Some people learn from mistakes and I hope this is the case for us. I just don't see it.
Learn From Mistakes

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42260 Aug 30, 2013
So they got an experienced TM to get it done and what is she known for in this regard? The River Walk project in Ft. Lauderdale that when bankrupt because of poor long term planning. Some people learn from mistakes and I hope this is the case for us. I just don't see it.
Whatda Think

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42261 Sep 3, 2013
Heard Scot's is going out of business. Been on the corner of ElMar and Commercial for over 55 years. Lost lease to a bar and restaurant business going in there. The new Gulligens also just went out of business off the corner of A1A and Commercial.

Maybe Arthur would be kind enough to give his thoughts on what I see as the problem of our future.

For example and this seems to be happening. We have say a pizza place that does very good business. They do well enough to be able to fix up the place and improve on it from time to time and give back to the community with donations and such.

So then another pizza place opens next door to it.
They both make enough to survive, but neither now can afford to improve or even maintain their business as before. High standards can no longer be afforded.

The main reason for this is not enough parking for
new customers, so the amount of possible customers are fixed to a considerable point.

I guess they have hired a marketing firm to look into this, but I don't think it will be addressed as it should be. I mean do you think they will end up saying we should restrict business because the infrastructure can't handle it?

A parking garage will be great for the area around it. Plus no more roads can be built so it will just become more congested and customers will go someplace else. The kinda customers the town says it wants will simply not put up with being inconvenience in the long term.

When they removed the parking requirements for food and beverage new businesses they opened this door. May not be to late to fix it, but time is running out.

Whatda you think?
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

#42262 Sep 4, 2013
Whatda Think wrote:
Heard Scot's is going out of business. Been on the corner of ElMar and Commercial for over 55 years. Lost lease to a bar and restaurant business going in there. The new Gulligens also just went out of business off the corner of A1A and Commercial.
Maybe Arthur would be kind enough to give his thoughts on what I see as the problem of our future.
For example and this seems to be happening. We have say a pizza place that does very good business. They do well enough to be able to fix up the place and improve on it from time to time and give back to the community with donations and such.
So then another pizza place opens next door to it.
They both make enough to survive, but neither now can afford to improve or even maintain their business as before. High standards can no longer be afforded.
The main reason for this is not enough parking for
new customers, so the amount of possible customers are fixed to a considerable point.
I guess they have hired a marketing firm to look into this, but I don't think it will be addressed as it should be. I mean do you think they will end up saying we should restrict business because the infrastructure can't handle it?
A parking garage will be great for the area around it. Plus no more roads can be built so it will just become more congested and customers will go someplace else. The kinda customers the town says it wants will simply not put up with being inconvenience in the long term.
When they removed the parking requirements for food and beverage new businesses they opened this door. May not be to late to fix it, but time is running out.
Whatda you think?
I guess I became a conservative in a sense that I would be loathe to do a thing such as a master plan and I would be more interested in "piece-mealing" as it was called or doing nothing.

We have a business district in town that seems to be doing fine. Now at this point when I say this somebody says some of these things: we could be Las Olas or there are problems with some hotels.

So let's think about these. I do not think that we will become the new or next Las Olas as a result of the master plan. So we do not have a solution for becoming the new or next Las Olas that is available or achievable or really even being sold to us. Even the master plan claims seem to be getting progressively less ambitious as time goes by. At first the master plan was going to make us next Las Olas but now not so much is claimed any more.

As far as some hotels being run down argument, I think that the residents have to take some responsibility for this. First we have a height limit and constant discussions about relaxing it or not. Without a height limit we would have a 12 or 15 story brand spanking new hotels on the beach in LBTS replacing the "run down" hotels, and all that comes with it. But even the discussions of changing of height limit or relaxing it have an effect of reducing investment in existing buildings because why would you fix it up if you might sell it in a year or two if height limit is changed. You turn hoteliers into speculators.

So without changing the height limit we have the business district that we have, and in my view it is fine. It feels a bit like Key West and it is unique for this metro area. Maybe Deerfield comes close around here but our area seems nicer for some reason.

So if we are not removing the height limit, we "have to" move on to the master plan to fix the business district.

But the outcome of the master plan is uncertain. It could be an improvement, it could have no effect, or it could be a detriment to doing business (if it turns out that we killed our parking).

What is certain, however, is that all this construction is a self inflicted shock to our business district. Whether it is a temporary or long lasting or permanent shock we will see. And I think that we are already in a bad economy so having to deal with this shock is not something that I particularly wanted.
Whatda Think

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42263 Sep 4, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I became a conservative in a sense that I would be loathe to do a thing such as a master plan and I would be more interested in "piece-mealing" as it was called or doing nothing.
We have a business district in town that seems to be doing fine. Now at this point when I say this somebody says some of these things: we could be Las Olas or there are problems with some hotels.
So let's think about these. I do not think that we will become the new or next Las Olas as a result of the master plan. So we do not have a solution for becoming the new or next Las Olas that is available or achievable or really even being sold to us. Even the master plan claims seem to be getting progressively less ambitious as time goes by. At first the master plan was going to make us next Las Olas but now not so much is claimed any more.
As far as some hotels being run down argument, I think that the residents have to take some responsibility for this.
While I agree with most of what you say, I question the responsibility part because it may lead into a justification its ok for the town to be handing out taxpayers dollars to help improve those rundown hotels - as they are doing?

I think there is some justification in the town, also though the will of the people, to place controls to prevent a runaway business atmosphere. If there is such a thing as to little business then there is such as thing as to much.

The requirements for parking for food and bev. establishments was such a control. One would have to show they have enough parking for employees and customers. If not then the real possibility existed parking will be taken from businesses who are already there and had to conform with those rules when they opened up.

Its been said and I think its true, one large new such business will take all the available parking left around that area. Then we will have all out fights between the businesses. I don't think anyone wants that.

Isn't that what the commission should be doing regarding long term planning/thinking on what is best for all of us - not just for tomorrow, but in the years to come?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 min Mothra 54,349
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,263,202
Billy Graham's grandson steps down from Florida... 7 hr USA Today 2
News Popular Megachurch Pastor Who Resigned After 'M... 7 hr USA Today 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 11 hr TRD 70,142
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 19 hr zazz 97,450
Review: Law Offices Of George Castrataro Wed Puppydawg 123
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages