Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42360 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42142 May 22, 2013
pier wrote:
<quoted text>
When did it become free in Pompano? The only way we got on for free was after paying for a meal in the restaurant. The area near the snack shop was free but not to walk out on the pier itself.
I was there a year and 2 years ago and it was free. Also for a good portion of our town's residents it is closer than our LBTS pier.
pier

Pompano Beach, FL

#42143 May 23, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I was there a year and 2 years ago and it was free. Also for a good portion of our town's residents it is closer than our LBTS pier.
That was only a temporary thing while renevations are/were being done. Walking on the end near the beach was free as long as I can remember but not the other section. We use to eat at Fisherman's Warf quite often during the past three decades but they lost their city owned lease a few years ago. In order to get past the ticket gate on the pier you either had to give them ticket from the restaurant or pay up. The lease was given to another company and Pompano is making quite a few bucks on this deal. My cousin use to fish off that pier and he had to pay to do this.
pier

Pompano Beach, FL

#42144 May 27, 2013
You are right Arthur, the pier looks like it is free these days. Drove by it today. Hope it stays that way. I wonder what happened to the plans for putting an upscale restaurant there?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42145 May 27, 2013
pier wrote:
You are right Arthur, the pier looks like it is free these days. Drove by it today. Hope it stays that way. I wonder what happened to the plans for putting an upscale restaurant there?
My uncle visited me this winter. He said that it makes sense for the pier to be free for visitors because it is a town attraction. I like the idea in theory.

However, in practice I think that it is a bad deal for town's taxpayers. I am flexible in changing my mind. However the idea is for how much and how can we quantify the risk of owning one.

In any event thank you for coming back and saying what you did. I was going there tomorrow to check.

One of the problems that I have in this town is that people tell me that I am full of shit about something but I am right about with a straight face. I always go and check anyhow and report back. I will go check tomorrow myself. You should check if I or anybody tells you that you are wrong. This is what it is all about. We make decisions based on true information. Then we will live in a great town. This is what I think that you and I want.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42146 May 27, 2013
pier wrote:
You are right Arthur, the pier looks like it is free these days. Drove by it today. Hope it stays that way. I wonder what happened to the plans for putting an upscale restaurant there?
The thing about putting upscale restaurant there is that you have to understand that town officials are not experts. If it made sense to have an upscale restaurant there then an upscale restaurant would have materialized there without Pompano official's involvement. However, Pompano officials think that they are the shit so they make plans using taxpayers money and then the upscale restaurant does not materialize. Then everybody is wondering as to what is happening with with Atlantic. Why is it not the next Las Olas.

Be very careful when town officials have plans. They are not experts. They just play with your money. The experts are the people running local businesses. I am an expert but there are others. Some of us will befriend town officials so that they build parking garages and such. Some of us really like this country and say no more to corporate welfare and parking garages and such.
Planned Failure

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42147 May 28, 2013
When coming over the over the bridge it looks like all the businesses along Commercial on the right hand side are closed. And the parking along the left side corner street is also fenced off.

So I called town hall and this is what they told me.

We send out flyers explaining what will be going on. This project will be done by November. I asked if that meant no parking until them and they said no, but the work will be done in stages drainage being first and that should be done in a couple of weeks. Then I said will the parking be available then and they said no. The 2nd stage for the rest of the work will then be done and they don't know how long that will take.

My take on this is they told us what will be but nothing about what will be closed off and for how long.

Now the issue that really gets me as I've been in that business. It looks like they setting up to maximized their profits which is what I've would have done, if I could.

What would've cost a little more and may save some businesses because there is no what they can survive without adequate parking, would be to only close off the areas that are needed to be closed and move along in steps - not all at once.

This is the fault of the town administration who only seemed to focus on what is being done and not how it's being done. All the consultants and those who they hired to help along are on the side of the contractors - not the people and businesses. They should know better, more proof they cant think for themselves and the town manager is taking care of her people over the towns people.

The whole point of doing this is to help businesses along Commercial. The end result may be the loss of many of them. This will also mean no chance of any of the siting commission getting reelected.

Most of the businesses will go out of business as they must have available parking to survive.


arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42148 May 28, 2013
Planned Failure wrote:
When coming over the over the bridge it looks like all the businesses along Commercial on the right hand side are closed. And the parking along the left side corner street is also fenced off.
So I called town hall and this is what they told me.
We send out flyers explaining what will be going on. This project will be done by November. I asked if that meant no parking until them and they said no, but the work will be done in stages drainage being first and that should be done in a couple of weeks. Then I said will the parking be available then and they said no. The 2nd stage for the rest of the work will then be done and they don't know how long that will take.
My take on this is they told us what will be but nothing about what will be closed off and for how long.
Now the issue that really gets me as I've been in that business. It looks like they setting up to maximized their profits which is what I've would have done, if I could.
What would've cost a little more and may save some businesses because there is no what they can survive without adequate parking, would be to only close off the areas that are needed to be closed and move along in steps - not all at once.
This is the fault of the town administration who only seemed to focus on what is being done and not how it's being done. All the consultants and those who they hired to help along are on the side of the contractors - not the people and businesses. They should know better, more proof they cant think for themselves and the town manager is taking care of her people over the towns people.
The whole point of doing this is to help businesses along Commercial. The end result may be the loss of many of them. This will also mean no chance of any of the siting commission getting reelected.
Most of the businesses will go out of business as they must have available parking to survive.
Maybe this is the clever way to hit up residents for a parking garage for building owners.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42149 May 29, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe this is the clever way to hit up residents for a parking garage for building owners.
I thought the only way it can happen is if a private party did so because it made good business sense.

One of those telling actions happened at the end of yesterdays meeting. The Mayor suggested they place in the budget for next year a - garage. The TM, acting totally shocked, responded twice by asking are you serious to which Minnet said there are 3 commissioners who agree. So she is going to do it. Check out the video.

By the way, before that item they discussed parking lots and the town code. Town code says you need handicap spots, a certain distance wide and landscaping. If they enforced the current code many would loose spaces. Sasser and Vincent asked the right questions as why would a valet lot need handicap spaces as the only one who use it would be a private service? Then it got stupid. Really stupid.

But maybe not, maybe its another way to justify a garage. When in fact all they had to do is create another code for private lots as opposed to public used lots. Make it safe, but that's about all you would have to deal with. Problem solved. But no, that didn't happen. They just ended up confusing the issue even more.

What would be a good question is maybe they are in fact in violation when they took away most of the green space on the towns public lot next to Wings which they recently redid to increase the available spots?

And its that same lot the mayor a couple of meetings ago said there was not enough room to build a garage on that spot to which the TM said there was! Just after they spent??? redoing it.

Gee, I wounder what will happen next?



arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42150 May 30, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the only way it can happen is if a private party did so because it made good business sense.
One of those telling actions happened at the end of yesterdays meeting. The Mayor suggested they place in the budget for next year a - garage. The TM, acting totally shocked, responded twice by asking are you serious to which Minnet said there are 3 commissioners who agree. So she is going to do it. Check out the video.
By the way, before that item they discussed parking lots and the town code. Town code says you need handicap spots, a certain distance wide and landscaping. If they enforced the current code many would loose spaces. Sasser and Vincent asked the right questions as why would a valet lot need handicap spaces as the only one who use it would be a private service? Then it got stupid. Really stupid.
But maybe not, maybe its another way to justify a garage. When in fact all they had to do is create another code for private lots as opposed to public used lots. Make it safe, but that's about all you would have to deal with. Problem solved. But no, that didn't happen. They just ended up confusing the issue even more.
What would be a good question is maybe they are in fact in violation when they took away most of the green space on the towns public lot next to Wings which they recently redid to increase the available spots?
And its that same lot the mayor a couple of meetings ago said there was not enough room to build a garage on that spot to which the TM said there was! Just after they spent??? redoing it.
Gee, I wounder what will happen next?
If you wanted to help parking situation in town it is also about matching people with parking spaces.

We have El Prado parking lot which is full in best location and we have A1A parking lot which is empty in a bad location. So what you do is you increase parking fee in the best location, El Prado. This way people who care about best location park in El Prado, and people who care about cheap parking will park on A1A and walk to the beach.

There could be other reasons why some people would choose El Prado over A1A. Maybe they have small kids and do not want to cross the street with them or maybe they are staying longer or shorter. For example somebody who is going to restaurants will gladly pay $4 for 2 hours, while somebody who is going to the beach for 5 hours might consider El Prado too expensive and go to A1A lot for $6.50 instead of $10.

As it is now you have first come first serve parking in our premiere parking lot on El Prado (and portals and the parking spot next to Pelican Square). Instead we should have first come first serve in the A1A lot. As it is we have one full lot on El Prado and one empty on A1A.

You do not have to make a big jump. Increase it by a quarter in El Prado and see what happens. Then you keep increasing parking fee in El Prado until it gets a little empty.

Before you build an empty parking garage in a bad location let's optimize what we have. At the very least we will find out if the garage location is good or bad.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42151 May 30, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wanted to help parking situation in town it is also about matching people with parking spaces.
We have El Prado parking lot which is full in best location and we have A1A parking lot which is empty in a bad location. So what you do is you increase parking fee in the best location, El Prado. This way people who care about best location park in El Prado, and people who care about cheap parking will park on A1A and walk to the beach.
There could be other reasons why some people would choose El Prado over A1A. Maybe they have small kids and do not want to cross the street with them or maybe they are staying longer or shorter. For example somebody who is going to restaurants will gladly pay $4 for 2 hours, while somebody who is going to the beach for 5 hours might consider El Prado too expensive and go to A1A lot for $6.50 instead of $10.
As it is now you have first come first serve parking in our premiere parking lot on El Prado (and portals and the parking spot next to Pelican Square). Instead we should have first come first serve in the A1A lot. As it is we have one full lot on El Prado and one empty on A1A.
You do not have to make a big jump. Increase it by a quarter in El Prado and see what happens. Then you keep increasing parking fee in El Prado until it gets a little empty.
Before you build an empty parking garage in a bad location let's optimize what we have. At the very least we will find out if the garage location is good or bad.
Absolutely logical action to take.
The Town Needs YOU

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42152 May 30, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wanted to help parking situation in town it is also about matching people with parking spaces.
We have El Prado parking lot which is full in best location and we have A1A parking lot which is empty in a bad location. So what you do is you increase parking fee in the best location, El Prado. This way people who care about best location park in El Prado, and people who care about cheap parking will park on A1A and walk to the beach.
There could be other reasons why some people would choose El Prado over A1A. Maybe they have small kids and do not want to cross the street with them or maybe they are staying longer or shorter. For example somebody who is going to restaurants will gladly pay $4 for 2 hours, while somebody who is going to the beach for 5 hours might consider El Prado too expensive and go to A1A lot for $6.50 instead of $10.
As it is now you have first come first serve parking in our premiere parking lot on El Prado (and portals and the parking spot next to Pelican Square). Instead we should have first come first serve in the A1A lot. As it is we have one full lot on El Prado and one empty on A1A.
You do not have to make a big jump. Increase it by a quarter in El Prado and see what happens. Then you keep increasing parking fee in El Prado until it gets a little empty.
Before you build an empty parking garage in a bad location let's optimize what we have. At the very least we will find out if the garage location is good or bad.
Arthur, You have a good mind, education, and
Common Sense ..... Run for Office in LBTS ..... the town needs You!
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42153 May 31, 2013
The Town Needs YOU wrote:
<quoted text>
Arthur, You have a good mind, education, and
Common Sense ..... Run for Office in LBTS ..... the town needs You!
Thank you. I am doing really well as it is I think. I always have a potential to run against anybody. Once I run I have no such potential. But if I am watching and doing a good job I can always run against anybody.

I think that this works really well right now. If it is a matter of survival of family business I will definitely run and fight to my utmost capacity. But in any event, even if I lose, the family home is here and I am much younger so I cannot be gotten rid of. I will just be very extra super motivated.

If you run and win and want to do what is best for our town I will always help you and the town.

This is where I stand.

Make plans for what is best for you accordingly.
Royal Palms Down

United States

#42154 Jun 4, 2013
They are getting ready to cut down the Royal Palms on Commercial as I write this at 9am.
This was not part of the plans I saw and why cant they at least try to sell them instead of killing them?
A disgrace!!!
Relocating palms

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42155 Jun 4, 2013
Royal Palms Down wrote:
They are getting ready to cut down the Royal Palms on Commercial as I write this at 9am.
This was not part of the plans I saw and why cant they at least try to sell them instead of killing them?
A disgrace!!!
when the palms are too large or too old it would cost fortune to
try to save or relocate them within our town, and probably would not be cost effective to sell them or give them away then wait for pick up of the palms

I agree, they could have been saved and included in the new plan
Jimbo Silverstone

Pompano Beach, FL

#42156 Jun 4, 2013
Royal Palms Down wrote:
They are getting ready to cut down the Royal Palms on Commercial as I write this at 9am.
This was not part of the plans I saw and why cant they at least try to sell them instead of killing them?
A disgrace!!!
Maybe we can save those 60 thousand dollar flagpoles that you and your best bud Mc Intee wanted, hang you on it and have your friend Jerry S take some pictures. Talk about a disgrace oh I forgot what ever happened to that fire truck that was a great deal ?
To Jimbo

Pompano Beach, FL

#42157 Jun 4, 2013
Jimbo Silverstone wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe we can save those 60 thousand dollar flagpoles that you and your best bud Mc Intee wanted, hang you on it and have your friend Jerry S take some pictures. Talk about a disgrace oh I forgot what ever happened to that fire truck that was a great deal ?
Silverstone is a much better person than you will ever be. Making nasty attacks while hiding behind a screen is something any jerk and coward can do.
Fact

Pompano Beach, FL

#42158 Jun 4, 2013
To Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Silverstone is a much better person than you will ever be. Making nasty attacks while hiding behind a screen is something any jerk and coward can do.
65 Percent of the voters agreed in the last election no need to hide behind this blog we told him loud and clear and he still doesn't get it.
Look it up

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42159 Jun 5, 2013
They were going to place large white pelicans at the entrance ways, an idea from Arcker and his paper the Future was promoting. Remember??
Silverstone came up with the idea of replacing that with flag poles until a better idea came along.
I know this because I was one of many who called him to complain about spending over something like 300k on the pelicans. Which, if done, would have been taken down with this new plan.
This can be looked up and is what use to be called a fact, but has since lost meaning around here.
Fact

Pompano Beach, FL

#42160 Jun 5, 2013
Look it up wrote:
They were going to place large white pelicans at the entrance ways, an idea from Arcker and his paper the Future was promoting. Remember??
Silverstone came up with the idea of replacing that with flag poles until a better idea came along.
I know this because I was one of many who called him to complain about spending over something like 300k on the pelicans. Which, if done, would have been taken down with this new plan.
This can be looked up and is what use to be called a fact, but has since lost meaning around here.
You are correct about Jim coming up with the flag poles and I remember the talk about the pelicans, but I do not remember the cost of pelicans.I wonder how you know that the pelicans that might have been at the entrance to town would have been destroyed in the new plan. Do you have some sixth sense?I guess it wasn't working when you and Jim lost the election.
Important meeting Monday

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42161 Jun 5, 2013
your attention is needed to proposed changes of the charter

this Monday June 10th at 6:30 PM the Commission is having an important special meeting regarding possible changes to the town Charter as reviewed by the Charter Review Board

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,457,640
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 8 min zazz 98,270
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Mothra 62,299
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Ize Found 71,230
News Fort Lauderdale: Woman critical after freight t... (Jul '08) 18 hr Leelee126 123
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Thu 3 Cats 312,661
Review: Dixie Cycle (Jun '09) Nov 23 john Doe 13

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages