Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42363 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

Hidden

United States

#42123 May 15, 2013
bad idea costs too much wrote:
bogainvilea needs plenty of sunshine in order to bloom, it is a freeform flowing gorgeous vine
but planting graceful bogainvileas inside sturdy steel umbrella shaped sculpture costing $64,000 is
outrageous mistake
bougainvillea would look much better if simply planted into the ground or when planted in attractive large terra cotta containers
Plus the fact the plant once grown will hide most of structure!
save landscape money

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42124 May 15, 2013
http://www.floridata.com/ref/J/jatr_int.cfm

instead of trying to create a steel umbrella shaped tree with bougainvillea which requires constant maintenance plus has sharp thorns

why not purchase an easy to care for inexpensive
already grown tree with pretty blooms such as
jatropha which attracts birds & butterflies, is draught tolerant and grows in ground or in terracotta containers

planting Jatropha trees in attractive containers would probably cost the town less than $4,000 for
eight trees along with terracotta containers .....
instead of spending $64,000 on structure which will most likely RUST
WM was garbage

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42125 May 15, 2013
wheres the bargain wrote:
our garbage bill was lower with WM
WM is far more professional trash service
Mine was much higher with WM. Choice/WSI is saving me over $500 a year for a better service.
trash

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42126 May 15, 2013
WM was garbage wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine was much higher with WM. Choice/WSI is saving me over $500 a year for a better service.
you get what you pay for, i.e., second rate trash service
bougainvillea ripoff

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42127 May 15, 2013
recent CREATE station plant show demonstrated hw to build bougainvillea tree structures, which according to the show did not cost more than couple hundred dollars to build, that included the
bougainvillea vine, it was mentioned these would need high maintenance to train the plant to grow thru the rebar type structure

the $64,000 expensive question is why is the town paying for these when they are somewhat unattractive structures which can be built by handy craftsperson, they are not sculptures,
$64,000 is outrageous price for the end result

bougainvillea would look much better on a white
lattice trellis or planted in attractive clay containers
pier

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#42128 May 15, 2013
Pay For It wrote:
<quoted text>
If Pier and Parking Lot were for sale the town could not afford it. It is being leased because the family desires to keep control.
Yes, we could. And no they don't.
waste of your money

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42129 May 15, 2013
why the heck is the town redoing commercial blvd
which looks very good now because it was redone
approx less than 10 years ago
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42130 May 16, 2013
waste of your money wrote:
why the heck is the town redoing commercial blvd
which looks very good now because it was redone
approx less than 10 years ago
Over time you heard the reasons during meetings from the dais and consultants.

1. We have to do something.
2. It has to be big.
3. It will not cost taxpayers anything (because the money is already there). One consultant at a meeting said that the only cost she can think of is dealing with dust.

Then during public comments you will hear from certain extremely homesteaded individuals also that:

4. The cost does not matter because these individuals' taxes are already low.

It would be funny if it were not true.
P and Z

Pompano Beach, FL

#42131 May 16, 2013
Coming to an El Mar hotel near you...

http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/6051143/il_f...
PARKER HAD GOOD IDEA

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42132 May 18, 2013
Pier Fishing wrote:
Town should purchase the Pier along
with the Pier parking lot.
Mayor Parker suggested that years ago when the Pier was available.
pier

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#42133 May 18, 2013
PARKER HAD GOOD IDEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayor Parker suggested that years ago when the Pier was available.
So did Commissioner Furth but it was a no deal thanks to Commissioners Yanni, Kennedy and Wessel, the "brilliant" trio.
Whats wrong w Brown

United States

#42134 May 19, 2013
Couple meetings ago he was the only one who voted against donating $900 donation for our troops to come stay thru USO ( never mind voting to spend 2 million for commercial) sounds un-American and last meeting he threw The Charter Review Committee under the bus by stating "they accomplished nothing in a year.. Made no decisions and threw it back in our ( commissions)lap)hmm wonder what his buddy board members chuck and ron think especially after getting him elected.....
His Way

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42135 May 21, 2013
Whats wrong w Brown wrote:
Couple meetings ago he was the only one who voted against donating $900 donation for our troops to come stay thru USO ( never mind voting to spend 2 million for commercial) sounds un-American and last meeting he threw The Charter Review Committee under the bus by stating "they accomplished nothing in a year.. Made no decisions and threw it back in our ( commissions)lap)hmm wonder what his buddy board members chuck and ron think especially after getting him elected.....
Brown will have nothing to do with his former do boys. He took the time and effort to speak to them, the mayors term limits and other items he would like changed. They did not vote his way and now will know how politics really work. He will act nice on the surface but will never do anything for them. Kiss the chamber goodbye Ron.
They are now doing their best to let him know they had no choice. He won't have any of that. His master Arker is not happy and they all know what happens when he gets upset. Even Connie is worried as she gets how things get done around here and what happens when they don't.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42136 May 21, 2013
pier wrote:
<quoted text>
So did Commissioner Furth but it was a no deal thanks to Commissioners Yanni, Kennedy and Wessel, the "brilliant" trio.
I would not want the town to buy the pier either.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42137 May 21, 2013
What would the town's residents gain from owning the pier?

Are we really expecting that pier admission would be free for us if we owned that business?

If so then why is not beach parking free? We own the parking lots. They are not free to us.

So why would town's taxpayers pay millions to own the pier?

I would just like to hear the case for owning the pier.
pier

Pompano Beach, FL

#42138 May 21, 2013
arthur wrote:
What would the town's residents gain from owning the pier?
Are we really expecting that pier admission would be free for us if we owned that business?
If so then why is not beach parking free? We own the parking lots. They are not free to us.
So why would town's taxpayers pay millions to own the pier?
I would just like to hear the case for owning the pier.
Our pier is the only privately owned pier in the area. All the others are owned by cities/towns. Some residents think that the town owns the pier. The town could get the admission fees and offer residends discounted passes. The town could also get revenue from leasing the restaurant and fishing shop like Pompano and other do.
arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42139 May 22, 2013
pier wrote:
<quoted text>
Our pier is the only privately owned pier in the area. All the others are owned by cities/towns. Some residents think that the town owns the pier. The town could get the admission fees and offer residends discounted passes. The town could also get revenue from leasing the restaurant and fishing shop like Pompano and other do.
All the other piers are owned by municipalities that are much larger than LBTS. For them owning a pier is not as significant as it would be for LBTS because larger municipalities have a lot more assets and taxpayers to spread the cost and risk around. If something goes wrong with the pier it may financially overwhelm a small town such as ours while for larger municipalities it may be of a magnitude of a margin of error. Actually, it would make more sense not for a municipality but for Broward county to own it.

A pier could be a business run by our town. However, would it be a profitable business or another money hole? Do not forget that, unless something changed recently, the town is already in the business of "renting" the warehouse on Dixie and we are "making money" on parking once we assume that the parking lots did not cost us as much as they did or that they came free.

To make money on a business you have to not overpay for it in the first place. So when you buy a business the key question is for how much. Depending on the answer to that question it may not make sense already. You cannot just say that somebody is for or against buying something if the price of it is not even known or considered.

Either you will pay for admission as you do now or you will pay for it through a combination of admission charge and your property taxes. Depending on the purchase price and the long term profitability of such business and town's ability to run such a business you may even pay more to use it when it is owned by LBTS.

The hope here is that since everybody would be paying for it then the people who would be using the pier would actually pay less because people who would not use the pier would have to pay anyhow. So maybe somebody is looking for a free town perk, that is not so free. I think that it is more fair for people who actually use the pier to pay for it through admission charge.

If that admission charge is too high let's not forget that there is a free pier in Pompano.
Pier View

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42140 May 22, 2013
There is a number of ways of looking at the value of the pier.
Lets first imagine we didn't have one.
What would be the difference?

If it wasn't there it would attract less people. I could argue the current businesses are bringing many people into town due to the pier in the first place, but since they are doing well its not really needed anymore unless your into fishing then as said before you can always go to pompano - for free.

I think it's an attraction which brings people into town. This is good for the business and the people who need them.

If the town does buy it it should only do so if its important to maintain or improve on something that would benefit all of town.

In my final analysis - keep it private. Its falling apart anyway so the owners may be thinking of getting rid of it now while its worth something. Or the idea above about the country buying it would be good as most who do use it come from outside of town.

pier

Pompano Beach, FL

#42141 May 22, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Either you will pay for admission as you do now or you will pay for it through a combination of admission charge and your property taxes. Depending on the purchase price and the long term profitability of such business and town's ability to run such a business you may even pay more to use it when it is owned by LBTS.
The hope here is that since everybody would be paying for it then the people who would be using the pier would actually pay less because people who would not use the pier would have to pay anyhow. So maybe somebody is looking for a free town perk, that is not so free. I think that it is more fair for people who actually use the pier to pay for it through admission charge.
If that admission charge is too high let's not forget that there is a free pier in Pompano.
When did it become free in Pompano? The only way we got on for free was after paying for a meal in the restaurant. The area near the snack shop was free but not to walk out on the pier itself.
arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#42142 May 22, 2013
pier wrote:
<quoted text>
When did it become free in Pompano? The only way we got on for free was after paying for a meal in the restaurant. The area near the snack shop was free but not to walk out on the pier itself.
I was there a year and 2 years ago and it was free. Also for a good portion of our town's residents it is closer than our LBTS pier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min OBAMANATION 1,534,864
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr ffj 314,323
News Principal of Deerfield Elementary reassigned pe... (Nov '06) 6 hr Lawknows 636
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) 16 hr Lucy 71
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 19 hr TRD 71,288
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) 22 hr Love my pitties 1,039
CardioFlex Therapy joins Medicaid! 23 hr CardioFlex 1

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages